Doom 3 BFG Edition Reveals “The Lost Mission”

By Jim Rossignol on August 3rd, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

BFG! That was almost funny once.
Lost? Or did this level just forget to get out of bed on the day Doom 3 was released? Either way it’s turned up eight years on for the re-release of Doom 3 dubbed “BFG Edition.” The Lost Mission apparently consists in eight new levels of the full game, although I’ve no idea how long one Doom 3 level actually lasted, so I’m hard pressed to say how much game time that actually adds. I believe there were 26 levels in the original game.

BFG Edition is arriving on October 19th for £20. There’s a trailer for the Lost Missions stuff below.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Red_Avatar says:

I have little interest in this. The game doesn’t really look any better (or only marginally) and it will still suffer from the same flaws: too many scripted events, not enough stuff to shoot, opponents are not as fun to kill either.

Doom 1 & 2 was about approaching your “victims” as well as being surprised by hidden walls collapsing. Doom 3 was 95% about scripted events spawning enemies to surprise you and barely any proper shoot outs. It shows id Software simply have no idea what makes a good fun FPS anymore …

• soldant says:

That said, “hidden walls collapsing” is effectively the monster closet trick that Doom 3 used way too much, except they had more enemies. I agree that Doom 3 exhausted its ‘scary’ factor fairly quickly (pitch black + monster spawning behind = boring) but the massive shoot-outs wouldn’t have been possible on the engine at the time; everything was dynamically lit, with more than a few actors it would have crawled. Plus id Software went for a different tactic (which they didn’t explore far enough) versus a Serious Sam style “monsters everywhere.” Which is fine, but they didn’t go far enough. The risk with a Serious Sam style shooter is that the player gets battle fatigue and gets bored too quickly, which is why SS includes so many parodies to try to be funny at the same time.

• Red_Avatar says:

They did it the completely wrong way. You can make a scary game without cheating and just spawning enemies left and right. By putting you in the dark and giving you a flashlight you couldn’t use while shooting was just lame, full stop. The entire game used all kinds of cheap tricks instead of doing it properly by actually being scary for real.

And, actually, the engine could handle several monsters perfectly fine. The Doom 1 mod had a dozen monsters at once on screen and did it fine – the difference was that there weren’t a dozen different light sources around and they aren’t needed really.

When you can’t manage to make a 2005 game as good as a 1993 game … you’re doing something very wrong. They ditched “fun” for “scary” and then did it so badly they were left with a dull game that lost appeal after just a few hours of playing. Enter room, enemy spawns behind you, turn around, shoot, next room, yawn, quit game, curse id Software for having become shit.

• soldant says:

I remember the Doom Classic remake mod, and it either ran poorly on hardware of the time, or the lighting was terrible and pretty much wrecked the textures. Doom 3’s textures relied heavily on the real-time lighting to give it detail. Any sort of ambient light made everything look terrible. It was my favourite engine to make maps for but the entire “shadow = pitch black” unless you have multiple light sources (which drops the FPS to a crawl) was a crippling problem. The problem was so bad that people were constantly looking for a way to get ambient lighting without destroying the shadows (which was the whole point of the engine).

• Shooop says:

I wondered why graphics mods for Doom 3 just about wrecked the game.

The one that does the least amount of damage is the Perfected mod, and even that leaves shadow grids on character models and fucks up anything behind glass.

Like Rage after it, just way too ambitious for the time.

• gladius2metal says:

I find it kinda interesting/funny that so many complain about COD, etc. for using the same formula all the time and then mentioning that id nowadays sucks at doing FPS’s… maybe, mabye just maybe id tries to bring FPS’s to the next level and maybe they didn’t hit the spot with DooM 3 and Rage?

just maybe, id is one of the big companies with any indie spirit left?

I personally liked Rage, although the end was just too quick(ie)… yet, so many people were waiting for a freaking Fallout, because Bethesda was the publisher…

• tambjo says:

I highly recommend this product because i have used it and it is displaying TV channels with awesome quality in my PC and laptop and it is also cheap.
      You can get 1000’s of TV Channels on Your PC or laptop for 5$ .Visit satellitetelevisionlive

• StingingVelvet says:

I’ve always thought Doom 3 played very similarly to the opening episodes of Doom. The dark rooms, the monster closets, the slower pace… all of that is very close to my shareware memories of Doom.

The later episodes, and Doom 2, played a lot more fast and loose and Painkiller-esque, which seems to be what people wanted. I’ve never been too into that kind of shooter though, I prefer stuff with waves of pace and action and more immersive gameplay, like FEAR or Far Cry.

Anyway… subjective quality is subjective. I liked Doom 3 though, and will keep an eye on this re-release. $20 is a lot for one new episode but maybe in a sale.

2. Echo Black says:

8 levels can be as short as 1.5h or as long as 4h depending on which Doom 3 levels you pick. They could also be larger than the ones in vanilla D3, but considering this BFG edition is for console also, I doubt it.

3. kevmscotland says:

£20 seems a bit steep for a couple new maps.

I mean DOOM3 is available for a tenner just now on steam. I’m sure if I looked more than 2 seconds I could find it cheaper still.

Doom 3 was ‘alright’

Those that liked it, have probably moved on, those that didn’t, wont buy this.
    Those that never experienced it, will just pick up the cheaper non-BFG edition.

Reeks of needing money after their RAGE fail.

• Red_Avatar says:

And, ironically, if they had bothered to do a remake of Doom 1 & 2 using the Doom 3 engine, people would have been a lot more excited!

4. QualityJeverage says:

I don’t like to look like a graphics whore, but I’m disappointed by the visuals here. If it were just being touted as a re-release with some extra content, I’d be fine. But they were also touting “improved graphics,” which at this point I can only assume means “improved over the original Xbox port.” Bleh.

Oh well, I still inexplicably adored Doom 3 and find myself replaying it every year or two. I’ve no doubt I’ll get this and enjoy it.

PoulWrist says:

Remember Doom 3 is from before Xbox 360 and PS3, to them it’s an uber HD remake. To us, it’s the same game that came out in .. 2003?

• Werthead says:

2004, the last truly great year for FPS in my view: FAR CRY, HALF-LIFE 2 and (somewhat behind them) DOOM 3.

5. Screamer says:

“The list mission”

Don’t worry Jim, the “I” and “O” keys very close together on my keyboard as well :)

6. killuminati says:

“Vintage for the Vintage God!!”

*said aloud in a manic-chaosish manner*

7. SiHy_ says:

The only thing I want to know about this is will The Dark Mod work on it or should I just buy Doom 3 when it goes 75% off on Sunday?

• kataras says:

I think the Dark Mod is going to be stand-alone soon so hold off buying either for a bit.

• SiHy_ says:

Last I checked they were still discussing whether going stand-alone was feasable, glad to know they are. It just feels like I’ve been waiting a long time to try it out. Looking at the Dark Mod website it seems like they’re getting tantalisingly close to stand-alone already. May as well wait a little longer… sigh.

8. Gwilym says:

I guess one of the places these missions wandered while lost was my computer, eight years ago.

Doom 3 was a game more about surprise than gameplay; ‘more of the same’ just seems pointless.

9. Sardonic says:

It’s no surprise they lost the mission, with it being so dark in there and all.

10. Mattressi says:

Did anyone else get really bored after a few hours of playing Doom 3? I remember I finished a few levels properly and they got progressively more “samey”. In the end I was just running through levels as fast as I could, killing the bare minimum enemies to get through. I finally got a chainsaw and thought it would be interesting, then quickly got bored of that and ran some more and finally quit and uninstalled. It just didn’t seem to have any interesting mechanics – you just walk forward and things spawn and you kill them. I know this describes most games, but it just seemed so much worse in Doom 3. The only other game I remember this happening in was Far Cry (about 10000 hours into it…at least it felt like it…where every enemy was a huge monster requiring a million rounds to kill it). Am I broken?

• MattM says:

Doom 3 pops into my mind whenever thinking about games that were too long. It took me about 17 hours to beat it, but the middle third felt really necessary. It was a repetitive slog through a bunch of lookalike labs. It picked back up again towards the end and finished strong, but if they had cut 4 hours from middle it would have been a better game.
      The promise of a lost mission doesn’t have much appeal unless it is going to have a cool distinguishing feature.

• Mctittles says:

Sounds like you weren’t playing on a high enough difficulty to be challenging. I find this the reason 90% of the time people get bored of games.

Just watch a Giant Bomb play-through sometime and see them get bored playing games on easy mode.

• Gorf says:

i found it too long but the atmosphere was somthing that i really enjoyed at the time. I’ll pick this edition up when its released as ive lost my copy.

11. TrueBlue says:

So let me get this straight, I now have the change to buy a re release of an old ass game which is already available in services like Steam, with the only difference being that all the DLCs (just one actually, Resurrection of Evil) and the original Doom 1 and 2 (which are also available through Steam mind you) are bundled up together for my convenience, oh and the addition of some mediocre maps that some mod user could have made…….seems legit.

Here take my money, no please, I insist. -_-

12. ikigeg says:

The thing which excites me about the BFG edition is that it is being bundled and tweaked with this badboy – http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game – which I seriously cannot wait for! I didn’t think Doom 3 was as good as i’d hoped for, but fully immersed i’m pretty confident i’ll need new pants :/

13. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Its under £15 to pre-order well worth it for the missing levels alone but saves me having to ever reinstall the 3xCD retail version again!

14. MythArcana says:

Make sure you stock up on Duracells before playing.

15. Shooop says:

PS3 and Xbox 360 players.

Doom 3 had a laughably bad release on the first Xbox so now it’s a “HD remaster” for them. For everyone else it’s nothing to care about unless Oculus Rift comes out at the same time.

16. StingingVelvet says:

I liked Doom 3 a lot and still do. 8 new levels sounds like a good bit of content, though $20 might be a bit steep. Will see how it shakes out.

17. StingingVelvet says:

What’s wrong with Rage now? I have been playing it and it runs great, looks great, etc.

18. Mctittles says:

It’s a bit surprising finding this news after just this week I decided to play through Doom 3 a second time. I only had access to quite an old pc and was in the mood for some shooting. It’s pretty amazing how well this game still looks today and how great it runs considering there are many games coming out with much worse looking shadows and textures that I can’t even get 10 fps on this machine.
    Future people: Code better!

19. SuperNashwanPower says:

Loved Doom 3. I got back into gaming at the time HL2, Far Cry and Doom 3 were THE titles to play, so they are all laden with nostalgia for me. I replayed Doom many times, so will definitely be interested in new content.

20. dmoe says:

Will the Anti-Aliasing be its own future DLC?

21. Dominic White says:

90% of the gameplay of Doom 3 was ‘Two imps teleport in front of you, and one appears behind you!’. Sometimes they mixed it up by having one in front and two behind. It was a technically solid game held back by awful level design.

Oh, sure, they had some cool bits using SatanVision(tm) in the first third. Only on the first third, though – then they ran out of ideas there. And some enemies were barely used. Pinky demons? I’d be surprised if there were ten of them in the entire game, which meant that there were very few ‘combined arms’ moments where you’re dealing with melee rushdown enemies while trying to block line-of-sight hitscan enemies as you attempt to pick off the heavier projectile types.

Admittedly, Doom 1 & 2 had some bad levels as well, but only because they were architecturally bland (city levels!) or just plain confusingly laid out. The actual combat and usage of enemy types in different combinations was rock solid. I hope iD remember what made the originals so fun when they finally reveal Doom 4. I really do hope.

• dmoe says:

They’re not the same company anymore that made those old classics. You have to look at their recent offerings and go from there. If you want the old id back you’d have to get a number of the original people who have left them for other companies and have them be their own body again. The old id is dead, buddy.