Skyrim Patched Anew, But Whither Dawnguard PC?

By Alec Meer on July 24th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

I still haven't finished the main quest, actually

It’s odd to look back to the many frustrations of Skyrim’s launch, all those PC-specific oversights and technical flaws that drove us spare, and how so many (but not all, I know – modding the UI is still all but vital, for instance) of them have since been addressed. New textures, 2GB RAM cap lifted, sound quality bug sorted, mounted combat added… What seemed to be a fairly perfunctory PC version has been nurtured to fuller health in the days since launch, and that continues with patch 1.7, now in beta on Steam. There isn’t much in the way of big revelations, but “General memory and stability optimizations” is the kind of thing that’s always good to hear. I wish someone would optimise my stability.

Also in the patch are assorted crash fixes regarding water and dragons. The big question remains unaddressed, sadly – when do we get to see the Dawnguard expansion, which has been out on Xbox 360 for almost a month? Microsoft’s 30-day exclusivity period winds up this week, so hopefully it won’t be long before we can all be flying vampire lords. I’ve not played any Skyrim for months, but I suspect Dawnguard will lure me back to its mountains.

To install the beta update, you’ll need to opt in from Steam’s settings. Full instructions here.

, .

1. John Connor says:

Now how about a “turn off V-Sync without the physics breaking” option, eh?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

As long as they leave the flying mammoths. I love flying mammoths.

• simonh says:

The reason for the physics breaking without V-Sync is because the game can’t handle the FPS going above 60. Using an easy to install FPS-limiter solves it. I recommend setting the limit to 55, it needs a slight margin.

2. aliksy says:

I fully expect to buy the DLC… during Steam’s winter sale. $20 is a bit pricey.

• Anders Wrist says:

From what I’ve read of reviews, it’s not worth it either – so I’ll probably do the same. Of course, these are reviews of the 360 version, but the storyline is going to be the same across platforms, I’m assuming.

• 3ergling says:

Oh, but it is!

• Phantoon says:

I fail to see how it can possibly be good when the rabid Elder Scrolls fansites that are also games news sites don’t like it. You know, the sites that couldn’t find flaw in Skyrim, when there’s plenty of glaring flaws like the part where they removed a multitude of spells so they could be shouts, and the fact you don’t actually mix spells like they said you would (making the entire new system pointless), and that spells are no different than fighter type stuff, and that plenty of places obvious in the world you can’t go to yet because plot line, and every friggin named NPC is essential, even the damned generals, and the radiant AI system isn’t actually random, and NPCs can interrupt you in the middle of a dragon fight which DOESN’T stop time even though you can cut their dialogue off, and aaaaaagh.

• Unaco says:

“Seriously. It wasn’t that amazing of a game, but those people thought it was. So for them to think Dawnguard is bad? Must mean it’s pretty friggin bad.”

Or seriously f*cking good!

• The_cake_is_a_lemon says:

Don’t forget the lack of headshots

• CptPlanet says:

Where are you reading all these bad reviews from fansites? From what I’ve read Dawnguard is pretty good.

• simonh says:

Yeah, never was a big fan of the Fallout 3 DLC either, seems like they try to make up for little content with giving you overpowered items. Less DLC and give us a proper full-size expansion instead (Return to Morrowind please?).

3. Was Neurotic says:

I still use the default PC UI, which I still find to be fluid and intuitive. But eh, that’s just me.

• reggiep says:

It is objectively not fluid. Fluidity is something you can measure — how quickly and easily (number of clicks required) to get from one area of the interface to another. By nature of the interface being built for a controller, it is absolutely not fluid on the PC as it doesn’t take advantage of the mouse or common mouse-optimized PC controls like drop downs selections and such or even table sorting.

Yes, it’s intuitive, in that you can easily understand how it works. That doesn’t make it good. It’s cumbersome and clunky rather than streamlined, efficient and responsive. Even SkyUI, which is a massive improvement, could be better.

• pastatdude says:

Oh please. Fluidity in this context is not objective. It’s opinion. If we’re talking about how something conforms to the configuration of a containing vessel, then sure. You can make your point. Here? No. You’re defining fluidity however you want. That throws objectivity out the window. I could say that for me, fluidity is how smooth the inventory scrolls with the mouse wheel. Which is quite smooth indeed. Therefore it has great fluidity. See how easy it is to make things up?

• Premium User Badge thristhart says:

fluidity is literally “the property of flowing easily”; which matches his definition. Words do actually have definitions, you know.

edit: see http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=fluidity

• MordeaniisChaos says:

Oh for fuck’s sake, someone can think a I has a good flow even if you don’t. In UI, the “flow” means jack shit. To one of you, it means “how few clicks” and to another it means “how smooth the animations are” and to yet another it means “how slick the presentation of transitions are from one thing to another.” You’re a load of fucking high horse riding pricks. Words have meanings, and “flow” has absolutely no traits to do with computer sciences at all that can be succinctly defined. All flow means is a constant movement or manifestation of a substance of concept from a particular source or along a particular path. Saying a UI “flows” well is like saying it’s a smooth experience. Does that mean your mouse doesn’t have friction applied when you use it? Does it mean that the mouse movements have been processed to hell so that they stop and start and curve smoothly?
            On top of that, the Skryim UI works fine as it stands in the Vanilla game. Could it have been better? Yes! Is it the Oblivion UI, which was actually an awful bit of interface? No. It’s much better designed, more attractive, and perfectly functional. SkyUI is great and all, but its reliance on things that tend to break when the game is patched is a little frustrating. Icons could be a little more intuitive, as well, in my opinion.
            There are some small issues with the Skyrim UI such as how it handles keybindings and how it displays them and all that, but other than that, it works fine for me.

• Vorphalack says:

Except you would still be wrong as the inventory doesn’t always respond accurately to mouse scrolling. It’s garbage.

• Kdansky says:

You are entitled to your own opinion.
          You are not entitled to your own version of reality.

Fact: It takes way more clicks than strictly necessary, and the mouse wheel behaves unlike any other application.

The UI is fixed by mods by now. The craptastic combat mechanics are not, and neither are the plot lines that are so shallow that they would evaporate instantly on a mild spring day.

Also a tip: Don’t write a mod and put it on Steam. People will ask of you to keep it updates through version, make it compatible with their other mods (which is really hard, since most authors will just edit everything a bit, and Bethesda didn’t deign to have decent conflict resolution), or worse, ask for completely inane features. Often, they ask about stuff that was answered in the description of the mod itself.

• Brun says:

The craptastic combat mechanics are not

Speaking of having your own version of reality. I would look into a mod called SkyRe if you want better combat mechanics. It’s still very much in development but vastly improves the perk trees and combat abilities.

• aliksy says:

I would’ve enjoyed the combat more if it had location based damage like the Fallout games. Also if the HP was a little less inflated. I just wanted to head shot bandits. Possibly with lightning.

• MrTrent says:

“Fact: It takes way more clicks than strictly necessary”

I’m assuming by “fact” you meant to write “not fact”.

It takes a grand total of zero mouse clicks to navigate the menu. All you need is your left hand which is already resting comfortably on WASD. Left ring finger over to tab, WASD to bring up whichever menu you want, WASD to navigate, E to select/deselect, maybe F to add an item/spell to favourites as well.

You only have to use the mouse when you want to have different weapons/spells in the left and right hand, in which case you have to perform a massively complicated procedure which i call “clicking on it once with LMB/RMB”.

I can navigate the menus and completely change what my character is wearing and has equipped in a matter of seconds. That’s what i call fluid.

• Eddy9000 says:

“So, yes, you can be content with the interface — that’s your opinion. Just don’t try to claim that it meets some objective measure of efficiency and quality because it doesn’t.”

Ffs, which part of “but that’s just me” suggested to you that the OP was making an objective claim about anything? You either need to:

A) look up ‘objective’ and ‘subjective’ in the dictionary, or
        B) get yourself a glass of water and sit in the shade for a bit; this hot weather doesn’t suit everyone.

• skalpadda says:

The default UI is fine if you use the WASD keys to navigate it, the only issue I have with it is the wonky item stacking, but that’s no biggie.

• StingingVelvet says:

As someone else said, stop using the mouse. The menus are fast and wonderful with WASD and don’t require you to move your hand at all, which is lovely. I would say the menus are fluid and also simple and clean, which I enjoy. The SkyUI mod makes it work more like an Excel spreadsheet, which maybe you’re more comfortable with due to whatever factors, but that doesn’t make it better.

Most people who complain about Skyrim’s UI are people who insist on using the mouse to navigate it even when that makes no sense. Morrowind had a built-for-PC mouse-driven menu and I freaking hated it. Skyrim’s UI is much better.

• Wut The Melon says:

But using WASD (the ‘console method’ of using joystick instead of mouse) is simply less efficient, because you have to go through everything you DON’T need before you get to what you DO need. (Besides, WASD can’t be named an advantage over SkyUI considering that you can also use WASD for SkyUI).

Plus, SkyUI may be compared to Excel sheets, but it does show more items and more info per item in the inventory screen, giving you a better and more complete overview.

Of course, in the end it is entirely possible that you prefer the vanilla interface (apparently, anyway), and much of this discussion is either semantic or subjective, but I really can’t see any advantages the vanilla interface has over SkyUI.

• StingingVelvet says:

I only watched video of SkyUI since I like the normal UI. If it still allows WASD that is good. I don’t think it changes anything I said though… using WASD the menus are quick, easy and fluid, as the original poster said.

• skalpadda says:

“But using WASD (the ‘console method’ of using joystick instead of mouse) is simply less efficient, because you have to go through everything you DON’T need before you get to what you DO need.”

On the other hand, pressing a button on the keyboard is a much quicker and more precise action than moving the mouse pointer and then clicking (you have to move it across all the pixels you DON’T want to click on.. ;)). I guess it comes down to what you’re used to and what you prefer, but the default interface isn’t awful if you’re willing to use WASD and I prefer it over SkyUI for the simple reason that I sit a little bit away from my monitor and the text is bigger and less cluttered.

• Ultra-Humanite says:

At the very least, it’s not so terrible that it deserves the amount of whine-induced hyperbole it receives around these parts.

• Unaco says:

Fazakerley.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Oh, it’s terrible, but it’s nowhere near as bad as the UI in both Witcher games.

At least with the Witcher series I can easily ignore the UI simply because the games are fantastically good. Can’t say the same for Skyrim, unfortunately — the overall craptasticness of that one just makes its poor menu system even more overt.

• Arglebargle says:

This is kind of a Bozo argument. A good interface lets you set it up to work as you’d prefer it to. Skyrim failed at this intially, and for obvious reasons. Some of the hardcoded stuff went so against convention and muscle memory that it made the game troublesome. I play a bunch of different games: instead of each having it’s own unique control set up, I prefer to set it up MY WAY.

For example everyone I know who played it had continual problems with unintentionally loading huge containers worth of stuff into inventory because of the internally inconsistant behavior of the keys.

Of course, this is Bethesda we are talking about….

• Caiman says:

Much as I like the SkyUI mod, it obviously wasn’t designed with a controller in mind. And for some reason despite being a PC gamer I really prefer using the controller with Skyrim. It’s the fact that lockpicking is actually feasible with the controller (vibration clues) and the better feel of the combat (vibration again) makes up for the slight lack of precision compared with the mouse.

4. RogerMellie says:

Recently started it again with a 2 hander, heavy armoured Orc. Fun, fun, fun. I seem to have perks to spare though… Choices, choices.

The houses on the map mod is also a massive help for convenience’s sake.

• db1331 says:

I ran into that same issue on my 2 hander character. The only perks you really need with that build are two handed weapons, heavy armor, and smithing. That leaves a lot of skill points lying around.

• Eddy9000 says:

The basic block perks and right side of the block tree are useful. Also conjuration, just for the fun of joining two daedric princes in battle.

5. Lagwolf says:

I am not sure why people hate the UI so much it is not as bad as say Blacklight Retribution’s. That said people who seem to really loath the UI are casters, something which my character is not at all interested in.

• DrGonzo says:

I think it’s appalling. Yes, Blacklights is worse, but I don’t see how that’s relevant. McDonalds isn’t quality food simply because KFC is worse.

• Gallandz says:

I think it’s appalling that anyone would think that KFC is worse than McDonalds! KFC is objectively FAR superior to the slop served at McD’s!

• Maritz says:

Every six months or so I get a hankering for some KFC. Then I go buy some and remember why I left it six months. It never fails to disappoint.

For me, it’s BK or no way.

• Stevostin says:

If you play with companions, or do any form of craft, it really gets on you as something painful. If you don’t do that, I think it’s even a good UI. But it’s just not done for dealing with a lot of stuff al the time. ME isn’t any better but the need to deal with item is so much dumbed down that it feels immensely better. If you plan to do craft, You can’t make it artificially painful as it is in Skyrim.

• DrGonzo says:

Why is it good to only give us about 4 items on a screen that could easily fit over a dozen? And why is it good to have buttons that aren’t aligned with your mouse cursor, meaning you have to hover a few pixels away from what you actually want to click on? That’s how it works for me at least.

In dialogue it’s even worse, and SkyUI doesn’t fix that. I often have the right bit under my mouse, I click and it selects another random choice for no reason. Now I have to resort to keeping the mouse cursor well away from the selection and do it with the mouse wheel instead.

I would have been embarrassed to have released such a good game with such an appalling UI.

• reggiep says:

The hover detection on what are essentially hyperlinks or text buttons is absolutely atrocious. I find using the keyboard offers a bit of certainty. But yes, that just adds to the “clunky” part of the interface, which is only a minor problem in my opinion.

The game requires a lot of inventory management and offers no solutions for doing it other than the ability to install mods.

• Kdansky says:

How to cut back on inventory management:
            Use a mod to remove most (if not all) weight from items. So you can carry around more stuff. That does not break the game, it only makes it less tedious. Prime example would be Demons Souls vs Dark Souls. The second game removed carry weight completely.

Problems solved:
            - No putting stuff in boxes every five minutes.
            - No searching for that accidentally picked up rock to drop it to make room.

Problems introduced:
            - The completely unrealistic* game is now slightly more unrealistic.

Good deal!

*You can carry (for example) 30 iron swords (each 9 weight) before, and still have enough space for a set of armor, some potions and twenty billion gold pieces.

• Unaco says:

Indeed. I didn’t see it as the abomination that others saw it as. It wasn’t the best, it could definitely have been better, but it didn’t raise bile in my throat, or keep me from sleeping at night. A small issue in a huge game full of goodness.

• Shooop says:

Because it’s something you have to use constantly.

Blacklight’s is worse, but it’s not something you have to go into every 10 minutes to continue the game.

• Xari says:

Skyrim’s default UI is objectively bad. No, seriously, if you know what the term “screen real estate” means you’ll also know that Skyrim’s interface is among the worst in handling it. This is actually an otherwise basic concept that you learn in a graphical design course and Skyrim’s UI falls flat on its face in its approach.

I actually have no idea how anyone can tolerate and sometimes even appreciate the fact that their inventory and spells are forced into what amounts to maybe 15% of your display’s space with only a scrolling function to browse through them. Have standards fallen this low?

• derbefrier says:

I didmt mind the UI either. It was kinda wierd at first but once I got used to it, it worked pretty good.

• Zenicetus says:

I hated the default UI on sight, not just because it’s objectively a poor design in the way it wastes screen area, but because it looked like lazy development. Like someone did the minimal amount of effort to throw some lists on the screen, and the project manager said “yeah fine, that’s good enough.”

That, combined with the nagging feeling that it was optimized for consoles and gamepad input, instead of high-res PC displays with mouse & keyboard.

6. Splynter says:

About the title image and alt-text: Firstly, that image looks like the dragon is a long lost friend and the two of you are about to have an awesome dragonny hug.

Second, main quest? Pah! A friend of mine, around the time Skyrim came out, would constantly ask me whether or not I’d ‘beaten’ the game yet, which is really missing the point.

• Greggh says:

People are too afraid of the dragon apocalypse… [SPOILER for consideration] I’ve chosen the path to not prevent Alduin from destroying the world, ya know? Like, the flames of the old world will bring a world anew, etc.. This IS a Role-playing game after all.

And dragon rend? Picking up Elder Scrolls? This is just too much for a bosmer like me.

• Phantoon says:

Sounds like the sort of friend that would say “HURR I TOOK AN ARROW TO DA KNEE XD” in an effort to be… something. But didn’t play enough to come across curhvhed shords or the cloud district, and how you never get there often.

Of course a lot of people liked Skyrim. They’re the Call of Duty crowd, given an RPG.

• StingingVelvet says:

You win the pretentious man with a need to feel superior award of the day.

• Shadram says:

I love Skyrim. I’ve never played Call of Duty. I’ve completed Planescape: Torment multiple times.

• StingingVelvet says:

I like Skyrim, Planescape AND Call of Duty.

*internet explodes*

• Cockles says:

Quick, ring the bells! Awake! Fire, foes! To arms my friends! This guy likes things because he likes them. GET HIM!!!

7. F. Lynx Pardinus says:

I just bought Skyrim at the Summer Sale, and I’m wondering what the consensus is on which are the “required” mods? Not mods that add content or quests, but just ones that improve the core experience, ala the Complete mods for the Stalker series. From the article, it seems like I should install SkyUI–anything else?

• diamondmx says:

In my opinion, SkyUI is the only mandatory mod. You probably want the HD textures mod from Bethesda/Steam too if your PC can handle it (it probably can).

• Premium User Badge Durkonkell says:

I’m very fond of UFO – Ultimate Follower Overhaul which does lots and lots of things: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/14037

And Convenient Horses which is a really excellent horse overhaul mod that works with UFO. Yup, followers use horses now rather than running along behind you stupidly. It’s here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/14950

I’d also absolutely recommend Cliffworms’ Sounds of Skyrim series, but they’ve been taken down temporarily due to a save-bloating bug.

• Zenicetus says:

I agree that SkyUI and the HD textures are probably the best ones to start with. Then ease your way into other mods as you get familiar with the game.

There is a mod (can’t remember the name) that replaces the default map and shows the roads and main foot paths, with options for cloud effect removal and some nice texturing options. I preferred finding at least the main roads myself in the early game, but after discovering the main cities and opening up more of the map, I found this very useful for remembering where the trails were.

• Eddy9000 says:

Posh mudcrabs are an absolute must have.

• F. Lynx Pardinus says:

Thanks to everyone for your replies. SkyUI it is, and then I might add more mods later.

• skalpadda says:

A Quality World Map With Roads and Categorized Favorites Menu are well worth checking out as well.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

W.A.T.E.R mod makes all the rivers and lakes in Skyrim look so inviting and real that you will want to go bathing in them. Sometimes that mod takes my breath away. For me this is one of the ‘must have’ graphical mods as its size and simplicity belies what a visual impact it has.

Another graphical mod that makes the game look rather beautiful is the ENB Cinematic Lighting Mod. Its not to all tastes, but it can often make the game look jaw-droppingly stunning. Other HD upgrades that make the world look more realistic include HD textures for plants, and a re-working of snow. There are also distant terrain mods that make far-off vistas look stunning. Basically, my version of the game doubles as a very attractive holiday destination!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Dont know why that reply showed up there. Was aimed at the OP asking about must-have mods.

• Schmitzkater says:

I still heartily recommend Gopher’s “Skyrim Mod Sanctuary” collection on the youtubes. ( http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96C073B0B8BFC01D )

It’s an overview of plenty awesome mods that (mostly) don’t disturb the vanilla Skyrim feel, and if they do he’ll tell you. Some of them are outdated by now (the Skyrim more Memory mod, ..) but whenever that’s the case he has mostly updated his videos to say so.

And if the videos are not to your liking then Skyrim Total Enhancement Project also has a very in-depth and up-to-date guide for a ton of useful mods. ( http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11/ )

8. gladius2metal says:

“It’s odd to look back to the many frustrations of Skyrim’s launch, all those PC-specific oversights and technical flaws that drove us spare”…
    I find it kinda interesting that people complain or mention flaws with Skyrim (Bethesda Games in general) so much. Note: I started playing Skyrim in December, maybe most major bugs were fixed by then, but a few months ago I got Deus Ex HR (Steam – hence patched), which was released in August 2011… now the odd thing is, I saw bugs in this game that I have never seen in Skyrim (and according to my steam stats, I played Skyrim more than any other game!). People hanging in the air… (in a really small world in comparison with Skyrim) but the “best thing” was a bug that is a quest breaker: about an invisible/misplaced enemy you have to kill… that bug has been noticed in August 2011
    still in May/June 2012 it is not fixed…
    maybe I got really lucky with all the Bethesda games Fallout 3/NV, Morrowind, Oblivion & Skyrim, but I never had such a quest breaker.

• Premium User Badge Cinek says:

Oh, I’m jealous man!
      In Skyrim I’ve got 3 quests completely blocked out because of various bugs in them. Lucky me I even managed to complete the campaign (although got stuck twice thanks to the bugs – had to use console cheats to make it progress – AFAIK none of them is fixed as of today).
      And then there are bugs you’ve never seen in any other game! Remember dragons flying backwards? (thank god it was fixed eventually) Insane collision detection issues? People freezing dead mid-air? Shots flying through enemies like a through a fog?
      And the greatest bug of all: The interface?

C’mon! DX:HR is nearly-perfect game comparing to Skyrim. Through all my 3 gameplays in it I seen only one bug: floating character. Everything else went fine. And the interface was masterpiece comparing to Skyrim.

• gladius2metal says:

well, that is crazy… I know of all these Skyrim errors from seeing them on the wikis etc. , but I can’t remember having any issues myself… I can remember one incident very early on: I had to edit one config file to correct the mouse movement issue vertical/horizontal… that’s it.

I have 88 % of all Skyrim achievements.
        I have 57 ‘% of all DX:HR achievements.
        I played Skyrim 8 times(!) more (in hours according to my stats) than DX:HR.

well, I guess I was very lucky on Skyrim for me it is a perfect game, I had no glitches, I played a long time without mods and also quite some time with mods. I finished all major quest lines, except the thieves guild.
        I guess for me the flaws in DX:HR a personally worse, because it was the first time I encountered a quest breaker bug and also it is very limited in comparison to Skyrim (open-world vs. annoying small level game). Also I was lost more often in DX:HR than in Skyrim, although the scope of DX:HR is quite smaller.

The Skyrim UI isn’t the best for sure, but I heard early on that is best used with mainly the keyboard, I tried that and the “annoyance” was nearly completely gone.

• Baines says:

The backwards dragon was bad, but Modern Warfare 3 tried to give Skyrim a run for its money. Perhaps even exceeded Skyrim in issues, and certainly exceeded Skyrim in failure to address issues.

That, unfortunately may become increasingly true for future games. Just as games like Skyrim and MW3 are worse in that area than the games of 5-10 years ago.

9. Axyl says:

I’m going to wait. My PC is a touch on the beastly side (16Gb 2133Mhz RAM, i5, GTX680) so i play Skyrim with a large loadout of mods. Mostly graphical improvements, but a few gameplay tweaks too (Channeled magic that scales with lvl = <3 )

With that in mind.. I'm sick of every patch and expansion breaking them all and/or the save games I'm using at the time.

Bethesda follow a pattern with their First Person RPGs.. Main Game, 4 "Expansion" DLCs, final patch then done.

So.. I'm going to put down the game I bought at launch, and not touch it again for likely another year until it's "complete".. then I'll mod the ever loving crap out of it again, and FINALLY be able to enjoy the product I originally intended to play.

Why I didn't just wait for the inevitable GOTY edition is beyond me, but this "buy this product and then KEEP buying it until the next title comes out" mindset is REALLY getting on my tits.

• Bostec says:

A little off topic but whats the GTX680 like noise wise? I’m looking to get the GTX670, something to secure me graphically for the next 3-4 years and not sound like a jet engine.

• Shooop says:

According to Maximum PC it’s quite good. It has great power managing features built into it and it doesn’t heat up as much as the 500 cards.

• Bostec says:

That sounds good, low power means low noise too, cheers, going to go and save my penny’s i think.

10. Shooop says:

I put over 200 hours into Skyrim and honestly I think I might be done. The Dawnguard DLC is worthless according to several reviews.

I’ve done pretty much everything that can be done in the game. Maybe if combat wasn’t so laughably bad I’d be much more inclined to pick it up now and again.

• CyberPunkRock says:

Same here. Just imagine Skyrim’s beautiful world with the fighting mechanics of Dark Souls.
      For me that would be the perfect RPG.

I played Skyrim for 200+ hours but since I got Dark Souls (even bought an XBOX just for this game, me being a die-hard pc gamer for nearly two decades) every time I think about playing Skyrim again the memory of the bad combat puts me of.

But then again, Dark Souls PC is only a month away. :-)

• Kdansky says:

I wish I could wipe my memories of Dark Souls so I can play it once more. New Game+ just isn’t the same.

And the worst thing about it: DS doesn’t actually have complex combat-mechanics, but they tuned it really well. When you compare it to Demon’s Souls, it’s really obvious in how many ways they improved.

• Shooop says:

I’m sorry I have to do this but…

GFWL is a confirmed requirement for Dark Souls PC.

• Roshin says:

“Dark Souls – Prepare to GFWL”

• derbefrier says:

Guess I am one of those people that have never has any issues with gfwl. I have heard all the horror stories but its always worked just fine for me. Is the hate for it just based on problems it had years ago or something? I don’t know and I guess I really don’t care as I have never had any problems with it. I pre ordered dark souls the second it was available on steam. Can’t wait for it.

• Shooop says:

You’re a very lucky minority. It’s notorious for going haywire, and since it’s DRM you can’t play anything tethered to it until it behaves.

Just yesterday I bought GTA4 and it couldn’t even start the game until I manually updated GFWL. And then it wouldn’t accept my login data. Then I had to spend 20 minutes trying to reset my password because Microsoft’s Live website didn’t want to work with Firefox.

Even minor problems are made into total clusterfucks by it and that’s why we revile it.

11. MythArcana says:

Tired of all this corporate crap and exclusivity. The PC users get sloppy seconds after the console kiddies, then Valve hoards it over at the moron dojo in the end. Sad state of affairs here in the gaming world.

• Grargh says:

Why is there even a microsoft-imposed waiting time for windows users? It’s not as if the Xbox kiddies paid significantly more for their toy than we did for the damn operating system. I don’t really have a clue what they hope to achieve with this.

• Brun says:

Microsoft wants to drive users toward the Xbox, away from the PC and PS3. That’s always been the point of exclusivity windows. It has very little to do with who paid more – it’s about making people want to play games on the platform that gives Microsoft the most control over the user experience, and right now that’s the Xbox.

• Unaco says:

Staggered release, and therefore support. MS paid for exclusivity on the XBox for 30 days. Bethesda get money, MS/XBox have an exclusive (for a time), and the two got together to work closely on some things for the product. It also meant that they could concentrate on 1 platform for a time. They can then take the lessons learned from that concentrating on the 1 platform, and apply it to the other 2 platforms.

Yes, it means that PS3/PC customers have to wait to see the DLC, but it also means that (hopefully) when it does arrive, a lot of the bugs/issues will have been found and worked out (during the XBox exclusivity period). The XBox release was something of ‘guinea pig’ situation, and the PC/PS3 releases should be somewhat more stable and bug/issue free.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Myth, what you need is sports. Yup, become a fanatic sportsman. Give up games, really. Gym in the morning, kick some balls in the day time – preferably your own, go cycling in the evening, fly-fishing on weekends.

12. Freud says:

Being a somewhat compulsive minmaxer my Skyrim character is so powerful that I don’t think there is any point to playing any DLC.

Sure I could enjoy the vistas while I kill stuff with bow sneak attacks but I already did that quite a bit in the original.

• Vinraith says:

And that’s why you never play a Bethesda RPG without a rebalance mod that, among other things, slows leveling.

• Freud says:

I don’t mind. I get my 100 hours of enjoyment while ending up really powerful. Was the same way in Morrowind and Oblivion (and Fallout: NV) for me. I’ve done most of the quests and seen most of the stuff. I have other things to play. I got good value for my money.

If the combat system was better and the opponents more entertaining to fight, I wouldn’t mind slowing things down.

13. rustybroomhandle says:

I think I will pass on this. I like Skyrim well enough, but the consequence-free actions just annoyed me. Even simple numbers-based faction mechanics like in Fo:NV would have been better than how it ended up.

It’s pretty, but also vapid.

14. Strangerator says:

Part of me wishes that they would just say, “Ok, we’re going to stop releasing patches and expansions for PC.” That way, people would begin work on the truly massive overhauls and the unofficial patching could be more finalized. Just leave the PC modding community to work its magic, and leave the lackluster DLC for the consoles.

• Vinraith says:

Shivering Isles was better than Oblivion. Old World Blues was brilliant. I’d like the DLC/expansions, thanks, I can wait a bit longer for finalized modding and unofficial patches.

• Premium User Badge Thirith says:

I have to say, I found Shivering Isles somewhat overrated at the time. It felt like it thought itself more clever, witty and interesting than it actually was, at least in terms of the writing. Old World Blues, though, was pure gold, at least in terms of the writing.

• Brun says:

A lot of people really liked Shivering Isles because it was a return to the Morrowind-esque “strangeness” of the world.

• Premium User Badge Thirith says:

Visually, yes – the world looked great. I just felt that its version of insanity was less than interesting. Basically I agree with Jim Rossignol’s take here.

• pipman3000 says:

I’d also prefer DLC over quest mods with terrible amateur voice-acting I know Bethesda’s voice-acting isn’t that great but it’s better then listening to some random guy from Skyrim Nexus rasping into a cheap microphone trying to do his best impersonation of an Argonian woman.

Besides it looks like the Skyrim mod community is more concerned with adding fetish wear and giant tits to everything in the game. Maybe after they’re done adding sex poses to all the children in Skyrim you might start seeing things like Dawnguard being made by them (with animated vampire prostitution).

15. Blackcompany says:

People still play Skyrim? To each their own.

Since starting EVE, I have found other sandbox games lacking. Open world games need choices with consequence. Or survival as a major mechanic. Skyrim lacks both. To me it felt like a reskinned oblivion re-release, with even less focus on immersion than before.

• pipman3000 says:

Clearly Skyrim needs more spreadsheets and libertarians*

*Vote for Jarl Ron Gold-Standard 4E 201

• lexoneir says:

I don’t really find EVE to be immersive at all…though it is a ‘true’ sandbox. I can’t see my character. My character is immortal. Doesn’t have to eat, sleep, or do anything but sit in his/her ship.

You can add survival needs to Skyrim with mods. Though I agree that its something that should have been added to the game as an automatic option, like Hardcore Mode in New Vegas. But then they might have had to have a more complicated UI. They couldn’t have that could they?

16. lowprices says:

I’d optimise your stability any day Alec.

Phwoar etc.

17. DazedByTheHaze says:

Oh how I loved the shouts and the storyline up to it… then I relized that I have to use it in combat, skyrim combat. “Verkackten scheisse verfickten hurensohne!”

Never got over 10 hours …

18. ssbowers says:

This broke my install. Now I can’t play. RATS!

19. lexoneir says:

I feel like Skyrim had so much raw potential. Even in the game itself I can see so much potential. But it’s just not fullfilled. The environment is beautiful, and more beautiful with mods. But the content just doesn’t meet the standard. Once you realize how idiotically short the faction (or ‘guild’) quests are, immersion is lost. I can be the leader of everything, and it doesn’t take very long, and I don’t have to have a large amount of skills in the guild’s area. Not only that, but we can’t really expect there to be much improvement in this area in terms of modding, simply because of the fact that the game uses voice acting – so we’re totally dependent on bethesda to actually make sufficient content. They didn’t.

Then, of course, we come to magic. As someone who likes to play the mage role, and who loved playing as a mage is morrowind, it was a shock to see what the spell system had been reduced to. Oblivion screwed with it enough, limiting what it could do, and how much it could do, but skyrim gutted it completely. Few effects survived. Many of the spells are ‘higher level’ duplicates of identical or nearly identical effects. Spell creation is out the window. The creativity in the magic system is out the window.

There are simple things the game could have done – or at least they seem simple to my untrained self. Things like allowing the user to see their character get into the bed as the screen faded to black. Making it so the sneak-attack kills with a dagger ALWAYS triggers the stealth killmove when it kills, instead of simply slashing. The marriage system, while certainly a gimmick or even throwaway feature, was comically limited as well. Your marriage partner couldn’t even be kissed. There were no animations added to make that relationship seem even slightly realistic. He/she has a ‘shop’, but is always at home. The cities should have been open cities, and not closed cities. You should be able to enter a city without a loading screen. That would have been open world. Though I suppose there are hardware limitations in that case, either imposed by the consoles, or just in general. With vampires, they could have made them into real vampires, and made it so you could have an animation to drink people who were standing up. There could have been more riding animals, there could have been boats, there could have been better transportation to use instead of using the fast-travel system. You could have had more pet companions. Cities could have been larger, and, as I said before, part of the environment instead of separate locations.

Its baffling. Was it money? Why couldn’t they make it a great game?

20. Kageru says:

So many times I’ve gone to buy Skyrim on steam and then realised I don’t want to pay 150% of US prices for a digital download (Australia and no, it’s not taxes, or indeed most games).

Though it does have the advantage of allowing time for mods to fix Bethseda’s eternally terrible attempts at game balance.

…. so I guess I’m not going to be interested in the DLC either.

21. Alexrd says:

So, is this still Steamworks? Well, their loss.