First (Person) Blood: Rambo, The Game, The Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on August 3rd, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

“All FPSes are Rambo, no FPSes are Rambo. The difference is in the dose” – Paracelsus.

While Reef Entertainment saw fit to release a few screenshots of their Rambo game (one of which you can see above) it’s telling that the trailer for the game, which you can see below (as is traditional) features nothing but scenes from the Rambo movies. It’s fitting, I suppose, at a time when videogames are shooting live-action trailers to promote their rendered action happenings, the movie licence need not bother to show its game at all, because it has the movie.

Rambo – just so you know – will be a first person shooter comprising of a “journey” through the first three movies. Why not Rambo 4?

Because, in a way, aren’t all games Rambo 4?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. derbefrier says:

A journey through the first 3 movies huh? does that mean we get to shoot a bunch of redneck policemen? If so sign me up.

• zookeeper says:

But the whole point of the first movie is he didn’t shoot any redneck policemen.

2. Trent Hawkins says:

Doesn’t he join Al Qaeda in one movie?

• Doth Messar says:

Yeah that’s the one he rams a helicopter with a tank.

• RogerioFM says:

He does that? Whoa, I must see it.

• ResonanceCascade says:

If you can’t do that in this game, I’m out.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Not to parse words, but it’s the Mujahideen. More specifically, they were likely to be representative of followers of Ahmad Massoud, known as the Lion of Panjshir. Massoud was actually killed by Al Qaeda suicide bombers two days before 9/11. The Muj were very much against suicide bombings and targeting civilians. While Al Qaeda has its roots in the Afghan/Soviet conflict, Al Qaeda didn’t really become a thing until the late 80′s/early 90′s, a few years after the Afghan conflict had been settled. Bin Laden himself actually ran training camps for foreign mujahideen, to join the Afghan jihad, but was never directly involved in the Afghan conflict.

-edit- Whoops. Mean to to be in reply to Doth Messar, but oh well. Derp!

• RogerioFM says:

If I cant ride an exploding shark and throw it on an airplane I don’t want it.

• Mr. Mister says:

Rico Rodríguez says “amateur”.

• mondomau says:

Yup. It’ll be interesting to see if they change it to something less, uh, ‘offensive’?

• rustybroomhandle says:

It was the Mudja Hadin, but close enough I guess. :)

• stupid_mcgee says:

Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda actually really didn’t like the Afghan Muj. It’s why he killed Ahmad Massoud just days before 9/11. Massoud is largely celebrated throughout Afghanistan. If you’ve never read it, Soldiers of God: With Islamic Warriors in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Robert Kaplan is an amazing book. Really gives you a great insight into how incredibly hardcore the Muj were and how much they differed from the more radicalised cells that exist nowadays.

There’s a bit where Kaplan talks to Adbul Haq about having his foot amputated, and while Haq rubs the lump where his foot used to be, he says (paraphrasing) that he is glad he lost his foot for Allah and that it was for a greater purpose. He goes on to say that he feels bad for those who lose limbs in such trivial things as car accidents. After having his foot blown off by a mine, Haq had to be carried for over 25 miles on horseback before reaching a doctor who could cut off the damaged tissue, which had to be done without alcohol (Muslims don’t drink) and without anesthetic, because they had none. Abdul Haq was captured and killed trying to purge the Taliban from Afghanistan shortly after the 9/11 Afghan invasion.

• G_Man_007 says:

Anything like the Gila Munja?

• Nick says:

The third one. It’s dedicated to the brave fighters of afganistan at the end.

3. Text_Fish says:

Links to the other screens, at least? Or are they somewhere evil?

4. ResonanceCascade says:

I’m not opposed to a Rambo fps in principle, but not even really showing anything isn’t giving me a lot of confidence….

5. EPICTHEFAIL says:

Since I don`t remember Rambo actually using a weapon`s sights at any point in the two movies I`ve watched half a decade ago, does this mean no ironsights? If so, me want.

6. Inigo says:

I’d prefer a Hot Shots! Part Deux game.

7. mrmalodor says:

When the mouse button’s pushed, killing’s as easy as breathing.

8. BatmanBaggins says:

Holy shit what.

Actually, a game about a Vietnam vet going insane and murdering an entire police force in the woods could be pretty cool if that was the main focus. Dunno about all the movies, though.

• sinister agent says:

Fleeing into the woods and fighting off increasingly organised waves of enemies, while killing as few as possible, would be worryingly fun if handled well.

Suspect we’ll have it be more like Rambo 2 though, which was shit. Could make a fine game, but could also make a generic snore-em-up.

• Twisted says:

Or, perhaps, you know, not killing anybody. There is only one death in First Blood, and it’s accidental.

9. Anthile says:

It’s funny because Rambo itself was based on a book.

• Bob says:

Yeah, and a good read too. If they stayed true to the book there wouldn’t have been an more Rambos after the first. Why? …read the book. ;)

10. Nick says:

Huh, how will the first one work? Throw rock at helicopter?

11. int says:

The graphics are beautiful!

It’s like the movies.

12. CommanderZx2 says:

To be fair it is subtitled ‘cinematic teaser’ and not trailer.

13. db1331 says:

I think Stallone himself put it best when he said, “EeuaEEyahueEyyahhueeaae”

14. Navagon says:

The teaser does not suggest great things. What with it containing precisely zero game footage. Not even the usual scripted crap.

15. Shortwave says:

I’ve been waiting for this my entire life.
    It better be ultra-freakin violent. I mean, so violent that all those anti-violence in video games people turn off their computers and sell them.

Yea, that violent.
    Fuck, yes.

16. Jason Moyer says:

I could have sworn that I saw something about this game recently, and that it looked like an isometric Metal Slug. Now I’m wondering what the hell I’m thinking of.

• Eukatheude says:

The Expendables game? Was it The Expendables? There was Stallone in it, though.

17. Obc says:

so will i be able to shoot a bazooka from inside a helicopter at a another helicopter? will i be able to jump out of water, leap up 20 feets and grab unto a helicopter and kill everyone onboard? will there be a mgs3 style stealth where i can disguise myself black in water or like a tree? will i shoot rocks at helicopters and kill cops and shoot down a police station?

18. Arglebargle says:

Non Sequitur: I just had to drop in to say I have handled and read a first edition of Paracelsus. Nice quote riff!

19. JiminyJickers says:

RAMBO!!!!!!

20. Iskariot says:

This sounds like a very bad idea, but I will wait and see.

21. Kein says:

Enjoyed the trailer, lots of gameplay were shown.

22. SkittleDiddler says:

RAMBOFACE: FIRSTBLOODWAR

23. LaundroMat says:

I think I’ll play about a third through and then nod off.

24. Chaz says:

Cue lots of incoherant rambling and things blowing up.

Damn really must get the Rambo films on DVD some time, forgotton how fun they were. Also as mentioned above, why not Rambo 4? I thought that was quite good actually; especially the bit where he gets on the 50cal and blows huge chunks out of those enemy goons.

25. Tayh says:

“Because, in a way, aren’t all games Rambo 4?”
    Wow. That’s deep.

26. Koozer says:

I just know they’re going to completely bastardise the first film. siiiiiigh

Yes, I am psychic.