Howl At The: Moon Intern

By John Walker on July 31st, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

Moon ghosts. I KNEW it.

Moon Intern has been appearing on our weekly Kickstarter round-up post, Kickstarter Katchup, for a couple of weeks now. And it looks pretty special. A side-scrolling RPG game, which will generate hundreds of quests for you to play, in order to earn the money to pay your rent. But more interestingly, the game will monitor how you play, and in response will start to adjust how it generates challenges accordingly. If you’re obviously having more fun with the combat, it’ll bed things that way. If you seem to be striking a chord with the puzzles, then things will start to get trickier that way. And if you’re good at both, then the game will get even tougher. There will be dynamic events, from meteor strikes to a shop nearby having a sale. And there’s a heavy emphasis on exploration. There’s now a trailer to prove it.

Take a look at the Kickstarter video first, because it goes into some detail about how much more is going on here than you might guess from the screenshots. Especially the daily thing, which I can’t quite get my head around. Other than I am enamoured by the promise of having spare time to explore the moon.

You get to have a soulmate!

The trailer is a very early prototype, and you can certainly tell. But then, they need the money to buy the licensed versions of Unity to be able to make it properly. It’s here:

Obviously, as ever, we haven’t played the game, so we can’t endorse giving it your money. But, come on. There are promises of a playable demo by as soon as next week.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Lambchops says:

I threw money at this week. I blame it on you. Mr Walker, if it turns out to be rubbish.

But since when has a game with “Moon” in the title ever been rubbish?!

• elderman says:

Word on the Metacritic street is that ‘Transformers: Dark of the Moon – Stealth Force Edition’ is the worst game ever made with the word ‘moon’ in the title. I can neither confirm nor deny these rumours but given the choice between watching the movie and playing the game, based solely on word of mouth, I’ll pay cinema prices and buy popcorn for all my friends.

2. lordcooper says:

I’m still not sure if John wants us to support this or not :(

3. Alphabet says:

I loved the look of this from the title on. I backed it as soon as it appeared in the RPS roundup a few weeks ago. It just looks like it’s been charmingly conceived and written. I don’t expect to get months out of it but I do want to see it come out so I can spend a few hours with it.

4. wccrawford says:

I backed it already, but after watching that alpha footage, I’m having doubts. First, I can’t imagine what he needs Unity Pro for. Second, there were so many issues with bounding boxes and simple things that I’m not sure he has the chops to pull this off.

I suppose I shall leave my money in and hope, but I’m much less optimistic now.

• wererogue says:

There are two major reasons to want unity pro:

1. Link external libs
      – This is what I think of as the really legit reason. If you want to add any features to unity games that are too heavy for scripting, you need to be able to compile and link a library. This could be advanced AI, some special animation sauce, some kind of heavy-duty data format etc.

2. Licensing fees and watermarks
      - You need unity pro if you want to sell your game and get all the profits. Plus, with unity free, your app is watermarked with a big unity button, which sucks.

5. reggiep says:

This game looks awesome… for 1979.

6. Skabooga says:

Somewhere between the concept screenshots and the vision/plan for the game as communicated by the developers, I was sold on it. I could find no other games on Kickstarter which matched Moon Intern in terms of design or scope.

7. forsh says:

Haven’t seen those hovering ghosts since Ghosts ‘n Goblins

8. The Random One says:

I will back this, no doubt. I’ll have to hold myself back to not throw $40 at it so me and my hat can be in the game.

9. LTK says:

Oh look, it just reached its funding goal. Rejoice!

• Skabooga says:

All right, this is abuse of power I can get behind! (I am completely joking, of course. RPS’s actions in this matter still fall firmly within what I would consider to be good ethical practices.)

But really, I am grateful that by turning its fiery, unblinking gaze on Moon Intern for a brief moment, RPS has contributed, to whatever extent it may be, to me being able to play such a fun-looking game.

10. FataMorganaPseudonym says:

“RPG game”

*facepalm*

Sorry, but if I have to go to my nearest ATM machine and input my PIN number in order to get some money to pay people not to do this, I’ll do so.*

* – I won’t actually be paying anyone anything.

• Skabooga says:

But in this game, you get to play the role of a moon intern. How could you more literally fit the the definition of RPG? :)

Oh no, I didn’t just start one of those debates about what an RPG is or isn’t, did I? I’m sure it’s too late at night for anyone to notice . . .

• The Random One says:

Why would you pay people not to do something other people might enjoy?

To teach you a lesson, I paid some nice people to prevent you from working tomorrow, since I’m very lazy and find the idea of work abhorrent. I’m not sure how they’ll go around doing it, but I heard them talking about breaking legs, so maybe they’ll break off a statue’s leg and put it between your bicycle’s spokes.

• chiefnewo says:

He specifically quoted the text “RPG game”. Perhaps you should go and look up what RPG stands for, then see if his comment makes any more sense to you.

Also, “ATM machine”. Clever irony, I hope. :)

11. Eophasmus says:

Having watched the teaser trailer with no audio and unable to watch the Kickstarter video (curse you, ancient-IE-fuelled work computer), I’m not particularly excited from the teaser trailer. However, if I think of the possibilities based on a simple description of it, I am: sidescrolling RPG set on the moon involving intern-based missions.

Of course, I’ll look at this properly when I get home to a real computer, but is there any hint of the types of missions? Will it be all-out bullet hell action with levelling or will we be able to explore, collect samples and do science? The potential is great; my fingers are firmly crossed.

12. absolofdoom says:

Looks awesome.
    It’s already funded though, so I don’t have to feel bad about waiting ’til it’s actually available to buy it.

Comment on this story