Invinciwiz: When Diablo III’s Invisible Numbers Go Wrong

By Alec Meer on July 23rd, 2012 at 12:02 pm.

Yes, invincible even in just a metal bra

The entire internet* is besieged by outrage** today*** by the news**** that an exploit in Blizzard’s Diablo III can allow some folk playing as Wizards to become invincible.***** No doubt it’s being patched out at a desperate rate, but personally-speaking it exemplifies just why Diablolikes, WoWlikes and games using similar progression mechanics will often lose their appeal to me relatively quickly. It’s all about the invisible numbers, forever escalating, forever having the ceiling above them raised, and our being tricked into thinking we have any real control over those numbers. Something can go wrong with the equations, and the numbers can then dictate something like invincibility – the state that we essentially seek from our endless quest for better gear. With info on how to achieve this now widely available, Wizards are currently drowning in risk-free loot.

Diablo III’s undoubtedly a pretty good game in terms of ARPG clicky-stab joy (if one hamstrung by mercenary business decisions) but I wish its playerbase could treat it as the throwaway instant-feedback lottery it actually is rather than as though it’s a way of life. I certainly had a good time playing it for a week or two, which I neither regret or deny, but I simply do not understand why it and its never-ending numbers should be one of the biggest PC games of recent times, still played by millions months and likely years on from release. But maybe that’s just because I’m also the kind of guy who doesn’t have a favourite sports team to support across their endless cycles of success and failure, so something in me might simply be programmed against long-term attachment.

Anyway, that invincibility exploit. It essentially involves casting some spells in a particular order, and grud only knows the effects it’ll have on the damnable real money auction house when a bunch of invici-wizzes fill it with their ill-gotten gear. Blizzard don’t appear to have responded as yet, bar censoring forum posts that told all on how to achieve the trick.

I did think about posting the exploit instructions, but concluded I’d feel bad if I did. I don’t want to be part of upsetting some other player’s game experience because he finds himself in a team with an invincible loot farmer. Also, it’s not impossible that Big Brother Battle.Net will be able to track who did what and dole out punishments.

VIDEOGAMES.

* Some gaming sites/forums
** Fleeting annoyance/amusement
*** For, like, a few minutes this morning
**** Reposting of a fact someone else found
***** Their characters, not them. I’m reasonably sure that even Blizzard’s dark, sinister always-online tech isn’t capable of mystically imbuing its players with immortality.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. giovanni says:

I guess some players just prefer to play the Hacker character class.

• Swanny says:

The meta-game of Diablo III is my GOTY, by far.

• Kestilla says:

Will said hacking wizards drowning in said risk-free loot drown the real money auction house with said loot, forcing Blizzard has to take action to preserve the economy? Man, this just keeps getting better and better, really really!

• Tei says:

I tried the bureaucrat class, but I don’t like pet class. Usually pet classes are at a disadvantage at PvP, because half your power is the pet, and you alone are too weak (Exception made in games where the pet classes are OP). The hacker class has everything I like, It heal, dps, buff, and his best buffs are speed bufs. EVERYONE love speed buffs. I use to relax in Athen, buffing everyone with the speed buff. Being a buff bot, was the most awesome thing of the hacker class.

• Toastradamus says:

Too bad the second expansion took away the hacker’s cool toys. I don’t wanna be a dog. Just wanna run fast!

2. RaveTurned says:

“I’m reasonably sure that even Blizzard’s dark, sinister always-online tech isn’t capable of mystically imbuing its players with immortality.”

Only as long as your connection to their servers stays up.

3. Xardas Kane says:

A mighty thank you for the footnotes, Alec. For a second there I thought the actual players become invincible and we are on the brink of a third world war involving super soldiers that can’t be killed running around and gunning down everyone who didn’t like Diablo III. Or sumtin.

But then we would find out their weak spot (the servers of course) and exploit it to our benefits, creating a super-army to take over the world.

Damn, wish Wizard players could become invincible.

4. yabonn says:

Am I mean if I kind of hope something like “due to our moving-everything-online brilliant move, we can’t easily fix this latency-related bug” from Blizzard?

5. Erik Aurum says:

I’m not a technical guy myself, can they actually see who used this exploit?
    And if so, are those people going to be punished if they used it on single-player only, without selling stuff on the RMAH?
    What about those who made money because of that exploit? Is Acti… I mean Blizzard going to take real money back from them?

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

So tell me where this is an actual exploit if it’s (as Alec alludes to) just a certain sequence of regular spells which enable inviciwiz-mode? And why exploiters should be dealt with when it is altogether Blizzard’s fault this is occurring? This is hardly hacking the game.

6. kwyjibo says:

Loads of people get into pointless number grinds, their reward circuits are rewired by gamification elements and not actual gameplay.

If it’s a Zynga number grind, then we call them idiots; if it’s an RPG number grind, apparently, we’re meant to respect their opinion and consider them hardcore.

• Vorphalack says:

D3 has none of the good qualities of an RPG. The plot is awful, the dialogue is awful, the characterisation is minimal, and the world is small and linear. I’ve always hated the tag APRG when referring to games like Diablo-a-likes, it puts them uncomfortably close to a genre they have almost nothing in common with.

• Ragnar says:

It’s much more action game than RPG. Think of Devil May Cry and God of War. You get through one difficulty level, then restart the game on the next. The main difference is that while DMC and GoW are purely skill based, D3 adds loot and gear checks. A better player can still make up for sub-par gear, but finding gear to get that upgrade is still a primary motivator.

And unlike the casual games you mentioned, there is a fair bit of skill involved, particularly at the Hell and Inferno difficulties. Inferno is a horrible, painful grind, mind you, but it’s one that requires skill.

• Craig Stern says:

Diablo 3 is an RPG in the same sense that Cow Clicker is an RPG. You click; the numbers go up; but there are no choices with permanent consequences being made.

• Gira says:

That’s cute, implying that the essence of an RPG is Emotional Cinematic Choices & Consequences. You’re right that Diablo isn’t an RPG, but it’s not because of that.

• JackShandy says:

I think he meant gameplay choices, not narrative. Like, choosing to put points in stealth rather than magic. Diablo 3 doesn’t have permanent consequences for those choices.

• Gira says:

But you do that in Diablo.

• JackShandy says:

Not with permanent consequences.

-oh, except for your starting class decision, of course.

Edit: basically I think you guys should be on the same team.

• Nevard says:

What permanent, game-changing choices do you make in Final Fantasy I?
            (It’s none, you don’t get given points to allocate when you level up and it’s perfectly possible to own all the spells at once).

I don’t think that’s a genre-defining feature of RPGs either.

• mouton says:

“What is an RPG?”

“RPG is when a developer says it is an RPG and enough people agree”

• JackShandy says:

Yeah, RPG’s have gotten so massive and woolly that any genre description you can think of is broken by at least one game commonly thought of as an RPG, and probably includes at least one game that people don’t consider an RPG.

I think making interesting decisions is an important part of a good game in general, though.

• Nevard says:

Diablo contains many interesting decisions, they’re just not ones that are impossible to reverse.
            There are also literally hundreds of games that are excellent but allow you very little choice at all.
            Choice is hardly bad but I think putting it as a required criteria is a bad move!

• NathanH says:

Well, there are literally hundreds of games that aren’t RPGs, so I don’t think that’s a particularly good argument. A cRPG ought to have the following property: the player character is defined by the player and the game responds to this definition through the mechanics. Diablo 3 is an interesting case because it is indisputable that at any given instant the player character satisfies this requirement, but on the other hand the definition can be changed at any moment, apart from character class. One could argue that the definition is actually just an elaborate version of a player’s choice of weapons in an FPS, for instance.

So there are two questions. Does an RPG have to have character definition that is permanent or at least rarely able to be changed? Does a class choice at the start of the game count as enough player definition of character? If the answer to the first is no or the second is yes, then Diablo 3 can be considered an RPG, otherwise the designation is dubious.

• JackShandy says:

Nevard: Apart from music games, what are some examples? Let me head you off at the pass: Super Mario Bros. has interesting decisions.

NathanH: “the player character is defined by the player and the game responds to this definition through the mechanics.” also applies to almost every modern shooter. Making up a definition of RPG that includes games people don’t think of as RPG’s and excludes others is fine, but it makes it hard to talk with people who haven’t heard your definition.

• NathanH says:

There are indeed some modern shooters that involve some meaningful definition of the character by the player, and these are, unsurprisingly, usually referred to as incorporating RPG elements.

There seems to be a gradual drift of both cRPGs and action games towards being some form of action-RPG hybrid these days.

• JackShandy says:

Specifically, it includes Counterstrike. You choose what weapons you carry before the match proper, which totally defines your character. That makes it hard to use this definition when talking to anyone who doesn’t think of Counterstrike as an RPG.

TillEulenspiegel’s “The character’s abilities take precedence over the player’s.” seems good, though. I guess we need better nit-picky definitions of “Take precedence”, but the base is solid.

• shizamon says:

My God..He’s gone, we’ve lost him. He tried to make it through Wizardry 3 for the 162nd time, but didn’t have enough Red Bull and Cheetos. RIP Wizardry.

• Koozer says:

Ah, the old internet argument over what an RPG is. People always fall onto one side or the other: an RPG is defined by lots of choice in stats building, or lots of choice in narrative development. It would make everyone’s life easier if people stated which they are talking about first.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Choice has nothing to do with it, though. A role-playing game is defined by playing a character. And what does that mean? That the character’s abilities take precedence over the player’s.

See? Very very simple, and it applies to everything from D&D to modern videogames that have “RPG elements”. It even applies to RPGs with no character advancement of any kind.

• Nick says:

and every game ever. whoops.

7. SiHy_ says:

Well said. I bought the game at launch, played it for around 60 or so hours in a short period of time, levelled up a Witch Doctor and stopped playing it.
    Was it worth my money? Yes, in terms of money to time spent that’s about 50 or 60p per hour which certainly isn’t bad, you’d pay more at a cinema. Will I be reinstalling it in the near future? No. It was fun but it all started to feel like playing with a random number generator on a calculator. If a game isn’t fun anymore I stop playing. Some people must enjoy the grind of farming, or maybe they treat it like a second job but I refuse to play for compulsion alone.
    The only thing I do regret is supporting the always-on DRM decision. I simply don’t want that to become a standard but, hey, lesson learned.

• AmateurScience says:

What I don’t get is that the AH and RMAH totally removes the RNG for your own gear. I stopped playing D3 when I realised I could nip onto the gold AH and pick up something orders of magnitude better than would ever serendipitously drop for me during normal gameplay for comparative peanuts in terms of gold. At that point there ceased to be any real point in actually playing. Particularly after the content rolled around again and there was nothing new to see.

• fish99 says:

Plus the game difficulty is set assuming that you will have access to said uber-gear on AH, so if you pick up the game (or come back to it for another playthrough) in 12 months time when no one is playing and there’s nothing on the AH (the AH is already nearly dead for items below lvl 60), you’re gonna find it so much harder than people who played the game in the first 2 months.

• mr.ioes says:

So often I read “I played xx amount of hours so I got my money’s worth”. Aren’t you being dishonest with yourself here?

• bulletbill88 says:

I didn’t get my money’s worth with D3. I purchased it after it had been out a couple of days, I think for a bit over $60 AUD. I played it a couple of times with friends but had horrible lag for the most part that made it very difficult to play so I gave up. I then tried to play again a few weeks after launch and the lag was much much less but I discovered that the game was boring for me – it all seems very repetitive. I’ll probably play through and finish it sooner or later as it irks me to leave games unfinished, but I will definitely think twice about buying a Blizzard game again.

• Ragnar says:

I agree, X hours does not equate to entertainment or having a good time. I’d rather have a short game that’s tight, focused, and fun than a longer game that feels padded out, or goes on for too long.

But if he enjoyed playing D3 as much as, say, going to the movies, then he received many more hours of entertainment (60 vs 8-12) for the same cost, and thus it was a good allocation of his entertainment budget to buy D3 instead of movie tickets.

• SkittleDiddler says:

But that “hours played/enjoyment had” ratio is increasingly becoming the norm in today’s video games. If I pay for a game, I expect it to provide me with a certain number of hours. Skyrim, Saints Row The Third, Crusader Kings II, Civ V, and The Sims 3 all provide extended playtime that goes well beyond the quaint sixty-dollars-for-eight-hours-is-enough philosophy that has been plaguing the industry for years.

Publishers recognize the demand and are now molding DLC packs as a way to steady their profit margin while shelling out big bucks to develop games that can oftentimes offer playthroughs extending into thousands of hours.

More often than not these days, if a game doesn’t provide additional content beyond the token multiplayer component, it doesn’t sell well.

Extended content is the new king.

• Hypocee says:

Tom Francis’ ‘trend of 2012′ on the PCGUK January podcast: ‘Just about everything I’m playing or looking forward to could take up all my time if I wanted it to. Every game is utterly massive, except the ones that are infinite.’

Re Skyrim, Spelunky, Minecraft, Dishonored, Arkham City sort of, FTL, etc. etc.

• ZyloMarkIII says:

It should not be “I played X for Y hours” but rather “I got Y hours of fun from X.” While I enjoy games that reach out for double-digit hours of gameplay, I don’t enjoy plodding/grinding my way to that double-digit mark.

• fish99 says:

You would have a point if he hadn’t also said that most of those 50-60 hours were fun.

• Savagetech says:

How is it dishonest to say that playing X hours of a game justified the purchase price? Generally you don’t keep playing a game when it isn’t any fun unless there are extenuating circumstances (friends playing, doing a review, no other compelling games to play, etc). While playing 50-60 hours of a moderately entertaining game might not provide as much enjoyment as playing 5-10 hours of an awesome game, sometimes you just want to have a big bag of bulk candy to gorge on for a week instead of buying a single gourmet dessert. Both can be “worth it” in completely different ways.

8. Syra says:

I like how a lot of mainstream gaming websites (EG etc) posted HOW to exploit this while it lasts.

If I still gave a damn about this game at all I might have bothered to do something about it.

9. Safewood says:

What a diabolical exploit O.o

10. ukpanik says:

My favourite perfume is “Soul2Soul” by Faith Hill.

11. CobraLad says:

I wonder if Diablo 4 or next Blizzard game going to achieve great success of their past games. Its been like a month, and no one cares about Diablo 3, except for those “Diablo DRM sucks again” articles on RPS. Also, nobody cares about that Starcraft 2 and WoW expansions.
    Oh, and if Torchlight 2 is treated as “Its no Diablo 3 so its good” thats no good news for Blizzard.

• Vandelay says:

I care about the expansion to Starcraft 2.

Don’t care about Blizzard’s other products, although those millions of people who still play WoW are probably looking forward to the expo. Shocking how some people like different things isn’t it?

• CobraLad says:

In recent news, millions left WoW. Also Diablo 3 was just “fastest selling game” which is remarkable feat when your game is sold throught internet. It wasnt best selling game, like Burning Crusade or Diablo 2 just fastest selling because of all hype and preorders. And less people going to buy next Blizzard games. Its not about tastes, its about mass-apeal. It looks like Blizzard just going to make games for closed cast of followers, which played previous games, while normal people going to pass through the scary crowd of unwashed number-nerds toward the cool looking AAA faceshooters.

• Starky says:

That isn’t exactly true – it was the fastest selling game – it was also the biggest selling PC launch in history, with the most pre-orders of any PC game in history.
          Selling 3.5 million in launch week is the best any PC game has ever done, only multi-platform mega titles such as CoD have beat it (and none of them on PC only).

Which put it into the top 20 all time best sellers right away.

That number is now at something like 7 million (it was 6.3 million as of the end of may) maybe as high as 8 million – putting it in the top 10 best sellers of all time. A few good patches and an expansion pack and another 2-3 years of sales and I’ll wager it will get in the top 5.

• reggiep says:

I think your logic is pretty much the definition of ignorance: “if I don’t see or hear it, it’s not happening.”

Fact: millions of people are still playing Diablo 3.
      Fact: many gaming sites publish articles about Diablo 3 fairly often.

• Baines says:

The people who bought Starcraft 2 only to play it for a few days or weeks before quitting will still buy the expansion.

12. ElvisNeedsBoats says:

I usually ignored those that claimed RPS had a vendetta against Diablo III but good lord buddy. Lower the rope ladder down from your horse and relax.

• Alec Meer says:

What you’ve done is had an immediate reaction to someone not sharing your opinion, which has caused a dangerous optical condition wherein you read balanced statements as extremes and are unable to even see the bulk of the written words. Take two asprin and see me in the morning.

• ElvisNeedsBoats says:

My current opinion of Diablo is I am not interested in owning it. I I did not buy it based on the shortcomings I read about on this site. So my complaint is not one of fanboy-colored glasses nor emotional attachment to a computer game.

To me, the second paragraph seemed dismissive of players enjoying the game, comparing their joy to sport team fanaticism – as if they play just to piss off people critical of the franchise. Bottom-line, people play games to have fun, not because they are not enlightened.

And what do you have against math and numbers? Are you some kind of anti-arithmeticarian (I’m sure it’s word).

• Xari says:

I think you missed the part where he clearly stated that it is a very personal opinion and the fault may even lie with him (which I don’t think). The problem appears to be you expecting inherently objective articles on a gaming blog.

• Phantoon says:

What he needs to do is go back to Kotaku where this sort of thing is encouraged and leave our high class society alone.

• Greggh says:

Now now Phantoon, this kind of elitism does no good to anyone.

RPS and Kotaku are on different sides on the gaming press, true, and though I favor the former and have almost no bearings on the later I do realize the value of their work equally.

Also, please remain cordial and don’t just tell people to “come back from the hell whence they came”; if you really think they can have a more mature opinion about a subject by doing something that you do, do not dictate their path, educate them and try to enlighten the afforementioned path so that they trail it by themselves.

If you we’re being sarcastic, on the other hand, apologies for the high-and-mighty lesson I just try to pass unto you XD

• ElvisNeedsBoats says:

Funny it was the Kotaku commenters who told me to leave and come here. I guess I can try Joystiq.

• Kdansky says:

What, frothing about misunderstood RMAH/DRM is way better!

13. hui says:

> Something can go wrong with the equations, and the numbers can then dictate something like invincibility.

…made me think of http://iggychaos.blogspot.de/2011/04/here-have-sword-sandwich.html

• Skabooga says:

Heh heh, that’s totally what I would have done at that age.

14. voidburn says:

The only good thing that ever came out of D3 for me was 40ish euros of useless stuff sold on the rmah, which promptly went into 2800 gems for GW2 this very weekend. Best feeling ever.

• Koozer says:

I couldn’t even sell a legendary crossbow with decent stats at the minimum price allowed :(

15. Calneon says:

The funniest thing about this is how one of the streamers set his title to something along the lines of ‘Blizzard sucks and should fix their buggy and unplayable game’, all the while playing happily for days on end…

• Vorphalack says:

On the internet you CAN have it both ways.

• Phantoon says:

Same thing happened with the Modern Warfare 2 boycott- 9 out of 10 people boycotting it were playing it as soon as it came out.

Apparently some derps thought boycott meant pirate it instead of give them money for it.

• Milky1985 says:

If you have already given them money and are not using the AH it is actually the best way to annoy them

You are costing them money (as they have to have the server up and running, and due to there insanity and stupidity the server does most of the work with reguards to monster spawning and loot so load is going to be higher than the normal drm server) with each and every minute you play the game because of it and not a penny to them. Although it does make them look better in the shareholders eyes cause the player numbers are up.

16. wisnoskij says:

This is hardly news, and for me actually demonstrates what I love about the game. Diablo has never been balanced, and I love that new better builds are still being found.

This is not the first time Blizzard has had to nerf a skill because it surpassed better then most everything else and got into or too close to the invincibility category.

And I doubt anyone will be punished for using it, it does not sound like anyone is hacking game files, just using a specific build and play style.

For Wizard invisibility I do know a little backstory and a few ways it has been done in the past before nerfing. Some wizard skill turns them invincible for a given duration, and certain stats and skills reduce cooldown. most notably their is some passive still that filling up your spell duration every time you do damage, so when mixed with some tornado spell in rooms with a moderate amount of monsters can give you infinite invincibility (assuming you keep casting).

Also wizards have some skill that lets no damage do more then X% damage of your health (it is something specific like 1/3), people mixed this with having very very low heath and huge regen making killing them impossible except for specific situations. This was nerfed so that if enough extra damage is dealt it goes directly into damaging your health.

17. Kdansky says:

Are we talking about critical mass builds? Because that’s kinda obvious… I did that with Meteor, but apparently, Energy Twister works even better. It’s not as stylish, though.

Edit: Nope, it’s this (found easily through Google):

Very much not intended bug between Teleport and Archon resulting in complete invulnerability.

18. Freud says:

It’s not a big deal. Blizzard will hotfix it soon enough and wizards getting a few extra rares in the meantime won’t impact the games economy.

There is a legitimate wizard build that accomplishes almost the same thing, a melee crit wizard twister build. While it doesn’t make the wizard invincible, it makes it very hard to kill him since he uses frost nova at a very high speed, freezing everything around him.

19. JackShandy says:

It’s a little dumb to suggest that Diablo is a hollow game because it becomes pointless if you can gain invulnerability. All games share that flaw.

• alundra says:

It’s a little dumb to promise people that they are forfeiting each and every one of their consumer rights under the promise this kind of thing will not happen.

• Freud says:

Blizzard promised there would be no bugs because it was a game that required internet connection?

Please link that statement, because that sounds like a very un-Blizzard like statement.

• alundra says:

ooooohhhhhh I totally forgot that when it comes to blizzard we have to excuse everything while kneeling to their perfection, ok, instead of cheating let’s use the word “bugs”

Alrite, Blizzard promised their always online drm would make bugs in a program a thing of the past.

As for the link, google that yourself you lazy bum!

• Starky says:

Blizzard never said any such thing, you blatantly making up stupid shit doesn’t help your anti-blizzard argument.

Blizzard can be faulted for many things, but bug fixing isn’t one of them, they always patch and fix any exploits or bugs in their games – sometimes it takes them way too damn long (because they are very shy about introducing patches without extensively testing – especially in SC2) but they will always get to them eventually, Blizzard is probably the only game company existing that has small teams for their legacy titles to maintain and update them (with the possible exception of valve – but they don’t really have teams, just someone does it if they feel like it).

20. Skeletor68 says:

I was so excited for D3, but besides everything else, the items are just boring. I’m honestly considering putting D2 back on my system. It would actually be interesting to see player number trends on both games over the last couple of months.

Does anyone recommend particular mods for D2? I’ve never done anything but play vanilla (with LoD).

• Belua says:

I’d suggest Median XL – it totally rewrites the classes, new skill trees and everything.

Me and my buddy had loads of fun with the Slaughter Mod back then which increases the amount of enemies to ridiculous number, but that one is far from balanced.

Oh, and there is a high res mod, and it even works with other mods because it’s in its own file. A bit nicer on the eyes than 800×600 :)

• Skeletor68 says:

Great, thanks man! I may go install those. Does the Median one mess the item balance or anything? I want good drops to still be a pleasure. D2 had a really good balance for intersting stuff dropping just enough.

• Belua says:

Well, the item drops appeared to be quite balanced, I think – it’s been a while since I played it. But in general, I remember the Median XL mod being rather high quality with regards to balance and basically everything else. But I suppose there are people in this thread who played it far more than I did and more recently as well, who could comment on this with more than vague memories.

• SkittleDiddler says:

MedianXL is nice, but it adds weird little sci-fi/steampunk elements like lasers and nuclear powers to the game (at least for the Assassin build; I haven’t played any of the other MXL-modified classes yet). That kind of stuff detracts from D2′s fantasy atmosphere IMO. The way it throws extreme-difficulty dungeons around like candy is a bit jarring too.

I really haven’t played much of MedianXL past the first chapter, so I’m probably not the right person to be commenting on it.

• mckertis says:

“Does anyone recommend particular mods for D2?”

Try playing the D2 the way it was before those accursed synergies were added. Very different game. You could actually have more than 3 usable skills !

21. Yosharian says:

Wait.. people are still playing Diablo 3?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

World in ‘different from visions inside your head’ shocker.

22. Was Neurotic says:

Just unlock our Steam Torchlight 2 pre-orders already, and we can put this D3 nonsense behind us and get on with our lives.

23. aliksy says:

For what it’s worth, none of my friends are playing diablo3 anymore. The end game is frustrating and there’s no rewards for playing. Also the story pains me, more so with each new game+.

24. Tkrens says:

“… but personally-speaking it exemplifies just why Diablolikes, WoWlikes and games using similar progression mechanics will often lose their appeal to me relatively quickly. It’s all about the invisible numbers, forever escalating, forever having the ceiling above them raised, and our being tricked into thinking we have any real control over those numbers.”

I politely disagree. Having played both of Blizzard’s games in mostly casual way, I find that you never really ever have to worry about ‘numbers’ or ‘math’ in a very intense way, only if you wish to be the very, very best of your server. Generally speaking, even to finish the most difficult raid at any particular time in WoW, you’ll mostly need common sense.

The perception often however is that reaching the very top of these particular kind of games is a requirement to ‘finish’ it. We are used to completing games, but games such as WoW can’t completed in any sense. There always needs to be a better item, or an insane achievement or whatever else you may fancy. But for the vast majority of people being a mathematician is not a requirement.

• Alec Meer says:

Oh, totally – I don’t mean active calculation, I mean the ongoing pursuit of better gear. It’s just that past a certain point I become all too aware those numbers are there, driving everything/me invisibly, and there will always be a bigger number to strive for no matter how much I play. It’s very hard to enjoy myself after than happens.

• Greggh says:

Exactly.

I remember having to calculate Damage per Second to compare a weapon in Diablo II. Then came Dungeon Siege and the DpS was already there for me and I thought “How come this isn’t explicit in Diablo???” (maybe I’m dreaming of things that never existed, but I recon that Dungeon Siege was the first game I played that showed the DpS).

That was WAYYYY back.

25. derbefrier says:

OMG someone found a bug in a game? This is terrible. This never happens it must be because of blizzards greed. It’s the only reasonable explanation. I mean what else could it be? I know we should boycott d3 and every other game where a bug is found. I mean there can’t be that many right? I for one will not stand for it. Ladies and gentlemen you have witnessed the death of gaming today some one found a bug its all over the industry will surely never recover from this. Oh wait…….

• Phantoon says:

LIGHT THAT STRAWMAN ON FIRE, YEAH! GOOD JOB!

• theallmightybob says:

got a poll to stick that post up on to keep all the birds away?

edit: damn knew i should have refreshed first

• pipman3000 says:

for tyrael’s sake it’s not a bug it’s actually a clever addition based on the reality of the setting wizards are supposed to be immortal and their immorality has played a part in much of sanctuary’s history for example during the battle of magicbeard hollow the paladins of zakuran would write mocking letters and have an immortal wizard courier deliver them to diablo himself by running up to him and smacking him in the face with the scroll tube.

26. taylorm6707 says:

People still play Diablo 3?

27. wodin says:

Diablo 3..is it out already??

I reckon it will be crap, apparently it will have always online DRM crap going on so I heard ages ago. I think people should refuse to buy it on those grounds..also think about it, on the day it gets released (if it hasn’t been already) the servers will fuck up..honestly mark my words.

28. MythArcana says:

I missed Titan Quest the first time around, but this looks like a great time to check it out. Oh, wait…I still have cash left over from the $60 I saved from this lemon. Since Torchlight 2 will be a bit late, I now have plenty of quality gaming time ahead.

29. Carra says:

Exactly, I’ve played it for 3-4 weeks and that made it worth my money. After that it turns into a grind for me.

I’ll get it out and play some more in a few months I’m sure.

30. Arglebargle says:

Not having had a huge hardon for Diablo 3, I found its demo to be less impressive than Path of Exile or Torchlight 2. All I remember about the previous Diablos was that I didn’t care for Diablo1. Can’t even remember why.

Loads of the problems in D3 find their roots in the design decision to make an RMAH. Decisions that were not based on their customer’s playing patterns, but instead based on marketing/business. This new exploit does sound like an old fashioned bug or design brainstone, at least.

31. pipman3000 says:

this is actually lore correct because in one of the diablo tie-in novels all the wizards in the world made a pact with wizardthor god of wizards where they receive immortallity in exchange for being forced to wear silly cloths.

32. Wonko the Sane says:

If you’re hardcore about grinding numbers, then you’ll love Progress quest!

• pipman3000 says:

whoa man awesome a freeware version of diablo 3!

• jrodman says:

I was on the leaderboard back around 2001, if they ever came out with any worthwhile expansions, I’d still be subscribed.

33. Cryo says:

I’m reminded of invincimonks in GW1. Which ArenaNet was totally cool with, funny enough.

34. Metonymy says:

WE DO NOT REQUIRE YET ANOTHER ARTICLE ABOUT THIS TEPID GAME

QUIT SHILLING FOR THESE BLOOD SUCKERS

ITS REPULSIVE, YOU’RE FLUSHING YOUR CREDIBILITY

• Reefpirate says:

Whoa, fella! Easy now…

I think your opinion is pretty well known now.

But, I mean it is one of the best selling PC games in a long, long time… And this is a PC gaming site. It’s also an ongoing experiment with new fancy DRM/RMAH craziness worth keeping an eye on. I don’t play it any more, but I’m still interested in what happens next in this drama.

35. jjujubird says:

People still take this game seriously? *headscratch*