Minecon 2012 Will Be Held At Disneyland, Paris

By Jim Rossignol on August 3rd, 2012 at 8:00 am.

I'm wearing a similar hat. Right now.
Following the success of Minecon in Las Vegas last year, the latest, greatest gathering of block lovers will take place in Europe, at Disneyland Paris. I went there once. Dragged along as surly teenager by my over-keen family. The highlight of my trip was our daily visit to the theme-hotel restaurant, whose chalkboard proudly proclaimed an offering of “Barbecued Children.” The French-speaking staff refused to understand the humour in their error, leading me and mum to speculate that it might not have been an error at all. It was Disneyland, after all.

Comedy announcement trailer below. Registrations start in a few weeks.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. lordcooper says:

IT’S A TRAP!

2. Juan Carlo says:

There’s a Disneyland in Paris?

3. felisc says:

wow, i wonder how they worked out that deal.
    oh and as a kid I always dreamed of going to those disneyland paris hotels because in the 90′s they had megadrive and snes in the rooms.

4. BooleanBob says:

The difference is that Notch isn’t wearing anything else.

5. serioussgtstu says:

If someone is killed at Disneyland, medical staff will wait until the persons body is taken off the premises before they are pronounced dead. My friend who works there confirmed this. For the duration of Minecon however, you will simply re spawn at the entrance a few seconds later without any of your Disney brand merchandise.

6. RandomEsa says:

Why is this being held again?

I mean the first minecon had an excuse of being the launch party for the minecraft ( while giving notch a huge amount of dosh and internet drama). Blizzard you can sort of understand because they do have a currently 3 games that are up and running but I don’t see why mojang needs a conference for announcing patches for minecraft or updates for scrolls and 0c10c.

• Gnoupi says:

Because it’s a meeting of fans, also. And apparently there are several of them.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Absolutely. There’s Steve, and Dave. Oh and also Trevor.
        There’s Harold as well, but seriously. F**k that guy.

• Jim9137 says:

The last I checked the credit whatever fuck want, card can do the everything I.

• Syra says:

Maybe they are planning to launch scrolls.

• BrendanJB says:

Why are their anime expos and sci-fi conventions? Because fans enjoy meeting up and celebrating their interests.

• RandomEsa says:

That is a rather broad statement.

Surely it is different to hold a convention for entire medium than just for one company with exactly one released game. I don’t have anything against fans of x meeting up and having fun in silly costumes.

But aren’t these conventions usually hold by fans for fans? Sure there is blizzcon and quakecon but both of these companies have a rich history in gaming and arguably have more things to say about medium than mojang. I don’t know much about anime or sci-fi con scene so can’t really comment on those ( actually I don’t know any conventions held by creators of said franchise, but you can enlighten me on that).

I might be a skeptic but only reason I think minecon exists is because of minecraft ( duh) and notch wanting more gold for his personal treasury.

• FhnuZoag says:

You aren’t seriously attacking Notch for wanting to make money by providing a service that his fans want to pay for, are you?

• RandomEsa says:

I have no problem with notch giving his fans what they want and making a profit while doing so. It is just I personally don’t see why minecon needs to held by ( and why not call it mojacon!). Quakecon and blizzcon both have at least tournaments where you can test your skills against other players and win stuff.

Minecon is just a convention for fans of one “indie” game. Sure they meet notch and Jeb and other fans. I guess if you like that then my ramblings wouldn’t stop you going there. Maybe I’m not a right person for these things and rather laugh at the bad cosplay.

• BrendanJB says:

Ever since Minecraft’s inception, Notch and Mojang have been a huge part of the community. The game has changed specifically because fans asked for certain things. If Mojang just wanted money, then they would have accepted one of the myriad offers they have been given for the sale of Minecraft.

There are specific conventions for Star Trek, Pokemon, Doctor Who, Barbie, Marvel, and a plethora of other singular properties. It’s about people who like those things so much that they want to join with other people who enjoy them too. There have been local conventions for Minecraft created by fans, but this one is held by the creators, and it garners greater support from people in the community. People like Yogscast and Captain Sparklez show up.

“Quakecon and blizzcon both have at least tournaments where you can test your skills against other players and win stuff.”

Yes, and Minecon has places where you can go and play Minecraft with other fans. Build, share, and battle with other Minecrafters while sitting a few feet away. I don’t understand why you can’t comprehend that fans would want an official, specific convention for their pastime.

7. GallonOfAlan says:

Great news that it’s in Europe this time, as befits a European company.

8. FCA says:

Great, just as I’m moving from Europe to California, in order to be close to all the gamescons :(

9. fiddlesticks says:

I like Disneyland Paris but I don’t like Minecraft, so I’m not quite sure what to make of this.

• Namey says:

You could possibly just visit Disneyland Paris at an unrelated time? It’s not like Minecraft is now some kind of requirement for doing so.

• Gap Gen says:

No, after Minecon they’re converting it into Notchland, where everything is made of metre-cube blocks, and the bread looks suspiciously like three stalks of wheat tied together on a workbench. Although I bet being a creeper mascot would be great fun, chasing people around, going “sss” and releasing fire crackers.

10. asshibbitty says:

Go out in the sun jesus Christ fucking nerds

• Jubaal says:

Yes, because Disneyland Paris is famous for the huge all encompassing dome blocking out all light.

*Rolls eyes*

• Tei says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!,

Is a not well know fact that Disney have complete authority inside disneyland. This is a trick to make Deadmau enter the territory, where he will be jailed for copyright infringement.

Also *make comment about Java and coffe leaking *

• faelnor says:

Funniest thing I’ve read today. Thanks Tei :D

11. Tatourmi says:

Disneyland Paris really? Oh well. The work that has been done on the decor there is amazing. The hand-carved rocks of the pirate zone, the magnificent Robinson Cruzoe tree, the spiderwebs of the new tower of terror, even the shops of the main road are interesting to see. On the other hand though, it is Disneyland, and in Disneyland there is Disney, and I wouldn’t want to touch them with a ten foot pole.

12. MadTinkerer says:

PURELY SUBJECTIVE OPINION:

I have been to Disney World (Florida) and Disneyland Paris. Disney World is better because there’s EPCOT and MGM Studios right next to it as well as a bunch of new stuff they’ve added in the decade and a half since I was last there. Disneyland Paris is totally worth visiting as well though! For one thing, even though there are a lot of parralels in both parks (Captain EO was in DLP when I visited, and French Captain EO must not be missed), they do a lot of things differently. For example: Disney World’s Tomorrowland is loosely based on 1950/60s sci fi visions of the 21st century and beyond. DLP’s equivalent is more steampunk-ish turn of the (20th) century sci fi.

I have not been to the California Disneyland or Disneyland Tokyo, so I cannot say how they compare.

In all, DLP tends to be unfairly underrated. It may not be quite as good as Disney World (IMHO), but it’s still a really great Disney theme park with a lot of interesting and unique stuff. And now Minecon is there so it will be doubly awesome.

And now I wish I still lived in London instead of New Jersey. :(

13. Ergates_Antius says:

That hat seems more suitable for Minniecon.

HAHAHAHAHA DO YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

14. yhancik says:

Those conventions with a name in ~con sound terrible in French.

15. Gap Gen says:

“Dans l’enfant, tout est bon” comme disent les parisiens.

16. Zib says:

My favourite part of this video is Notch drinking coffee from a Glencairn whiskey glass. It’s a classy move.

17. princec says:

People still play Minecraft?

18. Torgen says:

“Oh, how DARE people enjoy themselves without my approval! SCANDALOUS! Can’t they see how much distress they are causing me?!?!” (repeat every single time Minecraft is mentioned)

:eyeroll:

19. MythArcana says:

I wonder if the Paris location features latino gangs tagging all the walls around the park? That’s a big attraction at the original Anaheim location. I once walked into the bathroom by Swiss Family Tree Robinson and stumbled right in the middle of some initiation hazing thing with fresh paint all over the walls. Terrifying.

20. vivlo says:

Anyone went to the other Minecon ? Care to tell if it was nice, and why ?

Comment on this story