Angry Street Wanking Man & Other Stories

By Alec Meer on August 6th, 2012 at 9:15 pm.

He makes it look so easy

I’m currently busy being a crap vampire in Skyrim: Dawnguard so I haven’t yet had the chance for a close look at the entire contents of The DoggyBag, a free 27-game indie bundle from Karl Adamson, but seeing that one of them is called Angry Street Wanking Man immediately drove me to post about it. “Play as naked wild-haired masturbating man as he seeks his true self” – or, if you will ‘a basic platformer starring a stick man paying an extended visit to Madame Palm and her five sisters.’ You will be disappointed or pleased to hear that it’s not actually terribly NSFW, being as it is an Atari 2600 homage.

Very much sealing the deal was the realist epic that is ‘Advanced Going Down the Shops for a Pint of Milk Simulator’ which offers both an accurate sim and an arcade mode.

There’s shmups and puzzlers and text adventures and all sorts in there, but fear not, onanism does not rear its chafed head in any more of them. They’re all very simple, many stem from GameMaker, but most of them raise at least a smile. Some of them are even quite good! They’re all the rapid-fire work of one dev, going under the name of Vascillating Dichotomy, making them in his spare time and ably demonstrating that imagination/twisted humour can go along way towards making up for technological short-comings.

He probably wouldn’t get along well with 2K’s Christoph Hartmann.

More details and download links are right here.

, , .

1. ArcaneSaint says:

Huh, so this is what happens when game developers get high. Interesting…

• Raff says:

“This looks unusual, clearly the result of drugs.” – the mantra of a dull person

• Toberoth says:

Ouch. Calm down there.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

To be fair, the idea that unusual things only come from drugs is one of those cliches that does deserve to die.

• Phantoon says:

Or terrific things.

Most famous musicians are blasted out of their minds when they write their hit songs.

• gwathdring says:

“I’ve seen fire and I’ve seen rain.
            I’ve seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
            I’ve seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
            That leaf totally looks like a frog.”

• Balm says:

Some famous musicians were at various degrees of intoxication when they wrote some of their hit songs.

• billyphuz says:

I’m reminded of Spacemen 3′s album “taking drugs to make music to take drugs to.” Except, switch games for music.

• Eukatheude says:

For an actually good example. check out messhof and cactusquid

2. wodin says:

The advance going down the shops for some milk sim seems right up Nathans alley. Sure he will be wildly excited by it, hopefully not so excited he re enacts the sequel to angry wanking man, happy wanking man walking to the shops for some milk sim.

3. Bhazor says:

Advanced mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxzho63csU&feature=related

BubuIIC says:

Oh, I found Kieron, that was was a bit unexpected ;-)

5. Gasmask Hero says:

I like the way it’s all structured, so we get to see how his style and skills develop over the four year period.

Plus there are some games in here that I would like to play. That never hurts.

6. McDan says:

If any fellow Brits who play this don’t excel in the advanced going down the shops for a pint of milk simulator, then I truly fear for our society.

RobF says:

I love Karl’s stuff. Beautifully mental.

• sparkes says:

Same here.

I had a wobble last week and thought I’d never develop a game worthy of release in my life then remembered Karl had the same wobble the week before and I remembered being upset at the thought I’d never play another of his little treasures then I got a bit worked up when I read what was said about one of his games on Reddit. If I can be passionate about the games made by a dude from web forums I can hold it together long enough to finish another game of my own.

Still sad that Advanced Going Down The Shops For a Pint of Milk Simulator came out the very day the toddler stole the left arrow key on my laptop rendering Arcade Mode impossible :)

This is what game making is about people.

*also didn’t know he’d had a dabble with text adventures until I downloaded the package and I’d have missed out.

8. woodsey says:

So is it you that’s crap at being a vampire, or Dawnguard’s vampires that are crap?

9. hypercrisis says:

im guessing theyre not a fan of Kieron

10. BooleanBob says:

some have broken down and cried
    some have turned to dust inside
    but I’ll stay right here and hide
    in the arms of a street wanking man