A Desktop Dungeon: Browser Spelunky

By Alec Meer on July 31st, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

All those Xbox fellows having been frothing uncontrollably about Spelunky XBLA for the last couple of weeks, so starved are they of games that aren’t about manshooting or sports, but we smug gits have had it for years. Even if we don’t get the fancy-pants new graphics because there isn’t a Microsoft to wave mega-bucks at Derek Yu and chums. Well, there is of course a Microsoft on PC, but it’s hard not feel they’d rather eat their own toenails than do anything with PC gaming these days. Anyway! The original (and, for my money, much better-looking) Spelunky has been given a second wind, courtesy of a browser-based HTML5 version created by Tinysubversions, aka Darius Kazemi.

It is currently lacking sound, but given he achieved what’s otherwise a very solid conversion in about three hours, we can forgive him that. The important thing is an instant fix of this wonderful, brutal game of dungeoneering, whenever and wherever we wish. It even runs on my mobile telephone, albeit in an essentially unplayable way.

You can read more details on how the conversion was done and what’s likely to be added here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. aliksy says:

Neat!

Also I have been a smug, smug bastard about this xbox port. “Spelunky? Yeah, I played that a lot when it first came out, few years ago.” I have no shame about it.

2. arrjayjee says:

I love this game, but I do hope the new XBLA version comes to PC. I feel terribly guilty enjoying a game so much when it’s free. I want to throw my money at him!

• Scythe says:

I feel it! I emailed him ages ago asking if I could paypal him a beer’s worth of dollars in thanks for spelunky, but he declined. I enjoyed the bajeesus out of it, so I’ve been pimping it to anyone I know with a consolebox. About two people.

Edit: Him being Derek Yu.

3. wererogue says:

Does anyone know if there’s a proper linux port? I’ve been dying to pick up Spelunky again on my EEE901, and WINE tends to be too heavy for it.

I’ll try out the HTML5 version tonight, but I suspect that’ll be slow too. A native port would be just the thing.

4. Phantoon says:

Fantastic.

5. Jesse L says:

Sweet. As much as I’ve played it, I still like to come back to it from time to time. This is perfect for that ten minute fix.

• Baboonanza says:

You must be rubbish at it then :)

• Devenger says:

If you’re focusing on speed, the game takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish (well, from start to defeating the final boss). Maybe Jesse is good at the game, and likes sprinting everywhere.

• Phasma Felis says:

Nope. The gold time achievement in-game is for beating it in 10 minutes, and it’s not that hard to get. I don’t think I’ve ever had a single run take longer than 20.

6. Greggh says:

I was going to write something witty to thank you, Alec, for pointing this to me (well, pointing to everyone, actually, but you catch my drift). But if I did it, it would lessen how grateful I am.

Seriously, thanks man!

7. ZIGS says:

Microsoft would rather eat their grandmother’s toenails than do anything with PC gaming. Even that festering, pus-filled ingrown one

8. Heliocentric says:

Thank god this didn’t exist while I was at university.

9. Baines says:

I was kind of disappointed with the XBLA version.

The biggest new thing to me was co-op, and I just don’t think it works very well. Like a lot of single player games that get single-screen multiplayer added, the camera just isn’t pulled back far enough to make sufficient room for the other players.

You have to stick fairly close together, else someone will end up offscreen. (This is made worse in areas with long drops.) Stick together though, and there just isn’t much reason to actually be playing co-op, other than effectively getting a second life and a few more starting items. You can supposedly revive a dead player on later levels, but the survivor never lasted that long. At the same time, the person who was dead was pretty bored while the survivor tried to navigate a level safely. Yes, ghosts have some effect on the game, but not enough to stave off boredom.

• silverhammermba says:

I played the hell out of the Game Maker version and am now playing the hell out of the XBLA version. I agree that coop is a bit too hectic, but that’s sort of part of the fun (split screen would be nice though). Overall I think it’s an improvement. The HD graphics are surprisingly nice, there are more items, enemies, levels, and secrets, plus unlockable characters and deathmatch maps. Super great.

• Baines says:

I’d like to see at least another 50% vertical and horizontal space, even though it would mean smaller tiles. As is, I can’t even image four player co-op as anything other than a conga line. There isn’t even enough current screen space for two people to “explore”.

Split-screen might work as well. It has the advantage of everyone being able to go wherever they want, though it becomes more difficult to track just where people are in relation to each other.

10. pakoito says:

It key jams like a bawse. I can’t run and jump left at the same time.

11. HaVoK308 says:

I am enjoying the XBLA version a lot more. I have already spend more hours with it then I have with the PC version. Of course paying for it could have attributed to it. I prefer the new visuals also. Of course I try not to cloud my 38 year old eyes with nostalgia.

12. Urthman says:

I like the older graphics too, but the XBLA version adds a whole lot of new content as well.

I hope he does like Monkey Island and releases a PC version that lets you choose Classic Graphics or Newfangled.

13. AasiyaRuRo says:

ATTENTION ALL BATTLEFIELD, CALL OF DUTY and MEDAL OF HONOR GAMERS!

Preorder your direct point and shoot 3 foot long collectors item laser blaster NOW for half price!($55)

Click here for to go to indiegogo’s listing:

The laser rifles are brought to you by i-Zone-3 Technologies, Inc.
    (www.i-zone-3.com)

14. spezz says:

Its hilarious to me that this article appears for me directly next to an ad for the xbox version of CODBLOPS2.

Im sure Derek, who is primarily an artist, had to have his arm twisted to make a prettied up version of his game.

Also, this port seems like more of an HTML5 proof-of-concept as opposed to a playable game. It was a one click port using a gamemaker to HTML5 converting tool. Its full of bugs and nigh unplayable.

15. themroc says:

“ZXC to do stuff” …great that Americans never consider other keyboard layouts…

• Phasma Felis says:

Don’t feel bad, it doesn’t work properly on American keyboards either. (Missing the super useful Bomb and Rope buttons, and there’s no way to start running without throwing whatever’s in hand.)

16. Classicgamer says:

This game was really fun. I am really enjoying these classic type games (ie, Scott Pilgrim, Megaman 8, etc…) Also, Browser Games on PC have some pretty cool classic hits. Spiral Knights is a fav of mine!

Comment on this story