Roll Up: Mutant Blobs Attack

By Adam Smith on July 30th, 2012 at 12:30 pm.

Resembling a hybrid of Gish and Katamari Damacy, Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, is a PS Vita title that is set to infiltrate Steam on August 15th. As I’ve never even touched a PS Vita ,I can only report second hand that handheld holders mostly greeted the sci-fi silliness with a hearty roar of approval. The game is apparently more of a platformer than the Katamari Damacy comparison might suggest, although it is necessary to absorb and grow in order to pass obstacles and checkpoints. The short trailer below also shows a glimpse of the top-down minigame levels, enhanced for PC.

The Blob legitimately terrified me when I first saw it, even if the film probably stemmed from subconscious cultural memories of the Boston Molasses Disaster, which I knew nothing of at that time. Them! caused a few sleepless nights as well and those early experiences left me with a fondness for fifties sci-fi horror and its culmination in some of the greatest television ever made.

Mutant Blobs Attack looks decent as well, even if it is lacking a Rod Serling introduction.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jackablade says:

My god, the Boston Molasses Disaster is actually a thing. I thought you were just being droll.

My mind is officially blow’d.

2. RogerMellie says:

Not much to say but felt sorry seeing this game/post commentless. Have played this more than any game on my Vita. Backhanded compliments ahoy. Nice fun game though.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

BUY THIS GAME. My Vita has not sat idle a moment after installing this. Can’t wait for Guacamelee!

Also, Roger, you should check out Gods Eater Burst. It’s fucking Weird, but addictive.

3. Gnoupi says:

Looks like Gish, but actually fun to play. I’m interested.

4. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

My first encounter with the Blob was reading “Slime” by Joseph Payne Brennan. Then came The Crawling Horror and the Shoggoths and there was nothing left undigested. This trailer needed more shots of people being devoured by our oozing hero. Choppers and multicoloured shapes are not crunchy enough.

5. Hodge says:

I watched some of The Twilight Zone for the first time only recently and was taken aback by how brilliant it is. Reminds me that I still need to buy the whole thing and watch it all in order.

And yeah, that Molasses thing.

6. internisus says:

This looks really good! I hope its predecessor, Tales from Space: About a Blob, comes to Steam as well.