Conjuring For The Gold: Magicka’s Olympics-Themed DLC

By Nathan Grayson on August 7th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

For all I know about sports, this is a real one. Or at least, I really, really want it to be.

I think we’ve all – at some point or another – turned on the television during a major sporting event and thought to ourselves “You know what? If I really put my nose to the grindstone and trained like a madman, I too could be an almighty elemental demigod wizard.” But that also sounds hard. And to that, I raise you videogames – specifically Magicka, whose WOOT Tournament DLC is mixing Arrowhead’s motley band of magicians with, well, pretty much the only thing left that they haven’t been mixed with: The Olympics.

Joystiq – presumably by way of some dark, mysterious news-making magic – got the scoop, noting that the sports-themed challenge and versus content will debut tomorrow for zero additional units of monetary currency. It sounds fairly hefty, too, tipping the Olympic-certified scales with four new PVP maps, three new challenge maps, and of course, heaps of new spells. One of them is The Wave – which combines both the obnoxious action performed by crowds the world over and my intense desire to inflict violence upon everyone around me as soon as one starts.

All told, though, it looks like more of Magicka’s trademark brand of silly fun. There are a few screenshots through the link, and I spy hockey, some sort of swimming-pool-based to-do, and everyone’s favorite Olympic standby, that one with all the giant holes in the ground. Topical! And now, I suppose it’s only a matter of time until Magicka goes to Mars.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Llewyn says:

“everyone’s favorite Olympic standby, that one with all the giant holes in the ground”

I’d been wondering what had happened to the Australian team.

2. mcleodglen says:

Wow, Awesome this is perfect sutff :)

3. Mercetron says:

Please don’t forget to give some love to Pieces Interactive who produced this particular bundle of fun :)

4. thepaleking says:

Free? God these developers think they can charge or not charge anything for dlc and get away with it. I’m personally holding out for when Steam pays me to inject the game directly into the folds of my scrotum. No scrotal injection no sale.

5. Shantara says:

When are they going to be sued? Because IOC is treating mentions of anything even remotely related to Olympics as copyright infringement.

• Victuz says:

I was about to ask the same question. Apparently it’s illegal to even think of anything vaguely related to Olympics now. Hell I’m pretty sure they’re going to sue us for using the word Olympics.
      Because they copyrighted the letter O.

• The Infamous Woodchuck says:

AFAIK that law only applies to London citizens only, and since Paradox is a swedish company…..

but then again, AFAIK

• Tei says:

I am pretty sure IOC has offices everywhere.

Also the Olympic logo is on the bottom left corner (with a fire icon next to it).

• Groove says:

Brilliant. I think everyone would be much more interested if the Olympic disciplines included the arcane, and lightning.

• fyro11 says:

@Groove
            Zeus, Poseidon and co. urge you to reconsider.

• Baines says:

A friend’s knitting circle were told they couldn’t organize a “Knitting Olympics” event, which involved knitting during the Olympics.

• shams_J says:

What’s this talk of Olympics – Paradox never mentioned any olympics – any conjecture or speculation on medias part is outright dismissed. This is purely a free Magicka DLC and has nothing to do with other current events.

• frightlever says:

So long as they don’t use the Olympic rings logo – even if fashioned from sausages! – or the phrase “London 2012″ they should be fine.

• Milky1985 says:

From the info i have seen , its simply called a “competition” , there is no mention of olympics, london , the year or the rings of special colours.

There is no way they should be able to be taken down based on that.

Not that it will stop the killjoy bridage that is the IOC, with their “special connections” to the government i’m sure they can work something out.

• SkittleDiddler says:

The Pain Olympics haven’t been sued yet, as far as I know.

6. marcusfell says:

Wizards can’t swim…

7. aliksy says:

Magicka’s one of my favorite games ever, so I’ll play this.

Hurray for wizards without mana limits, cool downs, or xp grinds!

8. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

The opening ceremony would have been so much more entertaining with a couple of Magicka wizards running around.

Also, lethal.

9. MythArcana says:

Make sure you go around sucker punching other wizards in the mouth and lose the game intentionally when the match is too difficult. I’m sure this content will be much more serious than the Olympics, though.

Comment on this story