“Blood To The Sexy”: Deck 13′s Blood Knights Revealed

By Jim Rossignol on July 27th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Blood Knights! They’re like normal knights, but much blooder. That’s (I am guessing) the design philosophy behind freshly announced action-slasher Blood Knights, which is being cooked up by Jack Keane devs Deck 13. They explain that their game is “a full blooded Vampire-Action-RPG that features intense combat, tons of weapons, items as well as vampiric abilities that put players in total control over their enemies and let them feel the powers that vampires wield in the Blood Knights universe.” Not only that but it even “features a plot focusing on Jeremy, a vampire hunter who was viciously attacked and bitten during on one of his dangerous missions and is now bound by blood to the sexy, but mysterious, ‘vampiress’, Alysa.” Sexy! Jeremy!

You can see more sexy and Jeremy, below. Mm.

I feel that the art-direction of this game needs to seek other reference materials.

It’s being released “this summer”, so I guess next month, then.

, .

1. f1x says:

Reminds me of Hunted: The Demon’s Forge
    which I’m not sure if its a good thing

on the other hand it also looks more arcadeish which could be nice

the uncanny valley is strong also

• Xardas Kane says:

I prefer not to remember that game cause, you know, the same people are making Wasteland 2 right now.

• Kdansky says:

Reminded me of “Generic Action Game: The Cliché: All The Buzzwords.”

Naked women, Coop, generic button-mash-combat (let me guess, light attack, strong attack, dodge, block, plus four special moves), and so on.

• killuminati says:

Spot on m8! Plus the girl in the picture looks way to much like the iconic demonhunter from Diablo 3 :/

• Ultra Superior says:

When you have budget and talent to ship a game…. why on earth would you make it so generic ? Who are these people … Don’t they feel embarrassed by the utter lack of originality in their work ? is it that hard to hire one person with her own vision?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

They are fans. They love games. They want to be like their heroes and make games like them. Those same games.

2. Premium User Badge Mungrul says:

Surely impractical female armour designed purely for titillation must be reaching some sort of event horizon now?
    I’m seeing a lot of people noting how ridiculously stupid these designs are.

• SanguineAngel says:

I find it genuinely irritating and very immersion breaking.

So yes. I hope this is true. It does feel like there’s some groundswell there

• WhatKateDoes says:

By Zod, please let it be so! Its becoming quite the embarrassing old relative’s inappropriate joke now.

• Towercap says:

This, many times.

• AshEnke says:

I hope the game is simple enough to be played with one hand.

3. Teovald says:

Another game where the designers seem to think that men need full plate armor but the woman counterpart needs to be impractical & suicidal in order to reveal as much flesh as possible.
    I get the goal, and as a straight guy a female body is a great thing to look at, but this is just ridiculous.

It may work a little bit better with a vampire, since sex is a part of its mythology, but it is still a very poor and unimaginative design choice imho. And it is also a little bit insulting : oh you are a guy ? then look : boobies ! You like boobies right ?

• f1x says:

Yeah, of course, appealing to the male audience with boobs its getting too obvious lately, sure

But on the other hand, talking about sex appeal or not, I would like to know what is exactly the suggestion to fix the problem:
      a) Make games not sexualized (talking about sensuality/sexuality, not the war of genders), meaning nobody shows nothing of their bodies because body and sex are tabu

b) Make both female and male show same amount of body? Jumping over the fact that males and females have different sexual sensibilities

• Chris D says:

Check out the link at the end of the post for examples of how it should be done. You can depict attractive women without objectifying them. Women Fighters in Reasonable Armour should pretty much be required reading for all game developers.

Also, the extent to which plate armour slows you down is something of a myth. It’s heavy but the weight is evenly distributed. Stamina may be more of a problem but if we treated that realistically we’d pretty much have no games at all, armour or not.

• MondSemmel says:

The “standard” article on this topic (here: http://madartlab.com/2011/12/14/fantasy-armor-and-lady-bits/ ) has a few suggestions. If you don’t have much time, just check out section 5: Recommendations.

• Vorphalack says:

> ”c) Make games realistic about armors (even if the game is not pretending to be realisitc, (vampires..)? (meaning a full plated guy cant even run, only maybe walk slowly)”

That wouldn’t be realistic at all, full plate is surprisingly easy to move around in if well fitted. The entire weight of the suit is distributed around the body so as not to impair movement too much. If it was as much of a hindrance you you think, no sane fighter would have ever used it.

• SanguineAngel says:

d) maintain a decent level of fantasy where appropriate but don’t make everything about sex.

• f1x says:

Yeah I know what you are saying,
        And I know there is a problem with women being objectified in videogames, and I like the debate of course its a very legit and important one, but I didnt feel that was actually the debate here, but more like a rambling

I’m not sure why every time a sexy lady in revealing armor appears, it has to be changed,
        I mean isnt it valid depending on the type of game/genere? it must be forbidden always? 100% of the cases?
        well to be honest I still would like to see some silly armors from time to time, as much as sometimes I like to see a silly movie only for the fun of it, what I agree is that in this sort of sexy revealing designs there are ones which are better than others, this one of Blood Knights is not particulary good I must admit
        I also agree we need more strong female lead characthers and secondary characthers, I’m not a mindless “boobs guy”

My initial question is that I’m not sure where are we going with this issue about the armors, I’m not sure whats the proposal, I wanted to clarify if the issue here is sexism, bad design (subjective anyway) or realism

edit: Sanguine Angel got a point, when its too obvious its too obvious

• D3xter says:

It’s funny because the last 5+ pages are FULL of games that aren’t like this, yet they always descend like a ravenous horde on those few that are, instead of… I don’t know, ignoring them and moving on if they don’t like it?
          Because something is obviously wrong with these developers or the marketing team for designing the game like that, it is an outrage and has to be changed and all that…

I’m getting rather bored by the “argument” by now, how about instead of always complaining about the very few games with design decisions that appeal to other people you start making observations on how well all those other studios are doing instead, that’ll keep you busy all day…

Obviously there’s nothing wrong with the heroes just simply hacking and slaying away on 1000s of monsters, blood flowing like fountains, or the female character running around with two crossbows firing like 10 bolts a second (or the game in general not looking all that good), but wearing an “emphatic” outfit? The indignation, outrage! We must protest!

• Chris D says:

“I wanted to clarify if the issue here is sexism, bad design (subjective anyway) or realism”

I’m not sure anyone is too concerned about realism in a vampire game but the others are both valid issues.

From the picture at the top we have the manly man clad in full armour because presumably it’s hell out there and he needs the protection to do his manly job. On the other side we have the woman who has exposed legs, stomach, chest and arms. A hit with a weapon to pretty much any of these will finish you but she has no protection whatsoever. What’s being implied by all this?

1. Men are agents who do things, while women are expected to stand around looking pretty.

2. Ok, maybe women can do things, they just use mysterious powers of sexiness instead of armour. There’s nothing wrong with mysterious powers of sexiness in moderation, but when all women are depicted this way what it says is you need this power because it’s the only way you can hope to compete with a man. While men can also use mysterious sexiness powers, eg James Bond, it’s worth pointing out that James Bond was not expected to walk around wearing nothing but a thong to accomplish this.

I could go on about this but that’s probably enough for now. The argument about design is simpler: We’ve seen this a thousand times before. It’s dull. It’s boring. It’s cliche. It shows you don’t give a damn about creating interesting characters you’re just giving us the same one we had before with a slightly different haircut. Setting and character are an important part of the gaming experience for many, but even for those who don’t care, putting this little thought into the elements we can see doesn’t reassure me you’ve gone out of your way design interesting game mechanics either.

And, one more time, there’s a really simple solution to all of this. Give us characters that look more like these ones: http://womenfighters.tumblr.com/

• Grargh says:

On top of all this, I think that steel corset is a danger to your health even if you just stand around looking pretty. Imagine having the weight of that thing resting solely on the soft flesh above your hipbones all day, as seems to be the case here. I’d rather go to war in a bathrobe, really.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I agree that ridiculous boob armor is insulting to both sexes. Or at least I know it is to both me and my girlfriend.

And you know, not that sexiness should be the goal for female characters or anything, but girls who kick ass are sexy, regardless of what they’re wearing. True story.

4. CobraLad says:

Flying knight made my day. Also, it looks like vampire just spams everyone with spells and arrows from behind, which is not good for coop game.

5. lordcooper says:

It’d be interesting if a game with proper armour for both sexes contained a single chainmail bikini with terrible stats and tracked what percentage of players actually used it.

6. Turin Turambar says:

Being honest, I think the female titilation armor is the lest of the problems they have in the game, judging from that video.

7. Screwie says:

Almost as bad as that ridiculous armour is that once again the female character is the ranged support/rogue and the male character is the melee fighter. I’d like to see some other archetype pairings just once in a while…

• mechabuddha says:

This. As someone who enjoys ranged/support characters, I hate being gender-locked. Sometimes I feel like playing as a male, sometimes a female – why is this choice continuously made for us? This is one of the reasons I can’t get into Hunted: The Demon’s Forge.

• InternetBatman says:

Dragon Age 2 for all its many, many flaws did have Aveline on the front lines in non-stupid armor.

8. derella says:

The voice acting was pretty hilarious.

9. Groove says:

More like Boring Knights, am I right? Burnnnn.

Naming the hero Jeremy is the only unexpected part of this whole scenario.

Also, blood blood blood blood blood blood blood blood blood, WARBLOOD.

• DuddBudda says:

‘Jeremy?’
      ‘Why?’
      ‘KAJOW!’

blood knights was born

10. Premium User Badge PoulWrist says:

Wow that was bloody awful.

11. Iskariot says:

I love vampires, but this is not my thing.
    I would sell my soul for a modern version of Redemption or Bloodlines.

• Ricc says:

Looks more like a Legacy of Kain kinda vampire game to me.

• ZyloMarkIII says:

Except Legacy of Kain (barring Blood Omen 2) had a stellar plot (if confusing at times) and outstanding voice work.

12. Premium User Badge golem09 says:

Was anyone else reminded of The Last Templar? I played through that crapfest with a friend, it was hilarious.

13. LegTaste says:

Actually looks pretty good, looks like classic mindless action, a classic console game, but on the PC.

And for fucks sake, stop going on about the whole sex thing, the motivation for this anti “sexism” is actually itself sexist.

Sexy women in revealing clothes exist in real life, and guess what, massive shock i know, but they actually wear these types of clothes to attract us men, or perhaps other women if they are into that.

The only difference is the character in game was unable to make a conscious choice about her clothing on the account that she does not exist.

If you want to fuck about with millions of years of evolution and instincts, then get into genetic engineering.

Men are always going to want to see women in less or no clothing.

• Vorphalack says:

This is correct because all women dress like prostitutes and don’t play computer games.

: |

• onsamyj says:

“conscious choice”? Like, freedom and stuff? Like, you can choose to be sexy, if you want? You insane! We need stereotypes! We just gonna change them from time to time.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Sexy women in revealing clothes exist in real life

Yes but few would choose to wear armor that is crippled for the sake of sexiness. People like that do not live very long in combat.

• Premium User Badge Durkonkell says:

Okay. So:

Sexy women in revealing clothing certainly do exist in reality, but I assume they’re not professional fighters or adventurers who are wearing armour to protect themselves. I assume it’s just… Clothing.

And as a (heterosexual!) man, no. I don’t want to always see women on less or no clothing.

I can’t reply to any of your other points as I haven’t read the rest and don’t really intend to.

• Rawrian says:

Devs should look at Demon’s Souls/Dark Souls. I’m currently playing the former with a female knight, but honestly there’s not much difference when she’s wearing full plate armor (all the time).

14. onsamyj says:

So, sex is bad, but violence is good?..

• Xocrates says:

Sex is fine, treating their audience like drooling morons isn’t.

• onsamyj says:

But you can treat them as bloodthirsty maniacs.

• Xocrates says:

Not since the 90′s

And at least, violence is equal opportunity.

• onsamyj says:

And sex isn’t? You are sexist, buddy.

• Xocrates says:

*facepalm*

You do realize that the problem is that they’re treating sex like if it wasn’t equal opportunity, right?

By treating women as sex toys, they’re saying that sex is something men do, and women exist to be sexed up by men.

EDIT: And as a clarification, I meant to say that violence is portrayed as equal opportunity

• onsamyj says:

They portraying murder as something cool, and everyone okay with that, because we are adults and can distinguish game and reality, and, contrary to popular belief, don’t go on killing spree after playing some shooter. But, apparently, we are “drooling morons” when it comes to sexuality. We barely stopping ourselves from raping every woman in miniskirt, hooting and whistling at women in regular clothes, just because of some game.

Game is fantasy, it’s not real, it’s not even proper “mirror of society”, but if you want to treat it like that, when go all the way, or don’t go at all.

• pipman3000 says:

oh great this stupid argument again please excuse me while i take a shit

VVVV the shit VVVV

• pipman3000 says:

why do you care so much about violence is pretend fantasy games for babies while real people right now are being killed and enslaved in africa by the corporations that mine the materials used to manafacture your game discs and computer boxes

• onsamyj says:

Who says I care about violence? Well, I care about quality of violence, sex, and other parts of entertainment.

• Xocrates says:

So why are you fine with pointless and gratuitous sex thrills, but violence apparently needs to have “quality”?

• onsamyj says:

What with you English-speaking people and commas? “I care about quality of violence, and quality of sex, and quality of other parts of entertainment.”

• Xocrates says:

So why aren’t you acting like you do?

I care about all those things too, which is why it bothers me that the character’s sexyness feels gratuitous and out of place. If nothing else, it’s jarring.

There are sexy characters that I enjoy, but I enjoy them because their sexyness fits the setting and the characters.

If the character design was good, but the violence was pointless and gratuitous, I would complain too, but at the very least crappy violence isn’t demeaning to about half the population and pandering to the other half.

• onsamyj says:

Because I don’t have opinion about this particular game (maybe skimpy outfit is addressed in game and it’s “fits the setting and the characters”, how can I know before playing), but I have opinion about all these people who jumping on anti-sexiness wagon just ‘cuz.

• Xocrates says:

Just because you don’t see a problem, it doesn’t mean there isn’t one. The mishandling of female characters in videogames is pervasive enough that most people accept it as the status quo, which is troublesome.

• onsamyj says:

This moralfagotry is annoying and “conversation” going nowhere… Bye.

• Premium User Badge Durkonkell says:

I was once exposed to an advert for male shampoo where the product was called something like “Mega Hyper Turbo Power Hair Wash for MEN”. I dunno, I think there may have been an explosion or laser in there too. It wasn’t even satirical! I spent about 5 minutes grinding my teeth. Marketing people are actually imbeciles, I think.

• iniudan says:

Sound like a old spice commercial that doesn’t involve Mustafa, not that Mustafa wouldn’t have the explosion and laser but his dialog tend to be a lot more suave. =p

15. Zanchito says:

Right, because big burly men with phallic weapons aren’t sexist as well. And I don’t give a damn about neither of them. Actually, the only htings that have made me roll my eyes as impossible to swallow sexism in games were the character models for Gears of War amd Mai Shiranui’s jiggling boobs in King of Fighters.

16. Moraven says:

Diablo 3 did it fine. Female versions of each class go along with the type of armor they wear.

My demon hunter is actually fully clothed!

17. tlarn says:

Man in full plate armor with a massive sword in hand? Check.

Woman in clothes that barely cover her and in a role in which she plays second banana to the man? Check.

Woman is shown taking care of the man with her special powers? Check.

Man’s body language is no-nonsense-manly-man and woman’s body language is sultry-every-waking-moment? Check.

My reaction to this game is a dismissive shrugging of the shoulders. Getting very tired of sexist stereotypes, and it’s ridiculous when it’s this obvious. The game’s premise and gameplay feels entirely forgettable, on top of all that.

18. lowprices says:

Gratuitous sexiness isn’t the end of the world, but I wish it would at least be equal opportunity. Either all genders should be sexualised or none should be.

What I’m saying is that if the game will let me put the stupid metal bikini on both the man and the woman I will be happy and rate this game highly.

Unless it turns out to be shit which, judging by the video, it almost certainly will.

19. WrongThinker says:

While it’s true women in this kind of armor wouldn’t live very long at all, they will sell games to a particular audience. Ultimately, I feel that if a developer wants to limit its audience by alienating women with portrayals targeted at the most basic sexual levels of the male demographic, they shouldn’t get a ton of shit for doing so.

I feel like there’s been this huge attack lately on the way men’s brains inherently work lately simply because they don’t work the same way as a women’s. There’s nothing morally wrong with having preconceived notions of what “sexy” is and wanting that notion represented in your fantasy environments. I don’t go to the romance section in my local book store and complain about all the semi-naked, physically powerful guys on book covers who are powerless to resist the sexual allure of women, so I have a very hard time understanding why women have such a hard time with men wanting the same thing in their videogames (or other forms of media, for that matter).

You may notice a very particular phrasing I just used. I said “their videogames”. To be clear, I’m not implying that videogames are the “domain” of men or anything like that. What I’m saying is that games that depict women in a sexual manner are targeted at men. Those ARE men’s games. Game’s that depict men and women without such sexual connotation are far more likely deliberately targeted at both men and women. Those are EVERYONE’S games. This does imply that we need more games targeted directly at women, which I have no problem with and would even encourage (assuming the market is there, which I can’t speak to).

I would also like to make the point that not every man has the same fantasy or wants to see scantily clad women in their games, just like not ever woman feels offended by these trends. In fact, plenty of women love their fantasy characters to be both physically sexy and powerful. If you doubt this, feel free to observe cosplayers at any game convention. Some women will dress up as Ivy from Soul Calibur, while others will dress as Samus. Some will dress as the traditional armored Samus, some will dress as Zero Suit Samus.

The point is that a small (but not trivial) and very vocal subset of both men and women are trying very hard to enforce their gender-driven sexual beliefs on larger groups of people, both men and women, under the name of morality. Frankly, as a guy who can find a woman sexy compromising battle armor or true battle armor, I find this whole mindset incredibly hateful and myopic. I know everyone means well, but you’re all walking blindly down the first road you came to because you were told it led to the moral high ground. You should have paid attention to the street signs; you’re on the right road, but you’re going in the wrong direction.

• Xocrates says:

The problem isn’t that this kind of stuff exists, the problem is that it’s so bloody pervasive in videogames, to the point it’s actually harming the industry.

It’s only very recently that serious attempts to move away from that have started to emerge, and even then most of them fail.

• WrongThinker says:

A fair point, but my question becomes: HOW is it hurting the industry directly? In my perception, it appears that the problem it is causes is primarily the expansion of games to the female demographic. This is certainly not a GOOD thing, since expanding the market is good for business. However, what I take issue with is specifically when people scold specific examples for sticking to the established norm.

To put it another way: rather than complaining when you see something that plays into an existing market, praise those things that appeal to the market you’re a part of. When you see a game or film that has subject matter clearly not targeted at you, the only necessary condemnation is to not buy it. Perhaps you can even explain why you aren’t buying it as this could force a change in what publishers believe is marketable.

But providing such an explanation is not the same thing as condemning the creators of these games while standing on a skewed pedestal of morality.

• Xocrates says:

It’s harming the industry in the form that’s reinforcing a stereotype and ensuring an intellectual ghetto for the medium.

It’s a male dominated industry producing male orientated content, where cheap thrills are more important than meaningful interaction, and that is a problematic status quo.

Games have a huge potential, I don’t see why we should be happy with only engaging with them in the most basic of terms.

And I do support games that stray from that status quo, but I still have the right to complain about stuff I don’t like, if only so that people know that there might be a problem.

• WrongThinker says:

What stereotype is it reinforcing? That women in the dark ages fought in impractical battle armor and frequently cast powerful spells?

Aside from that, I’d have no problem with women getting into the industry and making games for women. I don’t think anyone is arguing against that (I’m certainly not); the industry can be big enough for all of us. But that’s not up to you or me, it’s up to women.

• Xocrates says:

You’re missing the point, on both counts.

The stereotype isn’t about the women, but about the kind of people that play games. i.e. male adolescents and manchildren, because those are the only audiences being targeted.

Which leads to the second point you’re missing: Women won’t get into the industry, if they have no interest in games to begin with, and they won’t have interest in games if they keep excluding them as an audience. Which in turn perpetuates the first point.

And that’s the whole bloody point: The current status quo is not only limited, it’s self perpetuating

And yes, the status quo is slowly changing, but that’s because people want it to change and are working towards it, as opposed to accept it blindly because you like it.

• WrongThinker says:

I appreciate your frustration, but your accusation of blind acceptance is a bit crass and implies that I have put no thought in to my point of view… where I have clearly demonstrated the very opposite.

I did misinterpret your point, but largely because you didn’t state it (until now).

To respond to the points you made: Your accusation of “young adolescents and man-children” is exceedingly condescending. You are doing the very thing I called out in my first post and not even noticing (or, perhaps, doing it deliberately). If I may quote myself “There’s nothing morally wrong with having preconceived notions of what “sexy” is and wanting that notion represented in your fantasy environments”. You are demonizing the thoughts and desires of others (both men AND women) simply because their beliefs are different from yours. It’s possible you have Puritan religious views, which is your right, but I do not believe it is your right to force them on others.

Secondly, your assumption that women won’t want to be a part of the industry because it currently targeted at men is exceedingly condescending to women and narrow-minded. Don’t go around assuming that women aren’t intelligent enough to see the potential if it is there. Plenty of women play and enjoy games. They aren’t being excluded by games, just certain types of games… those that directly and deliberately target men (and even there, women can still opt in if they want… and many do). That’s like saying men are excluded from the clothing market because there aren’t any men in the Victoria Secret catalog.

I warn you that your moral pedestal gets bloody wobbly when you start insulting someone who simply doesn’t share your view point, completely ignore arguments made in defense of that point of view, and insult women’s intelligence. I say good day to you.

• Xocrates says:

I never said anything negative about teens, manchildren, and preconceived notions of sexy. I’m not demonizing those things, you are.

And yes, I was generalizing, but that’s because that’s what the industry and non-gamers will do in these circumstances. They will see games advertised to a specific audience and assume that’s the only audience that plays games. That’s what I meant with reinforcing the stereotype.

And yes, women also play games, but many more could be doing so, which would attract many more to the industry.

Also, I never meant to insult you, but quite frankly the fact that you missed my point because I didn’t state it specifically only tells me that you were blind to the problem to begin with.