Damn: Doom 3 BFG Mod Support Still Up In The Air

By Nathan Grayson on August 7th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Argh! This hurts almost as badly as the prospect of not being able to design my own campaign in which the littlest Cyberdemon finally learns the true meaning of friendship.

Doom 3’s source code has been helping make pioneering advances in the science of monster closets since late last year. You’d think, then, that letting players tinker around in the upcoming BFG Edition’s infinitely-shotgunable innards would be as simple as one, two, flashlight-removal-mod-because-you’re-too-hardcore-for-seeing. Unfortunately, however, that’s definitely not the case. Right now, in fact, even John Carmack’s stumped. See, BFG may look like Doom 3 and sound like Doom 3 and – I verified this during QuakeCon while no one was looking – taste like Doom 3, but its ones and zeroes definitely aren’t the same.

I asked creative director Tim Willits about the longtime id tradition during an interview, and here’s what he told me:

“We haven’t quite figured out what exactly we’re going to do with the BFG Edition. It’s a different PC codebase, so John [Carmack’s] gotta figure out how he wants to work that in. The new Doom 3 works differently than the old Doom 3. John hasn’t figured out the solution to either open sourcing it or modding.”

“So that’s gonna be a big question where PC folks are going to be like ‘OK, so what goes on here?’ But people should realize that we don’t know [just yet]. We don’t know when we’ll release the source code, and the old mods aren’t gonna work on the new Doom 3. So there is a plan that hopefully John will come up with, but people need to be aware of this for now.”

Carmack elaborated further, noting that elements of id Tech 5 (for reference, Doom 3 ran on id Tech 4) have been integrated into Doom 3 BFG Edition. As a result, there’s a whole new set of legal hoops to jump through before Carmack and co can open it up to everyone else. If nothing else, though, Willits reiterated that it is a major priority.

“It’s one of the great things that John does: giving away source code and letting people make new experiences. I mean, if you’re a budding software programmer, and you don’t download source code that John releases and learn it and make your own stuff, you’re missing out on a huge opportunity. So it’s always exciting to support the community like that.”

Really, though, what are the odds on id at least having some sort of plan of attack ready before BFG Edition’s October launch? For now, nothing set’s in stone, but it’s a work that’s definitely in progress.

“Hopefully!” he replied when I asked. So then, fingers crossed.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Flukie says:

Well they made money before they jumped on the console bandwagon, why do they still think they can crack it? If you focus on PC you end up rewarded quite well.

• reggiep says:

If you focus on PC you end up rewarded quite well.

Yeah, I don’t know about that. We’re a picky bunch.

• psyk says:

Being put on a golden pedestal then held to ridiculous standards which if not upheld get you ripped down with dis/misinfo and trolling.

2. Fallward says:

More ID news huh? Develop one more decent engine, release Quake 5, Doom 4, Wolfenstein Co-op, and be done with it.

• The_Player says:

They’re id, not ID. Also I wonder if there’ll be some sort of discount for those who already own copy of Doom 3 at Steam.

• ScubaMonster says:

I really want a Quake 5 but I’m unsure of how well it would do. It could be Quake 4 all over again. But that’s the strange part, I couldn’t really find any fault in Quake 4 but it did pretty miserably compared to previous games. Same with Unreal Tournament 3. I guess maybe people just don’t care as much about arena shooters anymore, which is a real shame. I know there were some complaints about mechanics in Q4 and UT3, but I don’t remember what they were. Regardless, they were good games that lived up to their heritage, but nobody just really cared. I think people either just stuck with Q3 or moved on entirely from that type of shooter.

• Unruly says:

I think the big problem with Quake 4 is that the multiplayer just felt stale. Anyone that wanted to play an arena shooter was either still playing Quake 3 or was playing UT2k4, and Quake 4 didn’t really bring anything new to the table. And then there was the lack of mods. As far as I remember, Rocket Arena was the only mod to actually be released for Quake 4, and then it wasn’t supported past patch 1.2.

It was just sad how fast the multiplayer in Quake 4 died. I got the game on release day, but had to wait a couple months before I even attempted to play online since I needed to upgrade my system to run the game smoothly. By the time I got to play online 6 months later there were hardly any players left.

3. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Wasn’t The Dark Mod rated mod of the year last year? So Doom 3 BFG is a new game that offers little improvement over a 7 year old game, is much more expensive and is actually inferior to the original in important ways.

Huh.

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

So it’s like most games anyway.

• iniudan says:

BFG edition is not made for gameplay reason, so if you don’t see a point in it, it might be normal, that project is mostly to test some tech, Carmack explained it in his conference at Quakecon, but forgot what he said on that subject.

4. Inigo says:

John hasn’t figured out the solution to either open sourcing it or modding.

He keeps getting distracted by ZeniMax executives creeping up behind him and slowly running a riding crop up his thigh.

• dethtoll says:

I can’t decide whether to be horrified or aroused.

• ClockworkTiger says:

Why choose? They aren’t mutually exclusive. I’m sure someone on the internet has made a fortune on people willing to pay a premium to experience both.

5. Njordsk says:

what’s the fuss about this D3 BFG thingy?

I mean yeah, it’s doom 3 we’ve known litteraly for YEARS. Plus a few level *cough*

mrwonko says:

And the first time the addon is easily available in Germany.

I for one never played the original Doom 3, getting it and its predecessors in an all-in-one package sure sounds nice.

Anthile says:

Amazon.de lists it for no less than 30 euros, which is insane.

mrwonko says:

I have no intention of buying it full-priced. In fact, I’m not buying anything anytime soon.

6. affront says:

And here I always thought that Doom 3 was almost as much of a turd as Quake 4 was (edit: by id standards back then, anyway), and yet loads of people care – about a glorified levelpack 8 years after release, for €30.
    What the flying fuck.

• dethtoll says:

*GASP* People having an opinion different from yours?! BAN THIS SICK FILTH

• affront says:

Nah, I’m actually slightly happy about people throwing money at Carmack, as he’ll hopefully dump it into Armadillo Aerospace.
        It’s just an order of magnitude more incomprehensible to me than many things, as Doom 3 was such an utterly forgettable experience to nearly everyone I know, and I hadn’t yet noticed it having any kind of “cult following”.

That said, I prefer impalement to a lackluster ban.

• Lemming says:

I actually enjoyed Doom 3, and Quake 4 even more so. It filled a gap that PC gamers had at the time, which was just a competent single player shooter with some decent guns. Quake 4 had awful vehicle sections, but the guns and the marine squad stuff was great fun.

It was post HL2 at the time, and I think our only other choices were shitty military shooters.

Also, it was quite pleasing to see the Quake 2 universe again (in Quake 4) in spruced up form.

• affront says:

Hmm, yeah, I never gave Quake 4’s singleplayer a fair chance (in fact I disregarded it almost entirely, as Quake was never about that for me), I was busy being too disappointed in its multiplayer, as there didn’t seem to be a single reason to play it over any of Q1-3.
        If one only looked back on that it might make sense if one did so fondly.

• Memph says:

I remember Q4 as a (thoroughly enjoyable) single player game. Raven’s shooters generally are/were pretty solid. I did dabble in the MP, but pulling 125fps on an Athlon 64 was an impossibility, making bridge to rail, corner bouncing and consistant straffle an impossibility.
          Back to osp Q3 I went. Less shiny, but cleaner, crisper, faster, quakier, with sound chunky as a ten storey Yorkie. Q4’s machine gun sounded like an onset of tinnitus.

• Phantoon says:

Doom 3 for me was alright, I guess, and Quake 4 was pretty lackluster. But I think that even if you enjoyed Doom 3 a whole bunch, it’s still an insane price.

Anthile says:

Oh well, I’ll go play Rage mods in the meantime.

8. Beelzebud says:

Zenimax buying Id will have no affect on the company; just like EA buying Bioware.

How the mighty have fallen.

PoulWrist says:

He said in the quakecon keynote that it’s because they use idtech5 code for it, and that he hasn’t figured out how to handle it yet. But mentioned that maybe they could convince the legal people that it was okay to just open source those bits that are used.

• morgofborg says:

I think being bought could have positive ramifications for iD. It lets them continue to live more on the strength of their engines than their games. Best case scenario: iD builds engines for future Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.

• Phantoon says:

Yeah, and then Fallout is given to people better about it, but given more time to do it, this time.

• alundra says:

Nah, they have remained an independent company, just like eBery other out there.

Look at the birth side of things, if Rage wouldn’t have been such a huge flop, Bethesda wouldn’t be so desperate to recoup any amount of their investment and we wouldn’t be seeing a remake of a remake of a 20 year old game, spiced up with element from the flagship engine.

Bethesda will never allow it to go open source, at least not at this point in time, I don’t think they are in the mood of losing more money.

9. diebroken says:

“…DOOM 3 BFG Edition, the first Oculus-ready game…”

Could have something to do with the issue. Can’t wait to try it with the Oculus Rift… /kickstarted! XD

AmateurScience says:

I always get the impression from interviews and the like that Mr Carmack is rather like Leonard of Quirm.

11. Lemming says:

The only reason I’m considering purchasing this is to show my gf what Doom is supposed to be about as she thought the movie was “quite good”. I’ll be getting it for the PS3 however, as that is the ‘show-and-tell’ device in my house. Therefore, mod support isn’t really an issue with me.

12. othello says:

I don’t see why asset swap mods (new maps, textures, and models) wouldn’t be supported. However, mods that change actual game code are a weird issue because of parts of the codebase being id tech 5.

13. NamelessPFG says:

Here’s what I want to know:

Can you take the .PAK files for the base game and Resurrection of Evil (probably not The Lost Mission, though), and drop them into iodoom3 if mod support with BFG Edition is an issue?

Given what I’ve heard about the tweaks to the gameplay, that probably isn’t going to happen, but one can hope.

Also, here’s hoping that they didn’t replace the OpenAL API with something inferior like XAudio2 + X3DAudio or FMOD Ex as part of the engine changes. I want proper binaural 3D sound, damn it, not held back to virtual 7.1!