Playday: Payday’s Official Unofficial L4D1 Map Out Now

By Nathan Grayson on July 26th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Yes, um, I believe I would like to request a different doctor. No, I know I'm in a coma and this shouldn't be possible. But these guys are *really* wigging me out.

We are suddenly talking about Left 4 Dead a lot again. Could this be a sign of more substantial things to come? I doubt it, but it’s fun to hope for things – so long as you never stop hoping and are incapable of sorrow. Regardless, Payday: The Heist’s much-vaunted reproduction of Left 4 Dead’s Mercy Hospital is here to cure whatever ails you – assuming, of course, that you are made physically ill by the idea that Payday might eventually cease releasing DLC. Go download it! Or read details. These are your only options.

If you were trying to download it, you have clicked on the wrong thing. Try again – but click on a different thing this time. If you’re here for details, congratulations! Your mouse-fu is strong. Here, a reward:

“The Mercy Hospital Heist is finally here! We have collaborated with Valve to bring our beloved PAYDAY fans a completely new heist, free of charge! Set in the Mercy Hospital – made famous by Left 4 Dead – everyone’s favorite robbers are out for blood. We also have some extra candy hidden in there for those who just can’t help ending up in the hospital.”

If the regular difficulty levels won’t do it for you, don’t forget that you can play the Mercy Hospital Heist in the new OVERKILL +145 difficulty. We promise you that this one will leave you gasping for air…”

Initially, this DLC was billed as a full-on prequel to Left 4 Dead, but that turned out to be – in the words of Valve’s Chet Faliszek - ”just some over-excited marketing guys.” There’s apparently a cameo from the original Left 4 Dead crew and some easter eggs, though. Also, you get free zombie masks. I hope one of them looks like this.

, , , .

1. Didero says:

Why would they want to rob a hospital?

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

For addictive drugs they could resell or maybe for an expensive piece of equipment. I suppose there is an outside chance one might rob a hospital for materials for a dirty bomb but there are much easier ways to acquire radioactive materials and no one really wants to build a dirty bomb anyway.

• Goodtwist says:

By spewing out certain catch words you’re being tracked by Echelon ; )

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

I regularly visit the website Giant Bomb, I’ve long since stopped caring about that sort of thing.

• x1501 says:

Goodtwist is being paranoid. We’re not tracking you at all, Steve.

• Dominic White says:

A trailer earlier showed the reason for the heist being them trying to secure a virus sample – presumably something goes wrong at the end, and L4D begins.

• Didero says:

Hmm, both good reasons.
      Thanks for explaining :)

• DeathHamsterDude says:

You obviously haven’t watched Firefly. ;)

• Stense says:

Those little pots of jelly that hospitals give you at meal times are addictive. Got to get a fix somewhere.

• rapchee says:

blood bags, morphium, painkillers … i usually leave the epipens though

• SkittleDiddler says:

Hospitals always carry tons of hand sanitizer, and that shit will get you fucked up.

• mseifullah says:

You get some contextual hints throughout the heist that make it clear that the job is being pulled off for an unnamed 3rd party. One that’s willing to pay lots of money for some samples of virus-laden blood.

The heist does a great job of answering why a few set pieces appear as they do in L4D’s No Mercy campaign. Valve should really consider giving the heist its “in-cannon” stamp of approval.

2. CMaster says:

Played it last night, succeeded with a team of 4 on the 4th or 5th attempt (including some deliberate restarts)
    Best PayDay level so far I think (although combat is maybe better on Slaughter House). It’s possible to evade detection for most of the heist and actually pull off something good, while the game doesn’t make it easy for you. A little more variation in the tasks required to keep it quiet would be good, but a step in the right direction for a game thats tended to be too much like a cresendo only L4D

3. Metalfish says:

Much like the rest of the game, it’s quite hard. Especially in public games. Trying to get people to do the stealth approach is almost pointless and the punishment for going loud is pretty harsh.

4. SkittleDiddler says:

Played it yesterday and was disappointed to find that it is exactly like every other PAYDAY map: shoot cameras, trip alarm anyway, run to objective, run to camping spot, shoot wave of bad guys, run to next objective, run to next camping spot, shoot next wave of bad guys. Ad infinitum. At least it’s consistent, I guess.

I suppose there’s not much you can do to improve on a concept that’s technically limited to begin with.

• Communist Shoes says:

You might have tripped the alarm early, there’s a whole section where you dress up as doctors and play detective, listening to diagnosis’s to find out who’s infected.

• SkittleDiddler says:

That’s probably what happened, but I’m curious to know what I did to actually trip the alarm? I played through that first stage of the map three times, and the alarm tripped at the same point every time. Is it because I’m taking hostages? Is it because I took out those three cameras like the friggin’ game told me to? Is it because of something else?

What I really dislike about PAYDAY is the fact that — unless you’re willing to sit through a bunch of walkthrough guides beforehand — you have to play the same map over and over and over and over again before you get anything close to a working knowledge of how to make what the developers consider a “successful run”. I understand repetition is what makes PAYDAY tick, but that certainly does not equate to entertainment as far as I’m concerned. I can only put up with same waves of bad guys on every map before I get bored and go play something else.

• CMaster says:

The civies in the first section will try to push the panic buttons near the lift and under reception. You have to keep them from doing this.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Yeah, I thought I had been doing just that, but somehow they still manage to sneak past my guys and trigger the alarm anyway. Might have something to do with the fact that so far I’ve only been practicing the map in single-player; AI is a bit of an issue in PAYDAY.

5. GameDreamer says:

Looks interesting, to play a game from a criminals point of view instead of the heroes. It would also be nice to play with a group of friends and just rob a bank or jewelry store together.

Think that I might have to get the Payday 2.

Free CD Key