Large And In Charge (Of Lasers): Tera’s Argon Queen

By Nathan Grayson on July 28th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

We strike you down, evil queen, because you stand for subjugation, treachery, and being really fucking creepy-looking.

As an American born and raised, I naturally fear two things: monarchy and giants. Watching the trailer for Tera’s next big update, then, was quite an emotional journey for me, because it featured both in one larger-than-life, laser-firing package. Sorry, god, this queen doesn’t need saving. But she’ll totally beat you up. And your dad, too, if you don’t watch it. If, however, the very sight of that thing makes the boiling warrior blood drain from your veins as quickly as it does mine, there’s also the long-awaited introduction of PVP battlegrounds, some new skills, and raid content. Jump beyond our True Action Break for a rather impressive-looking trailer.

Tera’s fast-as-lightning brand of non-kung-fu fighting is, of course, easily the MMO’s strongest selling point, so an official place of friendly and sportsmanlike murdering times is much appreciated. I’m less sure about the raids, meanwhile, if only because Tera’s regular instances are really, really bland. I mean, the boss fights are great, but everything in between prompts Z’s to emerge from my head – which is a very painful process indeed.

Speaking of, there are also a few new dungeons – one of which, Manaya’s Core, includes the horrifying laser queen. Sirjuka Gallery, Argon Corpus, and the rest of the new content, meanwhile, will be getting a slow roll-out of details in the coming weeks. Why not now, you ask? Well, I didn’t want to saying anything because I thought it’d make things weird, but it’s your fault. Entirely. And you should feel really bad about it. Now apologize.

, , .

1. Danny252 says:

She seems like a fairly noble lady, but it might be a bit difficult to get a reaction out of her.

• Muzman says:

Sir, you are a gas

• SuperNashwanPower says:

She can provide a protective atmosphere for my lightbulbs any day of the week.

Not a pun, I just wanted to show how clever I was that I got the joke.

• Wreckdum says:

Using Wikipedia for your example doesn’t count.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Chemistry class at school old boy. You probably only remember acetone though, as it helped removing your nail polish.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Whoah. Things are getting quite heated around here. Can someone come and diffuse the situation?

• Metalfish says:

Yes, that would be ideal. We wouldn’t want anyone getting in a state about it. That would be a formula for disaster. He was only trying to get a reaction anyway. Ether that or he’s just being noxious.

• Skabooga says:

Here I was thinking I would be the first to make such an elemental pun, only to scroll down and see that my opportunity was – Arrrrr! – gone.

2. noom says:

I cannot remember if I even knew what Tera was before now, but holy christ do I love that big freaky laser queen.

El_MUERkO says:

Whenever I read about Tera I’m distracted by Bluehole, “Blue… hole tehehe tehehehe” is usually how it goes.

4. Cam says:

That’s a huge Witch!

5. Totally heterosexual says:

Hot damn. Tera turned me off first with lil girls in miniskirts and nonsensible armour design.

But then they bring along a big blue milf queen. Hell, Im gonna play just to get some screenshots of her.

• PleasingFungus says:

burn the internet

the experiment is over; it’s not worth it

goodnight, everyone

• Totally heterosexual says:

Im sorry mister. Do you have problems with big blue virtual milf queens?

Cause if you do, our friendship can no longer flourish.

6. Lucretious says:

Looks like a cool boss, with the mechanized stuff and the scary face thing. But somebody on their team needs to figure out how boobs work.

• Lucretious says:

hint: they’re not gravity defying water balloons

edit: also armor and clothes, all those female avatars need them

• Doddler says:

About the female armor clothes… I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but half the male characters have less clothing than the females, which is a rather impressive accomplishment.

• Ringwraith says:

You can’t really fault them if they treat both genders more or less equally in the wardrobe department.
          Although each race does have its own style, some less material-intensive than others, although there tends to be at least some practical stuff to have, and you can remodel the appearance to look like something else.

7. Kevin says:

For those with a passion for the… erm… vertically endowed ladies, Tera before this update had its fair share of them (note: the race the player is playing in this video is among the TALLER ones you can play).

Then there’s this:

8. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Hexagons. It’s always hexagons. That is one awesome giant laser monster queen though.

• Ringwraith says:

More efficient than squares!
      (They also tessellate, which is important to the effect they want to produce).

9. Dominic White says:

That’s an impressive-looking boss. Pity the time investment to get to it would be enormous. Bring on Phantasy Star Online 2. It only took a few days of play to get to the spectacular ‘final form’ of the end boss in PSO1, so hopefully that’ll be repeated for the sequel.

Going into that fight blind, for the first time, was amazing and terrifying.

• Rubyace says:

Few days? I played PSO 1 on my gamecube whole summer when it came out and I am still on very hard. Or is the leveling faster online?

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

iirc, the trade-off was that online had more and tougher enemies but gave more experience. so the levelling was faster, provided you could handle the dangers.

10. Hmm-Hmm. says:

The Lawnmower Man’s ex-girlfriend.

11. Zimdictive says:

But not plutocracy and monopoly?

12. frightlever says:

“As an American born and raised, I naturally fear two things:”

Socialism and actual freedom.

Is there a prize for guessing the real answers?

13. Tei says:

I like monsters like this, except wen are animated at 20 FPS and have a collision mesh that is a big huge box.

Nothing breaks inmersion faster that being able to walk trought bodyparts of a giant mob with jerky animations.

14. bill says:

Awww.. go on with you… the queen is lovely..

15. GallonOfAlan says: