Kickstarter Katchup – 28th July 2012

By John Walker on July 28th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

As the Kickstarter Katchup grows, I’m scanning the budget to see if I can hire a personal assistant. With 29 tabs open for projects, if Chrome crashes at this point I’m going to walk out the front door and just keep walking. Just for the sake of my sanity, I’m going to have to keep some of the entries shorter, but give them a click if it sounds like something you want to know more about. If there’s a project you’re just aghast we haven’t included, email me via my name above and I’ll take a look – but, you know, try to do it nicely.

The Rules

• Featuring a game in this list doesn’t mean we endorse it. We likely haven’t played, and as such can’t say whether it will be worth your cash. That’s your call.
  • Letting me know about a game (which you can do via my name above) doesn’t mean it will definitely be included.
  • No heavy petting.

The Winners

DIVEKICK – Adam Heart

Four days left on the clock, and this joke-turned-game beat-em-up has made a very impressive $31,687. So DIVEKICK should now definitely reach the PC.

Castle Story – Sauropod Studio

Quite a few people brought this Minecraft-inspired castle builder to our attention. But the Minecraft theme does seem to end at the blocks. This is a strategy, about building castles and then defending them against attack. It’s proving phenomenally popular, reaching its $80,000 in just five hours, and a day later already on $188,748. None can predict the Kickstarter masses.

The Losers

Skyjacker – Digitilus

Adam covered the sad failure of this one to reach its $200,000 goal during the week, so head there to find out all the details of their future plans. I’m pleased to report that their request for direct Paypal funding has already netted them nearly $10,000.

The Players

Crea – Siege Games

Goal: $15,000
Now: $9,425
Days: 10

A 2D sandbox, taking inspiration from Minecraft and Terraria, Crea brings the focus to RPG, and modding. The notion is to be able to add anything to the game you want, without needing any coding knowledge. Pre-order pledges are at $10.

Moon Intern – LarryPixel

Goal: $30,000
Now: $20,373
Days: 9

It would be a gross abuse of my power as the writer of this column to pick out particular projects and tell you to BACK THIS ONE. The notion that I would spot a game I want to play, and then artificially promote it above others would be a gross misuse of the site, and terrible journalism. So I shan’t be saying anything like, GIVE THIS YOUR MONEY, for instance, as it would damage not only my integrity, but that of RPS too. So of course it’s up to YOU, as we MUST ensure that each project is GIVEn fair billing, as THIS is at the core of our and YOUR understanding of fairness, especially where MONEY is involved.

Insurgency 2 – New World Interactive

Goal: $180,000
Now: $21,241
Days: 41

I wonder if the rest of the gaming press has just somehow missed that the Insurgency team are making a fully fledged commercial sequel. $4k has been added on in the last week, for a game I was sure everyone would fund until their banks bled. Shows what I know.

Defense Grid 2 – Hidden Path Entertainment, AMD & Razer

Goal: $250,000
Now: $163,191
Days: 17

Do you want more Defense Grid? Randy Pitchford, Jordan Weiseman, Richard Garfield, Al Lowe, David Perry, Ken Rolston, Jason VandeBerghe, Chris Taylor, and Dave Taylor do. Hidden Path seem to have a lot of friends, and a desire for quarter of a million dollars to make a sequel to the very popular tower defence game. $15 pledges will not only net you a copy of the game when it’s released, but also straight away get you a Steam code for the original. (Seemingly one you could pledge for, get, then withdraw your pledge, which is a bit odd. Don’t do that.)

Bad Planet – Red Fly Studios

Goal: $575,000
Now: $12,795
Days: 19

Turns out having the actor from Punisher isn’t enough to set a project alight. Turns out having something even approaching game footage is probably rather necessary when asking for over half a million dollars to launch a new gaming IP. Just $2,500 has been added on in the last week, making this one look incredibly unlikely to happen, even at this early stage. A Comic Con panel plug doesn’t seem to have helped any, and an update describes an awful lot of ideas, but shows none. No game, and a ludicrously high goal, doesn’t seem a great plan.

Wormhole Ventures – Deva Winblood

Goal: $16,670
Now: $379
Days: 24

Inspired by Starways and M.U.L.E., this is a space economic strategy. They’re only after a relatively small (and extremely precise) goal, which is likely a good thing, given the dubious success of previous space strategy and MULE projects on Kickstarter so far. There’s a playable alpha right now though, which is a huge boost for the project.

Detective Grimoire – SFB Games & Armor Games

Goal: $25,000
Now: $16,822
Days: 5

Some excellent news here – the nice-looking adventure game with a splendid voice cast is now including a PC version in the main funding goal. Previously taking on PC as a stretch goal seemed (to me) to send the message that it was up to tablet gamers to get it so far, then PC players to top it up. Now there’s an incentive for everyone to chip in, and give this the push it needs in its last five days.

Knock-Knock – Ice-Pick Lodge

Goal: $30,000
Now: $10,666
Days: 45

I think it’s interesting to see a studio that’s made a number of games already pitching their goal so relatively low. The creators of Pathologic, The Void, and Cargo return with yet another completely different game. As Alec mentioned this week, even the game’s development background is a deeply creepy tale of fictional weirdness. I could read through the Kickstarter to properly understand what this is, but with Pathologic I’d prefer to just start it and find out. That’s how I first met Pathologic (it was me who found it, not Quintin, ME!!!) and it’s how I want to meet all their games. Just $5 will net you a copy on release.

Day One – Pendulo

Goal: €300,000
Now: €32,716
Days: 42

Things have slowed down a lot on Pendulo’s attempt to get a new adventure funded. I’ve a suspicion that the revelation they’re only planning to make a “short” game if they reach their €300,000 goal, really wanting a ludicrous €750,000 to make a full game, hasn’t helped. They seem to be stuck around 10% of the way there, but there’s still a very long time to go.

Super Motherload – XGen Studios

Goal: $50,000
Now: $9,266
Days: 14

Soviets on Mars dig for minerals in this sequel to XGen’s puzzle game. With a story, multiplayer, and Russians on Mars.

Volgarr The Viking – Crazy Viking Studios

Goal: $18,000
Now: $15,041
Days: 26

Without even a video The mystery missing video has returned! – the promise to make a 16-bit style side-scrolling actioner has almost made its money, with four weeks left. Although frankly, the idea of a faked Megadrive cartridge containing the game on a USB stick is enough to make me want it.

Jack Houston And The Necronauts – Warbird Games

Goal: $56,000
Now: $42,346
Days: 12

The stop-motion animated point and clicker edges ever closer to success. Only another $2k tacked on this week, but it’s looking close enough to get there in the final push.

Perch – Aaron Neugebauer

Goal: $1,500
Now: $1,285
Days: 14

Only asking for fifteen hundred, it would frankly be cruel if the next two weeks didn’t see the endless upward jumper get its last two hundred bucks.

Shadowrun Online – Cliffhanger Productions

Goal: $500,000
Now: $179,748
Days: 17

It’s a huge ask, another half million for another Shadowun game, but this online MMO that will apparently interweave with the table-top game has already managed to raise a huge amount.

OURFIRG – A and B and S and A

Goal: $6,000
Now: $2,172
Days: 7

The Greek third-person adventure should really have made more than $500 in the last week. I think it looks intriguing.

Kaiju Comba – Sunstone Games

Goal: $350,000
Now: $27,640
Days: 4

As I mentioned last week, Simon Strange has already acknowledged that the project was going to fail, with new plans already in place for alternative funding.

Jetpack 2 – Adept Software

Goal: $10,000
Now: $7,670
Days: 42

Adding another thousand on this week, with eight million years to go on the project, we’ll definitely be seeing a belated sequel to Jetpack receive its funding.

Magrunner: Dark Pulse – 3AM Games

Goal: €100,000
Now: €92,081
Days: 21

This is also looking inevitable to get to its substantial goal. A first-person puzzler, looking for funding to add a multiplayer mode for its magnetic polarity based game.

Star Command – War Balloon

Goal: $100,000
Now: $86,219
Days: 11

While some have expressed consternation about the delayed release of the iOS version of this game, the Kickstarter page is pretty clear on all that. This is funding (and rather a lot of it) to create a definitive version for PC. Looking halfway between Startopia and Star Trek, it’s clearly got a lot of appeal, and needs only another $14,000 in the next week and a half to get there.

Bad Dudes 2 – Pinstripe Games

Goal: $80,000
Now: $5,433
Days: 11

Things aren’t looking quite so hot for this attempt to create an official sequel to the 1988 arcade classic. A couple of grand have been raised this week, but they’re still just a fraction of the way there.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Binman88 says:

So if the DG2 Kickstarter reaches its goal, we only actually get an 8 level expansion for the first game? What? Is that not a bit weird? Am I missing something obvious?

• Kaira- says:

Yeah, it’s highly strange to call it “DG2 Kickstarter” when they want 1,000,000$ to actually make the sequel instead of the 250,000$ goal.

• Binman88 says:

Right. I feel like they’re misusing the idea of stretch goals, or at least not framing the Kickstarter the right way.

• Cross says:

You got that wrong, gents. They say DG2 gets made if they just hit the $250,000. But the further they stretch it, the quicker they hit the further milestones.

• AngoraFish says:

They don’t guarantee that DG2 will get made. They guarantee that if it ever gets made then you’ll get DG2. Problem is, they have already said they need $1 million to make the full game, yet the only significant strategy they have for making up the difference is picking up loose change from the mini-expansion. Since they’ve already said that they made nothing out of the original (including multiple expansions), the entire funding model is highly dubious and rightly being questioned by many kickstarters. The fact that they amended their offer to give donors DG2 if the full game ever gets made only after people started complaining is another good reason to stay the hell away from this one.

• AlienMind says:

It’s actually consistent this is recommended by a man without principles (first he says steam is oppressing (http://www.golem.de/1010/78491.html) and then he forces that software down on us on his next game (duke nukem forever))

• nautsch says:

Read the description of the first reward tier. It says there, that you WILL get DG2. Just a bit later, if it is not funded from the Kickstarter.

• Binman88 says:

Still a bit vague though, isn’t it? At the 250k goal, you’re only funding the expansion for DG1 and just putting your foot in the door for a free copy of DG2 if they get funding through some other means and manage to complete the game. That’s not really what I’d call “kick-starting” DG2. I think they should have named it differently is all.

Hope it succeeds though. I really enjoyed DG1.

• LTK says:

It’s not weird, it’s brilliantly cunning. They had the idea of rewarding pledgers not just with the game when it is eventually completed, but also once the kickstarter succeeds, and even when you pledge to the kickstarter while it is running. So the first reward tier actually pays off three times: The first time is when you pledge, the second time is when the kickstarter reaches its goal, and the third time is when Defense Grid 2 is actually completed.

Add the Early Bird and First Week reward tiers that encourage people to pledge early in order to ‘save money’, the licensed hardware rewards, and you’ve got a recipe for a sure-fire Kickstarter success. Credit where credit is due; the marketing people behind this project are definitely earning their pay.

• AngoraFish says:

So brilliantly cunning that funding has been stalled for the last week, leaving the odds 50/50 at best for them to hit even the lowest 8-map mini expansion funding goal. If any marketing consultants were responsible for this balls-up I hope the company asks for their money back. Good luck anyone who wants to tip money into this ‘flexible funding’ disaster – from my perspective it looks like you’ll be waiting a good number of years before you see any significant return on your donation, if ever.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Given that their reason for having the kickstarter is their gross inability to properly account the money they made from DG1 it’s not surprising, is it?

• abandonhope says:

I’m all for sales. However, for Kickstarters, I believe that limited, near-entry level tiers devalue the other lower level tiers. There’s often a stated or implied value to those tiers–namely, that you’re getting the early-adopter’s inside deal for helping to fund the game. Landing on a page to find that 500 people got a better deal than you has got to be off-putting for a lot of people. This tactic certainly didn’t do Realm Explorer any favors.

I thought the DG2′s Kickstarter model was odd, but not totally unreasonable. However, for a somewhat risky project my max would have been $15-20. Having never played DG, I found the first tier totally unappealing as it did not contain the DLC. I didn’t want to spend $15 only to find that I liked the game and wanted the additional content to the tune of nine more dollars. In the end I just got DG complete for four bucks on Steam, which I have to say was somewhat bizarre to find on sale right in the midst of a Kickstarter campaign leveraging a free copy as a benefit to potential backers.

If I can manage to squeeze some DG playtime in between now and the end of the funding period, I still have the option to pledge for the first tier and not feel as though I’ve missed out on a deal (better deal by a dollar, in fact). But this marketing crack team you’re talking about, they managed to combine a lot of little factors that really turned me off. It did lead me to buy the game, so there’s that, but I did that rather than pledge, so there’s still also that.

Lesson of the day: the majority of a project’s income usually comes from the first couple of tiers; don’t instantly make them seem like shittier deals by having a sold-out tier permanently wedged between them yelling, “For $5 more you could have had SO much more… and if you’d gotten here sooner you could have had all this great shit for $10 less.” I’m no marketing expert, but I’m guessing that not leaving an expired sale price tag on an item that has reverted to its regular price is marketing 101.

2. sinister agent says:

What about my kickstarter for the noble aim of getting me trashed? It’s never on here, but every week I remind you, John. Every week. Why do you hate games?

3. Choca says:

Erm, I am most certain a gameplay video of Volgarr is what made me help fund it but I can’t remember where the hell I saw it. It looked pretty good btw.

EDIT : Apparently there was a video on the Kickstarter page for Volgarr (their FAQ talks about it) but it has been removed for some reason. Not a smart move in my opinion.

• Zauron says:

Woah woah woah! WHAT?!? We’ve had the video there from the start and its still there plain as day from what I see. Our stats show its been viewed 12,039 times. It looks removed to you?!? What in the world is going on? Are the rest of you also seeing no video? Its an important part of our page, it shows footage of the game and talks about the features in depth. This is quite upsetting to me.

I don’t understand why it would look that way but if any of the rest of you are experiencing this please consider sending a message to the people at Kickstarter to find out why its being blocked for some viewers, perhaps it is blocking certain IP address ranges?

In the meantime, here’s a copy of it I posted on YouTube:

• Zauron says:

John says the video is back so I guess it must have just been a weird temporary glitch on the kickstarter server. Whew! Sorry for freaking out a bit there.

4. D3xter says:

That Castle Story thingie looks mighty fine, I’ve heard about it earlier today, at least watch their Trailer/Gameplay sequences :P

It’s like a mix between Stronghold, Lemmings and Minecraft.

• AngoraFish says:

Best project to make it onto kickstarter, ever.

We’ve had virtually every other genre resurrected, it’s about time we started seeing a god-game or twelve.

• Rivensteel says:

It looks really great, and it looks like they’ve made good progress since their initial video. The game that it reminds me most strongly of is a graphical, accessible, and vastly simplified Dwarf Fortress. if someone were to mod Castle Story to become a full mirror of DF… *shivers*

• Bobka says:

It looks like a medley of most of my favorite genres, and I like the almost Warcraft 3-style art to boot. I’m definitely pledging… as soon as my replacement credit card comes in the mail. Terrible time to lose your wallet.

5. sinister agent says:

Star Command is one I’ve basically skipped right over until now, mainly due to the painfully generic name. But it looks like exactly the sort of game I’ve been wanting to play for years – I’d have made it myself if I weren’t shit at coding. I hope the crew and their personalities are a big part of it. Love me some management games with a bit of humour.

• Choca says:

Yeah I’m hoping this one gets done, I’ve backed the PC port since I have no interest in playing on my phone or tablet.

6. LTK says:

John, you switched the ‘Goal’ and ‘Now’ amounts for Kaiju Combat.

Knock-Knock is cheap enough that I’ll gladly pledge $5 for a copy. I’d be pretty surprised if they didn’t succeed.

Say, what would you think of listing the pledge height required for a copy of the game with each kickstarter? Perch is practically giving them away for a dollar, but Kaiju Combat is asking $20 for their pre-order pledge. It could be nice to know which is worthwhile to back if you’re only interested in the game itself.

7. GoodKnight says:

If your thinking about Castle Story you should also try Gnomoria
    Here is a really long link to there site:

And here is the same link only shorter:

Why? because I can!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Did they deliberately pick a name that sounds like a disease?

8. YogSo says:

John, I think you should take a closer look at the rewards text of Ice-Pick Lodge’s project:

“Pledge 5$ or more: Thanks for your support! You will get a free digital copy (PC or Mac) of the game at half price.”

I noticed that the other day, when Alec wrote about it. It’s a quite confusing statement, so maybe you should ask them what the reward really is for the lower tier.

Also, about that comment of “predicting the Kickstarter masses” relating to Castle Story, I’m sure at least part of its success is because you guys wrote about it some time ago.

• LTK says:

Yeah, that does look confusing. I think if you remove the bolded text, it says what it’s supposed to. The $5 is already half-price, and with a $5 pledge, you receive a ‘free’ copy of the game, where ‘free’ is valued at a pledge of $5. Although we should ask about it just to be sure.

• yhancik says:

It sounds to me like you get a free copy of the game, for only 5$, when the full price will actually be 10$.

I’m not sure what else you think they might mean. If they meant “get the game at half the price”, why would they have included the word “free”?

• sinister agent says:

But that makes no sense. It can’t be a free copy if it’s for a fiver. A free copy isn’t for anything. It’s free.

• yhancik says:

You have a point. Still, to me, you’re only throwing money at a developer so they can develop a project. The game you receive is actually a bonus, that you receive, for no additional cost, to thank you for your support.
          Although in practice you’re indeed buying the game.

• sinister agent says:

Oh, I’m not saying there’d be a problem if it’s just a discount they offer rather than a free copy. That’s fine, it’s their game, and no skin off my nose either way. But the wording needs clarification is all. Probably just an oversight, it’s easily done.

• John Walker says:

Clearly none of you played Pathologic.

• sinister agent says:

That depends. Does going through the game with a notepad, writing “whaaat” every two minutes, count as “playing”? Because if so, I played the crap out of Pathologic.

• mckertis says:

” It can’t be a free copy if it’s for a fiver.”

Look, it’s really not a hard concept : you give them money – and then you get a copy absolutely free.

• The Random One says:

Yeah. You give them five monies, as an investor, which goes into the game and presumably is spent on new light fixture props for preview videos. Then they give you a game when it comes out for free. It’s an offer that costs you half its launch price.

I agree it’s confusing; glad they cleared it up, as the comments below show. Maybe they should add that to their curiously empty FAQ?

• YogSo says:

“If they meant “get the game at half the price”, why would they have included the word “free”?”

confuse

1 make (someone) bewildered or perplexed.

2 make (something) less easy to understand.

• LTK says:

@LTK – you are right, Unfortunatelly we cant change the pledge text after launch. You’ll get a digital copy of the game. No need to pay afterwards.

From the Kickstarter comments. See, nothing to worry about!

9. SpakAttack says:

Please continue to do the Kickstarter katchup! I know it takes a lot of work, but it’s really good.

• AlienMind says:

+1 for your differentiated view through all that marketing-bs.

10. Juxtapox says:

Yes. I’d love to fund another pixel game.

No, I wouldn’t.

• Juxtapox says:

Hm, no wait. I’d love to fund another sandbox game.

No, I wouldn’t.

Dat saturation.

• phlebas says:

I take your point. But unless the aesthetic itself is enough to put you off a game completely it’s worth bothering to watch the video for Moon Intern – it may look a bit like a remake of Monuments of Mars or something, but there’s a fair amount of clever stuff underlying the pixelly platform action. Not just a retro thing.

11. Jimbo says:

Some heavy petting?

12. lyons says:

I would say Castle story is closer to Castles than minecraft.

• TedDahlberg says:

I used to love that game. I was a bit crap at it as I recall (had barely started learning English when I played it, for one thing), but it was fun nonetheless.

13. yhancik says:

The Ice-Pick Lodge project is the first one I see offering a PayPal alternative too… maybe I missed others, but it’s nice, I could finally get into this whole Kickstarterish thing!

• malkav11 says:

Most of the major game Kickstarters have offered a Paypal alternative, if not necessarily immediately upon launching the project.

14. Zeewolf says:

“I’m pleased to report that their request for direct Paypal funding has already netted them nearly $10,000.”

Isn’t that essentially the same thing as flexible funding, though?

• LTK says:

Indeed, but in their case it’s not happening under the guise of a crowdfunding project that may or may not net them enough funds to complete the game. It’s now basically a donation with the added promise of rewards previously featured on Kickstarter.

15. Anthile says:

Not exactly PC gaming or even videogame related but still might be interesting to some folks: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/999790007/trial-of-the-clone-a-choosable-path-gamebook-by-za?ref=card

16. Jimbo says:

Just noticed Pirates! and Pirates! Gold got released on GOG. *hyperventilates*

17. silverhammermba says:

I loved Jetpack as a kid! Jetpack 2 looks cool, but damn are those “high res graphics” terrible. A lot of developers don’t seem to understand that high res is not the same as good looking.

• Llewyn says:

“If this project gets funded, I’ll be able to keep working full time on the project. I’ll use the money to pay an artist and level enhancers to give the game more polish.”

Taken from text of said project.

18. Stomatopodal Pride says:

I thought that Kickstarter only allowed US companies. Ice-Pick Lodge is russian; how does that work out?

19. Jenks says:

Out of curiosity, why was Legacy of the Last refuge cut from the roster this week?

20. zeekthegeek says:

Bad Dudes was already a sequel, the follow up to Two Crude Dudes for the Genesis.

21. Dizzard says:

There’s something about Star Command I just can’t warm too. It seems like it would be a perfect game for me….and yet something feels very off. I guess it’s probably because it started on a mobile platform there’s that lingering worry that it isn’t going to have depth.

22. The Random One says:

I feel a strange compulsion to back Moon Intern.

Which considering I saw the kickstarter last week and thought it was cool and decided to pledge if it looked like it would fall a bit short of reaching its goal is actually not strange at all.

23. El_Emmental says:

Insurgency (the mod) was very popular for a few months, sure.

Reasons why Insurgency 2 is getting the cold shoulder:

1) It remained popular among a certain type of players only, and these people weren’t really the kind of players to pay attention to Kickstarters projects nor fund one.

All the clans I found playing Insurgency after the first few months (during which novelty attracts new players) were mainly playing the Battlefield/Call of Duty/Counter-Strike: Source games. The playerbase also had a noticeable amount of cheaters.

They weren’t really fans of what is usually called the “tactical-shooter” genre (such as R6, SWAT or mods like Project Reality or Hostile Intent – I know I’m forgetting many others), while the Insurgency gameplay wasn’t really slow-paced. It wasn’t really on the “realistic” style neither, I haven’t seen much ArmA players staying on Insurgency.

2) The game had its flaw too, beside the few bugs/glitches, one problem remained (and was never fixed as far as I know, only planned for the “next” big update): the draw distance could be tweaked to shoot at enemies not being able to see you, and was actually shorter in front of you (so looking away at 90 degree to spot targets was common).

The main reason of that shortened draw distance was the amount of complains by players not being able to get a decent framerate: they could run a Source mod, but not wide maps. The devteam refused to either lose these players or scrap these (credible/realistic) maps, and ended up with a flawed gameplay.

3) The devteam changed overtime, and if I’m not mistaking it with another mod, had some trouble over who “owned” the mod and its name. It’s making harder for everyone to know if the sequel is “really” a sequel or just a vague project by a small part of the devteam (who made 2 maps, 5 sounds and 3 models of the game).

4) The way the devteam hide and handled the “backdoor” situation.
    After some people reported devs kicking people without even having any admin rights on these private servers, and further investigations (who apparently revealed a “backdoor” in the code), and a few deleted threads asking for answers from the devs… they admitted leaving hidden accesses to some rcon commands (including kicking a player), for debugging and administrating (on admin-less servers) purposes. Such accesses were removed in the next update, but the damage was done: what the devs were still hiding from us ?

So we have a mod falling between two stools, CoD-like frantic action and the slow-paced tactical-shooter setting, with an undefined devteam you can’t really trust that much, asking 180k dollars to make a sequel.

In the past, when facing a difficult dilemma (keeping long maps or low-end rigs), they haven’t made a choice and crippled the whole game.

When they’ll have to choose between a CoD-like action (= short but strong success) and a tactical-shooter gameplay (= long but slow success), they will probably refuse to make a choice (once again) and disappoint both audiences.

This is why (in my opinion) the kickstarter only got 20k dollars of the 180k it’s asking, and will barely reach 100k (lucky) or 50k (unlucky).

For a little bit of comparison, Tripwire Interactive told its core fans (of Red Orchestra 1) that RO2 will basically be “RO1, with all the improvements made possible by the Unreal Engine 3″, and later told them that the whole “It’s a Hardcore WW2 FPS for the elite players !” PR was just to trick the CoD audience.

When the game was released, they felt betrayed, waited a few month and finally left. Six months later, the playerbase was dead, with servers filled with bots. For some reason, they finally made the Classic mode (almost what the RO1 fans wanted) and approximately 500 people (= 200 currently playing on busy nights) came back.

But the vast majority of those who bought RO2, thinking it would be “RO1 in UE3″, never came back and vowed to never be fooled again. Meanwhile, Insurgency 2 is not showing any sign of not trying to pull the same trick again.

• baby snot says:

Thanks for this info. I still play the original Source mod occasionally. In fact I just reinstalled to while away a few hours today. This would probably be the first KS project I’d chip in for if I could find reliable info on who is behind it. Might spend the afternoon investigating.

• AlienMind says:

My reason was DRM (steam).

• El_Emmental says:

Hm… so what kind of copy protection would you like ?

Because if it’s DRM-less, with a fanbase mainly made of young adolescents playing CoD/BF/CS:S, I don’t think they’ll make much sales AND the myriad of cheaters will inevitably come back and stay: without any cost to get a new account, they’ll get a free pass to use hacks. Banning them will only result in spending 10 minutes to create a new account.

Now, do you know many DRM system easily available for free (=no thousands of dollars to pay immediately) to developers ? Insurgency 2 (if it ever happens) will very likely use Steam master servers for its server browser, using Steam DRM (rather than a different DRM they don’t even know how it works) is kinda logical.

Also, to play Insurgency you had to be connected on Steam, so it already was the “Steam DRM”.

But you can be against Steam or any kind of DRM, it’s your choice and I’m happy to see you’re able to express it freely. You’re just missing out some great games and fighting the wrong fight (in my opinion).

• AlienMind says:

Well, Unreal Tournament came out without DRM and was one of the most sold titles. Partly because it could be shared a LAN parties and people saw what an amazing game it was and bought it. I bite the DRM-Bullet sometimes (GW2, BC2,…), as long it has not a big shop system attached with multiple games on it. They can’t monitor you as easily with that and can’t oppress your opinions on their forum, because all they can do is take away that one game, and not all your games. In the case at hand, they could bring me to back their game if they release a special DRM-free LAN-capable version like Carmageddon:Reincarnation promised.

As for cheaters, that is a whole different area and was fought by servers in “pure” mode with “anti-tcc” (checksumming client files) and good admins. Today, they could use “Punkbuster” which will keep one banned even if he made a new account. From what I saw, I don’t believe Steam’s measures are in any way or form better. On the contrary, It strikes me big games give actually less control to the admins (disable spectating, demo-recording,..) to quickly sell the next game in the pipeline.

24. Bluefox says:

Another favorite of mine is Townseed. It’s through 8-Bit Funding rather than Kickstarter, but it looks to be the same basic rules regardless.

Rough summary: you start off as a sole survivor of a shipwreck, washed up on an island. You build a city from the ground up, attract migrants, and build an even bigger city to house them all. Elements of this remind me of Dwarf Fortress, though it’s probably not as complex

The program (which you can download from the Townseed website) is in its very early stages, but it looks promising. There are only three days left to help this one reach it’s goal of $8000; it’s at $6000 now.

25. frightlever says:

“So DIVEKICK should now definitely reach the PC.”

I think that’s a major stretch, given the nature of the Divekick project. You really need to apply journalistic principles to what you write on here.

• Jay says:

So I went over to the Divekick page to see what you were referring to, and they’ve cancelled their successful kickstarter, stating that they saw it as a “last resort” that they didn’t need anymore now they’ve been saved by some kindly publisher.

I can’t imagine how they think that’s going to go over with the fairly hardcore bunch that drummed up enough money and interest to get them on that publisher’s radar, never mind the whole “last resort” mentality being so disrespectful of those who chose to go the crowdfunding route to develop projects on their own terms.

Basically they seem to be doing a bang-up job of pissing off more or less everyone. At the very least, if things don’t do according to plan with their publisher, they’ve sunk any chance they had of trying the KS route again.

26. dwinblood says:

Thank you for listing our game Wormhole Ventures in the mix. While our campaign is going really slowly we are thankful to those of you that listed us out there on the web. Hopefully, it will pick up in the future.

We are working furiously on some new features and functionality that we hope to be able to show off before the Kickstarter is over.

Also, for those of you mentioning Castle Story. I backed that project as well. It looks pretty interesting.