Post-Apocalyptic Funding: Wasteland 2′s First Screenshot

By John Walker on July 21st, 2012 at 11:11 am.

Click me!

The very first screenshot from Brian Fargo’s Kickstarted Wasteland 2 has emerged, and it’s a doozy. Click on the pic above to see it full size. Describing it as “a first pass”, the Unity game is clearly already looking splendid. Fargo also points out that it’s lacking particle effects and post-processing, and that it’s just one environment, and the camera angle isn’t fixed, and and and… Brian! It’s okay! It’s a great shot! Look at that scorpion!

There’s a huge amount of info about the look and style on the Kickstarter page, including the good news that they’re taken with the more modern take on post-apocalyptic worlds – the city retaken by nature.

“This new conception gives us the opportunity to generate a variety of environment types while staying true to the narrative. It also allows the location and geology to dictate the flora and fauna, as well as the manner and state of decay. From the dry deserts and icy mountaintops of Arizona to the coastal conditions of LA and larger southern California region, each region generates its own flavor.”

He also discusses how they’re happily using a number of Unity’s pre-built packages for assets in the game, although keeping all character design in-house.

“RPGs have always generated strong relationships between the player and the characters they craft and breathe life into as the game progresses. And to this end, we will be working to create characters that can be read cleanly with our camera angles. Strong silhouettes and bold colors in costuming and accessories, and their animations and poses working with a camera angle (that is still being tested), seemed a tall order for this approach, and so in this shot a few examples of that effort are present.”

, , , .

1. StickyNavels says:

Wow! That looks pretty impressive. Really nice art direction, great use of colors. They’re using the Unity engine, right? I imagine WL2 will become a bit of a poster child.

EDIT:: Oops. Ought to read the article first…

2. caddyB says:

AWWWWWW That looks lovely!

Show me the UI, though.

• AngoraFish says:

I also love the colours/art. I’ve had enough of the washed-out Fallout aesthetic.

3. nanophage says:

Now I know RTS/RPG hybrids have never been well known for their sense of realistic scale but look at the size of that gas station! The “cartoony” art style really take away from the post-apoc setting imo.

Its hard to take the setting seriously when bright colors and absurdly out of scale objects are cluttering the landscape. Then again, maybe that’s the point.

• John Walker says:

I don’t follow. The gas station looks entirely in scale to me, matching the size of the cars and the people. What’s the issue?

• Anzcm says:

It looks slightly out of scale, not absurdly so, in my opinion. I’d need a ladder for that ladder, however.

The cartoony/stylized style is a bit of a disappointment, if that’s really what it is. It’s difficult to tell from one screenshot.

• InternetBatman says:

I think the ladder is in scale, the people are the ones out of scale. The ladder’s 2+ car lengths, which is about the right length. It is a bit wide, but I imagine most homemade ladders are, and it is less than the width of a car.

• Baines says:

The ladder is out of scale. The main problem is the distance between rungs. It looks like the first rung is around waist height and the second is head height. It is climbable, but barely. (I’ve used a homemade ladder with somewhat similar spacing, and it was an unpleasant experience.)

I think this is what people are noticing, even if they aren’t noticing that it is what they are noticing. The ladder is making people think something is wrong with the scale, though almost like an optical illusion they might think it is the people, the buildings, or the cars that are wrong (because from my experience people don’t tend to think about what is or is not appropriate ladder rung distance.)

Though I admit I also wonder where they found rails that long.

• InternetBatman says:

Telephone poles shaved down (for whatever reason) would do the trick. You’re definitely right about the rungs though.

• evileeyore says:

The ladder is out of scale, but that’s it…

My complaint is that the lack of colors. Even the cars are dirt colored.

• JackShandy says:

The dirt is orange, though, not brown.

• Solidstate89 says:

What do you suppose a long destroyed and rusted out car would look like?

• evileeyore says:

I would expect it to be rust colored. Not orange colored.

• Solidstate89 says:

Well unless you want to get into pedant territory (which you seemingly do) rust is, for the most part, an orange-ish color.

• bill says:

The guys below are complaining it has too much colour and photoshopping it to look like CoD

• roryok says:

rust not dirt. silly.

• Xerian says:

No, its not. Its, as you can obviously see, self-made, therefore theres no real scale, just decent craftmanship. (And I’d be able to climb it, and so would the majority of you guys without problems, thus its not really out of scale.)

• nanophage says:

Yeah your right now that I look at it again. The gas pumps looked ginormous but I was just looking at it weird. I blame being up to late reading RPS instead of sleeping like a human being.

@ people below, god forbid someone have an opinion. You’re all welcome to say yours but don’t act all taken aback when others don’t agree with it. I should have been clearer in my wording – the art style is an interesting choice for such a setting. Its not a bad choice, just different and not how I would have expected it. In addition the art style to me doesn’t really portray the setting well, despite how realistic the colors may be in comparision with real life.

• chiefnewo says:

I’m starting to think news sites will need to post screenshots of the original Wasteland next to any of the new Wasteland 2 screenshots for all those people who can’t read.

• BAshment says:

Everything is bigger in America (excluding character models)

• rustybroomhandle says:

Lots of people are whinging about the “cartoony” style, but I like it. “Realistic” will just end up aging poorly, especially since they have a limited budget.

• nanophage says:

I like the art style. I just happen to get more of a “alien world” vibe from the environment then a “bleak, destroyed earth.” But being a first pass without all the extra polish and particles its probably too early to really tell the direction their going with it at this point.

• Premium User Badge Cinek says:

This one already looks poorly.
        If you want to see decently looking cartoonish style see Borderlands or XIII. This one looks like cheap, poor graphics from 4 or 5 years ago.
        I’m underwhelmed.

• MSJ says:

When I think of Wasteland, one of the things I picture are those cartoony-looking GIFs of the characters and creatures you encounter from the original game. Especially that ghoul-mutant-thing.

• pilouuuu says:

Mmm have you ever seen Civilization IV or V? Or a real pen & paper RPG? I wouldn’t say those have a realistic scale, but I don’t think that’s really a problem at all.

• Nick says:

TBS!

• Shuck says:

“bright colors”
      You realize that many deserts in the American west (where the game takes place) are even more saturated than that, right?

I’m a bit disturbed by all the nit-picking over the graphics. Were people expecting a AAA game? You know they didn’t raise a fraction of the resources to make a AAA game, right? In fact, when you subtract the fees and the cost of the Kickstarter campaign gifts, the amount they raised is probably less than half of the budget that the original Fallout had (about four and a third million dollars, adjusted for inflation). Think about that – they’re doing a game on (at least) the scale of Fallout with half the budget. It’s going to look a little rough.

• abandonhope says:

No, I don’t think they do. Judging by the length of the shadows it is either just after sunrise or approaching sunset, which makes the vibrant, bathed-in-light look fairly representative of reality.

• codename_bloodfist says:

This has nothing to do with budget. I just don’t like the general art direction. It looks like a it’s-cartoony-cause-we-can’t-draw indie isometric shooter. For an RPG that is supposed to have depth, this looks terribly distracting. That being said, I doubt it will stay like this.

• Kinth says:

It isn’t really cartoony, remember this is a screen shot of a game that has been in development for about 2 months. it’s expected to take a year at the very least to finish. They haven’t even settled fully on a style, this screenshot is more like concept art than anything else really, it’s more of a quick mock up to show what the game could look like. The reason they show it is because they said they would show development phases when they made the kickstarter.

It looks slightly cartoony because the textures aren’t fully detailed yet, there is no bump mapping and the lighting is still in a very basic form and many other details are missing. Which gives all the object that soft rounded kind of something not right look. The game will still be in the planning phase and stuff like this is to try out styles. The sheen and polish comes later in development. They have also said they don’t want it to be just brown and grim. A nuclear apocalypse doesn’t mean everything suddenly loses it’s colour.

• Quarex says:

Why is everyone giving this comment a pass on the single most preposterous thing it says?

“RTS/RPG hybrid”

???

Are you sure you have been following Wasteland 2′s development, and not thinking of Fallout Tactics or something? Even that is not quite right, as I believe it was turn-based, not real-time? Wasteland 2 is as pure RPG as an RPG can get.

• Crazy Horse says:

Oh for the love of sweet Scorpitron! Ladder scale and gamma? Really? There is a giant robot scorpion in that screenshot people and I want to have it’s babies.

• jryan says:

I agree, look at that scorpion! Totally out of scale.

4. Luke says:

Robot Scorpion!

5. coldvvvave says:

Honestly, this picture doesn’t look any good.

• Tuco says:

I’m not too fond of the style, too.

• Crius says:

absolutely agreed.

But this is the first image out. Some games change completely (graphically) when you see the image at the release date. Let’s wait-

• Premium User Badge Cinek says:

Yep, I’m very underwhelmed.
      Looks like game made 4-5 years ago. Not an 2012-2013 production.

6. Inigo says:

The JPG artifacts aren’t helping at all.

• LionsPhil says:

At least RPS have put the full-size version up. The backer e-mail gives a reduced version and tells you to go to Facebook for the full one. To hell with that.

7. pRiM8 says:

Looks ok for what it is but I do wonder what’s next to the big mech-scorpion? They seem to be more interested in that.

• Fuzzball says:

I think they’re attacking its weak points. Possibly for massive damage.

8. Xardas Kane says:

A bit too saturated and colourful for my taste. I’m not saying go all FO3 on us, but it almost look cartoonish. Still, that aside, big thumbs up from me, definitely looks like the game I wanted when I gave Fargo my 50 bucks.

9. Scrofa says:

That robot scorpion looks like shit and I’ve donated 115 for this. I really hope they’ll improve.

• elevown says:

Are you mad?? For a first pass Alpha it looks frigging great – wtf are you expecting – crysis 4 gfx?

• Scrofa says:

I don’t like the design of it, I mean a giant robot scorpion? Overall I’m a little disappointed, don’t like the gamma. Characters look good though.

• elevown says:

You DO remember fallout had both giant robots and giant scorpions right? I think it looks better than fallouts giant buzz lightyear!

It could also be only in the game once not hundreds of them- it might not even make it in – also the pallete might change – though i think it looks fine. You know alpha builds arnt exactly end product.

What palette besides brown/grey can you use for a wasteland? It also says there will be cities reclaimed by nature type areas- they wil be all green id assume.

All alpha is meant to show is the overall quality and an idea of what they are going for. There is zero point nit picking details because its far too early to say what will be in.

Lastly- it ISNT fallout- its the game that inspired it- it can add whatever it likes that they think fits.

• Imbecile says:

Uh you do realise that the original Wasteland had armored Rabbits and plenty of general wackiness, and that a giant robot scorpion was featured in some of the provisional artwork. How much research did you do before splashing out?

• Saarlaender39 says:

Okay, I have to get this out, or else I might explode…
          Has any of you ever played the original?

That “scorpion”, “big scorpion”, “big-mech scorpion”, “robot scorpion” and “giant robot scorpion” actually has a name.

It`s called a SCORPITRON!

And now if you’ll excuse me, I`ll go and take a sedative.

• evileeyore says:

BINGO!

Indeed had there failed to be a Scorpitron, I’d have felt my money was wasted.

• Solidstate89 says:

I’ve never even played the Original Wasteland and even I know that it had giant Mech Scorpions in it. I mean seriously dude…

• Mctittles says:

“First pass alpha”

I cannot think of any time in the history of my gaming life that a final game has looked better than the original released screenshots/concept art.

• roryok says:

I choose to believe that the robot scorpion is merely a statue put there to attract more customers to the gas station. The player characters are pointing their weapons at some antique cans set up on a wall just out of shot, for target practice

• ResonanceCascade says:

Reply fail.

• bozhen88 says:

I would expect it to be rust colored. Not orange colored.
        [img]http://www.dubaa.info/good.gif[/img]

• wodin says:

All I can say to you sir is more fool you. You paid $115 thinking your going to get a game looking exactly how you want it, yet others may have paid $250 expecting the game that looks how they want it which is nothing like the way you want it. You spent $115 on something you hadn’t even seen a screenshot on. Then complain when a screenshot comes out. Very funny.

There is another saying..a fool and his money is easily parted.

10. greg_ritter says:

Looks really nice, but that scorpion-thing looks out of place. Man, I thought it would be something akin to Fallout, with reasonable technology, not fucking giant scorpions built of scrap.

• elevown says:

It IS akin to fallout! it looks realy close in style to fallout 1 and 2! And 1 giant scorpion robot wouldnt change that!

Fallout has always had tons of advanced tech- mech suits, big robots etc- its always had stuff built out of scrap and junk- normaly towns, houses etc- so combining them suddenly is massively genre breaking lol??

• LionsPhil says:

FO1 wasn’t quite so cartoony.

That’s “quite”, not “FO1 was deadly serious ALL THE TIME”.

The combining comment is ridiculous. That’s saying that because the Brotherhood/Enclave could still build/maintain power armour, that therefore Klamath could out of scrap.

• greg_ritter says:

Nope.
          Fallout universe’s technology is pre-war techology. All robots and all hi-tech gadgets were made pre-war, and so their existence is justified. But giant robo-scorpions? That’s borderline ridiculous. I’ve had no problem with trucks made of scrap or forts – but something so hi-tech like autonomious (i suppose) robot scorpion? It’s just stupid.
          I’m nt saying that this game will be bad, of couse not. I just don’t like this scorpion.

• LionsPhil says:

IIRC, the Enclave did have some manufacturing capability. (Which is nitpicking rather, since we seem to agree.)

• Tommando says:

How do you know it was built from scrap? Sure it’s rusty and beat up, but maybe that’s because it was built before the war.

• theleif says:

Fallout had exploding cows and UFO:s.

• greg_ritter says:

Honestly, it doesn’t look like it was built by military. Why do you need giant scorpion?
            Also, yes, on a closer look I can see some kind of military camouflage, but again, army giant sacorpions are a bit silly. Well, not a bit – a lot.

• LionsPhil says:

The exploding brahmin were in Fallout 2, which was sillier than 1.

• theleif says:

@greg_ritter says:
            “Why do you need giant scorpion?”
            For the same reasons you need a diamond dildo, a rocket boat or a chainsword. Not very practical but filled with awesomeness..

@LionsPhil
            True.

• Tommando says:

Is it really all that silly? Robotics designers borrow ideas from nature all the time and if you think about it something like a scorpion is a pretty good body plan for a robot in terms of functionality. Having said that, the original Wasteland featured elements far more absurd than robot scorpions, so it’s to be expected in the sequel.

• buzzmong says:

@greg_ritter

Considering hexapods are all the rage in hobby robotics right now, and a scorpion/spider shape in terms of robotics makes lots more sense than a large bipedal mech in terms of travelling around landscapes (yes, even in the real world), I’d say there’s a good place for it.

• LionsPhil says:

Giant robot scorpions were in the original.

• USER47 says:

You (and lots of other people) are obviously forgeting this is not Fallout. It is Wasteland, thus all roboscorpions and other ridiculous monsters are in place.

• MSJ says:

That robot scorpion, the Scorpitron, is one of the most requested thing from Wasteland fans. It was one of the first Wasteland’s most iconic creatures.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I think you’ll find that many, if not the majority of the people who donated never played Wasteland and are part of the No Mutants Allowed set who basically want Van Buren 2.0 I mean, of course it would never be a perfect venn-eclipse of people who donated and contemporaneous fans of the original, but I suspect the two circles only have a sliver of overlap.

• Demiath says:

Sure, but if the Fallout fanatics (who undoubtedly see themselves as smarter and more well-versed in RPG history than, say, the Bethesda fanboys) don’t bother doing enough research to even know what Wasteland is all about and why the sequel has a Scorpitron in it, well, then I don’t think they get to make any demands whatsoever.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

…who undoubtedly see themselves as smarter and more well-versed in RPG history than, say, the Bethesda fanboys.

It’s the sheer pretence and prejudice that really get to me rather than the ignorance. Really everyone is ignorant about many things but it’s a special kind of asshole who considers himself above that whilst chastising others. My friend and I maintain that N.M.A. is really a cult of hate masquerading as a forum ostensibly about Fallout.

• Beelzebud says:

Except that people around NMA seem to love Scorpitron, and the response to this screenshot was positive. Stop projecting what you think they are, when they’re saying and doing the opposite.. NMA was early champions of this kickstarter, and now WTF Wasteland is all about.

• Beelzebud says:

I’m not sure where you get that idea about what the people at NMA wanted. I visit that site all the time, and I’ve never seen anyone hint that they wanted “van buren 2.0″. I also have never seen anyone there (the front page guys) not know WTF Scorpitron is.

In this little subthread about NMA, I see a bunch of people still acting hurt because most of the people around NMA didn’t like the direction Bethesda took Fallout. The reaction to this screenshot at NMA is mostly positive.

• Saarlaender39 says:

@ greg_ritter: You never played wasteland, I guess.

• elevown says:

As people are commenting- both the mecha scorpion and other mecha things like robot rabbits are in the origional wasteland. So how is that out of place? Sorry but you dont get to try to enforce fallout lore onto wasteland. All the wasteland fans wanted the mecha scorpion.

• ResonanceCascade says:

This ISN’T Fallout. What part of “Wasteland 2″ don’t people understand?

Wasteland was a much sillier game than Fallout. It was also much more difficult and much slower paced. Hopefully they keep those parts, too.

11. elevown says:

Looks realy good to me! The style isnt cartoony- not any more than fallout 1 and 2 anyways – which it looks alot like in style.

• LionsPhil says:

Go stick “Fallout 1″ into Google Image Search.

It’s from the detailed isometric era of graphics. Sure, it has green radioactive goo, and people melt when you shoot them with plasma weapons, but it’s several miles away from this (early!) round, rubbery look. Hell, just look at all the unsaturated grey-brown.

Which is fine. This is a different game.

• elevown says:

I hardly need to go look at images of fallout 1 – ive finished it 3 times and FO2 4 times. Last time was actualy only last year. By its very nature of low res sprite gfx, it has a certain cartoony nature- like the ants and alot of the people imo. Not realy cartoony, but not that realistic because they just didnt have enough pixels for the details that woulda made them more realistic.

You also seem to be mising that this ISNT fallout- it can have any style they think will work – fallouts style dosnt realy have any relevance except as comparison.

• archimandrite says:

The unsaturated grey-brown look that so many people seem to be nostalgic for(both here and previously with Diablo 3) was created to get around technical limitations of the time. The only way to get (semi)smooth shading with 256 colors and small sprite sizes is to severely limit your palette and have a lot of different shades of the same few colors. If you’re going to severely limit your palette, it’s also a good idea to have a very muted palette, as those colors will be more versatile. Hence the grey-brown “realism” of the older Fallouts, Diablos, Dooms and Quakes. Now developers don’t have those limitations, so why not make your silly robo-scorpion post apocalypse a colorful post apocalypse?

• LionsPhil says:

I’m not arguing Inxile shouldn’t. Just a bit miffed at the “FO1 was cartoony” comments, because it was artistically pretty muted and deadpan.

(I’m actually looking forward to some lush overgrown urban settings.)

• codename_bloodfist says:

Just because you can use colours now doesn’t mean you absolutely have to.

12. tybality says:

The ladder is for giants, but globally i think that’s a good start.

13. Desmolas says:

Damn colours! Damn them all!

Seriously, whats wrong with the colour? Its less saturated than the original.

Can i remind everybody that this isn’t a sequel to Fallout 1/2 they are making here. Its a sequel to Wasteland. And Wasteland is so old it barely has an ‘art style’ to go on. Its an open book they can go in whichever art direction they want. Besides, giant-robo scorpion feels very Fallout to me in spirit anyway.

14. Premium User Badge Andy_Panthro says:

This looks fantastic, and I hope they keep up the level of detail in the environments.

Loving the giant robot scorpion too!

15. Red_Avatar says:

I had decided I wanted to avoid any news concerning the game since I didn’t want the experience to get spoiled – especially not by Mollyneux-style lies about things that end up not making it into the game. Despite this, RPS didn’t exactly give me a CHANCE to avoid this screenshot (thank you for that) but I’ll give my opinion anyway:

I’m not too fond of it even though I realise it’s just a mock-up. It’s little things that put me off although I’m sure they’ll get improved later on – the ugly flat ground, the lack of vegetation (the plants that are there look terrible), etc. Hopefully they’ll put enough work into how the game looks and keep an eye out for what looks wrong. Although it’s a post-apocalyptic game that doesn’t take itself too seriously, you can’t become lazy either.

• Premium User Badge AmateurScience says:

You do know what pre-alpha means right?

• Red_Avatar says:

You do realise what “though I realise it’s just a mock-up” means right? *rolls eyes*

And yes, it may be a desert but that’s still no excuse for making it look wrong. If they’re going to release a single screenshot, they should put enough effort into it to make it look as appealing as possible and I simply don’t get any good vibe off how this looks. I mean, I can google “Fallout” and get a pic that instantly yells “wasteland” to me but this is not it – I hope their art team can do better than that. Note that I pledged quite a lot of money to them so I’m entitled to have an opinion ;).

• Zenicetus says:

” the ugly flat ground, the lack of vegetation”

It’s the Southwestern USA, which looks pretty much exactly like that.

• meatshit says:

There are a few places like that in the SW, but the vast majority of it is covered with shrubs, cactuses and/or desert grass. Check out New Vegas if you want to see a video game with a fairly realistic portrayal of Southwestern desert ecology.

16. Lemming says:

Love it. Also love the stylised look and the colours. Fuck the haters.

• oceanview says:

amen bro. I have all the faith in the world in fargo’s ability to make this into a great game.

17. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Reading some of these comments you’d think there never was an original Wasteland.

• Imbecile says:

Yeah, there seems to be general confusion about the game. I was particularly thrown by the guy who pledged 115($?) to the kickstarter, but seemed to be in the dark about what to expect.

I’m slightly worried that we’ll see more and more of this as the kickstarters start to roll out product. Essentially people complaining that what is delivered, isnt what they expected – and that they want their money back, etc..

• wodin says:

Me too, I just put him straight..as I said a fool and his money…

18. Dariune says:

As someone who has been waiting for a decent, deep and well thoughtout partybased RPG for quite literally years, this looks fan-bloody-tastic!

Im normally the first to critisize but i think for a mock up this is EXACTLY what im after.

Nice character models. Scenery and graphics that are believable but allow your imagination to do some of the work … im impressed. Keep at it guys. Bring back old school RPG’s.

19. Ministry says:

Looks great to me and really has me very excited for this. I imagine Fargo has a lot of pressure on his shoulders due to worrying about fan reactions, “this is terrible!”, “why did I give this man money.”, and what not. Good luck to them, they have 1 sale.

20. DogKiller says:

Perhaps it’s worth remembering that this is Wasteland 2, not Fallout 4 or whatever, so it shouldn’t need to conform to the look of the Fallout series. That said, I’ve got mixed feelings about the graphics. They aren’t cartoony enough to turn me off the game, but I wouldn’t mind it if they shifted it to a slightly more realistic style. A little off topic, but for anybody knowledgable about game development, is it quicker\easier to make a game with 3D than it is to make one from hand drawn graphics? I do miss the 2D style graphics in some of the 90s RPGs like Fallout, Baldur’s Gate, etc.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Baldur’s Gate and Fallout both use pre-rendered 3D for characters and backgrounds. They’re not hand-drawn.

• DogKiller says:

Oh, I never knew that. They look quite different to the 3D graphics I was thinking of, but I don’t really know much about that kind of stuff. Fooled me, anyway.

• JFS says:

Baldur’s Gate’s backgrounds sure are hand-drawn, aren’t they?

• Gira says:

No, and I’m not sure why people seem to think they are. I mean, even just glancing at them it’s obviously prerendered 3D art.

• mckertis says:

“I’m not sure why people seem to think they are.”

Because it’s a claim on the actual box.

• InternetBatman says:

Here’s the process they used, in their own words:

Designers map out an area and write up a description.
            Concept artist draws an isometric concept of the level.
            Models are created for the level.
            Models are placed within the level and then textured.
            The level is dressed with smaller objects (barrels and chairs). Lighting is done for the level, and then any final tweaks are completed.
            The art piece is given to the designers so that the clipping, luminosity, height and search map can all be done.
            Creatures, items, traps and triggers are all added to the level.
            The scripting for the level is completed.

• Alevice says:

About the claim on the box, I think what thy meant is that the levels are hand crafted, as in each level doesn’t make use of tiles perse, but it is an entirely pre rendered section, much unlike it was with say, Fallout, whose levels made full use of tiles and stuff (hence why you see the same pile of rusted cars more than once).

• D3xter says:

No, they weren’t, they were 3D models overtextured or outright renders:

• Eddy9000 says:

The backgrounds aren’t ‘hand drawn’ as in someone sat down with ink and a pen and actually drew them and scanned them in. But they are stills that have been uniquely crafted rather than using templates or a construction kit, which is pretty much the computerised parralell of hand drawing something. The box also advertised that the backgrounds were hand drawn so I would say that unless you’re being particularly pedantic the term ‘hand drawn’ is a perfectly understandable way of describing the backgrounds.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

The computerized parallel of drawing something by hand is drawing something by hand, and that only applies to the textures at most. The distinctions are important here, since the original question was about the specific process of graphical asset creation. See dE’s post for details.

• Eddy9000 says:

He seems to be talking about the character sprites rather than the backgrounds. The backgrounds are 2D stills.

• dE says:

It’s a matter of re-using resources. With a hand-drawn 2D Sprite you need to draw every direction it is facing (factoring mirroring if applicable – trust me, players notice it when a weapon suddenly switches hands on a turnaround) and if you want there to be different armor visuals, you need to draw them too. For every animation and every facing you have. That’s just not practical in any way for games other than flat 2D games. For larger games this would explode.

With a 3D model as a 2D Sprite, you can have as many facings as you want – just turn the camera and render. You can attach armor and then re-render all the animations. Even more, you can often keep animations between different models with minimal adjustments. Instead of doing the work several times for as many different animations, facings and what not you have, you do it once and then let the program do the work.

21. Over says:

I would prefer something like this:

22. jellydonut says:

Thankfully, the man himself has stated that there will be multiple color palettes available.

Mostly I’m not displeased with the use of colors — I just think it really needs higher detail textures. The reason it looks ‘cartoony’ right now is because items like the cactuses etc are basically single-color, making them look almost celshaded.

Still, it’s a work in progress, and I hope better textures are in the cards before the release.

It will probably be a fun game anyway, but eye candy helps!

• LionsPhil says:

Heh. Wonder if that means they’ll throw on an optional “REAL IS BROWN” shader.

The geometry’s a bit toony, too. Things are just a little bit rounded-off, smooth, and inflated.

• Premium User Badge Hodge says:

Wonder if a CGA mode will be included?

23. Vorphalack says:

I didn’t back this project, I refuse to pay up until I know more about what i’m getting for my money, but I do like this screenshot. It is pleasing to the eye. Not really much else to say until the next update I guess.

24. Pemptus says:

I’m reading all the “giant robot scorpion” comments in dismay. Scorpitron, anyone? http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/18144-wasteland-dos-screenshot-the-infamous-scorpitron-war-machine.gif

Remember guys, Wasteland was VERY wacky.

25. JackDandy says:

I’m really glad how this is turning out.

This is exactly how I hoped the visual style of the game would look.

26. Shadowcat says:

I don’t have anything against the content of that scene, but the quality of the screenshot itself is absolutely awful. If those are all jpeg artifacts, I can only imagine that they inexplicably elected to save it at some truly pitiful quality level, as virtually everything in the scene looks terrible (and I suspect the bits that don’t are purely due to a lack of contrast in those regions).

So… is that really just a botched jpeg, or is there something fundamentally wrong with their rendering process?

• Premium User Badge AmateurScience says:

There’s a higher res image at the facebook page apparently

• Shadowcat says:

Well resolution isn’t the problem per se (although one jpeg re-saved as a lower-res jpeg could well be), but I actually went to Facebook to check, and that is the high-res version.

I figure their artists will be pretty miffed at someone right about now.

• hello_mr.Trout says:

it’s weird how people have such different expectations of the same thing sometimes – if the gameplay & story was solid and compelling, i would be perfectly happy if that was the end result! and this is before they add in the particle effects & post-processing – so it will only end up looking better! i am quite pleased i decided to back this thing

• Premium User Badge Martel says:

I’m with you, this could be the final product in the graphics department and I would be just fine with it since I’ll be in it for the writing and gameplay

• Hobz says:

Exactly ! As long as an RPG is not immersion-breaking-ugly (and if possible, not an FPS),i’m fine with it.

Edit : Forgot to mention that this actualy looks pretty good to me.

27. Zwebbie says:

Vince, of Age of Decadence fame, theorised that a game that doesn’t exist is easier to sell than one that does. Judging by some of the reactions to this screenshot, I don’t doubt that fewer people would have backed if they had this screenshot in their Kickstarter run. ‘s Funny like that.

Personally I think it looks that typical ’90s kind of bad, saturation everywhere (which as as bad as saturation nowhere), and a rusted title font. That has a charm of its own; a ‘pulpy’ kind of graphics, if you will.

Edit: changed that, thanks Tariq.

28. GoodKnight says:

The writer fails to mention that this is nothing like what the final product will look like..
    there is no post processing and no particle effects on..

• LionsPhil says:

The reader fails to read the article.

29. Unaco says:

That’s… a lot of brown there. And saturation/chroma.

30. bill says:

Orange and long shadows! That’s what i always expected Wasteland to be!

31. Tyshalle says:

Looks fine to me. This ain’t a game about fancy graphics anyway.

32. Acorino says:

Considering it’s a pre-alpha screenshot it looks surprisingly good! Would even be okay for the final look.

33. squareking says:

Wow. Can’t believe some of the comments here. At the very least, ask Google about Wasteland so you have an inkling of what to expect here (re: Scorpitron). And please PLEASE don’t go all Diablo 3 “This needs to be uber dark/realistic!” or we won’t get games like this anymore and everyone will be sad and we can’t have nice things! ;_;

34. MordeaniisChaos says:

Oh god, kill it, kill it with a game with not shitty graphics!
    And they aren’t building their own fucking assets? Am I reading that right? Or is that just for this showing off of the engine? That we’ve all already seen before? That’s awful. Don’t do that. Build your own game developers, you aren’t a couple of kids in a basement, and even if you were, you could do better than that.
    Looks mad generic other than the robo-scorpion, I dunno what all the hooplah is about.

• Ironclad says:

So I take it you’re willing to fund the extra 5 million it would take for them to develop their own assets? Game development costs an incredible amount of money, genius. They gotta work with what they got.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Heck, not even big AAA studios use 100% from-scratch models/textures all the time.

35. Premium User Badge The Sombrero Kid says:

Looks stonking. Gimmie.

36. Demiath says:

As soon as I saw the screenshot I could tell that a lot of people wouldn’t like the vibrant colors and “cartoony” style. I don’t actually think it’s cartoony in any meaningful sense, but this is clearly not what a substantial part of the target demographic wants out of Fallout-esque game. As for myself, I only feel better about my $300 “investment” in the future of real Western RPGs…

37. Flint says:

Never played the original Wasteland.

Never knew it had giant robot scorpions.

Mostly interested in this project because of the Fallout/Fallout developers connection (well, that was the original point of interest anyway).

Absolutely loving this screenshot, including and especially the giant robot scorpion, and incredibly excited about the game. Cannot wait.

• Voon says:

Same here. Never played Wasteland either but from the looks of it, this one could be interesting.

38. InternetBatman says:

I’m a Fallout Player that supported Wasteland 2 without ever having played the first one. I’m glad the atmosphere is different from Fallout. It’s a new (to me) world to explore with new (to me) ideas. I’d rather play in that one than pine for another Fallout, especially since Obsidian nailed the atmosphere so recently in New Vegas.

39. Freud says:

It reminds me of Outcast for some reason. I guess it’s the green/orange blend.

40. Navagon says:

That’s looking good. Like a more colourful modern take on the earlier Fallout games. Which is pretty much exactly what most people were probably hoping for when they backed this.

The ladder looks like it’s designed for the Jolly Green Giant though.

41. Voon says:

What giant robot scor-

Oh. Ooooooh!

42. D3xter says:

Saw this somewhere else, apparently the guy that is working on STASIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ILFgiYaRU&hd=1
    did a few interesting Mock-Ups inspired by Wasteland 2 :P

43. Kleppy says:

It’s like Team Fortress 2 had sex with Fallout. Quite an ugly baby, that.

44. Ysellian says:

I actually like it.

45. BatmanBaggins says:

Looks very promising. People need to keep in mind that this is a very very early alpha screen shot. So much can change from now until release.

46. Nimdok says:

Bitches gonna bitch.

47. TsunamiWombat says:

This includes things that aren’t in an unrelated product I like! grrr! unrealistic, boo hiss! Do you hear me sir, your POST APOCOLYPTIC WASTELAND GAME WITH MUTANTS IS UNREALISTIC!

48. caljohnston says:

Fixed white balance: http://i.imgur.com/yM7mG.jpg

Not sure WTF they were thinking by adding a nexgen piss filter.

• rustybroomhandle says:

That is just, like, your opinion, man.

Seriously though, your “fix” is just a washed out version of the original. You added bleach. The scene is dusk or dawn, but you made it look like midday lighting. Midday lighting with twilight shadows.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Aw yeah, you know a games gonna be successful when people start “fixing” the screen shots.

Remember Diablo 3?

Yeah.

Edit: not being sarcastic, Diablo 3 was insanely successful despite the hatred it recieves

• LionsPhil says:

I dunno about bleach; the colours are a lot “cleaner” in this one. But it’s certainly changed the time of day, and changed it so that it’s not consistent with the shadows.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Yeah yeah, I was trying to be obnoxiously hyperbolic with the bleach. :P

• Treymoney says:

Wow, you must have spent minutes moving a slider back and forth in Photoshop. I can see why that would make you think you’re a much better artist than the people who actually made the assets in this screenshot.

• Zenicetus says:

Look at the shadows. This is the Southwestern USA, and colors look like that at sunset (or sunrise) when the shadows are that long and there are no clouds in the sky.

Not that this has to be a realistic-looking game… but “correcting” the colors so there is a pure white in this kind of sunlit lighting effect just looks stupid.

Get outside and look at how sunlight works.

• caljohnston says:

They look like that if you take a photo with the incorrect white balance. But any decent camera will correct it to be like I made it, and so will your eyes. Notice how no matter what the time of day is, you always perceive white surfaces to be white? Yeah.

• LionsPhil says:

Have you seen a sunset? I’ll give you adjustment for artificial vs. natural light, but when the world goes orange, it goes orange.

• caljohnston says:

Well I’ve never seen a sunset that looked like as if I was looking at the world through a piss filled bottle. Which is how that screenshot looks.

49. invisible_al says:

Loving the Giant Scorpion and the general look of things :).

50. The Random One says:

It’s kind of silly that I’m a backer, I got this pic yesterday on my email, and I couldn’t look at it full size because they only posted it on Facebook, which I don’t have. I thought that river was a canyon and didn’t even notice the scorpiotron!