Speed Demonstrated: Need For Speed Most Wanted Trailer

By Richard Cobbett on July 27th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

AAAAHSHITTHISISNTASTUNTIJUSTSWERVEDTOAVOIDACATANDMYFOOTGOTCAUGHTONTHEPEDALANDTHENIACCIDENTALLYSKIDDEDINTOAPARKINGGARAGEANDNOWTODAYISAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWFUUUUUULLLLLLLL!

It’s illegal street racing time again, as Criterion revs up for the release of Need For Speed: Most Wanted. It’s about cop chases and carnage, making ridiculous jumps, and exploring the new city of Fairhaven. Ah, my Fairhaven. I hope to explore thee to to a medley of classic musical numbers, including “I’ve Grown Accustomed To This Race”, the pulse-pounding “On The Street Where Your Checkpoint Is” and of course, “Get Me To The Finish Line On Time.”

Want to take a look? We have four minutes and four seconds of video, right here, with the unfortunate name Need For Speed Most Wanted Insider – which sounds like a very unsatisfying date for all concerned. “May contain content inappropriate for children” indeed…

Going to say it: I think the cops might be over-reacting a little bit. Sure, that’s definitely dangerous driving of the “very” kind, but it’s not as if there are any people around, or the buildings are going to be affected by a little thing like a maniac driving into them.

Really, at worst you’re just making work for mechanics in most of this footage, and that seems a noble thing to do in a recession if you can afford it. Until your personal trickle-down effects involve blood on a windscreen, I say they should leave you to it, frankly. Hmmph.

, , .

1. faillord_adam says:

Please don’t make it like Burnout

• kevmscotland says:

The more they make it like burnout, the better.

• onsamyj says:

Please make it precisely like “Burnout Paradise”. With cops.

• Ushao says:

Up with that sort of thing!

• The First Door says:

No… please make it like Most Wanted. If they want to make it like Burnout Paradise, they should just make Burnout Paradise 2.

• TechnicalBen says:

It already looks exactly like this. The only difference may be free drive. Other than that, it’s a photocopy with cop cars drawn in the rear view mirror. :P

• dontnormally says:

NFS Underground 3 or GTFO.

Seriously, what happened to my favorite (read: only ever) racing RPG-ish?

• Revolve says:

It’s funny because the NFS series is really the only game left in the whole campy underground racer/tuner genre (which I assume with some real marketing would be hugely successful if released alongside or near the Fast & Furious films) while Burnout is just one of millions of the exact same type of game.

I don’t get why they would turn the NFS series into the Burnout series. What’s the point, really?

• SooSiaal says:

“while Burnout is just one of millions of the exact same type of game.”
        TBH Burnout 1 and 2 were not as good, when EA took it over they actually turned it into something good (gasp), but the Burnouts really have put this type of racing game on the map again.

• cue kalamos says:

burnout 3 was already half done when EA bought them, EA had nothing to do with it being a good game and it was one of the best games ever made if you ask me. need for speed has sucked sense underground

• malkav11 says:

Millions? Do tell, because I’ve struggled to find any other racing game that has the particular emphases that Burnout does (or the late, much lamented Crash Mode). Burnout being the only racing game franchise I have ever, repeat ever enjoyed.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

So much this. Burnout was a decent game, but the racing just paled in comparison to NFSMW. I have a bad feeling about this though, when you see the racer using takedowns on other racers in the trailer, and hitting jumps for airtime bonuses. They even have gates and billboards to smash through. That stuff is fine for Burnout, but it’s not what Most Wanted was about.

• Optimaximal says:

I remember Most Wanted actually being about using environmental take downs to slow the cops and your opponents. Or did I dream the bit where you knock a giant rolling doughnut onto your rivals? I also remember the speed cameras and the 3-tier Hospital that I went flying off many a time to about the S-bends.

All they’ve done is take it to the next level with the Autolog integration.

That said, the above video is very noisy and distracting, something neither Burnout Paradise or the previous Most Wanted were, since it detracts from the racing. I’d say it’s more on-par with Underground 2, which was so over-bloomed it was unplayable at times

• MikoSquiz says:

God, yes, please please please don’t make it like Burnout. There’s already a Burnout. It’s called Burnout.

The world desperately needs something occupying the space between Shift (adjust your rear ball joint torsion linearity for you, sir?) and Burnout (what’s a racing stripe?). That something should ideally be Need For Speed.

• Shralla says:

Lol you are way too late to be requesting something like that. Did you even watch the video?

2. SirKicksalot says:

I hope this doesn’t have more unskippable movies than gameplay, like their last NFS.

• Zelius says:

This is by Criterion, who also made the great Hot Pursuit remake. Based on that, I’m pretty hopeful.

You’re probably referring to NFS: The Run, which was made by another studio.

• db1331 says:

I just got the newest Hot Pursuit in the summer sale, and it sure does have a ton of unskippable movies. The narrator lady loves to tell me about crap I either don’t care about, or already know., when all I want to do is race.

• Zelius says:

That’s a good point, but they do get less frequent the further into the game you are.

I’m just glad it didn’t have a “story”.

• Barberetti says:

Yeah I got Hot Pursuit when it came out, and I managed about 3 hours over the space of a few days until those cut-scenes pissed me off so much I snapped the cd and threw the pieces in the bin. That’s the first time ever that a game has annoyed me that much.

I’ll be needing a playable demo of this version of Most Wanted before I part with my cash.

• Optimaximal says:

Wow, you have a) rage-issues and b) lots of disposable income if you actually broke something you paid money for because of a).

Oh, wait, were you over-dramatising for critical effect on the internet? Carry on.

• Premium User Badge Faldrath says:

And I hope it has a cockpit camera, unlike Hot Pursuit. Sigh.

• th3mute says:

Yeah, in car view would be superb – Hell, I’d happily settle for a bumper cam…

3. Moni says:

I really want to know how Criterion gets the sense of speed to work so well.

• identiti_crisis says:

FoV, mostly. Plus that chase cam is really far back and low to the ground, which helps. Oh, and motion blur: when your eyes won’t do it enough, add more!

On an unrelated note, you sure can hear the induction noise clearly from back there! :P

• Mist says:

Both this and Burnout Paradise felt really fast. I own almost no racing games and was interested in buying the latest Driver game, but all the videos made me go “wait… why is it so slow?”. Didn’t buy it for that reason (and UbiDRM etc etc, but for Steam summer sale prices I would’ve been willing to overlook that)

But yeah, this looks sweet. Thing I noticed: the roads appear to be in a horrible state? Or as if they’ve been repaired a thousand times? Roads here are a solid black surface. :/

Edit: Oh, and the use of checkpoints might make for some more interesting races against the AI. In Paradise the AI (almost) never used some of the more interesting routes (railway tracks, jumps unto the highway, shortcuts marked with the yellow gates, etc), instead using the same old boring roads to the Naval Yard. With checkpoints taking some of the tricky shortcuts might make more sense.

4. smartalco says:

I’m really hoping this is good, there hasn’t been a decent street racer in years.

• trjp says:

Since the last Most Wanted, in fact.

That was – and still is – a stone-cold classic. This will need to do FAR better than recent Criterion efforts to come even close to it.

• Crimsoneer says:

Burnout Paradise is pretty much engraved as the best arcade racer of all time in my head. If they mix that in with some NFS magic, I’ll be a happy bunny.

• trjp says:

Paradise is – to me – a sloppy bag of bolts of a thing.

The early Burnout games were top-notch arcade racers – by Burnout 3 it was turning almost into a shoot-em-up (but still a fantastic game) – but all Paradise did was add all the baggage of a sandbox including loads of tedious driving around looking for stuff – and it lost much of the focus require in earlier games IMO

Criterions other work since then has been similar – sadly…

When we’re talking arcade racers tho, NFS:MW was epic – it’s only flaw was the slightly over-zealous Police- thank god for the Bus Station eh? :)

• The First Door says:

I can’t agree more with you! I loved the Burnout games up to Paradise. Then I bought Paradise all excited and it was one of the most disappointing racing games I’ve ever played.

The open world was fun to explore around but made the racing utterly terrible. Having to look at a mini-map to work out where to go at high speed is a bad game play idea. That coupled with the lack of checkpoints meant all the races felt most or less the same.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

I think that’s true. Burnout is cool and all, but comparing to the Original Most Wanted, not even Paradise can hold a candle.

5. Pray For Death says:

What game engine is this using?

• alundra says:

Must be Frostbite 2, as for the game itself, same old same old, NFS is EA’s COD.

• shaydeeadi says:

Frostbite 2 by the looks of it, the environments have a similar ‘sheen’ to them and it looks like they blatantly lifted the minimap out of BF3 too (although that’s probably some Scaleform gubbins.)

Edit: Ninja’d

• Moni says:

Wikipedia says Chameleon, which Criterion developed for Hot Pursuit.

• Pray For Death says:

Yea I did not expect it to be Frostbite, because if it were, they’d have the FB2 logo plastered all over the trailer

• Optimaximal says:

Whilst it may not be Frostbite, EA likely shares middleware across it’s teams to save licensing costs. This may explain why the general look is very similar/gritty.

That or they’re sharing design/asset creation teams.

6. Crimsoneer says:

This looks exactly like Paradise – big world, open races, collectables, billboards, awesomeness. Hope they get the multiplayer right!

7. Namnesor says:

Unless it goes for the same ridiculous pursuit themes that the original Most Wanted had, this game is already dead to me. http://youtu.be/QBD9Lg2v7Gg

• Xardas Kane says:

Aaah yes, I am pretty sure half of my police chases were just so I could listen to that track.

8. Shooop says:

Forget it Richard, it’s EA.

9. CaspianRoach says:

Next year: NFS: Most Wanted. Again. Another one. And the year after that. And after. They’re going to just release a new Most Wanted game every year without even changing the name. Evil masterplan.

10. Xardas Kane says:

Most Wanted was quite literally the last NFS game that I just played to death, heck, the last racer I’ve played a ton, with the possible exception beind Burnout: Paradise. Man, it’s been too long… This is starting to shape up rather nicely though. i will kind of miss the over-the-top b-movie camp of the original, but I’ll manage.

On a side note, was anyone else annoyed to death by the subtitles? Having them appear literally on the farthest corners of the screen possible was just plain annoying.

11. vash47 says:

Criterion. There goes all hope. Hot Pursuit might have been the worst NFS ever made, these guys can’t make anything other than burnout. Stop ruining this series anymore, EA:

• Xardas Kane says:

What was so wrong with it? I haven’t played it THAT much, but the multiplayer seemed awesome, the tracks were fun and the sense of speed was invigorating

12. Kleppy says:

Haha, Most Wanted Insider

13. Revolve says:

Am I the only one who loved the NFS series as much for their customization as the police chases? Surely if people want to play a straight up “escape the police” game they could make a Burnout or stick with the Hot Pursuit line, but if they go and turn Most Wanted into basically that I really don’t see the point.

For me the best parts of Most Wanted were the customization and the CGI cutscenes which I couldn’t get enough of. Unfortunately I get the feeling that’s precisely what they’re going to stay away from :(

• Xardas Kane says:

Dammit, I agree. I really hope they bring back at least some level of customization. I must have spent hours pimping my rides in MW :D

• vash47 says:

Yes. This is what NFS is about.

• Premium User Badge Rublore says:

I still long for another NFS that involves driving a supercar on long, windy roads through gorgeous countryside. What it used to be about before all this tuning nonsense showed up.
        And while the latest Hot Pursuit had elements of that, the races were too short and the unskippable cutscenes were too long. Also the actual driving felt awful.

• grundus says:

I just long for a game like TDU2 but with either properly arcade or properly proper physics. I did like TDU2 though, I just wish the physics were either arcade or sim, not both yet neither.

14. Enzo says:

This video isn’t new, it’s from E3.

15. Paul says:

Ah, typical Criterion I see. Lot of flash and no substance. No actual physics, no incar view, no real enjoyment for me.
    I enjoyed even The Run more than Hot Pursuit, and this seems like Hot Pursuit 2: The City. Will give it a pass.

16. Strutter says:

day one buy for me. Love me some nfs and hot pursuit was hot shit.

17. Abbykins says:

I’d like to know who’s the genius that thought up putting random pop-ups attached to your left and right turn signals. Position, time and speed are good things to know, but when I want to know them, and found on a predicable spot on the screen. And seriously, a line with a dot terminating at your turn signal? Is the game telling me my left turn signals is in third place? How about the REST of the car?!

18. Aradalf says:

You know what I don’t understand? Why people are so happy seeing Burnout: Most Wanted. Why can’t Criterion stick to making Burnout games? They’ll be exactly the same as this game, except they won’t drastically change a long-running franchise. Same thing happened with Hot Pursuit. These latest NFS games are not NFS games.

Making a Burnout game would please those who like Burnout: Paradise as well(admittedly, I like it too), but it would have the added advantage of not unnecessarily adding a game to the NFS series that doesn’t include the core component of the NFS series: customization.

• Vinraith says:

There’s nothing core to NFS about customization. The first half dozen games in the series didn’t have it, and were better for it. The underground series is what got preoccupied with the “Fast and the Furious” street racing crap, before that NFS was about racing exotic cars instead of tweaked up Honda Civics.

All that said, I do agree that Criterion should stick to making Burnout games (which I enjoy), because making NFS games that feel just like Burnout games is pointless. Personally I’d love to see the NFS series return to the feel of something like NFS: Hot Pursuit 2, but even a proper Most Wanted sequel would be more interesting than “Burnout: Most Wanted.”

If nothing else, hopefully this one won’t be full of god-awful FMV sequences.

19. LuNatic says:

Ugh. If I wanted Burnout, I would buy Burnout. Can we get a proper NFS game please?

20. chhopsky says:

All that they need to do is remake NSF:U2 but with a simulation physics engine for driving and damage models and they can have all of my money forever. I’ve brought this up with a few other people who used to love NFS:U/2/MW and everyone agrees that a simulation reinvention of U2 would be the best freakin’ thing ever. Hopefully the new Forza open world can fill that space a little, but come on – everything about U2 was incredible except the terrible attempts for very white people at being very hip.

• chhopsky says:

WELL i watched the trailer and now i got shivers and my heart is beating faster because of NFS:MW memories, definitely buying this ! i’d forgotten how GREAT MW was

21. Khann says:

Well, I have to say the physics look pretty nice. This coming from someone who is quite serious about their sim racing.

They look nicely ‘arcade-y’ while still having weight and ‘connected-ness’. Of course, the feel is the most important part, so I’m cautiously optimistic about this one.

22. malkav11 says:

Hi, videogame naming people. Please stop naming new games exactly the same thing as previously existing games. Thank you.

• PearlChoco says:

Exactly.

I’ll be referring to this game as NFS:MW2 though.
      Just as CoD Black Ops 2 is called CoD9 in my head.

23. svick says:

For those who don’t want to try to “decipher” the alt text, it says:

AAAAH, SHIT THIS ISN’T A STUNT, I JUST SWERVED TO AVOID A CAT AND MY FOOT GOT CAUGHT ON THE PEDAL AND THEN I ACCIDENTALLY SKIDDED INTO A PARKING GARAGE AND NOW TODAY IS AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWFUUUUUULLLLLLLL.

24. Canadave says:

Does anyone else miss old-school Need for Speed Games? As in the original through Hot Pursuit 2? Once Underground came out and the series shifted tones, I’ve really lost interest in the games.

25. PearlChoco says:

“With gameplay around every corner.”

Wow, that’s alot of gameplay in this game.

26. edam says:

What I really want to see is a remake of NFS: Porsche Unleashed or even a Ferrari version. NFS:PU was a truly excellent game and an absolute highlight of the whole series.