Death Becomes This Darksiders II Footage

By Jim Rossignol on July 25th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Whatever gripes a lowly hack like Jim Rossignol might have thrown at the original Darksiders game, there was no denying that it was spectacular and handsome. That hasn’t changed for the next game, the cleverly titled Darksiders II, which casts its web of hypnotic fantasy violence our way in a two minute slice of (mostly) in-game footage, below. I really do like a) the classically demonic demon, and b) that giant stone bastard at the end. Yeah, that’s the stuff.

We first had a look at the game a year ago, and we’ll have a hands-on preview for you later this week.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

AmateurScience says:

Looks groovy, was pleasantly surprised by the first one, if they can step it up for this one it’ll be worth a ping says I.

2. Obc says:

nice trailer. can’t wait for it. the stone boss reminds of one of the collosus (yeah you know the one). so many great models in the game. (cthulu monster and the gryphon look amazing)

“Death comes for All” has a nice ring to it.

so there will be 4 worlds with 4 endbosses?

btw i don’t want to sound to youtuby but whats the song in the trailer? i dare not ask in the youtube comment section -.-

• Srethron says:

The song sounds a lot like something Two Steps From Hell would do, but I don’t know what it is either.

3. Jehar says:

The first title got so many things right. Pacing, aesthetic, moderately open world, crunchy combat feedback, and the zelda-esque dungeon patterning. The one thing that really broke it for me was the fact that none of the weapons really mattered. You could defeat any baddie just as well with one weapon as with the other. It would really complete things if the weapons had different tactical uses here. I realize that this one is going to be a little more puzzle-centric, but a Doom-like tactical element would be really welcome here.

4. povu says:

You don’t see many games of this genre on PC, I’m glad we’ve got Darksiders.

Diziet Sma says:

Being a bit of a muppet at times and looking at the pretty picture before reading the headline my brain:

“Oooh Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver; shiny”

• Althus says:

After I saw the Picture, I asked Raziel?, you are back and more buffed up, then I saw the name of the game “darksiders 2″

Diziet Sma says:

After writing that comment and thinking that it can’t have been an original thought I googled “Darksiders Soul Reaver” and discovered it very much wasn’t. Seeing as I actually ‘own’ (in the world playstation plus) the game I should probably play it.

The Sombrero Kid says:

Thought the first one was okish, hoping this one will knock it out the park.

7. Archipelagos says:

The first one was much better than I had expected: gorgeous world, interesting storyline, decent VA and some (heavily borrowed, sure — but what isn’t?) fun gameplay. If they can improve and build upon the basic structure of the first game this could be something very special.

8. The JG Man says:

Easily my most anticipated game of the year, had it pre-ordered for a shameful amount of time. So much about it looks fantastic, from the art design (really taking it up to 11), the loot and combat. The entire scope of it just screams bigger, better, bad-asser. The system requirements were also released recently and they’re pretty decent. Shame no DX11, but I’m hoping the art design makes up for that, which it really looks like it will.

TheApologist says:

Yep – enjoyed the first one. That’ll do nicely.

10. RogerioFM says:

The narrator’s voice sounds familiar, maybe I heard him on LA Noire? Man, I still dream about a new Legacy of Kain game, Raziel and Kain were one of the most well developed characters in any game.

11. Fierce says:

Hooray, Uriel is back! I really enjoyed fighting her and she remains one of the more interesting conflicted female characters in this franchise and perhaps even in modern gaming (A small feat, but still a feat). Will be looking forward to seeing how she interacts with Death.

While truly a shame they couldn’t bump the technological competence to levels deserving of a PC appearance a la Devil May Cry 4, Saints Row 3rd, and others like them, franchise standards of this caliber are why THQ deserves to live, uDraw losses be damned.

I just hope not too much of the game mechanics have been copy pasted over to the sequel. The trailer’s horse combat and Griffin riding looked suspiciously similar to both the mounted combat sequences of the original. Here’s hoping there’s more to this sequel than consolitis normally allows.

• Sentient Waffle says:

Indeed, loved Uriel in the first, hope we’ll see more of her in this.

All in all, I think it looks great, and the first one was one of the best surprises that year, really good game.

12. gulag says:

Bumbling my way through the first one at the moment (Apocalypse mode for my first play-through. What was I thinking?) Love the artwork, love the world, love the silly earnestness of it all.

That said, having delivered this faithful a distillation of Zelda/GodofWar/Soulreaver, I’m scratching my head trying to figure out how DS2 will follow it up without it simply being a re-skin of the original.

Watching this one with interest.

13. Kein says:

Why do I have feeling there is no PC version of that.

• notjasonlee says:

it’s weird that the trailer only shows this as being for xbox and ps3, especially since it is going to be released on the pc simultaneously (they’ve released the pc specs for the game already).

liquidsoap89 says:

Please don’t make War the end boss… That was my first thought seeing that little bit in the trailer.

jezcentral says:

En taro Tassadar!

16. Srethron says:

“Pre-order at Gamest-”

Enjoyed the first one a lot. My only complaint was that most of the combat was easy enough that holding down LMB was enough to win most of the time.

17. Bob says:

Yeah it looks good. I’m gonna grab it but after the Steam sale buy-a-thon, I don’t know when I’ll play it.

18. asshibbitty says:

The first one was such a wholesome game. Most games these days feel fleeting and halfhearted to me, DS was big and epic. Still can’t believe the RPS reviewer couldn’t beat that one miniboss.

• Lemming says:

I know someone who couldn’t get past that miniboss either, and then just refused to play the game after that.

No matter how many times I said, “just play it on fucking easy first!” They wouldn’t have it. Some people think it outrageous to play on anything but hard mode in a game they’ve never tried before.

The combat had a rhythm and flow to it that was unique, and monsters hit HARD on normal and hard modes.

I finished the game on easy, then went to hard once I knew how the bloody combat worked and it was a nice challenge instead of a spanking.