Behold: Far Cry 3′s Co-Op Revealed In Video Happening

By Jim Rossignol on August 1st, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Bagsie the man! Oh.
Far Cry 3 was shown in detail at the exciting E3 computer games fair in Los Angeles, back in June, and the focus of the attention there was the co-op aspect of the game: four folks fighting their way across a jungle island in search of revenge. The video of the E3 demo, which has been narrated by a helpful Ubisoftian, can be seen below, where it details some of the ways in which the four revengers can work together to defeat their greatest foe: other dudes.

Four characters, each with their own personalities. Unlike the four RPS writers, of course, who are different skins on the same man. :(

, .

1. Shooop says:

Those character models look worse than the Polar Express movie. I keep waiting for them to just simultaneously moan “Brrrraaaiiiinnnsss…”

And this is just begging for TotalBiscuit to do a video like this one for Blacklight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_DQ2J-0a-o

You sniped a guy! Words! You sniped another guy! More words! You got a headshot! Bonus words!

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Oh yes, that should become a regular feature, a sort of Honest Movie Trailers, except for shitty AAA trailers. Also, I smell progressive unlocks and, with it, the urge to punch a puppy in the face. As for the faces, I would blame it on consoles, except Half-Life 2 had better-looking faces and facial animations.

Gap Gen says:

Looking at this made me realise that someone should make a co-op game about dodging bullets called Deft 4 Lead.

3. mbr says:

Why?

4. Obc says:

you rps writers look all the same to me, puny humans

• jikavak says:

yeah,their humor and writing styles are all the same,those bastards.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Anyone remember that game where you had to pick who of RPS had written which article? That was neat (and I was so bad at it).

5. Milky1985 says:

“The co-op takes place 6 months before the story”

So its linktd to the story, i better be able to play it solo or with bots then. Hate missing out on story btis because the game insists i must pester others to also spend £40 on it just to get the full story :(

Ended up doing the Splinter Cell Convinction Co-op by myself with two controllers to get the full story.

• eks says:

That’s kind of sad man. Playing video games with friends is fun.

• Brun says:

It should not be forced on those who have no interest in playing with others. The CoD dudebro demographic may think that playing games solo is “for nerds” or “gay,” but true gamers understand that single player is sacred and should not be tampered with.

• Vinraith says:

I love that the CoD insults have reached such a fevered pitch that it can be brought up in a context where it doesn’t even make any sense. There hasn’t been a CoD game with co-op, to my knowledge, since World at War. Frankly, I never had much interest in CoD titles, but the amount of blind hatred directed at folks that play them never ceases to amaze me.

• Toberoth says:

Indeed. Who is this mythical dudebro in whose mouth Brun is putting words?

• Brun says:

It’s not really about Co-Op specifically, it’s about multiplayer in general and how it’s being forced into games with greater and greater regularity. For many years the multiplayer of choice was competitive, but it’s been shifting to co-op over the past two years, probably because studios are realizing they won’t be able to beat CoD in the competitive multiplayer segment.

• grundus says:

I don’t disagree but MW2 and MW3 had Spec Ops mode which was co-op and you could play Zombies co-op in Black Ops. Also there was Combat Training which is different I guess. But W@W was the only COD to have a co-op campaign.

• DrGonzo says:

Modern Warfare 2 and 3 both have coop I believe.

• Vinraith says:

@grundus

Well, shows what I know about CoD games. Thanks for the correction.

• Totally heterosexual says:

You can play MW2 and 3 co-op stuff alone though.

• eks says:

Wow, that’s really pathetic.

Honestly, what does the “COD Dudebro” demographic have to do with enjoying video games with your friends? The only connection I can make is if those are what all your friends are like, then it’s not really anyones else’s fault except yours that you hang around with them (social tip: you can pick your friends).

Also, the elitist attitude of “true gamer” which you are regurgitating is almost as bad as the insult slinging “COD Dudebro”. If your idea of a “true gamer” involves not enjoying video games with siblings or friends, then honestly, the “true gamer” demographic is what is wrong with the industry.

• Brun says:

They were the market force that drove the erosion of single player experiences in favor of multiplayer ones.

• pipman3000 says:

Only dumb beer-drinking sex-having dudebros have friends

• derbefrier says:

no ones forcing you to do anything. if you don’t like co-op don’t play it. no one has a gun to your head you know. silly entitled gamers, if you don’t like co-op games don’t play them don’t demand they are changed to suit your preference it makes you look like a spoiled little kid.. I am sorry you dont find enjoyment playing games with your friends your really missing out but don’t try to act like there’s no room for both exist they have been doing it for decades now.

• Milky1985 says:

I’m assuming you didn’t actually bother to read my post, also you started ranting about entitled which makes me think you really have no clue what you are on about (as yet again, another person throwing around the word entitled and using it in the complete and utter wrong way)

I said quite clearly that i don’t like story content being put behind a co-op wall, i don’t mind them putting co-op in in the likes of spec-ops missions in COD. Standalone extra missions are fine.

But if its part of a SP story then sure have it co-op but it should be able to be played SP.

Read what i write next time before furiously hitting the keyboard

• uncannychuckles says:

@Milky
            I’m assuming you don’t understand how comments work here.
            He was responding to the poster who explicitly stated that he was being forced to play Coop, which is ridiculous.
            I enjoy games with an intriguing story as much the next guy, but there was absolutely nothing about the story in the coop part of Splinter Cell (as it related to the sp part) that would make it worth playing if you didn’t have a partner.
            If you’re that concerned about stories, I suggest reading books.

• Milky1985 says:

I enjoy playing games with my friends as much as anyone, but i don’t like having story content (even if its only “extra”, its still story content) put behind a wall that i can only acess if i peseter enough mates to get the game and then play.

Hence I hope theres bots or it is possible (even if its a lot harder) SP

• Vinraith says:

Conversely, I’m annoyed that the main campaign can’t be played co-op, as the only way I’m going to play a game like this is with friends. I tend to think it’s better for everyone when the campaign is designed for single player, but can be scaled up to be played co-op.

• Siimon says:

I agree 100%! My beans to you sir!

• werix says:

Basically this. Hell, If Ubi went back and allowed you to play Farcry 2 with friends controlling your merc buds, I’d buy that. Hell I’d buy it for me and a friend. Maybe I love co-op way way way too much, but in my opinion, if your game has allied bots constantly escorting the player in single player, who are not fleshed out characters in their own right(such as the Spec ops the line AI) there is no excuse those nameless peons shouldn’t be player controlled.

• Milky1985 says:

I agree 100% with this, as long as it can be played SP if you wanna play it co-op thats fine!

Player choice is a good thing

6. mondomau says:

Off topic: I was wondering if the host was a non-native english speaker – “You can create countless of loadouts….and lots of more stuff”

On Topic:

Proper Co-op with proper mission goals = good.

Bullet sponge damage model and super ultra-gory kills = yawn.

• Gorman says:

I noticed that as well. Presumably she’s Québécois. Ubisoft Montreal and all that. Like Patrice Désilets and his outrrrageous french accent in those old AssCreed demos that I remember because at the time it seemed like an interesting new franchise.. Sigh..

On Topic:

Yawn, for the reasons you mention.

7. maweki says:

Split-Screen or Online-Co-Op. That is somehow very un-LAN-y sounding.

8. CaspianRoach says:

Mikhail actually shouted a phrase in russian there. I’m impressed. (“grenade, let’s move, let’s move!”)

Too bad I don’t have 3 (three) friends so I will miss out on this.

9. The Godzilla Hunter says:

“On this island of insanity, only the toughest survive. But you have the advantage, as you have teammates.” ….like the people your fighting?

On a more relevant note, this does look like it has the potential to be fun.

lasikbear says:

Those baddies don’t have teammates, they have same-sidechums.

10. Tuor says:

Co-op is just wasted resources for me. I guess some people like it, but I’m not one of them. Co-op is for consoles, IMO, not PC games. I wonder how much time was added to development for them to include this mode?

• eks says:

Is that a joke? I guess everyone has forgotten LAN parties already.

• Brun says:

To be fair, how often was co-op the focus of LAN parties? The LAN parties I went to always involved some sort of competitive multiplayer, usually a flavor of Unreal Tournament. I think his point was that during the golden age of LAN parties, co-op wasn’t a huge force.

• deadly.by.design says:

Uh, DOOM… Maybe my friend & I were the only ones playing modem-to-modem co-op.

But anyway. I think that guy must have played the crappy version of Borderlands then. I don’t mean the console version, but rather the PC (or any) version solo. Honestly–Borderlands was pretty average when played alone. Throw in a few friends, though, and you had a really good time.

• eks says:

I suddenly feel like the last couple decades of my life were a lie.

Co-op was my bread and butter, I have played co-op PC games my entire life. My brother, LAN parties, school friends, then it moved from physical connections to online gaming communities. PC gaming has always been about co-op to me and I just don’t understand the anti-co-op sentiment, especially your crazy statement about “true gamers” sticking to “sacred single-player”.

Either I’m going absolutely crazy or RPS is harboring the most anti-social PC gamers that exist.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

You’re normal. Everything is fine. Your friends and family love you. Don’t worry.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I would love some co-op, but I tend to solo play a lot. I suppose thats to do with the fact I’m autistic and hence are a bit more awkward socially. Really, though I could put in a bit more effort to actually start things up like with some people from RPS for instance. Magicka, for instance is a game I still really need to play in co-op. Borderlands, too perhaps.

• XenonMD says:

• aliksy says:

I like co-op. Why do people not like co-op? I spent like all of last night doing co-op in Orcs Must Die 2, and I split a 4 pack of borderlands2 with 3 friends.

• uncannychuckles says:

I understand that some people might not enjoy co-op, but you’re dead wrong about it being ‘for consoles’. It makes me think your idea of co-op is limited to split-screen and/or that you’ve never played a modern co-op game on the PC.

11. Meusli says:

I thought this was a PS3 exclusive, that’s why it was not revealed till their show.

12. AJ_Wings says:

It seems to be missing Far Cry 2′s dynamic fire mechanic. *sadface*

Say what you want about how monotonous and repetitive that game was, setting a village on fire and trapping your enemies inside a blazing circle is always hilarious.

• Shooop says:

Until it puts itself out only 2 minutes later that is.

They made every good idea in that game suck.

• sinister agent says:

The game would be a little too easy if fires didn’t burn themselves out. You could get through about 60% of fights just by setting a bush on fire and waiting for it to wipe out the whole area.

13. Siimon says:

Has anything been said about Split-Screen on PC or is just for consoles?

A bit excessive on the gore/blood, but otherwise this is the first trailer that got me excited for Far Cry 3.

felisc says:

same question here.
      I was happy to hear “splitscreen” at first, then froze in horror and had a vision of consoles only splitscreen, no FOV slider and low resolution textures. Hopefully I’m just fabulating.

• Siimon says:

This happens all the time and I can’t figure out why.

I’m sure I’ll catch some flak for this, but I -love- coop, I -love- splitscreen, and I -love- games where this all ties neatly together with the 4 wireless 360 controllers I have for my PC thats hooked up to a very large TV. Its easy.

I can never understand why xbox/ps3 versions get splitscreen while the same game on PC does not. So what if I have to turn down the graphics a bit to play splitscreen? Consoles do this all the time, nobody complains. Id trade internet play for splitscreen any day… I’d much rather have easy, fun, couch-play with some buddies than the ability to go online and play with random people.

14. TheComputerGamer says:

Playing 1 & 2, kept thinking how Far Cry really needs Coop (even tried the mod). But after watching the gameplay vid, I’m sotta left with that “Dead Island” feeling. The idea behind open environment, is getting lost, and finding different approaches to solutions, not being lead around on rails.

15. sinister agent says:

This looks very well put together, but something about the guns and the combat looks very … lightweight? The weapons in Far Cry 2 were absurdly underpowered (emptied an entire clip into a bare-chested man’s lungs? Best reload and do it again, because he’s not going anywhere until you get him in the head!), but they felt and sounded very solid and heavy, at least. The mooks in this seem to go down instantly though, and the guns have a very CoD-like feel, with barely any recoil. And healing up with a “battle cry”? Ugh, no thanks. Far Cry’s visceral healing system was one of its best features. I want to feel vulnerable, not just zip line blindly into the middle of an enemy base and spray bullets around without a care in the world because my friend has magic powers.

Not saying it’ll ruin the game, plus I’m not really interested in co-op for this one, so it’s not a huge deal. But it does seem to be missing the point of what was great about Far Cry 2.

• Skhalt says:

Yeah it definitely feels more like an action movie. The soundtrack is pretty telling about that, they seem to have dropped the ambiance-appropriate music in favour of some stupid electronic music which would not be out of place in a cyberpunk setting.

16. BigMistake says:

Why is there a news post about this when we already have the coop video from E3 (which was longer too)? The only new bit was the competition part of coop :S

17. The Random One says:

Isn’t it weird how co-op modes always follow roughly the same rules?
    There are four characters available. Not three, not five. Six is right out. It seems to be a strange N64 holdout.
    And the characters are always: Fat Man, Weary Black Lady, Audience Surrogate (i.e. Skinny White Dude) and Weird Looking Psycho Dude.

maninahat says:

Weirder still how despite being a Pacific island, none of the coop characters seem to be from the Pacific. I can only assume they avoided it, lest we might confuse team mates for the enemy.

18. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

This is hilarious. I find myself quite uniterested in the game, but why all this hate against co-op all of a sudden? Even if you don’t like it, no one’s forcing you to play. I can remember the days of the distant past when a game with proper co-op was the event of the year, and we were all screaming for more. Personally, I think it’s great that the developers caught on and made more of those games. I can see plenty things wrong with this particular game, but the mere fact that it has a co-op mode is not one of them. Rather the opposite.

19. Raziel_Alex says:

Kill +2 points, HS +5 points. It’s nice to see FC3 continuing to humanize the FPS genre.

20. SuperNashwanPower says:

I really like the weapon sounds – very satisfying.
    Parts of the level design give me nostalgia for FC1 as well. These are good things, though its unlikely I will play co-op.

21. HaVoK308 says:

The character models are not looking too sharp. But, the weapon modeling and handling is pretty authentic. Ballistics? I doubt it, probably perform just like Modern Warfare’s. Amazing how it is becoming hard to tell these games apart. Publishers just don’t get it. You want your game to set itself apart not look exactly the same. Especially if you want the mainstream crowd. They believe the exact opposite, so Farcry 3 will under-perform when compared to its budget.

22. Ucodia says:

Left 4 Cry

23. FerdTheNerd says:

Erm sooo 4 archetypal characters in co op with a single common objective. The bad chick with an attitude. Young, cocky guy with an accent. Old guy with a history, and generic badass man!

Hmm I’ve seen this line-up before somewhere….oh well, i’ll just get back to playing Left 4 Dead :P