Those Gosh-Darn Triads Are Rising Again

By Alec Meer on August 2nd, 2012 at 9:32 pm.

No caption for you, because of that nasty thing you said last week

Jim? John? Adam? Are you guys OK? Are you there? Are you conscious? Are you… are you still alive? Oh God. Oh God.

There’s no other reason I can think of for why they didn’t post about the Rise of the Triad remake/sequel, which we had been forewarned would be unveiled at QuakeCon today. If it wasn’t that then, well, they WON’T BE ALIVE FOR LONG WILL THEY. Anyway, while I go sharpen my best machete, let me break from what’s supposed to be my day off by sharing with you that, yes, olden hyper-gory Apogee FPS Rise of the Triad is indeed to return.

Here’s the key details: semi-remake/embiggening, Unreal Engine 3, developed by one Interceptor Entertainment and published by a company that’s calling itself Apogee, has most of the original weapons and modes, map and mod creator, out on Steam later this year. Looks a little bit like this:

So, the Apogee thing. Apogee became 3D Realms (sort of – it’s complicated/boring) but in the wake of 3DR’s closure a couple of years ago (due to spending far too much on making what turned out to be an insufferable game) a separate company, Apogee Software LLC licensed the brand.

Some 3DR bigwigs, including Broussard and Miller, are involved in the new company (actually formed in 2008, and has previously published some mobile Duke ports/spin-offs) but apparently don’t have an active management role. Thanks, Wikipedia.

Rise of the Triad, then, doesn’t appear to involve any of the original devs, with Interceptor being a relatively young studio hailing from Denmark. Interceptor are in theory also working on an Unreal 3-based remake of Duke 3D. Who would have thought there’d be such a link between Texas and Denmark?

Oh look it’s late, it’s supposed to be my day off and I’m quite enjoying watching the Olympics, so I’m just going to do the naughty thing and end the post this way:

– Step into the shoes of the H.U.N.T. (High-Risk United Nations Taskforce) with five unique characters, each with different play styles.
- Blast through over 20 of levels of explosive single-player action.
- Unique multiplayer maps bring back all the fun and excitement of classic ROTT.
- The full arsenal of over-the top weapons is back, including the Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile, Drunk Missile and, of course, the Excalibat!
- The maniacal modes return, too, with God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone’s favorite, Dog mode!
- Build your own levels, mods and share them with Valve’s Steamworks.
- Offline single-player and multiplayer allows for instant action.
- Find tons of secrets, collectables, special events and hidden areas to explore.
- Get more than 100 achievements to add to your score, which is tracked on our worldwide leaderboard and stat-tracking system.
- ROTT is bloodier and more ludicrous than ever, with full character and enemy dismemberment.
- The iconic original soundtrack has been completely re-forged in the fires of heavy metal!
- Nostalgia abounds with the option to play with all the original sounds and music.
- Built on fully-licensed Unreal Engine 3 technology, ROTT will run on low-end PCs and push high-end PCs to their limits!

The sterling Mr Grayson is at QuakeCon as we speak, so hopefully we’ll have more of our own things to say about the ROTT rebirth very soon.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Stense says:

That offline single player instant action is now a bullet point in a marketing blurb these days is irritating. Still, I have fond memories of the original so I’m sure I’ll keep an eye on this.

• tambjo says:

I highly recommend this product because i have used it and it is displaying TV channels with awesome quality in my PC and laptop and it is also cheap.
      You can get 1000′s of TV Channels on Your PC or laptop for 5$ .Visit satellitetelevisionlive

2. SirKicksalot says:

Joe Siegler works at Interceptor. He made some ROTT maps.

• Sic says:

That’s pretty damn cool.

Is he hanging out at their forums, or what?

3. therealspratt says:

I assume it’s safe to presume that those voice clips are temporary place holders.

• therealspratt says:

Otherwise the game looks pretty darn interesting!

• asdfmnb14 says:

Promotions! 30% discount! http://imaidu.com/mmbz
        Cool Uniform style slim short sleeve V-neck men’s T-shirt

List Price: $ 30.84
        Susuc Price: $ 21.59

• bakaohki says:

You mean H.U.N.T. uniforms, don’t you? Oh gee, now, where’s my credit card?!

• Mad Hamish says:

They are the original sounds if I am remembering correctly. The “no, please. Don’t shoot!” definitely is. It says there keeping them for nostalgia mode. As long as it has drunk missiles it’s cool with me.

4. Flint says:

Sounded great until the bit about replacing the soundtrack with some metal faffle.

Nonetheless, hell yes.

• Madzack says:

It could be worse. They would have remixed it into dubstep.

• SirKicksalot says:

You can play with the original sounds and music

• LionsPhil says:

Given the trailer, it’s not too bad a go at it.

• Grey Ganado says:

To be fair the original soundtrack, at least the songs I know, is the chiptune equivalent of metal.

• alundra says:

I fainted when I read they were defecating on the original soundtrack with a heavy metal monstrosity, since I was out cold I initially couldn’t read the next paragraph about having the OST in all it’s glory in there.

• particlese says:

Haha, glad to see so much love for the original’s soundtrack here!

My favorite track by far, Havana Smooth, shows some of Lee Jackson’s marching band influence:

Fairly epic for MIDI, and all-around awesome anyway, I think. Radagio/Adagio, You Suck, and Fish Polka are about tied for second place in my mind. Ah, so many fond memories!

5. dirtrobot says:

I couldn’t help but cackle when I saw the flame wall launched. Old habits die hard. Will there be footsteps sounds as I fly in the air, I wonder?

6. InternetBatman says:

It’s not a proper remake unless eyeballs splatter on the scene. Unless I missed that.

7. int says:

YEEEEEEEEEEES!

DOG MODE!

8. Kevin Costner says:

Fuck yeah! I love the 90′s.

9. Sigvatr says:

I’m sorry guys but this is going to be terrible, and you know I am right.

• Marijn says:

Yep. This is going to be Duke Nukem Forever and Hard Reset all over again. Besides, the original had shit level design cynically masked by copious amounts of ultra-violence (kind of like one of the other “classics” from that era, Shadow Warrior).

• MikoSquiz says:

Hey, Shadow Warrior wasn’t that bad of a game. Rise of the Triads, though fun for brief periods, was.

• Deadly Habit says:

Hard Reset was great and just recently got a free addon. What pipe have you been smoking?

• Marijn says:

I’m glad you enjoyed it. What I meant to say that the game didn’t (and honestly, couldn’t) live up to the hype that RPS’ers generated, solely on the basis of it being a PC EXLUSIEV!!!!! In this case, the modern version will never live up to the expectations of the people who played the game back when they didn’t have any critical faculties to speak of (because they were 12 years old).

• AlienMind says:

Yeah, looks like shit can’t see any gameplay because of the blurring effects.
      But why do I care, it sure comes out under a layer of DRM which I won’t touch.

10. Trent Hawkins says:

holy shit that awesome!

By far, my favorite FPS.

Though really the music didn’t need re-mixing, just some re-sampling.

11. Kaira- says:

>Offline single-player

Truly we live in the future.

• Gap Gen says:

>DRM requires internet connection at all times.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Nice try, Future Mans! But we know through Science(TM) that it is impossible for an electronical game to have less than 2 players.

12. Shadram says:

Those levels are nowhere near tall enough. Every room in RotT was 3 storeys high. I’m glad they kept the tokens and flying pads, though. And there better be a giant nazi snake boss.

• Filip says:

The flying pads hover circles are for some reason the main thing I remember from this game. They seemed really annoying at the time but for some reason I felt comforted when I saw one in the video. Let’s hope they go crazy on gibs and flying pads.

13. Nahkatakkimies says:

Rise of the Triad? Why not Shadow Warrior?

14. kyynis says:

Absolutely brilliant! I hope more classic Apogee franchises get the same treatment. Monster Bash HD? Cosmo’s Cosmic Adventure Redux? Bio Menace Rearmed?

• Flint says:

I’d be way more than happy to just get their platformer catalogue re-released in their original form in the first place.

15. Gap Gen says:

I don’t get it. What’s the joke?

16. DrScuttles says:

My initial fear was that ROTT was coming back dark, gritty and serious. Thankfully that doesn’t seem to be the case. And there seems to be plenty of right angles in the level design, which is nice.

17. shagen454 says:

ROTT was an awesome modem to modem game along with Duke Nukem and DOOM 2. Loved bloody skulls defying gravity and flying at your face!

18. Raziel_Alex says:

The memories…

19. c-Row says:

That’s supposed to be the Unreal Engine 3? Woah… judging from that video, even DNF gives it a run for its money.

20. Phantoon says:

I seeeee you…

21. Maxheadroom says:

Wow this brings back memories!

It’s ‘god mode’ cheat/hack, rather than just making you invincible, actually turned you into a god and you could insta-kill every enemy on screen just with a wave of your hand

I hope they keep that in :)

22. Urthman says:

Still looks too serious and realistic for ROTT.

23. JackDandy says:

Biggest surprise I’ve had in a while now.

Damn. This actually looks pretty good.

24. Urthman says:

The Dark Knight
    The Roman Empire
    The Planet of the Apes
    The Triad

25. TrueBlue says:

I don’t know what I saw exactly, nor what’s all about, but I tell ya, wouldn’t mind being trapped with it on a lone dark creepy looking corridor with no way out.

With that said take my money and let me whisper sweet things to you, my cute devilish racist bastard.

26. Spacewalk says:

EGADS!

27. Lemming says:

Why do I feel like they are just selling us Return to Castle Wolfenstein again with the Chinese replacing the Nazis?

28. noom says:

Man… I am so conflicted over that trailer…

29. Hicks233 says:

Urghhh soundtrack and Steamworkshop… no thanks.

Dosbox and the original it is then.

30. JiminyJickers says:

I always play the original round about Christmas time to get the festive music. Looking forward to this remake.

31. Quinnbeast says:

A ROTT post and no “Ludicrous Gibs!” reference???

• particlese says:

It is Alec’s day off from pun-making, after all, and that territory is technically covered by the press release thingy!

32. MadTinkerer says:

Neat! I wonder if they’ll make a 3D remake of Duke Nukem?

Oh wait…

33. TAPETRVE says:

Neat. They should ramp up the colour saturation and contrast, though. The original may have been all brown and grey (as is the fad nowadays), but it was rather highly saturated, not as drab and today’s shooters.

34. particlese says:

AGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! YYYYYES!!!! When the heck did this happen?! I hadn’t heard anything about it since that vague announcement years ago! My nostalgia meter has just exploded, and right after I got a bigger one because of that NiGHTS announcement.

That trailer excited me more way more than most game trailers do, but it left me hoping the music wouldn’t be metalized in-game. Then I read ye newe press release:
    “The iconic original soundtrack has been completely re-forged in the fires of heavy metal!”
    Aaaand I died. Here, guys, have this severed middle-finger-hand.

Then my corpse-eyes rebooted me upon seeing:
    “Nostalgia abounds with the option to play with all the original sounds and music.”
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Really, the music was a huge thing for me in the original — I still listen to it sometimes and get it stuck in my head other times. It could be awesome and totally appropriate if the metal was over-the-top symphonic stuff like some of Rhapsody’s, but this flavour just doesn’t seem right, methinks. Music is hugely subjective, though, so thank you, Interceptor, very much for that Nostalgia mode! And I’m hoping the trailer’s one-liners are also part of that switch, but if not, there’s:
    “Build your own levels, mods and share them with Valve’s Steamworks.”
    Woohoo!!!

:D Time to round up those 100+ cheat codes rattling around in my head.

• PoulWrist says:

Guess you missed the part where it says it allows you to play with the original soundtrack :p

35. imperialus says:

Did my eyes deceive me or was there a freaking rocket jump at around 1:10ish?

36. Gwilym says:

Videogame trailer opens with murder of unarmed begging man. This is ‘cool.’ Fuck 2012.

And yes, I’ve played the original, and I know the reference, and fuck 2012.

• Marijn says:

Yes, but in this case, I guess it would be better to say “Fuck 1995″. This game only thinks it can pull this shit (or indeed, can only justify its existence) by cynically hiding behind the nostalgia factor (like Duke Nukem Forever and the The Expendables films).

• chackosan says:

It’s all the Mayans’ fault.

• sonofsanta says:

I fear I agree; what was funny and schlocky in a sprite-based 90s shooter is suddenly uncomfortable and distasteful in UE3. This is not necessarily just related to my personal shift from early-teens to late-twenties either.

37. Vagrant says:

Am I sensing an RPS Quakecon meetup? And by that I mean other people to get drunk with so I feel less weird?

38. max pain says:

Refreshing!

39. BooleanBob says:

But will it have health pickups you can heat up with explosions?

40. libdab says:

To come anywhere near the original, it requires two things: 1) Eyeballs occasionally dripping down from above, and 2) Spinning bladey things that reduce NPCs to a widely spreading pool of giblets.

• soldant says:

Well they have the spinning blades, so that’s a start. Still, they’re going to get flamed to hell if this doesn’t work. Asbestos armour. Oh so itchy!

41. mikmanner says:

Is the original worth checking out? This trailer makes it look rubbish, though I totally missed the first by about a year or two when I got my first PC.

• PoulWrist says:

Not really. It’s more of a nostalgia thing from back when ultra violence in itself was enough reason to play a game. The level design is horrible, the graphics dull, but the violence and powerups is excellent. Overall, rott wasn’t a very good game, and I’m rather amazed to see people here laud it so much. And this is coming from someone whos first view of the game was on a running demo in a storefront where I kept returning to look at it because of the grotesque violence that beat out even Doom. Gameplay though, Doom is far superior. It’s on GOG.com if you want to try it.

• Spacewalk says:

If you do end up checking out the original I’d recommend sticking with the Extreme levels because they are much better than the stock levels. Quite difficult though, if I had to compare the difficulty levels it would be like comparing Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 to Super Mario Bros. but you’d have to have played SMB2 to understand my comparison.

42. Demievil says:

I loved ROTT

43. RedViv says:

Those gibs are not nearly ludicrous enough. They only measure 0.28 Fallouts, at most. I demand Zenimax tell their developers to please us! Those mere 0.21 Fallouts that Fallout 3 achieved were bad enough already!

44. somnolentsurfer says:

I only played the shareware version of the original, and not very much of that, but I’m sure I remember it being in colour.

45. MistyMike says:

Bitte nein!

46. SuperNashwanPower says:

Its weird, but for some reason the video seems to be trying very hard not to show any close-up faces. Only one is at 0:48, and even thats behind some splats. How weird. Maybe they are all embarrassed?

47. scorpion_wins says:

So now we just need remakes of BLOOD and Hexen.

48. Bobby Oxygen says:

Enemies of metal, your death is our reward.

Seriously, though. That version of Fast Way sounds incredible, but haters gonna hate I suppose.

49. RegisteredUser says:

I’m quite worried its going to be cheaply made and buggy, but then again..its ROTT. :p

Actually one of the few games back then I didn’t obsessively play through(unlike the DOOMs and BLOODs), wo while I am very glad that someone is bringing back oldschool gore and messyness, I am very skeptical about whether the final product will feel “right”.