Push His Button: Walker

By Adam Smith on August 6th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Hello! These legs were made for walking. Don't let the lack of proper feet convince you otherwise.

Walker is a free one-button game about John’s commute to work every morning*, from the four poster bed in which he enjoys his point and click dreams to the sturdy oaken desk at which he delivers words to the eyes of the world. It’s not as simple as something like Canabalt, where jumping and fleeing are the order of the day, instead presenting a complex and cleverly designed world to platform through. Some obstacles will make Walker turn and walk in the opposite direction (mostly ghosts, he hates ghosts) and all you can control is when and how high he jumps. Sadly not by shouting ‘jump’ at him, but by pressing ‘z’. Free, fairly lengthy and quite charming, Walker is available here.

It must be said that while I enjoy the game, Walker’s habit of sitting on cacti is extremely unattractive, particularly so given that they eventually kill him. He’s got a good wall jump on him though and sometimes he attaches a boot to his head and that sort of lets him fly.

If you manage to see his adventure through to the end you’re a better man than me. I gave up when a penguin accidentally punctured him with its beak as it slid across some ice.

* Walker is not actually about John at all as far as I know. It is, however, a delightful and smartly put together platform game. Do try it.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Freud says:

I think I have earned my black belt in laziness. I don’t have the energy to try free stuff anymore. If there isn’t a youtube video, I move on.

• Greggh says:

You my friend, have crossed the barrier between gamer and cinephile, or more adequately, a tubephile.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I just read the title, it saves me having to watch the video.

2. D3xter says:

The resemblance is uncanny.

3. PoLLeNSKi says:

Ahaha, such a happy song to play a game to – and despite having just one button, quite well designed :)

4. MOKKA says:

It somehow refuses to work on my PC. The screen flickers all the time.
    But I read the manual on the page and it was nice to read!

• Wilson says:

Yeah, I have the same problem. Shame, looks like it might be quite fun.

5. KDR_11k says:

Do you get to drop white phosphorus on people?

6. MajorManiac says:

Now I too get the boss the world’s best journalist around making him dance to my whim. I feel like Future Publishing… (who are probably great really. I have no idea)

7. eks says:

Cute visuals and sounds, overall it actually seems like a nice little polished platform game.

Unfortunately, I hate the “one button gimmick” and not directly controlling the character. Since that’s basically the entire game and a core mechanic of it, well…… yeah, that’s it I guess, I just won’t play it.

• Savagetech says:

Exactly how I felt. It has a lot of nice touches but unfortunately the core gameplay is not engaging. While the idea of indirect control has merit in gaming, I don’t think it fits the platformer genre at all. If I wanted to feel like I was barely in control of anything that happens I’d just think about life.

I liked the progressively difficult button mashing minigame required to continue from where you died, where failure sent you back to the checkpoint. Sadly I think that was the best part, with the majority of my playtime being “waiting for my guy to walk in the correct direction so I can finally push some buttons and progress” or “messing up my button presses and waiting again.”

8. DrScuttles says:

Since this is a game about John, has anyone got up to the boss battle against his friend Nick where you have to debate the merit of videogames in an insult swordfighting-style subgame?

9. Geen says:

Like Super Meat Boy, but one button and cuter!

10. Skhalt says:

I see what you did there.

11. flipswitchx says:

Thank you for the story sir ever so much!