Dishonored Voice Cast Revealed: Sarandon! Dourif! Fisher!

By Jim Rossignol on August 3rd, 2012 at 3:19 pm.

Blimey, this is a cast and a half. Let’s just plunge right in: Susan Sarandon will be playing, er, “Granny Rags”, while the extraordinary Brad Dourif makes mouth noises for inventor Piero, creator of that scary mask worn by the game’s protagonist, Corvo. Slightly more bizarrely, Bethesda inform us that Carrie Fisher “can be heard broadcasting government propaganda over loudspeakers throughout the city of Dunwall, where the game is set.”

Then there’s John “Mad Men” Slattery as Admiral Havelock, and Michael “All Those Movies” Madsen as Daud, a mysterious assassin. Also: Chloë Grace Moretz from Kick-Ass playing “young Lady Emily”, while the incalculably lovely Lena Headey joins the cast as Calista, Emily’s caretaker.

Also the chap who does the score for Dexter, Daniel Licht, is doing the music. Strong.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. The_B says:

And when Jim says the guy who does the score for Dexter, he actually means John’s cat. He basically refuses to be stroked without a stirring orchestral backing.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

That said, the Dexter score would actually be a great soundtrack for a lazy scheming cat. I’m not saying John Walker’s cat is a lazy scheming furball, I’m saying that all cats are.

• tambjo says:

I highly recommend this product because i have used it and it is displaying TV channels with awesome quality in my PC and laptop and it is also cheap.
      You can get 1000′s of TV Channels on Your PC or laptop for 5$ .Visit satellitetelevisionlive

• Unaco says:

I highly recommend RPS bring back the ‘Report’ button, under comments… so we can report spam like this.

• Kadayi says:

I second that motion.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

I oppose this on the grounds that the sheer randomness of that post actively adds to the inherent hilarity of this thread. It is my belief that spambots should be allowd to live, but only as long as they are funny. Once they show the slightest hint of un-funny-ness, it`s off with their (metaphorical, phony link-spewing) heads.

2. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

So who’s the voice actor for the Outsider?

• Snidesworth says:

No idea, but I swear I’ve heard his voice in a Thief game before.

• Unaco says:

Billy Lush. He was in Generation Kill, and the remake of StrawDogs from last year, as well as some voice work for Hitman Absolution. Aside from that, no other video game voice work though.

3. Hodge says:

So, do you need to buy it from four different places to get them all?

(Sorry.)

• DClark says:

Don’t be sorry – I know the retailer garbage has turned me from a day one purchaser to a ‘when they bundle the stuff together into a GOTY edition’ purchaser.

Shame on Bethesda’s marketing department, using up all the goodwill Bethesda’s developers have earned.

4. coldvvvave says:

No Udo Kir?

5. Anthile says:

Needs a staring lenses tag. That said, gotta suck to live with a permanent o_O face.

6. 69stabcat says:

Brian Cranston should play everybody else

• SkittleDiddler says:

Bryan Cranston shoud have his own video game:

“Bryan Cranston: The Awesomeness”.

• Sheng-ji says:

If I could be any famous actor, I’d be him. If I could be anyone, I’d be him. Brian Blessed comes a distant second.

• Raziel_Alex says:

Or Nolan North could play everyone else.

7. Sardonic says:

What no Steve Blum? It’s not a mainstream western game without Steve Blum.

8. Yosharian says:

Wow that is an amazing lineup, I love all those actors/actresses =p

Now I know why triple A titles have such huge budgets

9. Alec Meer says:

Oh, look at Jim revealing his secret celebrity crush there.

• Milos says:

Jim and Cersei sitting in a tree

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Oh god, not another war please. Certainly not related to another flower, if at all possible.

*sigh* Even I find that pun incomprehensible.

10. Gnoupi says:

Aaaaaand I’m not sleeping tonight.

11. Runs With Foxes says:

Good emotional potential in this cast.

12. BreadBitten says:

So what, another silent protagonist?

• Unaco says:

No. He’s being voiced by (and his model is based on) Josh Holloway.

13. Shazbut says:

I also think Brad Dourif is amazing.

• DrScuttles says:

I was going to post something identical to that, but as you already have, allow me to simply concur from the sidelines. Don’t think I could have made it all the way through Wild Blue Yonder had he not been in it.

• Shazbut says:

He was the crutch that got me through Alien Resurrection. Winona Ryder was the group of teenagers who were kicking my crutch out of my hand and spitting at me as I tried to get back up off the floor.

14. Paul says:

Amazing lineup, but I kind of think unknown actors could be amazing too and for a fraction of a cost, which could be put towards, you know, the actual game.

• Crimsoneer says:

You say that, but voice acting in games is often terribad…

• Unaco says:

Money doesn’t necessarily make a good game. It’s talent that does that.

• ArcaneSaint says:

Money put towards ensuring they get good quality voice acting in their game doesn’t count as money put toward the game? Huh, so the money they spent on voicing games like Mass Effect, Bastion, L.A. Noire, [title here], was all just a waste of money? Those games would have been better if all voices were silent, text-only voices?

Money spent on getting good voice actors to improve the overall quality of the game is still money put towards the game you know. And sure, perhaps there are unknown actors out there with a golden voice. But why take that risk, if for a slightly larger amount of money they can work with actors whose level of quality is known/assured?

• Runs With Foxes says:

I’m sure one of the reasons for poor voice acting is not the actors but the directors. It sounds like it’s often the writers or other miscellaneous developers handling things in the recording studio, even if they have no experience working with actors.

And voice acting in a videogame is supposedly the job from hell. After reading the 800th context-less line the greatest actor in the world is probably ready to strangle someone.

• Runs With Foxes says:

(voice acting is a fucking cancer on this medium btw but whatevs)

• Sheng-ji says:

What? Seriously, that need more explanation. You don’t think communication via speech has a place in games?

• Unaco says:

Really? Another cancer killing videogames to add to the list, alongside…

Jennifer Hepler, or women in general.
            DLC.
            Brazilians.
            Books.
            Dudebros.
            Graphics.
            Lack of graphics.
            And Actual Cancer.

It’s a miracle video gaming is still alive… hobbling along there.

• Sheng-ji says:

Hehehe @ Unaco – have you seen the daily fail’s list of things that give you cancer. I kid you not, both being a man and being a woman are both on there.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

@Unaco The cancer that is killing videogames is the cancer that is killing videogames.

• Arglebargle says:

This. Voice actors are brought in in four hour blocks, are rushed through the lines, which are cold reads with no context supplied. Some of them have no interest in the game other than as an easy job. As stated, the recordings are often helmed by people with no experiance in acting, and no appreciation for nuances in performance.

It makes it more impressive when they do manage to get decent performances out. All hail Mordin Solus!

• Skhalt says:

Yeah, I’m sure all those big names accepted the job for only a “slightly larger amount of money”.

• Veracity says:

I don’t think there’s a correlation between celebrity VA* and good performance at all, and if there is it might be negative. Didn’t RPS run (or link, I dunno) an article a year or two back interviewing folk about how generally horrible it is compared to other acting gigs even in the best cases? The handful of people known for being reliable voice actors are versatile (usually; they might alternatively be Mary McGlynn) and have a proven record coping with the nasty constraints of the medium.

*celebrity for something other than VA, like being a movie actor or a bald Yorkshireman

15. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Too bad they forgot to include a 2012 era graphics look so guess that leaves a LOT of VO talent budget! I know few PC gamers who are looking forward to this game or have any desire to buy it even in a Steam 75% sale Bethesda get 10/10 for PR to make it appear the opposite but come autumn I expect this to be RAGE2 in terms of low sales numbers.

• Jim Rossignol says:

“I expect this to be RAGE2 in terms of low sales numbers.”

I think you may be disappointed there.

• PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Hmm Bethesda marketing budget is obviously being well spent on RPS & or they got you hook/line/sinker with the PR next you will be telling us Bioshock Infinite is another must buy game!

• The Random One says:

This is a dire accusation, Jim. Why would you recommend people buy a game that doesn’t have THE MOST GRAPHICS if you weren’t on Bethesda’s pocket? His story has no holes, while yours is a bloody sieve.

• Totally heterosexual says:

GRAPHICS MAKE A GAME GOOD

YOU JUST BIASED

• Crimsoneer says:

God, your kind infuriate me. Seriously, if I’m ever dictator of the world, people with names like PC GAMER 4 LIFE will be first up against the wall. The wall made of spikes and spiders.

• ResonanceCascade says:

This post is so silly.

• pilouuuu says:

Yeah, because good graphics can save a bad game. But good graphics is a very subjective thing. What are 2012 graphics? Are brown and grey graphics still in?

I’d much more play a game with great art direction and stylized graphics instead of another realistic looking FPS.

It’s because of people like you that all games look the same.

• Zern says:

Games using stylized art also don’t age as badly as realistic games. Just look at something like Psychonauts.

16. Radiant says:

In a west end town of Dunwall.
    The east end boys and west end girls.

17. Radiant says:

Also Lena Headey forever squinting minx.

18. SkittleDiddler says:

Granny Rags better be a GILF.

19. webwielder says:

No Stephen Russell, no sale.

• Sheng-ji says:

One imagines he’s a little busy at the moment, given that Thief 4 is in production. Squeeeeeeee!

And would you really want Garrett to be in a game that wasn’t Thief?

• webwielder says:

He was in Arx Fatalis and Skyrim. He’s a long way from overexploitation, though.

• Sheng-ji says:

Sorry, I did assume you meant you wanted him to voice the main protagonist.

I have to admit, I’d love it if Benny was in there as a hapless guard. I wouldn’t say no sale if he wasn’t though, that just seems a bit daft to me.

20. brulleks says:

Tsk. Chloe Moretz really should be getting top billing out of that lot, with the possible exception of Dourif.

• HothMonster says:

I can only hope that Lady Emily is inspired by Jack’s nemesis.

21. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Staring lenses tag?

22. Shazbut says:

I am totally an actor. Hire me you idiots! I don’t cost as much as Susan Sarandon.

Considering the amount of great voice actors I know who would work for peanuts, it amazes me that anything ever has bad voice acting, let alone most things.

23. Burning Man says:

Considering this: Dawn of War II’s Voice Actors and Fable 3′s star studded voice cast and…. not so great results (Simon Pegg sounded terribly ordinary to me and Ben Kingsley was odd, but decent. John Cleese was great, but overused.) I’d say I’m unhappy about the decision to pick star power over voice acting talent. I had no idea who Claudia Black and Steve Valentine were until I heard them bickering as Morrigan and Alistair in Dragon Age but THEY WERE SO GOOD. I would buy a game that had either of them voicing people in a heartbeat, because they’re good voice actors. I would think twice about watching a show they were acting in, because I really don’t think the two translate across well.

Think about it, would you ever ever have pegged Luke Skywalker to be the Joker?

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Never heard of Farscape, have you? Any doubts you might have about Claudia`s acting (and anything else regarding her abilities) will be gone right then and there.

• Arglebargle says:

There are some people I would happily marry, just to hear their voice. Claudia Black is one of them….

24. oceanview says:

Hey it’s dishonored, that game to buy in a year or so after release as a complete edition in a steam sale. Too bad bethesda, you screwed up (again) with the presale nonsense, but thanks for the money saving.

25. Shoelip says:

I’m so glad that they spent tons of money to bring in famous live action actors to record voices for the game characters. It’s extremely important that expensive famous live action actors famous for their portrayal of live action characters record the voices for our video game characters instead of cheaper more experienced voice actors like Steve Blum or Wendy Lee or even people with extensive experience in both areas like Will Friedle.

But the famousness of these famous live action actors with little experience as voice actors will surely improve the game in a crucial way. At least as far as Bethesda’s marketing department is concerned.

Well… I suppose Steve Blum will be in this anyway as Guard 1 or something so at least he’s getting work.

• Hardlylikely says:

Only famous actors can touch me on the feelings, which is an important property of modern videogames.

How I have yearned for a game designer to help me with these many unexpressed emotions.