Day Z Passes 900k Unique Players, Arma II Still Tops Steam

By Jim Rossignol on July 31st, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

We could have waited until it hit 1 million for the sake of the bigger headline, I suppose. But I wanted to say something: the success of zombie mod Day Z couldn’t have been predicted. It was a one off. A outlier. It’s one of those rare and beautiful times when a game design experiment explodes into a phenomenon. No one can plan for that to happen, not really. But I can predict one thing: the companies that do not support modding will never have a zombie mod sell hundreds of thousands of extra copies of their game.

I know that for companies trying to get a game out, it seldom seems worth putting out tools for people to mod. There’s the cost, for starters, and it’s not always even possible – especially if you are using certain kinds of middleware or something (and I know that from first-hand experience) – and then there’s the time it takes for people to get that toolset out there. Hell, it’s possible that the effort that goes in might never be appreciated. Might never get picked up and used by the players.

There’s a certain school of thought that looks at the lack of big total conversion mods, like there were in great waves after Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2, and suggests that modding is “dead.” As usual with claims about the demise of a form, those claims start to look exaggerated when you look at what’s really going on. It’s something that we’re going to talk about in detail in the near future, but it’s arguable that mods are more interesting now than they have ever been. Just a quick glimpse at the Steam Workshop for Skyrim suggests that even though those grand overhauls are distant, the modding scene is far from idle.

For BIS, of course, the policy of supporting player-generated content and modification would have been a fundamental attraction even with Day Z. For that game the staples of other games – things like a single-player campaign – are almost incidental the toolset they provide. It’s something of a vindication that those tools have not only sold copies of the original game, years after release, but now look set to generate a new, standalone game.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Flukie says:

I got it, played it and am just waiting for it to not feel like a real buggy mess, but alpha is alpha I guess.

Although there will be tonnes of pissed off users if they make a separate dedicated client.

• Derppy says:

They can only blame themselves. They bought ARMA2, they didn’t buy DayZ, it was absolutely free.

If a mod is great, it’s only natural for it to be a standalone game in the future. From what Rocket said, being standalone would help solve many of the issues and get a better control over the game.

It will still use Virtual Reality engine (ARMA2 or ARMA3 version), which has it’s quirks, but is still an engine that allows a game like DayZ to happen in the first place. Huge draw distances/environments, accurate ballistics, realistic perspective, wounding mechanics etc.

• Wreckdum says:

The only real buggyness that makes me not like it is the ridiculous inconsistencies with the zombies. When they first see you from 8 billion miles away they start sprinting at light speed and close the gap in seconds… Then if you start jogging for some reason they can never catch up… lol That takes SOOOOO much tension away when I know all I have to do is keep jogging and I’ll never get hit.

And the pathing is horrendous. I think that is partially the Arma 2 engines fault. Infantry combat was never good on Arma. The zombies make the most ridiculous turns. They can do a 180 and change direction instantly at a full sprint. Even Super Mario had to slow down before he could start running in the other direction and that game was made in the 80s! =P

• woodsey says:

I think Rocket’s said recently that he’s looking to sort out the pathing, but that’s all going to be bundled with the infected being able to run indoors.

As for it being buggy, it really doesn’t bother me. There are quirks, sure, but myself and my friends just shrug them off. I did recently have to take a few days break after having my legs broken for the millionth time though. Still, the way it makes you feel when you play is practically unparalleled, and that more than makes up for it’s alpha state.

• wengart says:

The zombie AI is actually the animal AI in the game, not the human AI. The human AI would require too much power to provide the number of zombies needed to fill out the game. Since it does cover checks and other intelligent stuff like that.

So Rocket used the animal AI, which was never meant to do anything like this, that is why the pathfinding for the zombies is so poor.

• Jimmy says:

It is basically a PvP survival game with aggressive hares with zombie skins and sounds.

• gamerab says:

I think the infected path finding is fine (even if its not as designed); nothing wrong with a bit of unpredictability! The level of aggroing is very high at the moment (guess that’s a hearing issue). However the infected menace must be kept at a high pitch otherwise this is nothing but a 100% PVPer.

• Smashbox says:

Pissed that there’s now a better version of the free mod they like?

• dangermouseirl says:

Well as an alpha you can expect frequent bugs .. thats the point of an alpha .. The players are the testing team and their input molds the progress of the project. But its the best alpha I have ever seen. How many games have you played that you feel genuinely exited by the fact that you have found a can of beans?

2. Bennyjh says:

Can’t help but feel a bit let down by DayZ as of late. Used to be updates at least once a week, and now when updates finally come they’re minor balance fixes etc that tend to break the game for everyone for the few days following.

Bohemia need to suck it up and start a standalone. Give rocket some more coders before everyone else gets bored like me.

• matnym says:

To be fair, they only anticipated a few hundred users, not close to a million. They’ve had multiple server issues due to heavy traffic and because players are stupid the devs will have to be more careful with their updates.

If a game breaks for a few hundred, it’s not a big deal. If it breaks for hundreds of thousands, then it’s going to be a problem. They have to take their time now, just like Mojang have to with Minecraft.

• shaydeeadi says:

This.

I don’t understand people getting upset about a game not recieving weekly updates, it’s a mod and they could be knee deep in some important part of the code that can’t just be thrown out the door. There is quite a bit to do in the game with regards to the fact that its all player generated. If you find yourself at a loose end just stop playing for a while or come up with an operation for you and your buddies to go on within the map ffs.

I’d rather wait a month for the next update if it means significant improvments to the mod.

• Stochastic says:

Just out of curiosity, how many people are currently working on DayZ on a day to day basis?

• S Jay says:

They used to come once a week with thousands of new bugs that made the game impossible to play and required a succession of daily hot fixes that made a lot of people lose all their gear, end up in an strange corner of the map, etc…

I prefer slower and *less* buggy releases.

3. innociv says:

I can’t help but not want to play an alpha that badly.
    10 years ago, I downloaded every alpha mod ever for almost every game. Now, if it’s not a simple click on Steam, I don’t really bother. Getting old, I guess.

I’m eagerly waiting DayZ for Arma3, however.

4. Drake Sigar says:

Maybe now the more paranoid amongst us will stop claiming Steam are being paid to keep Arma at the top of the sellers list.

5. Alexandros says:

Wasn’t it 800k just a few days ago? Amazing, I’m very happy for Bohemia because they’re a PC developer and very open to game modding.

6. Baboonanza says:

‘Everyone else making games needs to look at that, and to consider that providing tools might be mean more than simply letting your community provide for itself, as Bethesda has done with The Elder Scrolls games, it might be the equivalent of buying a ticket in a very lucrative lottery. We might not get a new Counter-Strike every year, but that lottery is definitely still running.’

So would you advocate people investing in lottery tickets? If it’s a lottery then by definition it’s not a very sound investment. For every Half life and Arma II there must have been countless other projects that have invested in supporting modding with little to no return.

That’s not to say devs shouldn’t do it, modding is certainly popular with some gamers, but to advocate it because you might be to 1 in 10000 who gets really, really lucky is absurd.

• Alexandros says:

Modding always extends the life cycle of a game. Always. You might not make millions but you will make more money if your game is mod-friendly.

• pkt-zer0 says:

Spending 50% more money to make 20% more is still not a financially sound decision. Opportunity costs and all that nonsense.

• Baboonanza says:

That’s some impressive certainty there. Personally I would think the number of games where mods have directly translated into a meaningful number of new sales to be fairly small, but without figures there isn’t any way to know.

• Derppy says:

No, actually supporting modding doesn’t mean more profits.

EA trashed the fantastic modding community of Battlefield with the latest game, the community created a ton of great content and variety, way more than the original game ever had.

The modding scene created Project Reality, which was a more realistic, teamwork-oriented game with 4 times as large maps as the original game, expanded leading and communication tools and a large amount of new weapons and vehicles.

They also made Forgotten Hope 2, which took the game to WWII setting, featuring snowy maps and thick forests with a ton of completely new weapons, vehicles and mechanics.

There was also Point of Existence, which featured a ton of new content, more than the official expansions combined.

All this was absolutely free to the players, it more than doubled the value of the original game. However, it still doesn’t increase sales that much and it can be viewed as competition for the paid DLC, which is often inferior.

EA knows profits, it’s not run by gamers, it’s run by people who know to make profit. Killing the modding community is a huge slap in the face of gamers, but still carefully calculated move to eliminate competition and sell bad DLC for a high price, since there’s no alternative.

• nimrod123 says:

both BF3 and BF2 lack mod tools the diffrence is that EA will brick you BF3 account if you run a mod on your game that runs in a server interacting with the master (both ranked and unranked) this was to stop the 128player mods that appeared during beta

• pepper says:

BF2 has plenty mod tools:

Official and unofficial. Also you can do gameplay scripting with the integrated python environment. Quite neat:

BF3? Its a mod-less POS.

Modding may not give a direct one on one return in money, but it does provide a workforce of skilled people that have been able to dable into all facets of gamedesign/development before even going to any education institution. It also breeds new idea’s that develop into full games(Team Fortress, Counter Strike, Day of Defeat).

So yes, we need modding.

• Misnomer says:

Fun tidbit. Even those crappy DLC’s you talk about EA making for BF2… still had more players playing them concurrently when they were still paid content than PR had at the peak of its popularity.

Puts a wrench in that no mod tools to preserve DLC sales argument doesn’t it?

• Mattressi says:

If you ever played BF1942 when it was at its prime, you’d also know that the expansions were barely played compared to Desert Combat. I’m pretty sure that at one point I saw more DC servers/players than vanilla BF1942.

While mod tools don’t guarantee greatly increased sales, they can allow for it to happen.

• marcusfell says:

I know that the ONLY reason I got Starcraft 2 was for the mod support.

• Shuck says:

The questions developers are going to ask are: does modding extend the popularity of the game sufficiently to offset the costs of supporting it, and does it generate more sales than DLC does (which is undermined by equally complex free content). Extending the life of a game isn’t necessarily a financial boon if all it means is that people are continuing to play the game instead of buying other offerings.
        It’s a hard sell to developers.

• Derppy says:

Many developers started in the modding scene, or at least know what’s best for end-user, so I doubt they want to kill modding. I like to assume they are proud of their work, so sharing the code and assets with others shouldn’t be an issue either.

This is why huge publishers like EA spit on modding and see no value in it, while companies like Valve, which are run by gamers, will do everything they can to support modding, even if it wouldn’t get them any direct profits.

I feel like Battlefield 3 lost 80% of it’s potential by killing the modding scene. I’d really want to see Project Reality running on Frostbite 2.0, but I think the original game is pretty lame, just a bunch of people running like headless chickens until the round ends, wasting vehicles, competing against their own team to top the scoreboard.

• Shuck says:

Well, when you’re talking about expensive-to-develop games, whether the developers think modding is important, personally, will be largely irrelevant to the consideration of whether it’s financially worthwhile. The reality is that for the most part it probably isn’t.

7. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I am glad to see Bohemia Doing so well. I enjoyed their games, and appreciated the work on their ArmA 2 engine enough to buy ArmA 2 and all expansions several times over…
    Ok only about 3-4 times, I am but a peasant. But me and my buddies have had great experiences from it

Congrats Bohemia, and Rocket

8. purdz says:

It’s a shame that the extra 100,000 players they have accumulated in the past few days all seem to be hackers.

It’s unreal how much hacking is going on at the moment, it’s multiple times a day on some servers, we lost control of the server we use last night and had many people killed to some griefer. In most games that shit is just annoying but in Day Z it can take you hours to find all the stuff you had again just to have someone teleport next to you with invulnerability and shoot you.

I don’t mind losing my stuff to genuine players but ‘hackers’, and I use that term lightly since it’s just someone who knows how to download and inject a script from the internet, it’s just a pain.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Sigh — With great popularity comes great fuckability I guess.

• Drake Sigar says:

It might be even worse than GunZ. And that was hacker-city.

• iniudan says:

And was a hell lot of fun for a free game (at least back then when F2P were still not common), before hacker became a common occurrence. =(

• Mad Hamish says:

Funnily enough I met my first hacker last night(been playing since may) and he was friendly. He was dressed in full military gear, fancy guns and all. He hacked me all the top equipment. Shit just appeared in my inventory and backpack. In had just respawned after my oldest character dying and had no gear. It didn’t sit well with me though.

What the fuck is the point of hacking in all the best gear. So I attracted some zombies, swam out to sea and let them kill me there so no one could get the hacked stuff. I hind sight I should have just killed that guy because he was a hacker. It soured my taste for that server so I left.

• purdz says:

I would say if that happens again drop the gear and disconnect, apparently the Devs are checking the database for non standard items and issuing hive bans for those found to be carrying them.

• Miltrivd says:

No they don’t. They have said several times that picking hacked stuff isn’t a bannable offense, and they can check logs to know if you picked it up or spawned it.

Said that, when someone kills you with that stuff on, you are gonna get reported and increase their workload, not counting that’s a pretty lousy way of playing (using equipment you know is hacked).

• Mr Wonderstuff says:

Purdz speaks the truth. DayZ may well die a horrible and unfortunate death if nothing is done about the hacking as it is ruining the experience. Really this should be the top priority above anything else.

9. MiKHEILL says:

Does anybody remember Marathon? The modding scene for those games was phenomenal, I’ve never seen so many total conversion mods.

10. Joe Duck says:

It is going to make yet another jump in popularity. Look who just now decided to talk about DayZ:

11. cloudkiller says:

I wanted to love this game so bad. Played it or tried to play it night after night but it is just so F’ing buggy. Connecting to a server is a pain, trying to use the inventory system requires a tutorial, items still get regularly destroyed by a backpack and hand to hand combat is a swing and pray type system. I hope the game gets better but I’m starting to regret my steam sale purchase.

12. zeroskill says:

I don’t believe EA or Activision care a great deal since they make just too much money off of their fanbases selling them payed for DLC and Mappacks. People nowadays are buying these things, and are happy with it too, apperently. So they have no reason to release tools to the public.

As gaming has become much more popular to a larger audience, as opposed to, lets say 10 years ago, where mostly geeks were playing video gamers, which were much more willing to get invested into modding, gaming has naturally become more of a consumer only product, so I am afraid we will see less modding in the future.

Thankfully there are still companies that heavily support modding and community integration. If you care to look.

Rock Paper Shotgun has quite some power here. You could consider giving companies that provide mod tools more focus, and companies that offer no mod tools and think it’s great to milk their fanbases with payed for DLC less focus. It would be a start.

• S Jay says:

Which 2009 EA/Activision game sold a lot in 2012 (for full price)?

I believe they took notice. Might not change their attitude (big ships are hard to steer once the direction is set), but they took notice. Similar idea, but different approach, is coming from all the enhanced editions (Witcher, Baldur’s Gate…) where devs want to give a real new life to a great (old) game. It *has* to be cheaper to build on top of a game instead of making a full blown sequel.

• HothMonster says:

Aren’t most of Activision’s sequels built on top of an old game? I don’t think they are writing COD from scratch every year.

Or all of EAs sports games?

If they allowed modding in these games no one would buy their overpriced map packs because there would be better maps for free and you could just get a mod of the new rosters instead of buying Roster Update 2012.

• S Jay says:

They spent dev resources on it. I think making Call of Honor Warfighter III takes as long as making the II. While Arma II was launched in 2009 and it is still that game.

13. grundus says:

The way I see it, Day Z isn’t great fun to play right now but it’s real strength in my opinion is the fact that it has proven, without a doubt, that mod-friendliness does not mean ‘oh my god I’m literally leaking money because I can’t sell DLC to people who can make it for free’.

14. MeestaNob says:

I really like that that means there are a MILLION people out there who still like tinkering with their games and enhancing them beyond their original design.

And whilst personally I’d prefer to see ARMA 2 be converted to a Steam workshop title so that a Day Z installation was a less worrying experience, it’s great to see that games don’t have to be limited to the original vision of it’s developers.

• Atrak says:

what happens to all of the people who have non steam versions of ARMA 2 then?

• Stellar Duck says:

Indeed. While the Workshop is handy enough I always shudder a bit when using it and imagine the horror of more games using it. I really, really don’t want more games to tie into Steam. It would be like on the console boxes.

15. squirrel says:

One last few paradise of realism in military shooter and you have to pollute it with the theme of zombie……

• Skabooga says:

Heh, a decade ago I was complaining about the realistic (for its time) military shooter Counter-Strike invading the wonderfully fantastic sci-fi romp (with a few zombie-analogues, no less) that was Half-Life. In the end, though, I still have Half-Life, as pure as it ever was.

• Ganjatron says:

Believe it or not, more people are playing vanilla/ace Arma2 now than ever before.

16. Alexander Norris says:

I wonder if this endemic to people like me, who were invested in the GoldSrc and Source modding communities and witnessed the slow death of Source total conversions. It’s a pretty pessimistic outlook to have, but the amount of TCs coming out has definitely shrunk – although that’s a result of the growth of indie games, and tweak mods and small content packs are definitely still alive (though the former is partly because of shit ports).

• Josh W says:

Exactly, a lot of the time now, people turn total conversion mods into games based off dev kits; in the olden days, unreal and quake had to bought to get hold of the engine, now source, unreal, unity and quake are all freely available. On the other hand, the costs of creating your own assets for these games often means that people need to make it a funded indie game, rather than a free mod.

• pepper says:

I do remember people talking doom and gloom in the goldsrc community’s when the source engine first came out.

Its a shame those communitys never survived, valve-erc, and many others of old(tfc-something..). They never made the switch.

17. Joe Duck says:

DayZ has progressed a lot since it came out.

- The use of SixUpdater/launcher has made it trivial to stay up to date. There is nothing to do now, just press a big button. That verifies your install and updates it. Then double click on the server you like and you are in. There is literally nothing else to do.
    - There are many more servers now and it is always possible to find a local server synced to daylight. Because of this, DayZ is now the most coop friendly game I can think of. We can make parties of any size, join in and hop out at any time and there are no stupid 4 player teams or balancing issues.
    - If you want global chat, most people use Teamspeak/Mumble/Skype and if you want to find your way there are many very good maps online. You have the option to make your game much more friendly this way. And it is still an option, which is good.
    - Zombies have improved their behaviour and they are more difficult to avoid and less predictable.
    - The hatchet is a great addition to the toolset.
    - Sickness has really impacted my group’s behaviour, antibiotics are very important.
    - Updates are slower now, but they are also more robust. I think Rocket is finding a very good pace here, not as hectic as before. He is aiming at stability and leaving some of the big, big feature changes for the big standalone. I think he is right in doing so.
    - I have never, ever have had problems with hackers. Not ever and I have more than 200 hours under my belt.
    - In game voice now works perfect, it is incredibly immersive and zombies react properly to it. That is, trying to eat your brains if you use it.

It has been wonderful to experience first hand this evolution, and to those who are holding out for a stable version, I think you are really missing the point.
    DayZ is not a game to be won. It is not Diablo3 or WOW, if anything it is EVE Online.
    It is a place to be experienced, lived and discovered and because of stream of patches, this place lives, evolves, changes and becomes more rich every time you play it.
    If you wait until DayZ stops evolving and is safe and robust, you’ll gain the security of keeping your high level weapon forever. There will be no glitches and there will be no server restarts, no hacks and you will get the full value of your BIG investment of the equivalent of a cinema ticket and some popcorn. Good for you, but it really will be a pity. As I said, you’ll have completely missed the point.

• Stiletto says:

Right, keep dreaming bro.

• shaydeeadi says:

DayZ Commander is a much better updater and launcher if you aren’t interested in other mods for Arma2. The browser is better and it uses a third of the memory.

I agree with most of what you said, except I think the zombie aggro is silly at the moment. It could still do with a little tweaking.

• Joe Duck says:

I did not know DayZ Commander, thanks for the suggestion. It looks awesome.
        About the zombies, I agree that they could be better still. I was mainly talking about their behaviour before the aggro kicks in. They tend to gravitate towards your position in a way that makes stealth much more challenging and scary.

• derbefrier says:

I like a lot about Day Z but the zombies are the worst part of the game simply because the AI used to control them is atrocious. I have heard it used to be a lot worse, which may be true, but that doesn’t meant its still not bad. maybe i just haven’t figured it out yet. it just seems like sometimes i will crawl on my belly and can get extremely close to a zombie and not get detected, then i can be crouched behind a tree not moving and aggro a pack of zombies from the other side of town. It is just too inconsistent for me right now. I have decided to wait a few months before trying it again and work through some of my backlog. I love the idea and fully support it. The execution of that idea just needs to be a little more polished before i jump back in. Well, either that or wait until The War Z comes out.

I love modding though and I bought ARMA 2 because i wanted to support it. I love the steam workshop and have loved PC games since i loaded up my first custom Doom level. I hope with this and the steam workshop the big guys will take notice.

• AdmiralBull says:

Despite the few bugs that this game brings to the table,I find it to be the most immersive game out there on the market today.There is no other game that brings the element of paranoia & stealthy minded gameplay,whether played SP or Co-Op, online.Quirks aside,the hardcore aspect of losing all that you try so hard to accumulate & store safely away,is never quite that at anytime.I would love to see this game go to an independent standalone but, if not,it just proves one thing that has been lacking in most popular games,especially FPS,the need for mod toolkits. It brings so much to the table for fresh ideas and making a good game, a great game with a great community following & support.It is a shame that folks take the time to hack & cheat their way thru a game such as this,or any game for that matter,when it is clearly meant for sandbox play.Yeah ,sure it sucks, when you lose all that you’ve gained but,the sheer dynamics of being in a “world” that dictates that you use some discretion to engagement to the fact that you may be rewarded greatly or making the biggest mistake of your life is definitely a game that has me obsessed in playing.Diablo,BF3,L4D/L4D2,SkyRim are all great games that are fun to play & have a certain way of making you feel, to me is not in comparison to this type of gameplay.I hope to enjoy this game for as long as it is available,whether never leaving the alpha/beta stage or going standalone mainstream.Thank you modders out there!!! Another proven fact that PC gaming is alive and kicking……

18. Clust3r says:

This is the best multiplayer game…ever. Hands down.

19. Arkon540 says:

I disagree that this is a success that could not have been predicted. This is literally THE zombie game that everyone has always wanted ever since people were talking about zombie video games… and it is finally, actually being made.

I remember pretty much describing DayZ to my friends back in high school over 5 years ago while chatting around the lunch table; “that would be such a cool game wouldn’t it?”. The only difference is that in my version, the map would be set in a dense city like New York, but the map would be similarly huge and still have a focus on survival.

20. Simas says:

A GTA 5 DayZ mod anyone? I would play that..
    Now all we need to do is convince Rockstar to add proper modding support and tools.

• HadToLogin says:

1) How are you gonna mod with pad? And it will be hard to install blender or other 3dmax on PS3 or Xbox…
      2) There is RDR with it’s zombie DLC, so they might get bored and money-hungry enough to make GTA5Undead on their own.

21. theallmightybob says:

the one thing that is really turning me off on this mod at the moment is everyone wanting it to be harder for silly reasons. why they hell wouldent I even start with a bottle of water? i dont know about you but i have alot of thoughs just laying around ready to be refilled.

22. int says:

Sex sells. Pah!

Zombies sell!

23. Ultra-Humanite says:

But how many games with mods haven’t seen extra sales because of the modding? You (the author) say yourself that no one could have foreseen this. So then why do you advocate modding as a business strategy if it leads to success that no could foresee? That’s not exactly a sound business strategy and also, it seems to be quite ignorant of the fact that companies make specific strategies that simply can’t include modding. It doesn’t mean they are doing it wrong just because it’s different or you don’t like it.

24. User100 says:

Where does that notion come from (and why is it endlessly repeated) that Bohemia SUPPORTS mods???
    BI (and the Arma engine) allows modding, but I don’t see much “support”.

Documentation released by BI is a mess, and 90% of the useful documentation that’s out there was created by USERS, doing lots and lots of time-consuming reverse engineering to figure out how things are working, Help from BI? Forget it.
    Bug are tracked on a *community-created* bug tracker (BI didn’t create one – the users did), and it often takes YEARS for a well-known bug to be fixed.
    Requests from the modding community for fixes or improvements are flat-out ignored.
    Even a mod like DayZ got such a hard time on the Bohemia forum (where they only allowed him to have a single thread to hold those hundreds of thousands of responses), that Rocket had to create his own forum, to accommodate the user interest.

So, I’m not quite sure how all that translates into a “BI SUPPORTS MODS” myth.
    From a company that “supports” modding I would first expect exhaustive documentation, a certain responsiveness to modder requests, and tools that don’t come with a learning curve that rivals Mt. Everest.

25. R_Yell says:

Ahh more players, glad to know. I hoped for some useful news, like they fixed some of the big exploitable bugs that plague this mod.

I’m a modder myself, don’t really want any more half-assed and unsupported tools, lacking documentation and released by people who obviously don’t give a shit about mods anymore (insert the name of your favorite studio here).

26. Thoric says:

More concurrent players than SWTOR by the end of the year, calling it now.

27. Shortwave says:

I bought everything so I could play DayZ, I had fun for a while but as Jim (I think?) said himself, sometimes I feel like it takes waaaaay too long to make the smallest accomplishment, even more so for less experienced players. I honestly think most of the people who bought this are likely sitting on it for now, waiting for some progression to be made in the gameplay. I know I am anyways.

The one thing I really wish to see would be having an alternate “Old School” zombie mode.
    Where instead of having fewer fast moving zombies you have massive variable speed zombies that randomly wander through all areas of the world. So you can be -accidentally- flanked while fleeing from one horde, and so forth. You’ll have to turn around to shoot the ones that match your speed.. Toss in one or two even faster ones to make it intense. That way the slower ones (Tons more) slowly catch up as you turn around to fire. And so forth… AKA, the more you fuck up. (Bump into something?) The closer MORE of them get to you. I think it would add a really interesting level of -realism- and challenge to the game. Meanwhile obtaining that classic zombie feel to it. Just something that’s crossed my mind..

28. ANeM says:

“Hell, it’s possible that the effort that goes in might never be appreciated. Might never get picked up and used by the players.”

AaAaAAA!! Is a good example of this. Shortly after the game released they put out a rough, beta version of a map editor and.. well, no one used it. At all. There was a bit of interest but it just didn’t catch on. Admittedly it was very, very rough. There wasn’t even a way to load custom maps into the game, you just had to rename/replace the original maps with your own and load them that way.

Regardless, there just wasn’t enough interest shown for them to finish work on the tools and implementation of custom maps, so they eventually took the download off their site and went and made some cheap DLC that they sort of gave out for free during last years Steam Summer Sale.

29. Berzee says:

Jim, is Sir You Are Being Hunted still looking fairly unpromising in terms of moddability?

Not asking accusatorily =P mostly because if the answer is that it is not easy to make it moddable, I wonder if Unity is part of that problem? I’m trying to decide whether to use Unity for my first foray into 3D games, but ease of modding is a definite consideration.

30. TheIronSky says:

Meh. Tired of zombies. Not a fun enemy anymore.

When is ARMA 3 coming out again?

31. psyk says:

“I don’t really think this mod proves anything regarding mod tools = more bucks for game companies. This was just a very very lucky shot, it’s the exception not the rule. ”

It proves that people are sheep and will follow the herd if the marketing has been good enough.

32. captain nemo says:

“But I can predict one thing: the companies that do not support modding will never have a zombie mod sell hundreds of thousands of extra copies of their game” – Amen to that

33. Kageru says:

It’s amazing what gushing media can do for a shallow, barely functional mod over a clunky and buggy mil-sim. I regret buying into the hype.

I imagine unique players will continue to climb, but activity will end up as only a tiny niche fraction of that. Which is why Rocket is focused on using the moment to seize some development deal for a real product.

34. AlienMind says: