PlanetSad: PlanetSide 2 Beta Delayed

By Nathan Grayson on July 31st, 2012 at 8:30 am.

NO, THE PURPLE ARMOR ISN'T SHINY ENOUGH. POLISH IT MORE.

It may come as something of a surprise to you that you aren’t waging futuristic war on a massive scale while listening to “Ride of the Valkyries” right now. Speaking personally, it’s a thought that crosses my mind every day. Thing is, it’s actually not a minor form of mania today, as PlanetSide 2′s beta was supposed to have touched down by now. It is, however, nowhere to be found, and there’s a very good reason for that: a last-second delay – albeit, a pretty minor one.

SOE’s John Smedley took to Twitter to explain the rather conspicuous blank spot left behind by his company’s planet-sized MMOFPS:

“Beta likely going to start Friday or Monday. Had planned for today or tomorrow, but we have some stuff we need to make sure is awesome. The team is working like crazy, but we need to polish some stuff and test it before we let in a massive [number] of people.”

Hm, if SOE’s trying to make it awesome, I suppose I can forgive this slight slippage. In seriousness, though, PlanetSide 2′s beta is holding to the tenets of an actual test, so even with a bit of extra polish, SOE’s definitely not expecting it to go off without a hitch. So if I had to guess, I imagine this delay is the difference between features functioning at all versus crashing and burning outright.

At any rate, here’s everything you need to know about securing access to the beta – if you’re not in already. And to those who are, well, just be patient. He says while counting down the days and obsessively studying countless reels of gameplay footage.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. The Sombrero Kid says:

I’m more sad about not having a key, than it not launching. :(

• ImOnTheRadio says:

Sounds like you’re not even trying. For starters, follow Matt Higby and Tramell Ray Isaac and the other devs on twitter, they’re doing these #BetaKeyBlast things all the time where the first 100+ retweeters get a beta key. Oh, and it’s just a priority key which means that if you have a key it doesn’t mean that you immediately get in on the first wave.

2. Derppy says:

Have they said anything about sending out the beta keys yet? I understood PC gamer subscribers had some sort of priority, but is the beta exclusive to them for days or weeks?

• Andy`` says:

It’s not an exclusivity, its more just about the order of inviting people in to the beta. They said PS1 active subs first, then lapsed subs, then priority keys (PCG, E3, twitter keys and so on) then general sign-ups. How soon different groups are invited and how quickly people in each group are invited depends on how things progress for them as the beta goes on, so could be a week, or weeks, or ?

Note this isn’t about keys at this point, its about account access for people that have keys (or other flags on their account, like PS1 subs)

3. Jakkar says:

… It’s worth the wait. I promise.

4. philbot says:

Nooooo! Got a key last night… Was looking forward to installing it tonight.

• ImOnTheRadio says:

… It’s a priority key. If you have a key, it doesn’t mean that you have immediate access. Please people, just follow the devs on Twitter or read Planetside-universe.com so you would know this stuff.

• Palodin says:

Your key won’t get you in immediately. Current subs, then anyone whos ever subbed is before you. I don’t know exact numbers but thats a couple of waves worth at least.

5. Brothabear says:

been in Planetside 2 tech-test for a little while now. So The delay not hurting me :P

• aemskelley says:

Well, fingers crossed they don’t strip your test status away from you – NDA and all that!

• Stochastic says:

They won’t be able track him down, and he hasn’t really disclosed anything that we don’t already know.

• Brothabear says:

lol….i’ll be fine. Im a bit smarter than that. Now the assholes posting LIVESTREAMS of the game that arent the DEVs now they might have somthin to worry about.

6. Deeon says:

I still remember John Smedley from SWG days… no matter what he says all I hear is “Mwhahaha, gimme your moneh, gimme your soul, gimme your first unborn child!”

Evil. Pure Evil I tell ya!

• kaffis says:

Sure, and I won’t dispute that he’s looking forward to Planetside making a bunch of money for his company.

But the dude loves to PLAY Planetside 2, and he’s been a huge supporter of all the wild and ambitious dreams the dev team has had. It’s very safe to say he recognizes the unique franchise he’s got on his hands, here, and that it needs to be a quality game to be a hit, rather than fall back on a licensed property’s built-in appeal. Smed couldn’t be a bigger booster of the talented dev team he’s assembled, because they’re making a game that he wants to play, as well as one that he thinks will be hugely popular and profitable.

7. Dilapinated says:

It’s good to see a publisher not Terran to rush for a deadline. A lot of publishers seem to do that, only for their game to Vanu a couple of months down the line.

8. Surgeon says:

Yep, definitely worth the wait :D

9. P7uen says:

Well despite many days of trying, the Sony Station thing wont let me change my password, so I can’t log in, so I can’t see if my lapsed sub gets me in.

I am a sad Terran :(

• P7uen says:

By the way, the FAQ says it’s because I need a security question, and takes me to a kids MMO webpage with instructions on how to make a security question, the first step of which is to log in to my Station account. Ace.

• kaffis says:

Call customer support, they’ll get you straightened out pretty easily.

It’s because last year, when Sony got hacked, SOE added a few layers of security measures, and the window to log in w/o them has passed.

I gave CS a call, they had me verify a couple billing addresses and old CC numbers they had on record, and got me set up in about ten minutes.

10. Unaco says:

The Walker Principle strikes again?

11. Cooper says:

I really hope everyone jumping in the beta is made well aware that this is a proper beta (and your role is to test, not just play) not a glorified demo.

This seems to be passing by a lot of people…

12. cassus says:

Just thought I’d rub in everyone’s faces that I got a key about a week ago, I suspect it’s possible for more people to get one within the next few days. Follow @mhigby and @PS_TRay on twitter, they, especially matt higgby, tend to do “retweet this, the first 100 to do so gets a key” tweets. I have tweetdeck (the unsucky version, ofcourse) going on my second monitor so I saw it INSTANTLY and hit the retweet.. So excited! Huge fan of PS1.

Comment on this story