Rangers, Princesses, Spies, Aliens: Indie Gala 7

By Adam Smith on July 30th, 2012 at 3:30 pm.

I don’t think I said ‘bundle’ more than once a year before Humble got fused to the front of the word and started the never before known phenomenon of selling similar things in conjunction with one another. Indie Gala 7 contains Rig’n’Roll, Space Rangers and Reign: Conflict of Nations, with a fourth game added next week, but paying over the average also adds Death to Spies, Death to Spies: Moment of Truth, King’s Bounty: Armored Princess and UFO: Afterlight. Given that the average is currently $6.92, that seems worthwhile for anyone interested in Armored Princess. Consider the rest bonuses perhaps? I don’t get on with those UFO games and I haven’t actually played the first Space Rangers so all I know is that it’s not the second, which is one of the best things money can buy.

, , , , , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. frightlever says:

UFO:Afterlight is okay. Actually managed to finish it.

• Memph says:

I picked it up on a whim for Afterlight, after trying (and failing) to get into X-COM: UFO Defense. I loved the premise, but it’s rather clunky now to say the least. Booted up expecting a shoddy knockoff and I’ve been utterly hooked – playing it last night ’til the sun came up. The repeato-voicing in the menus can get a bit grating and it doesn’t work with steam overlay, but those are my only, minor complaints.

Anyone know if UFO: Extra-Terrestrials plays like these ones? I’m now inclined to snap up Aftermath/Shock, but that other one appears to be unrelated from the series, despite sharing the title.

• jalf says:

Extraterrestrials has nothing to do with this series. (And is, as I recall, a really truly terrible X-Com knockoff)

Afterlight was surprisingly lovely, yeah, Aftershock was interesting, and Aftermath was, eh… pretty terrible, IMO.

Probably the only series I can think of where the games got successively better. Afterlight and Aftershock are definitely worth checking out IMO.

You’re definitely right about the games being a bit clunky though.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

UFO: Extraterrestrials is actually the unrelated game of the three, different dev and publisher, though it looks of a similar style. I haven’t gotten to Afterlight yet but I really liked Aftermath a lot when I picked it up years ago. It’s not perfect and probably an average game at best but I still thought it was worth the time/money.

• TheWhippetLord says:

Extraterrestrials is awful – I found it bar far the worst UFO-style game out there, including the freeware ones. Clunky gameplay outshone only by the terrible graphics.

I found UFO:Aftermath etc pretty mediocre at best, but at least they feel like commercial games, although with clumsy controls and mediocre graphics. I still wouldn’t reccomend that trilogy to anyone I liked though, even at sale prices. They go too far into the horror side of things for my tastes, could give a better experience to someone who doesn’t mind the walking piles of corpses thing.

My advice is to watch the upcoming Xenonauts and the Firaxis XCOM. There’s nothing on the market at the moment that’s worthy of an XCOM fan in my opinion.

• TheWhippetLord says:

Ye gods, they’re doing a sequel to UFO:ET. Forgot about that. Q IV 2012 apparently. I guess it can’t be much worse than the first one.

amishmonster says:

UFO Extraterrestrial (Gold version is on Steam, that’s what I have) is actually my favorite non-original-X-COM. It’s not perfect, but I much prefer it to the UFO:Afternoun series. It’s pretty close to the original, though with a lot more difficulty options. I’d highly recommend it if Xenonauts and the Firaxis XCOM weren’t coming out so soon; as it is, you’d probably want to wait for those.

2. CKScientist says:

The first of those UFO games, Aftermath, was the best, as it was set on Earth. Afterlight was all about Mars colonization.

It was still pretty fun, though. Pausable realtime can be neat when it’s done well.

3. BlackeyeVuk says:

Also Space Rangers is pretty much awesome game. Underrated much, to bad its old now to have any appealing for new players.

Overall awesome bundy for just under the 7 buckets

• frightlever says:

Man, I’m buying these bundles just not playing many of them. Last game from a bundle I gave any time to was Hard Reset, which was surprisingly fun but it’s completely relentless in a Serious Sam kinda way. Hmm. Okay, not THAT relentless.

4. squareking says:

Shame it’s not Space Rangers Reboot, which adds some neat new content. However, everyone without King’s Bounty needs to purchase this right now.

5. trjp says:

Note: Armoured Princess is today’s deal of the day on Steam if that’s all you’re keen on…

JiminyJickers says:

So is Kings Bounty TL and Crosswords. Was only interested in the KB games so bought the Platinum bundle on steam.

6. aliksy says:

I got it for the King’s Bounty game. Put maybe 10-20 hours into it, and I’m now realizing I’m awful at it. People on the internet are talking about play throughs without losing any troops, and I’m staring at stacks of 100+ enemy units wondering how the fuck you win this game.

• Baines says:

Without losing any troops? I couldn’t even deal with the early fights without losing troops.

• f1x says:

same here, that must mean I should really read and think about the units,
      but usually I just get WTF pwned no matter how strong is my army

• Veracity says:

It’s the early fights that are hard(ish) to do without losses, because you can’t resort to utter cheese yet and mostly just have to watch range very closely. Royal snakes kick copious butt at this point. From early area 2, mana lets you resurrect troops, inquisitors let you accumulate rage, blue lady lets you convert rage into mana. There’s variations, high-level units don’t die much, anyway, and you can also rewind your units’ state with skeleton guy, but that’s the basic infinite loop that lets you win at the cost of half your troops then stall for 30 turns and come out with “no losses”. Wouldn’t recommend it, though, it’s dull as hell compared to muddling through more haphazardly. There’s also self-multiplying/replenishing stacks, but I always found them quite annoying because of the potential for leadership overflow.

7. RSeldon says:

If you have Space Rangers 2 there’s probably not a lot of point in getting the first one– it’s been a while since I played either, but my recollection is that the second is basically the first with a bunch more features thrown in.

That said, I think I spent upwards of 200 hours on the first one. Beating it on the easiest difficulty took me most of those 200 hours and was possibly the proudest moment of my gaming life (even if the ending did make me want to throw something at the screen). So yeah… still plenty to keep a person busy there, and if you don’t have either game then it’s totally worth it for cheap.

Also, Armored Princess is awesome, of course.

• Kefren says:

I preferred Space Rangers to the second one. Something about the interface and music maybe. Also I didn’t like the additional RTS land-battles in SR2. SR is definitely worth getting if you haven’t played it, a real joy. Lasted me all summer a couple of years ago.

• KDR_11k says:

Is SR2 available without StarForce DRM?

• AngoraFish says:

SR2 might well be my most fondly remembered game of all time. Never seemed worthwhile going back to the first to try it. Shame they wasted so much time on the crappy RTS mode which could otherwise have been spent on more content.

If I’ve already spent a bazillion hours on 2, is it worth having a go at 1?

• Kefren says:

There’s no harm in it. You might find that it’s like a comforting blanket, but slightly different, more charming.

8. Njordsk says:

king’s bounty is indie to them?

I’d like more indie like that.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

They probably should have called it the 1C Gala bundle.

9. Teovald says:

Nice to see that Indie Gala is proposing Google Wallet as an alternative to Paypal.
    I don’t really care if Google Wallet or Amazon Payment is used (I have an account in both stores and both offer good security), I just want to do not have to use Paypal. Last week I did not buy the Indie Royale bundle for this only reason : Paypal has screwed far too many indy companies (not only game devs).

10. MythArcana says:

Space Rangers 2 Reboot is required gaming. I haven’t played the first one, but the improvements to the Reboot version are fairly numerous. Soon, the new version will be out and I will be the first in line.

Also, this is the second bundle article in a a week which basically picks one game out of the five or six and snubs the rest. Is there a particular reason to even mention the bundles if you don’t support them?

MajorManiac says:

If you like Hitman, and would like a rough-around-the-edges Hitman game set in WW2 then Death to Spies is brilliant. The interaction is much more basic, but the maps can be huge. Big enough to include a German base and the surrounding countryside.

I bought it for £20 last year and think its worth the price.

yhancik says:

What do you mean by “more basic” interaction? I’ve always been somewhat curious about DtS, but I felt the general impression about those was “only ok-ish”.
      (but maybe I should look around for a Wot I Think before asking such questions :p)

• Yglorba says:

The first one’s levels felt a bit bland (though there were a few clever points.)

Luckily, this bundle also includes the sequel, Moment of Truth, which improved on it considerably.

yhancik says:

I just watched a bit of gameplay and it looks interesting… is suppose my main concern is: how does it compare to Hitman in terms of “multiple possible path” to succeed (and fail :p) a mission?

Also there should be more games where you can dress up! I was always frustrated that I couldn’t do it in Stalker, with all its factions mechanism!

drewski says:

Someone remind me to check this out when the rest of the content is revealed.