Wizard! Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition Out 18th Sept

By John Walker on July 26th, 2012 at 11:14 pm.

Lots of news on that remake of Baldur’s Gate. First of all, a release date – the 18th September. Second, a price – a surprisingly high $20 when it’s released, and a teeny pre-order reduction at $18. There are new adventures, characters, and improvements. Details below.

So you’ve three new characters to meet and join your party. There’s Rasaad yn Bashir, and Calishite Monk of Nashkel, who’ll take you to the Cloud Peaks, missus. Neera, a half-elf wild mage, who offers rrrrrrromance in a secluded hideaway near Durlag’s Tower. And Dorn Il-Khan, a half-orc Blackguard who seems awfully cross. Each will apparently add another four hours of game, featuring new areas and quests. There’s also a whole new adventure called The Black Pits, fifteen battles in the Underdark, that sound like an elaborate MMO-style dungeon, lasting six hours.

And of course there are all the other enhancements, including a new interface, matchmaking for multiplayer, improved coding and obviously enhanced for modern systems, everything that Baldur’s Gate 2 added in terms of classes and equipment, and new cinematics that have been made for this release. They also promise to keep fixing and improving the game after release, including aiding modding.

I’m surprised at the price. With the original version already seemingly overpriced on GOG.com at $10 (for a thirteen year-old game), able to receive rather a lot of the technical enhancements already for free (using things like the widescreen mod, Baldur’s Gate 2 engine features, etc), it strikes me that $20 might mean they miss a huge chunk of potential buyers. Yes – the game is clearly massive, and this enhanced version sounds wonderful. $20 for 100+ hours of gaming doesn’t seem too bad. But at $10 it’s hard not to think they’d see an awful lot more people willing to give it a go.

It’s also coming out for Mac (but no mention of Linux yet), as well as iPad. But as usual the poor Android has a “TBA” instead of a release date, which seems a massive shame with the Tegra 3-enhanced Google Nexus selling a billion copies a second. There’s still no sign of a screenshot showing off the new interface, which is a bit odd. Hopefully that’s something we’ll be seeing very soon.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. pakoito says:

Any word on mod compatibility? Any API stuff? That was the other selling point for me.

• squareking says:

From the BG page:

Ongoing Support
      Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition will continue to receive improvements after release, along with continued support for the vibrant mod community that has helped it remain so popular for so long.

• MuscleHorse says:

Pakoito, read the article.

2. Emeraude says:

20$ seems especially steep given a good chunk of the prospective buyers more than probably already own the game in one form or another.

• corver says:

I think the price is probably so high because they’re hoping to build up funding for future projects like BG3. $20 is more than I’d pay, but it does offer them the chance to hold sales for publicity later. Pricing it high also has other effects that I believe Jeff Vogel (of Spiderweb Software) has discussed at length. I guess we’ll see how it works out for them.

Also of note, Dear Esther launched at $10, to some consternation. Personally, I valued it at $4 so I didn’t buy it. Their choice of pricing doesn’t seem to have hurt them in the long run, though. The recent Steam sale gave them landmark numbers.

• Emeraude says:

My main problem is figuring out who happens to be their target audience, I guess.

That being said I find it interesting – and more importantly promising – that pricing seems to finally be gaining more elasticity.

• SirDimos says:

Well, if the added character storylines and Arena-style addon content really add 15ish extra hours of gameplay, that combined with all of the extra polish and modern-day compatibility right at the time of installation makes it worth it to me.

• Teovald says:

I am maybe not the general target of this remake, but I never played to Baldur’s Gate and I am looking forward to this enhanced edition on Steam & Android.
      The price point does not seem too high for me to discover this gem of gaming.

• gschmidl says:

It’s probably not coming out on Steam since it’s on Beamdog.

• ErrantConstruct says:

There’s a lot of legal hoop jumping according to Trent Oster’s twitter feed. The deal to make the project is confined to specific digital stores on each platform they are releasing the game for. Combined with the piracy fears he’s also expressed about Android, it seems unlikely that either Steam or Android with get it.

• f1x says:

Well I played the original one back in the days, and I played it again quite some more through the years,
      and I find difficult to justify a new purchase, specially when I dont see that much improvement,

I mean, I know it would’ve been titanic, but I would’ve expect sort of an “HD remake” but afaik its not like that, they fixed bugs, “improved interface” (which probably means streamlined) and added some content,

I dont know, we’ve had the monkey island hd remakes, and MDK hd remakes for that similar price, which is more justified considering the total graphical “overhaul” (no pun intended)

tldr: mixed feelings about this

• Thirith says:

I have to say, I’d rather not have paid for the Monkey Island 1 SE overhaul, at least for the graphics – I don’t think they were much of an improvement and altogether pretty lazily done. Other than that, though, the PC package of this does sound rather disappointing… but then, 1) I could very well imagine getting this for tablet and 2) I think us old-school fans are sometimes thinking like we’re the centre of the universe and every game release ought to be primarily for us. Are we even the biggest audience, or are the people who haven’t necessarily played Baldur’s Gate (because they weren’t playing games at the time) a bigger potential market?

• f1x says:

You are right, Monkey Island remake added little (actually nothing regarding content)
        but you gotta admit there was a huge amount of time/resources spent redrawing just everything

on the other hand yes, I would consider buying this for the iPad that would make some sense at least

• Thirith says:

That’s exactly it: the first Monkey Island SE did a pretty shoddy job of redrawing things. The characters were hit-and-miss, but the backgrounds were sloppy as hell – just check out some of the forest screens and switch between the big-pixel originals and the HD versions, and you’ll see how little they actually did. Lots of the original pixel work is still visible… It’s like they had their less-than-talented intern draw over the originals, giving him about 10-15 minutes per screen.

3. moopmoop says:

I thought the pricing seemed like a steal considering other more contemporary rpg’s are charging 9 dollars for an extra party member that has 4-5 lines of dialogue they repeat ad nauseam and nothing else to add to the game

4. Sheng-ji says:

Is this a remake of BG1 or the whole thing?

• Gundato says:

If memory serves: BG1 with Tales of the Sword Coast. BG2 (and Throne of Bhaal) will follow eventually, if this sells well.

That being said, I wonder how leveling will work with all this extra content. Would be funny to be near the level cap of ToB before you even meet Irenicus.

• Sheng-ji says:

Cool, thanks – yeah, they must have tweaked the xp a little which would be preferable to tweaking the rest of the games difficulty

5. Vinraith says:

The big question remains whether it will be available outside beamdog. I’d love to see this on GOG, personally.

• D3xter says:

Apparently not for now… I’ll just wait till it hits Steam or GoG, since I have no itnerest in their “Online service”.

Seeing as they are releasing MDK 2 HD on Steam in 3 days it doesn’t seem too far-fetched that this’ll come too given time: http://store.steampowered.com/app/213350/

• Cruyelo says:

You don’t need to use their service for the game.
        You’ll get a direct download link, the game will use a launcher that will make sure your game is updated and working.
        The launcher is not linked to their service or Beamdog client in any way, it simply lets you update and start the game and then closes.

They know people are not interested in joining a new service (on top of Steam, Origin, etc) so they made sure not to force it on people.

• Namey says:

That’s good to know. Makes me a lot more inclined to make the purchase for PC.

Though now I’m not sure do I want to get the PC version right away, or wait for a tablet version so I can have it as a “fresh” experience on tablet.

6. squareking says:

Thief!

7. Diogo Ribeiro says:

i… guess i’d be more receptive if it didn’t trigger my usual alarms re: underdark and romance. bg, or to be more specific, bg players never seem to let go of either for some reason.

also, 100+ hour game? it’s not the first time i’ve seen high play times for these games. i probably spent that much in the entire series – bg1, bg2 and both their expansions, while most players seem to have gone 400 on the second game alone. and i didn’t skip any content, i made sure of that.

• Eddy9000 says:

I did a run through all games and expansions recently and I’d estimate that 400 hours for the lot was an absolute minimum, probably nearer 500 but I didn’t time it or anything and wouldn’t like to say.
      Playing on lower difficulties will speed things up (I played on the highest), and moreso in the first one there is loads to find on the open world maps, I ended up arranging my party in the ‘V’ formation and trawling each area.

As for the romance and underdark, I expect they’ll be entirely skippable if you just want to play a better looking baldurs.

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

i remember playing near the hardest difficulty (don’t remember the names, though; but i know it was the one before the highest because the highest had no appeal for me – i prefer smarter difficulties, not creatures dealing incredimight damage for no reason). that’s where i spent my full 100 playthrough – across both games and expansions.

either i was crazy good or something doesn’t add up :(

• Eddy9000 says:

Yeah, not really sure! There are whole areas that can be missed, and pretty much all of the actual city of Baldurs gate (I didn’t even find Dynaher the first time) but it sounds like you referred to a walkthrough or something not to miss everything. Quite a lot of my time was exploration and side questing

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

i have to rectify something, though – while i don’t remember my very first playthrough it probably took over 100. by how much i don’t know, but i’m estimating 200. i certainly took my time exploring, though i didn’t waste much time doing so. always having a rogue helped a lot. subsequente playthroughs though, even those where i returned to bg1 to export characters, were definetely made in shorter time.

i think the only time i refered to a walkthrough for bg was in bg2 – there’s this door on one of the city districts that required a gem to open (in the docks, i guess?). i had to check online to see what it was.

come to think of it, i dont think i bothered much with the romances in my playthroughs. the concept didn’t appeal to me, and the minute when aerisomething started to profess her love or something a couple of seconds right before a dragon fight, i gave up on them (“we might be chomped to bits so here’s all my love and devotion – i love how you decapitate goblins, my love!”). i guess that speeds up things a bit!

• Hoaxfish says:

Yea, “romance” is a bit of a red flag for me too.

Underdark not so much, since Faerun/Forgotten Realms is full of stuff just as bad. (one of the reasons I enjoyed Planescape more)

• Eddy9000 says:

Underdark is in the second one anyway.

• Vorphalack says:

Not criticising your opinion, but whats the beef with the Underdark?

• Hoaxfish says:

I’d say it’s mostly the combo with Drow… too “dark and edgy teenaged angst” as the go-to.

Granted there are good things, like Myconid, Ettercaps (the non-sexy spider people), Aboleths and Illithids… but there’s also the lovely range of “evil” versions of the normal above-ground races… even “evil under-underground dwarves” (Duergar)

• Eddy9000 says:

I hope a myconid playable race is included in DLC. I would pay like ALL my money for that.

• Lukasz says:

On my second playthrough and im in cloakwood mines at 17 hour mark (if xfire correctly indicates the time spent) and this time i tend not to read books except those which i consider relevant to the storyline…
      is there any reason to read up on shadowdale and history of the north?

so for the first time players 100 hours is easy. i wonder hwo much the whole trilogy gonna take for me (ive never beatent soa and tob so they should take longer than bg1)

8. povu says:

$20 is quite a lot for 3 characters and a standalone dungeon crawl. Because other than that, and better multiplayer support and remade cinematics, it’s barely anything more than what you can get by using the Easytutu and Widescreen mod. I’ve already played BG1 with a BG2 class in 1920×1080.

They’re not improving the art assets of the world itself so other than the UI it won’t look very different from BG2.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

Kwiat_W already made a GUI that’s almost identical to this one.

• Vorphalack says:

I’ve got two problems with BGTutu; the monster spawn rate and the class kit balancing. The monster problem really breaks the game experience. Every spawn point on every map is populated by default, and it uses monsters from BG2. You can easily run into a pair of Worgs where a lone Wolf used to be on the first map, then another pair where nothing used to be, etc. If you survive long enough, the rate of experience gain will put you on the level cap before reaching Cloakwood. The class balancing problem was less of an issue as you had more control here, but some of the imported kits were wildly imbalanced and made the game far too easy. That really killed a lot of the purpose of the port. I hope Beamdog have done some work in that area and not just copy / pasted the numbers from BG2.

• Eddy9000 says:

the blade kit on tutu in the first one is just unstoppable.

• TheWhippetLord says:

$20 is batshit imo. For that I’d want BG2 and ToB thrown in.
      I honestly don’t see what they’ve added to attract an old BG fan like me, and anyone who’s not already a fan is going to run screaming from such a dated game at that price imo.

• stkaye says:

I dunno. When this comes out it’ll be the only proper (proper. You know. PROPER) RPG in the tablet market. I think it might be a real hit on iPad/Android.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Avadon and Avernum. Two real RPGs already available on the iPad. They even have turn-based combat.

• Oasx says:

Not everyone owns the original game, knows about the mods or how to get them..

You can’t exactly remake a game and then tell people that in order to get the full experience they need to download some random mod from a thirt party website, that might or might not work on their system.

I guess i don’t understand why people are whining about paying a few dolalrs more for a full remake, instead of something that was slapped together in a hurry and that relies on other people to finish.

9. chewbaccasdad says:

I wonder if someone can enlighten me; will I have to download and install the Beamdog client to play this?

• TheWhippetLord says:

Their site claims:
      “Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition for Windows will be available as a direct download from Beamdog, with no client install necessary. “

• chewbaccasdad says:

Thank you, kind sir. That news gladdens my heart and stiffens my loins.

10. caddyB says:

Where’re the screenshots?
    Oh well, gonna buy it regardless.

• bikkebakke says:

I hardly think screenshots are of any particular use :P It will still look the same (with the exception of being able to play in higher resolution), but yea. I already pre-ordered it >_< wasn't really that expensive, especially not for a game like bg :)

11. Eddy9000 says:

Those screenshots on the website don’t look that much different to the vanilla game. I mean I’m gonna get it on my iPad because of baldurs gate on the iPad, but not being so bothered about the new content the graphical improvements are going to be the thing that really sells it for me on PC, I already have the game and tutu.

12. Dariune says:

Ive got to say this actually screams of disapointment to me.

Dont get me wrong. I wanted to see this game (or a game of this quality) made for the last 12 years. I was a big fan and am one of those irritating people who feel that RPG’s have lost quality in the last ten years.

But $20 is a lot of money for a game i already possess. The additions seem hardly worth it. A few extra companions in a game which is rich with content and an extra quest, which is just an arena, is fun but not worth that much.

I understand that they are unable to improve the graphics or change existing content but to release an existing product with additions which can mostly be found for free, to the market for $20 seems … well disapointing.

Especially as there are no screenshots to see the new UI and improvements. Not sold. Which is a shame.

13. rockman29 says:

Are the graphics improved, or is it just enhanced in other ways?

• Dariune says:

Enhanced in other ways. The character models were lost so they couldnt improve the character or monster models or animation.

• povu says:

The UI was redone and the game has support for higher screen resolutions, other than that I don’t think there are any graphical improvements over BG2. At least none that they have announced.

• vedder says:

Judging from the screenshots on the website, they somehow managed to make the graphics worse than the original. They look as if they took original backgrounds, upscaled them and applied blur.

• JFS says:

I’m pretty sure that’s actually what they did. It looks… bad. Which is a sad thing. Why couldn’t they just have an artist draw and render a few new maps, even if they looked a little different, it would still have been more attractive than this blurfest.

• f1x says:

exactly my point, I would prefer some updates on the graphics (not going 3d tho, that would be awful)
          somewhere I’ve read that they didnt had the original models/assets avaliable or something but still bullshit in my opinion

14. MasterDex says:

It’d be great if this eventually became a Baldur’s Gate Trilogy game. I love how I can combine BG1 and BG2 into one giant adventure.

…But now I see that there won’t be graphical improvements.

So can someone tell me why getting this for €20 would be better than getting both BG1 and 2 on GOG and combining both with the trilogy mod and the other already available mods that add shit-tons of stuff, improvements, bugfixes and widescreen support?

• Yosharian says:

Because you’ve already played the game with all those things? You HAVE already played all those things, right?

*slap*

• MasterDex says:

I have. I was hoping to revisit the world again with some prettier characters, backdrops, monsters and spell effects however.

15. MythArcana says:

Cash grab. *cough*

16. MistyMike says:

I have this nagging feeling that this ‘remake’ is a bit like a startup artist saying he wants to ‘improve’ the Mona Lisa a little. You know… just add some cool stuff to that boring background… maybe throw an iPad somewhere there, so that modern audiences feel that the work is still ‘relevant’….

If this new content was cut from the original release and these guys just salvaged it into a usable state an re-released it, that would be fine. But with their own stuff, it just bothers me how they feel entitled to just cram it into such an accomplished work.

• Beelzebud says:

You are aware that Beamdog consists of one of the co-founders of Bioware, and the former lead programmer of Bioware, who both actually had a huge hand in the development of the original game to begin with, right?

• MistyMike says:

Of course I wasn’t aware of that, otherwise I wouldn’t be accusing them of tampering with a classic… thanks for the heads-up.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

So what if they’re part of the original? They’re pulling a George Lucas.

17. stkaye says:

Oh, I’ll pay the $20, no problem.

Baldur’s Gate is a wonderful game, after all. Perhaps my favourite game evar. And this update already carries a certain gloss.

Sam Hulick’s on board adding new music for the added locations after all, and they’ll be integrating chattable, romanceable NPCs, and guaranteeing the game’s performance on my PC, adding adventures and interface improvements and character creation kits and… and that’s jam on the crumpet, that’s what that is.

18. Zenicetus says:

Are they charging $20 for the iPad version too? That would be way outside the norm for that market.

I was thinking of picking it up for the iPad, because I’m not really that interested in replaying the whole thing on PC, but it could be a nice distraction when traveling. Given the original’s design for a lower-res screen, it might be a good fit for the iPad too, if they get the interface right. But not at $20. There are too many other good iPad games around.

Edited to add: Okay, on the web site it says the iPad version will be $9.99 USD, so that’s a little closer to the norm. Still a bit pricey for an iPad game. I might pick it up eventually if the reviews on that platform are good.

• stkaye says:

The big difference is that you add two of the new characters as DLC at $3 each in the tablet versions. So you’ll be up to 16 bucks for the iPad/Android experience in the end.

• pakoito says:

10$, another 5$ per new character.

• Zenicetus says:

Well, that sucks. It will be interesting to see if they can get away with this pricing model on the iPad.

19. Sigh says:

I guess they decided to pursue the Call of Duty release approach of adding a smattering of new content on top of a creaking hulk of old recycled content that everyone has already purchased 3+ times and played countless hours to date.

“But the nostalgia….”

• Vorphalack says:

I think they have a more legitimate claim to port when the original wont run properly on modern OS’s without heavy tweaking. Even the best mods for the original have their own problems, so if they do a good, well balanced port it’s a job worth doing.

• Sigh says:

I perhaps should clarify my comment a bit. While I am so happy that companies like GOG (not related to this game, I know) exist and are possibly thriving, I have been less and less interested in nostalgia trips. Every time I go back to play an old classic or install some old favorite the experience just feels empty, awkward, and detrimental to my fond memories. Think of being really excited to go back to a high school reunion and “relive” the past only to find that you cant really recapture that moment that has slipped distantly into the blended fact/impression fabrication of memory since everyone has matured, grown up, and moved on.

I would rather explore new content, worlds, and mechanics to create new compelling memories. That is why I buy every *newer* game that GOG releases like the Witcher 2 and Alan Wake and all of the new independents…I want to support GOG but I have no interest in playing “Nostalgia Trip 1″ from back in the day. I am glad that they exist and function for those whom prefer to relive the same experience though. This is also why I haven’t been too keen on the kickstarter scene, the nostalgia factor seems rather parasitic and blatant there…or why I quickly lost interest in Battlefield 3 (I already played 130+ hours of it back when it was called Bad Company 2).

Admittedly this is all down to personal preference. I want the porting/kickstarter scene to exist and thrive as it represents a significant portion of our hobby’s “institutional memory” if you will, and it promotes diversity and competition. I have discovered it is just not my cup of tea anymore. It is hard to go back.

“The only good thing that came out of the past…was history.” -Rucks

• Lemming says:

I downloaded BG1 as part of the DnD Anthology deal on impulse and it ran ‘out of the box’ on my Windows 7 64bit machine. I’m sure there are problems running the game from original CD/DVD copies but digital download versions have fixed those issues it seems.

• MasterDex says:

It’s times like these I wish there was a like button on RPS. Very well put.

20. brkl says:

20 bucks isn’t much for this IMO, provided it’s good, which I suspect it isn’t.

21. mckertis says:

“fifteen battles in the Underdark”

The hell ?! Surviving the Underdark at level 10 ??
    Wait, dont tell me, level cap is now in the epic range, isnt it…oh god…

22. malkav11 says:

I thought the original Baldur’s Gate was rather weak so $20 is way too steep for a game I already own three times over (Mac version back when I was a Mac user, which originally soured me on the series until I begrudgingly tried BG2 and was blown away, PC version w/ expansion that I modded to the gills with all the BG2 improvements and was at least playable, but still underwhelming, and finally GoG, more out of a sense of completism than any real desire to own it again).

Be interested to see what they do with BG2, though.

• Toberoth says:

You thought it was rather weak, but you bought it three times? OK…

• FhnuZoag says:

With bundling, it’s remarkably easy to buy a game you don’t want multiple times these days.

• malkav11 says:

When Baldur’s Gate II turned out to be absolutely flipping amazing, I was willing to give Baldur’s Gate another shot but didn’t game on Mac anymore. And then….well, it was like $5 on GoG and even though I don’t -really- think I want to play it ever again…$5…

What I am saying is that I make bad consumer decisions.

23. abigbat says:

The terrible artwork is a very bad sign.

• Eddy9000 says:

But in keeping with the source material!

• Nick says:

the actual in game portraits (not shown there) are ok, I think

• Unaco says:

The ingame portraits are (I think, if it is them) on each character’s specific page, on the BGEE Website. They’re just as good as the original portraits.

• ffordesoon says:

So they’re terrible, then. :P

• Nick says:

I’m really failing to see what is bad about the portraits in the infinity engine games..

• Yosharian says:

Dude. It’s the fucking infinity engine. Shut the hell up.

24. ShadowTiger says:

I find their list of changes uninspiring, most were already available with mods.

BG is my favorite RPG so I will probably check it out just to see what it’s like, but I think they went in the wrong direction with their changes. Hopefully they make enough money to do something cooler next time.

25. Deano2099 says:

$20 is a good starter price. If you want to pay $10 you can wait for the inevitable sale.

The game is 14 years’ old, it’s not going to have the same ‘must play immediately on release’ factor as most games.

26. Radwulf says:

If they make a proper Linux native version with a unified cross platform mod framework then I would probably buy this version once it’s on sale, provided they don’t screw it up. Otherwise it doesn’t seem to offer anything that’s ‘enhanced’ enough to justify the ‘enhanced’ price.

27. Kevin says:

I’m going to be extremely disappointed if Dorn Il-Khan isn’t voiced by Michael Dorn.

28. pipman3000 says:

eeeeeee wild mage follower :D

29. tinter says:

To be honest, this release has really harmed what interest I had left in this. I just 100% do not believe a new character will add 4 full hours of game time; even an NPC with banters, PC-NPC talks and an extensive questline just doesn’t take 4 hours worth of time in BGII. I can’t believe its anything but inflated, and that means I don’t really believe their underdark figure either- which sounds a bit like another Durlags Tower; fun to do, perhaps, but far from essential.

Indeed, a 6 hour combat intense dungeon will either require rebalancing this and the whole trilogy or its surplus to requirements because the original already has way more XP than the XP cap allows.

All this is unfortunate because new content was the only way they could get a purchase out of me. My old CD version is still going strong (several installs later). TUTU offers not only all the engine improvements I would want, but through fantastic mods such as Sword Coast Stratagems a total overhaul of the difficulty and combat system in a way I don’t expect I could install on this.

Ultimately, these sound like promises that won’t be delivered; and while this version may be better for some (not all) people less immeressed in the infinity engine, the highly tailored modded game I can get now is almost certainly better for me.

• Nick says:

The 6 hour underdark thing is seperate and unrelated to the main game (not entirely sure of the point of it myself)

30. Xardas Kane says:

So what exactly does this offer that mods don’t? Reworked cutscenes (as if they are so many) and a character or two? I kind of miss the point here to be honest. And they STILL haven’t shown A SINGLE FREAKING SCREENSHOT from the PC version with the new reworked UI. They are 2 months away from releasing the game and they haven’t even shown what the fuss is all about! I am sorry, but color me uninterested.

Oh, and I checked out their MDK 2 remastering. Judge for yourselves:

So uuuhm, yeah, not sure I’m actually gonna get this.

31. Demiath says:

$20 is very affordable for a big game like this. If the original game is $10 (which – big fat reality check – is not “overpriced” for a sizeable semi-recent RPG classic like Baldur’s Gate) and the enhancements and porting to non-PC devices cost $10 then the deal seems even more generous.

32. c-Row says:

Remember that you are talking about a market whose customers are more than happy to pay 40 bucks each year to buy the annual iteration of Team Man Shoot and Foot To Ball.

33. Yosharian says:

Oh yeah, this is awesome! Two new characters to use in my no-magic party, and a new romanceable character… who’s a magic user… erm… I guess my party just became no-magic-except-the-cute-girl!

Can’t fucking wait for this.

I wonder if Gibberlings are going to adapt some of their mods to work with this…

34. Derk_Henderson says:

Sign me the fuck up. BG2 is still my favorite game of all time, and if all of this eventually leads to a real BG3, I would pay hundreds of dollars (as long as the quality keeps up, anyway).

Yeah, $20 may be a little steep for some people, but my ‘dollars per hour of entertainment’ value on these games currently stands at about $.05 given the 1000+ hours I plowed into the games originally, so I’m willing to bump the ratio a little.

35. MOKKA says:

Be it as it may, I still think that ‘enhancing’ a product which is already pretty close to “perfection” (in a very subjective meaning as there is no ‘objective’ perfection) and is somehow a classic title in PC gaming of the last 20 years, is a bit like some dude, who ‘knew’ Tolkien, going back to ‘enhance’ Lord of the Rings. Where’s the respect towards the creative work of the original people?
    They might be able to not ruin the game, in fact I think it’s pretty likely, but they’re still going to destroy the original experienc by adding stuff which was not intended to be in the game, when it first got made.

36. robinbloke says:

If it has Minsc and boo, I’ll play it. Nuff said.

37. J_C says:

I’m stunned that noone mentions that the screenshots look slightly blurry compared to the original with widescreen mod.

The 3 new NPCs – at least try to give us some interesting characters. Warriors and mages, great. I’d welcome a thief for example. Don’t even get me started about the portrait of the wild mage girl. Is that some kind of fanfic?
    The arena mod is a lazy way for adding new content. It isn’t even integrated into the game.
    As I said the graphics are lacking compared to the original.
    I wonder if the improvements will be the same as the ones the modders did in the last decade.
    And at a 20 dollars pricepoint? LOL
    Oh, and they are replacing the original cinematics with hand drawn animations? WTF? I’m not saying that the new ones will look bad, but the originals were perfect for the game, even if they look dated.

Sorry, I won’t touch this, I have the best version of BG already. The modded original. The only good thing this enhanced edition has is the improved multiplayer.

38. PoulWrist says:

20$ is pocket change.

39. Yosharian says:

Some miserable gits up in this thread. Jesus. No wonder no-one wants to develop for this platform.

40. int says:

I’d pay 49.99€ if every npc was voiced.

41. Berzee says:

Wizard!
    What ARE wizards? What do they do? What do they want?

42. Erithtotl says:

When I saw this I thought it might be BG II, or the complete series. But now reading that it’s jus BG I, for $20, no way.

43. ilves says:

This is cool..

Improved Multiplayer

Online multiplayer has been upgraded to include matchmaking functionality, and games can be played across multiple platforms. Adventurers on iPad, Mac, PC and Android Tablets can all play Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition together.

44. piesmagicos says:

You had me at “You must gather your party before venturing forth”

45. Froibo says:

I am a bit confused with all this focus in multiplier features. Sure me and my buddies would join a server together in the original, but that was to fuck around, not to actually experience the campaign. These sorts of games were meant for a single player immersion. The first Never Winternights was the only game of its like to get the multiplier aspect proper.