Minecraft Updates To 1.3 With Adventure Mode, Trading

By John Walker on August 1st, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Not a very exciting way of depicting adventure, admittedly.

Minecraft updates today – it should be any moment now – with the feature I’ve been waiting for since it first appeared: Adventure Mode. They’re also adding a demo mode, that lets non-registered users play for five days per world in singleplayer, thre’s trading, a better inventory for Creative mode, tweaked how experience is distributed, added the ability to write 50 page books, more buildings for jungles and deserts, and included new blocks based around Emerald, pan-dimensional Ender Chests, a tripwire, and just so many more tweaks and fixes.

When I spoke to Notch last year, back when the game had only made around £30m, rather than what must now be around £100m, we discussed the Adventure Mode, and a number of elements he mentioned are already in there. Experience, achievements, villages. In fact, at the time, Persson described the idea of villagers as “this really silly idea” he wanted to do, places that offered parodies of MMO quests. Now, with this addition, it’s something people will be able to add for themselves.

So what is Adventure Mode? It’s a way of transforming the game in a really significant way – of making it into a place where stories can be told, and thus adventures had. Players won’t be able to destroy or place blocks, which obviously seems quite at odds with the very point of Minecraft, but is of course so you can experience others’ creations. People will be able to craft adventures for other players to have, especially with the aid of the new block that allows designers to program scripted events. This block might give out XP on completion of a task for instance, and of course will have billions of other applications as soon as players get hold of it.

With the addition of trading, too, there’s a meaningful way for players of Adventures to get items without block destruction. Trading for goods, and fighting mobs, will equip you with the stuff you need. The newly added emeralds appear to be the main currency in the game, with villagers offering selling, buying or enchanting, depending on their profession. This will also, apparently, be the only way to get “bottles o’ enchanting” and chainmail armour.

There’s loads more being added here too, and it’s well worth looking through the detailed list on Reddit.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Tatourmi says:

I am very sad that they changed the ender chests into glorified piggy banks… The first version, the one that let anyone take and put things in them from everywhere and every chest seemed the most fun to me and my friends (Want some wood in the mine? Okay, i’ll put some in the chest, and so on and so forth). Now it only serves pvp players who want to protect their stuff, and even then I think it is rather counterproductive as it takes away a great deal of the thrill of pvp, the risk. Sure, they are hard to craft, but hey…

• pakoito says:

Wasn’t there a new “script-trigger” chest some pre-patchnotes ago?

• Tatourmi says:

I have to say that I don’t really understand your point. Are you implying that you may be able to script some chests to work like the old version? Then well sure, maybe, I wouldn’t know, what I do know however is that nobody in our group is going to bother with that.

• pakoito says:

No, I mean you open the chest and a script is triggered (give experience, spawn monsters, trigger text, activate redstone, give random items, give specific items…) so the adventure game can be GMed like a P&P roleplaying game.

EDIT: It comes on the next snapshot http://www.reddit.com/r/edstonehelper/comments/p6llh

A block that can run [1] singleplayer commands [2] when triggered by redstone, intended [3] for adventure maps

• El Stevo says:

Do you and your friends play on a small private server? The new functionality of ender chests is better for any server with a lot of players, not just PVP servers. It would be nice if there were two types of ender chest so we got the best of both worlds. Maybe someone will make a bukkit plugin that adds the old ender chest functionality.

• Smarag says:

No they are not better. There are already lots of easy simple light weighted mods that protect player’s chests. Changing the Ender Chest into this one was unnecessary.

• El Stevo says:

The majority of players on the server I play on disagree with you.

• Artist says:

Agree! My first script after the new bukkit release will be to prevent crafting of that crappy enderchests for our PvP servers!

2. pakoito says:

But Adventure is only accessible using commands, and it’s not complete or there is no real game or level design there.

Also 1.4 comes with Miencraft API, so I’ll have to wait another 6 months to replay Minecraft :(

• Thomas says:

It was my understanding that adventure mode was for people who made “adventure maps”, many of these maps have rules about stuff like not destroying blocks (as much of that can be used to bypass traps and other stuff) now they can finally enforce it.

• Reapy says:

Ah that makes sense… I was going to say removing block building/destroying seems to fundamentally break what is interesting about minecraft. I guess it would make more sense to have more rules about how you can build an construct.

Still, doesn’t motivate me to reinstall since it seems like a shittier version of neverwinter nights, or dwarf fortress (not there is an adventure mode in the works)

3. SonicTitan says:

Truly the game that keeps on giving.

4. The Random One says:

I didn’t like Ender’s Chest, Creeper of the Dead is much better.

5. MuscleHorse says:

I was thinking about jumping back into this – now seems like a perfect time. Could anyone point me towards a list of generally well received mods?

6. dee says:

How has no one linked this?

It is the Best Thing.

7. Urthman says:

I don’t suppose they’re also working on performance? They seem to have abandoned 32 bit Java. My performance seems to get worse and worse with every update.

• fish99 says:

Yeah Minecraft performance just gets worse and worse with every update it seems, plus you can’t run it on 32 bit without dropping the draw distance. Even on 64 bit I’m getting the transparent landscape bug with this latest version.

The game has bigger problems though, like the huge uniform biomes, most of which involve insane amounts of trees (making those biomes pointless), the lack of colour in the game now, blocking being way too effective etc. Most of the changes since 1.6-1.7 time have made the game worse sadly.

8. mbp says:

Has the Minecraft community changed? I went googling for interesting multiplayer servers to visit today and they all seem to have turned into “The Hunger Games”. Whatever happened to building the Starship Enterprise?

• Net_Bastard says:

The community has changed for the worse. While it used to be a few Youtube bandwagoners and mostly people from /v/, it’s now almost completely Youtube bandwagoners. The fanbase is now among among the worst across every form of media. It’s almost as bad as Harry Potter IMO, if it’s not there already. People are trying to squeeze every last bit of the Minecraft fad that’s left.

9. malkav11 says:

Wait, so adventure mode takes out the stuff that made the prospect of adventure mode exciting and special (i.e. the building and crafting)? What the hell.

• Stromko says:

You’re thinking of Survival mode. Adventure mode is something altogether different, and it is there to encourage building and creativity– on the part of map makers.

Personally I’ve never been interested in the ‘adventure’ maps, as indeed I do prefer to build and craft, but I like how they’re listening to user feedback and adding stuff like this that the community can feed on.

What I’m most excited about is the merge of single and multiplayer code. I hope things like Technic and Yogbox will be able to update to full multiplayer compatibility now.

• malkav11 says:

I’m not, though. Survival mode, unless I’m mistaken, was the basic gameplay mode for Minecraft throughout beta and into release. That doesn’t interest me. What was potentially interesting to me was an “adventure mode” where there would be, y’know, goals and RPG stuff, but in the context of Minecraft’s toolset. And apparently it will introduce goals and RPG stuff ( or at least, make it possible for players to do that) while simultaneously disabling Minecraft’s toolset, which was the part that would make me want to play it in Minecraft and not, y’know, Neverwinter Nights or Skyrim or some other mod-friendly RPG. This completely misses the point as far as I’m concerned.

10. Stenchslash says:

I’ve been waiting for a mode like this, I will and I’m sure a lot of people will have a lot of fun with this. Adds a lot more possibilities in this already so moddable game.

11. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Adventure maps have existed for a long time now, but it is nice of them to support their playerbase this way.

12. Adevictus says:

This game has changed so much.. it is all about Minecraft Server Hosting now. Nobody plays single player vanilla anymore.