Dread Not, Firefall’s Upgraded Dreadnaught Is Here

By Nathan Grayson on July 26th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Wait, does he have dreadlocks? Oh ho ho, that's positively dreadful!

Oh thank goodness. My life is saved. I, of course, recently bet it on the assumption that more Firefall videos would drop this week, and became quite disconcerted when maniacally grinning mercenaries started showing up outside my house with calendars counting down to Friday. Happily, however, I’ve been saved by the Dreadnaught, who sounds like the cheeriest of fellows. Bask in his muscular, minigun-toting glory (read: a hail of unstoppable bullets) after the break.

OK, so who’s with me in thinking that looked like the raddest thing? I mean, a teleport shot? Followed by an actual, factual, nearly literal thunder dome that forces opponents into closer-quarters combat? And a gravity distortion ability that could – at least, in theory – be used to rain down fire from on high? That’s completely wild. Also, he has siege tanks for shoes.

While writing this, I’ve also realized that me gushing about new classes in these sorts of videos has become A Thing as of late. So, of course, I spent 45 minutes wallowing in shame, tearfully lamenting the fact that my brain’s synapses have become frozen – no longer able to form the psyonic lightning that is an original thought. Or just regular old psyonic lightning, for that matter.

But then I realized something: that’s not the case at all (I hope!). It’s just been a really great year for original class ideas. I mean, people look at games like Call of Duty and think multiplayer shooters have stagnated, but then – here in oft-overlooked PC F2P land – we have Firefall, Tribes, MechWarrior, PlanetSide 2, and tons more pumping out some brilliantly inventive ideas. So hooray! It continues to be an amazing time to be a PC gamer. Just like always. Because our hobby’s the best hobby.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. TheIronSky says:

Meh, I’m all out of puns after that last story.
    This looks like a good update.

• NightShift says:

Yep, maybe this could be the game I should play if I want to be thrown back to my Global Agenda craze.
      Or WarFRAME. Whatever. Please don’t mess this up Red 5.
      Edit: Also just noticed the last tag, yes. Yes it does.

2. brkl says:

Terrific pun, Nathan :)

• Skabooga says:

I don’t know, at the rate of pun growth in RPS’s writing, I dread we’ll eventually have articles composed of naught but these types of jokes by the end of the year.

• Mattressi says:

I thought it was dreadfall

3. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I’d love to get a shot at this. I have no luck whatsoever in the beta lottery. :[

4. CrookedLittleVein says:

Great news! It’s not for naught that the hive mind picked young Grayson.

5. Josh W says:

Interesting, I’ve been watching these videos and interpreting each of the classes as TF2 ones. I actually really like the idea of making this dude into a kind of heavy/pyro cross. I can imagine a lot of interesting battles between this guy and the speedy dude, messing him about with his spin up and range limits, but conversely, a tight area with a dreadnaught in it will probably be owned by them, with everyone else darting in and out of it, which could be pretty satisfying.

Another interesting feature of this guy is how the turret works; if it only reduces drop off, rather than increasing damage, then it will encourage him to set up in long open stretches, putting him in danger from the recon’s snipering. For short range ambushes, it’d probably be easier just to stay round a corner near a choke point and jump people. Conversely, it solves the problems pyros often have in tf2, where they can get into situations where they are just constantly outranged. At least there is the option for going hunting for some hitscan luck.