On The Ledge: Penny Arcade Ep 3 DLC & 4 Inbound

By Alec Meer on July 24th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

yeah yeah piracy gag

The increasingly incongrously-named Penny Arcade are to continue their Zeboyd-developed series of roleplaying adventures, both with a fourth game and a pair of free expansions for the well-received third. The second DLC for On The Rain-Slick Precipice Of Darkness Episode 3 will apparently detail the fate of the character you/we/I/he/she/they/it/your mum played as in the first two episodes of the abandoned Hothouse-developed trilogy. Closure of a sort, then.

Before that is ‘The Lair Of The Seamstress’, whose release date may be announced at PAX Prime next month. Again, both these DLCses will be freeses. That’s it, that’s all we know about ‘em. Rumours that players will be able to pay to remove all logos from the title and loading screens are, as yet, unconfirmed. Of the fourth game, diddley-squat is known bar a claimed 2013 release date on the site. Oh, and enthusiasts of portable mobile technology will be pleased to hear episode 3 is headed to phones, tablets and, for Galaxy Note owners like myself, phablets, at some point soon.

Here’s the trailer for the third game proper once again, as otherwise I’ll feel bad about only include a single paragraph underneath the ‘read more’ thingy. Other sites don’t care about that sort of thing, you know. That’s why they’re getting lumps of coal for Christmas.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Krimson says:

The main issue I had with PAA:OTRSPOD Ep 3 was that it didn’t have Carl/Carla/whoever in it, so I’m glad to hear that the second DLC focuses on him/her/it. I still prefer the Hothead games (I know, I know), but I’m glad that Zeboyd games have done such a good job of continuing the series.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

I loved the Hothead games, but after playing CSTW I don’t really care about this game. We’ll see.

• Trent Hawkins says:

part of the steam preorder was that I got CSTW in for free.

• jalf says:

Yeah, I preferred the first two games too. But the third one was better than I’d expected, so I’m not complaining. :)

2. TNG says:

“Rumours that players will be able to pay to remove all logos from the title and loading screens are, as yet, unconfirmed.”

They should try some sort of crowdfunding website for creative projects for that initiative where they provide some sort of reward such as “pay $500 and work as beta tester for our next game. Travel and meal expenses not included”. What could go wrong?

And 4th game? I haven’t played the 3rd but I thought this story carried from the Hothead games was supposed to end there. Is this no longer the case, now with Zeboyd? Or is it a new story for that 4th game?

• jalf says:

The story in 3 does carry on from 1 and 2, but without “your” character. It’s only “canonical” PA characters.

And yeah, the story does sort of kind of end, but it wouldn’t be hard to append a sequel onto it.
      (And that’s not to say that it’s a terrible “OMG YOU CAN’T END IT LIKE THIS” cliffhanger, btw. I think the ending worked fine as is, but it also leaves room for further sequels)

• lumenadducere says:

Really? I definitely felt that it was a bit of a cliffhanger. Not a huge one, but they clearly made a point of saying “two down, two to go” with the poem about the gods remaining. But IIRC the plan was always to make 4 games, they just stopped partly because Hothead went on to make Deathspank and partly because the PA guys realized that making a game was actually difficult. But I guess they got over it and partnered with Zeboyd.

• jalf says:

So, spoiler warning etc etc…

Yes, it was a cliffhanger, but a cliffhanger which ended with the goddamn end of the world. I think that counts as closure of sorts. ;)

(What do you mean by two down, two to go? We’re not talking about the ending to episode 2, are we?)

I wasn’t aware that it was always planned as a 4-game series. I thought it was always intended as a trilogy.

3. Just Endless says:

Can four pleeeease not be made by zeboyd? I loved the hell out of one and two because they had a unique combat system, and were short enough to not overstay their welcome.

For people who haven’t played it, PA3 is 8 hours long and WELL OVER HALF THAT is nes-quality rpg combat.