Rockstar Minimizes Max Payne 3′s DLC

By Nathan Grayson on August 1st, 2012 at 9:00 am.

He died the way he lived: breakdancing, apparently.

[Scene: a darkened alleyway. MAX PAYNE struggles to stand, clearly dazed and more-than-slightly drunk.] Ugh, what happened? How did it get his bad? One moment, I was riding high in Brazil and taking the nearest highway exit onto easy street. And the next…? My sales had gone south, and I’d swerved into the seedy gutter of an industry where three million shipped units is barely even good for a pack of cigarettes and a cheap bottle of booze. And now I’m practically bleeding DLC, digging my way out of one grave and right into another. Hah,  I guess the joke’s on me – like a seagull with two fully cooked turkeys for wings flying against the crashing waves of inevitability. You know what I mean?

So yes, Max Payne 3′s now consolidated its plan for a total of six paid DLC packs down to four, with Local Justice – which has been available on consoles since the beginning of July – making its PC debut on August 9 for a reduced price of $5.99. September, meanwhile, will see the Hostage Negotiation pack roll out, while both Painful Memories and Deathmatch Made In Heaven will drop in October – all of which will run you $9.99. Content from previously announced packs New York Minute (which includes co-op) and Trickle Down Economics will now be sprinkled among the remaining DLC.

If, however, not spending money is more up your conveniently cover-laden alley, Rockstar’s also tossing a freebie your way in the form of the Disorganized Crime pack – which includes the Hoboken Rooftops map and fun bits and bobs for Score Attack like explosive rounds and a headshots-only mode. Sounds even more painful than what’s already on the table – which seems to suggest that Max Payne had, in fact, previously not doled out sufficient suffering for it to truly be considered maximum. Unless, of course, he’s simply raising the bar – taking the maximum level of pain to new heights.

We may never find out. What I very much plan to set my hard-boiled sleuthing skills to, however, is the effect this will have on Max Payne 3′s Rockstar Pass. As Rockstar points out, the pass still grants players access to all the same content at a 35 percent discount, but it is kind of a switcheroo. I doubt it was done with ill intentions, but it’s still a bit disturbing that season passes essentially grant publishers the power to pull the rug out from beneath content we already spent money on - especially when angry customers take issue with that and Rockstar responds by saying “There’s no such thing as a purchase agreement as you describe.” Again, the monetary bottom line shakes out the same way this time around, but it’s still food for thought.

, , .

1. dsi1 says:

Ha Ha, DLC!

• JoeGuy says:

Hahahahah…. I know right. Why would anybody think you would get all the DLC that was supposedly going to be made just because you paid for it and where assured it was happening. What a bunch of dime store suckers.

• eks says:

There is probably a lesson in here somewhere.

• RoAE says:

Be realistic?

• scatterbrainless says:

and expect reality to bend to the financial interests of large companies, retroactively erasing the “reality” of your agreed purchase.

• beetle says:

Recognize that, when purchasing something that doesn’t yet exist, there is a risk that it may never exist.

Edit: It’s not like large corporations have a monopoly on broken promises.

• Ultra-Humanite says:

I know you are trying to be sarcastic, but yes, they are dime store suckers.

2. Mechorpheus says:

This makes me hopeful that Remedy can somehow get the rights back, do a proper Max Payne sequal. I can see it now. ‘…. And then I was awake, it was all a dream.’

• Njordsk says:

It was a real MP sequel, wheter you like it or not.

And a great one on top of that.

• NightShift says:

I’d agree if it wasn’t for the intrusive cutscenes that never wanted to skip.

• DrGonzo says:

I would have agreed except for the fact it wasn’t at all. It was completely different feeling in almost everyway. It came across as obnoxious and irritating, flashing lights and characters from GTA.

The shooting was actually solid, but I didn’t get to do it for more than 4 seconds at a time. Unfortunately I wanted to play the game, the developers wanted me to watch a film.

My biggest worry is how much otherwise intelligent people are liking this fairly mediocre and bland game. I hope we don’t get a 4th to even further ruin the Max Payne franchise, along with the film.

• Andy`` says:

Well I don’t like it so I’m going to disagree with your supposed fact.

The way the character acts and the way he’s described is almost a mirror of how I feel about that game. To warp a Maxy quote slightly, “a bad caricature of a better game”. Bad writing, bad character design (not just Max, everybody), bad level design, weird bugs (possibly one-offs but utterly strange things to happen), odd weapon distribution, lack of feedback from actions, I don’t know where the list ends. I had couple of good moments and the odd laugh, and I was happy to see a favela that wasn’t just cloned boxes for shooting between (hi Call of Duty), but it wasn’t enough to stop me spending the entire game in a state of irritation.

Another Max Payne game doesn’t necessarily need to ignore this one but I don’t think you could roll a sequel off Max Payne 3 all that easily by including any of the events of that game – its so compartmentalised and standalone you’d be better off not worrying about it, and at most giving it the kind of vague inconsequential references that MP3 felt its predecessors deserved. Pretending it never happened would probably give very similar results to accepting it did happen. And I would so much love another attempt by Remedy, because at this point I’m convinced Rockstar are bad at making games and they shouldn’t have touched this.

Maybe I’m just bitter at Rockstar. Maybe I’m just generally bitter, but it in no way surprises me that they’d make a mess of their DLC plans seeing as I don’t think they care all that much about this game or the franchise it’s from anyway.

• tattertech says:

I wish I could agree. I wanted to like it, but the cover system emphasis seemed to steal a lot of the fun from old Max Payne style AND the levels were so frustratingly set up… Run 5 feet, cutscene, set piece fight with 10 guys, run 5 feet, cutscene, set piece fight wtih 12 guys, run 5 feet, etc.

Max Payne was always a pretty linear experience, but this approach was so immersion breaking for me. So much time was spent “Oh, you want me to do this part? No cutscene? Okay, if you’re sure… oh no, never mind, you want to show me killing these guys in a cutscene instead of letting me play. Okay.”

• djbriandamage says:

Nah. It was a pretty good game but it was in no way a Max Payne game. The protagonist coulda been anybody.

• fish99 says:

What exactly qualifies it to be a ‘real’ MP sequel when the setting has changed, the main character has changed beyond recognition, the story doesn’t fit with the other games, the gameplay has been largely ruined (cover mechanics, constant interruption by cut scenes), and none of the people who wrote MP1/2 were involved? You’re basically saying it’s a real sequel just because it’s called Max Payne.

• Jason Moyer says:

I’d rather get more Alan Wake games than more Max Payne stuff.

• djbriandamage says:

I’d rather get more Sam Lake stuff than more Dan Houser stuff.

• DrGonzo says:

I agree with that. Alan Wake felt like a Max Payne sequel, Max Payne 3 didn’t. I quite enjoyed Alan Wake for all it’s flaws. Max Payne made me want to scream every time a new cutscene began.

3. TheApologist says:

If three million in sales is insufficient, your business model is insufficient.

• BooleanBob says:

Shipped =/= sold. If the press releases are talking in terms of units shipped, that usually means sales were worse than expected.

This season pass nonsense (piled alongside all sorts of other DLC nonsense) will only make more and more people resolve to wait a year on new releases and pick up the content-complete version at an inevitable steep discount on Steam.

• TheApologist says:

Fair point – but what might we expect the ratio of shipped/sold to be. I understand it will vary, but would it seem likely that they’ve sold over a million copies?

• Baines says:

Everyone thinks their next game is going to be a blockbuster, and budgets accordingly. Which is why some companies pretty much hemorrhage money while selling millions, because they spent money based on the idea that it would sell even more than it did.

I wonder if these plans for tons of DLC will make things worse, or if we’ll just see more cases of announced DLC being cut back when a title “underperforms.” (When companies are overestimating their game sales, they are presumably also overestimating their DLC sales.)

4. Alexander Norris says:

It’s a shame about the DLC map packs and the horrid P2P netcode and terrible balance in the multiplayer, because the single-player is still my GotY 2012. I wish they’d not bothered with the adversarial multiplayer at all and just had co-op horde mode instead. :(

• Phinor says:

Since we’re dreaming here, I wish they hadn’t done any multiplayer at all and had sold the game for half the price. Actually, I wish most games were done that way.

Fifteen minutes was enough MP3 multiplayer for me. Waste of time and resources.

• Jnx says:

I thought the multiplayer was “fun enough for a while”. P2P MP is never going to last though, and it most certainly won’t sell DLC. With every game it seems that publishers / devs are getting more and more stupid and or delusional. In case someone with influence is reading this, here are a few tips:

1. Competitive multiplayer without dedicated servers will not maintain necessary population.
      2. Multiplayer without sufficient population is dead multiplayer.
      3. Dead multiplayer doesn’t sell DLC.

and this next tip costs you five bucks:

4. Mods keep games alive and selling.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

It`s a sad world when EA is the sanest with regards to shoehorned-in multiplayer. They could have followed ME3`s example and made the mappacks free, but nooo, we must acquire even more money from preposterously overpriced DLC even though it will further fracture the community. What a bunch of insufferable money-grubbing twits.

5. chickenhawk says:

So lets punish the buyer costumer.. It’s there fault they believe on us. So cute and stupid!

“There’s no such thing as a purchase agreement as you describe.”? If only i had the money to shove those words into someplace..

• WJonathan says:

Punish the costumer? I thought the characters were very well dressed, myself.

• YourMessageHere says:

Max Payne games are definitely high on the list of games for which the costumier should be punished. In the first one, there was that leopard-print waistcoat – I mean really, whut? This one has not only the leopard-print tie to continue the trend, but revolting hawaiian shirts too. I assume someone thought it would be hilarious to make Max the worst-dressed modern day protagonist ever, but I can’t quite work out why.

6. Wodge says:

I remember a time when games shipped with loads of content, and you got more free content in the patches. Now we’re expected to pay 12 quid for 5 maps (looking at you, Call of Duty) which brings the total number of maps to still far less than Q3A or UT shipped with.

Bloody Nonsense.

• fish99 says:

Pity most of us are too dumb to just not buy them.

• SelfEsteemFund says:

Oh how times have changed. I just booted UT2004 & there are still more people playing than several ‘modern’ titles combined, this is an 8 year old game during the middle of the day (on a Thursday) ha.

I’m stating the obvious here but the issue only lies with the consumer, they’re at fault.. if they continue to purchase inferior content at silly rates then the publishers will continue to flog that content. Luckily this does not affect me personally as I just avoid any game that mentions ‘DLC’.

7. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

This sold poorly it only sold 400,00 in US in 1st month on PS3/X360 combined. Not surprised when its 60% unskippable cutscenes.

• Totally heterosexual says:

It’s only about 40% and you can skip roughly half of them.

I MADE A CHART ABOUT THIS.

• PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

40% too much for me Rockstar have some very juvenille untalented people making them same crew as the god awful GTA4 ones & guess what GTA5 will be full of them as well thats another hefty disc space saver for me.

• Totally heterosexual says:

Juvenille

• DrGonzo says:

GTA 4 had excellent cutscenes, script and acting I thought. Really enjoyed it, thing is. It’s just not Max Payne, and doesn’t suit it.

8. MeestaNob says:

Cant wait for the GotY/complete/gee wiz version with everything so I don’t have to arse about with DLC.

9. Guvornator says:

It’s just another reason to not buy things the second they come out. Buying games on the day of release is a mugs game – in pretty much all cases it’ll be cheaper in less than 6 months, plus the developers might have actually, y know, FINISHED IT by then…I’d estimate I’ve saved over £300 on games I’ve bought this year alone just by being patient.

10. phenom_x8 says:

Thats made me sad. I love this 3rd Max very much. The bullet time (although a little different than the previous Max) are very satisfying due to added physics , meanwhile from the presentation style, its trully shows it’s class (and value) as an AAA game (IMO, its trully appropriate to call this AAA than COD or BF3 from its single player mode). I never felt this game was cheapened at all, it’s feel glorious than any other AAA game recently.
    I still died many times due to my own reckless by not saving any bullet nor painkiller (like the 2 other max game I’ve played before). The cutscene?? Man, there’s a lot of them. But, they’re not as annoying as I predicted because of the detail rockstar given (watch how max brought his 2 handed weapon, he will switched it to one handed as soon as he entering cutscene without throwing away his previous 2 handed weapon), It’s seamless and enjoy to watch.You can even watch some of the bad guy giving up by raise their hand and throwing away his weapon when he’s just alone(when all of his friend died). Is there any AAA game that gives that much detail recently??

11. overflow says:

im really looking forward to max payne 3 but i cant find any time right now. And with all the dlc thats coming i guess i’ll get the GOTY or Complete Edition from steam at the christmas sale for 50-75% off

12. abandonhope says:

So, if the total price for the DLC is now roughly $36 (if you buy Local Justice during the first week after launch), 35% off would be $23.40, not $30. The discount now stands at more like 17% off, which is kind of worthless. Hopefully I have the facts straight here; I’m not interested enough to care all that much.

13. RegisteredUser says:

Bit ironic to de-incentivize people from buying your product right away, by offering piecemeal DLC afterwards that people in turn will then wait to have completely rolled out, first, in order to compensate not getting enough initial sales..

Maybe if they realized that they’re just shooting themselves in the foot constantly with everything they do..
    LOL who am I kidding.
    I am sure in their mind it all makes sense.

14. Mordsung says:

I found little to nothing interesting in the multiplayer, but I’ve played through the story 3 times since I bought it during the Steam Summer Sale.

It’s one of the best single player action games I’ve played in a long time.

15. Shooop says:

I’m still most surprised that people play Max Payne’s multiplayer.