Double Fine’s Iron Brigade Digs New Trench On PC

By Nathan Grayson on August 7th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

The biggest change between this alternate history and our own? It's way more blue.

It’s been a long time in coming, but we’re finally about to have every recent Double Fine release on our humble Greatest Platform On Earth And In The Whole Of Human History. Well, aside from that motion-controlled Sesame Street game, anyway. But until Cookie Monster arrives and lapses into a homicidal rage over the fact that all I’ve eaten today is four cookies, I’ll just have to make do with infinitely customizable World War I mechs. Because Tim Schafer’s brain is a national treasure.

Double Fine haphazardly affixed a good news cannon to the side of its blog and then fired off the following:

“On top of making the Xbox, Microsoft knows quite a bit about what is known colloquially as the ‘PERSONAL COMPUTER.’  I’m super excited to announce that on August 13th you’ll be able to fire up Steam and play Iron Brigade on your very own PC.  Woo! It’s also worth noting that the PC version of the game will include the DLC expansion, Rise of the Martian Bear! Yeah!”

I played a demo of the artist formerly known as Trenched on Xbox many moons ago. It struck me as far more tower-defense-y than I was expecting, but it definitely wasn’t a bad thing. And while its premise is unabashedly silly, it didn’t seem quite as focused on in-your-face humor as other members of Double Fine’s rib-tickling troupe. Mind you, that’s not a bad thing. I’m just interested to see where it goes, tonally speaking.

Regardless, the Year Of The Mech lumbers ever onward. Now we’ve got Iron Brigade, Hawken, MechWarrior Online, and Strike Suit Zero. Oh, and this real $1 million Japanese robo-behemoth whose (currently non-lethal – phew) guns are powered by smiles. So that’s nice and terrifying. Other than that realization of all my greatest fears, though, hooray!

, .

1. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

This info leaked about 2 weeks ago when 2 of the playtesters showed the achievements earned on GFWL.

So GFWL enabled but Steam is handling the patching process…let the rabid juvenille uncalled hate begin I guess (MS Game Studios are publishing). Also comes with the Martian Bear DLC for free if the achievements list is accurate the playtesters have all of those DLC achvs as well.

• Lemming says:

Welp, call me juvenile and rabid if you want, but it means this’ll be the first game of theirs I’m not purchasing. Double Fine should know better.

• televizor says:

Yeah but since they’re releasing on Xbox as well, maybe M$ had a clause in the contract that said they could only realease it as a GFWL game on the PC.

Mechanicus_ says:

My understanding is Microsoft owns the Iron Brigade games and IP as part of the original publishing deal, that’s the reason it contains GFWL.

• Karuji says:

You are indeed correct in that DF do not own the IP rights for Iron Brigade. It’s also why MS was very hands on with the name lawsuit in the EU.

I’m still going to pick up Iron Brigade when it hits Steam. I’ve suffered GFWL on Batman: AA, Bioshock, and DoW. I can survive it to play a DF game :)

• Meanmachine says:

Yep I’m surprised by Double Fine as well, they should know better and don’t worry about being called Juvenile by that pillock. That’s just another one of PWXBOX360′s names that he uses whilst commenting on different sites. All he cares about is Gamerscore, that’s what he seems to measure lifes worth in and games worth in.

@televizor If that was the case far more GFWL titles would be out there, fortunately there aren’t. But then again such a clause could be new. I can’t see them doing that though, too many devs would yell foul play and receive damaged sales from it.

• SurprisedMan says:

This is the publisher model. You compromise, in order to get your game made. I don’t know of any developer who wouldn’t, given the resources, want to have their game on every platform they could possibly manage… but in the end you do what you have to do to get the game made.

• BlackeyeVuk says:

Firstly people tend to be subjective on things they create ,and add things usually does not belong there. Art =/= Game , will never be. But, from Art as view of expression = on a game . Can you see difference?
            The difference is , you are using art for creating your game as instrument for presentation. And that presentation is used for bringing appeal , positive by default. And in turn money. Blatantly said.

Maybe not for everyone.

Unfortunately bringing 3D into account , and more pixels , is as art of realism bringing subtle influence on thee.

Limiting expression . Well…my view is not bizarre it just need more documentation .And while is currently subject with puns and utterly bitching nonsense by everyone here,just because you didn’t understood what i said .
            Ofc this is general critic, nothing with this game. However its Double Fine.. so.. it pains me a bit.

PS. My English is not native, so have mercy on me.

• SurprisedMan says:

Think you replied to the wrong post, there.

• BlackeyeVuk says:

Yeah :\ .

• SurprisedMan says:

Still, let me have a go anyway:

“Good answer. But i cannot see why carrier on legs is creative imagination. You see there are great deal of inartful expression , so on that turn, wtf carrier on legs means as view of a game?
            Also its pretty narrow and dull to concentrate on one thing, and call that creative expression.”

It’s what I like to call an ‘example’. This game has lots of little creative things going on, but I picked one thing which I thought was particularly amusing. As for what it’s trying to ‘say’, if you play the game you’d see that the whole game is, on one level, a parody of the over-masculinisation of a lot of games. The combination of ‘mech’ with ‘massive ship’ works as parody because it is so obviously an impractical application of those macho ideals.

“Very few games actually can be called art. Also ,As electronic games tend to misuse basic definition of a “game” . Not only that, but basically becoming interactive movies. That is what 3D represents. Realism . Realism is also one view of an art. And very reason why comics in 3D sucks for example. Because art collide inside . And that is bizarre.”

Why do you have such a narrow view of what art is? The problem with a narrow view is that it becomes impossible to define what art actually is, and you start having to cherry-pick examples of what counts and doesn’t count. Why isn’t art allowed to be a broad range of things, and then the discussion is whether something is successful as an artwork, not whether it’s allowed to be art in the first place.

“Maybe not for everyone.”

Well, precisely.

“Which in case of definition for “game” . Transform rudimentary form of fun into complex array of combining emotions. That where game as form of expression ends. More and more electronic games are flash,pretty pixels and hearty emotional stories , then a game.
            PS. My English is not native, so have mercy on me.”

3D has nothing to do with realism or limiting expression. You can be just as abstract in 3D as you can in 2D. More and more developers are choosing to use 3D in much more stylized ways. As for this game, it does, I suppose, have a semi-realistic sheen to it, but it’s also pretty stylized if you check out some of the enemy designs (which are basically various different monsters with TV screens all over them). None of which has all that much to do with whether the game is imaginative or not…

• valz says:

I can’t do it. GFWL is like a virus. Not as bad as some others, but I don’t put viruses on my computer on purpose.

• RegisteredUser says:

From what I understand GFWL has caused repeated game-relaunching for patching, loss of saves, instability and general annoyance for a lot of people.

Why would any subsequent hate then be uncalled for, if you are forced to use buggy third-party DRM software to play a game you paid for and want to play without hassle?

Though I obviously blame the people buying GFWL products in the first place(right after the ones making and bundling GFWL, that is). As always, zero marketplace acceptance would mean they would have to rethink.

Any sale arguably can be interpreted as agreement with mistreatment, even if you really do hate it. Only cash counts.

2. BlackeyeVuk says:

Simplicity with ton of content .
    Is that too much for comprehending what is ideal game for everyone? – This game has nice concept. But.. 3D gaming is utterly boring. That is why initially Zwinga became powerhouse.

2D- art graphics . Simplicity . Ton ,a ton-of-content with nice polishing. So people could see you care about your game. And you will win. EVERYTHING.

Note- For casual players that is.

• SurprisedMan says:

What?

• BlackeyeVuk says:

What i said. Games today… utterly out of imagination.

Not to mention , abysmal use of human psychology . I mean , come on, there is library of books “how to sell things” . You just need to aim for player ego, and there you have it. You don’t understand?

Well good.

• SurprisedMan says:

Insofar as I can figure out what you’re actually trying to say, it’s just bizarre. Supposing I accept the proposition that games have no imagination any more (which seems a weird thing to bring up in a thread about a game which features an AIRCRAFT CARRIER ON LEGS, but anyway…), what does that have to do with 3D? How does adding an extra dimension suddenly kill the ability for developers to have imaginative ideas? Of course it doesn’t, and of course you’re just being silly.

Not that I even DO accept the equally silly propositon that games aren’t imagnative any more, since you only have to pay a tiny bit of attention to realise we’re living in a time where more games are coming out, of more different kinds, and in more shapes and sizes than ever in the history of the medium.

Smashbox says:

3D is utterly boring.

What is this, I don’t even.

Very bizarre criticism.

• DarkFarmer says:

hilarious rants for the hilarious rant god. I call him KROGAN.

3. Flakfizer says:

This might be nice but i can’t see ’cause there is a big robot in the way.

RedViv says:

You will admire the glory of the big steaming WW1 robot, dammit!

Smashbox says:

I’ve been banging my drum for this one for a while. Let me be not-the-first-to-say FINALLY.

5. Pazguato says:

Really looking forward to this.

RedViv says:

Yes please thanks.
    This August is a really swell month, viruses and blobs and heroic academies and giant iron machines of war and all.

7. pkt-zer0 says:

Going to get this regardless of GfWL, because GIANT STOMPY ROBOTS are a weakness of mine.

• neonordnance says:

Ditto. I still need to play Psychonauts first though. Perhaps they will have an expanded Double Fine pack in the winter sale, so I can pick up the well-received Stacking and Costume Quest also.

Oh, and I am a huge sucker for alternative history games. Anyone know any other good ones?

8. lokimotive says:

For me, this was certainly the least interesting of the string of Double Fine games. I still may get it as it got a lot of , hey this is fun, reviews, but I’m not going to run to it like I did Costume Quest or Stacking.

I’m getting the impression that we’ll never see Brutal Legend this side of the digital divide. I realize it didn’t really live up to its hype, but I’d still like to give it a spin and don’t feel like dropping the bucks for a console.

• demonarm says:

Due to the fact that it was a 3D RTS masquerading as a traditional action-adventure, Brütal Legend was misunderstood and overlooked by many. I played it from start to finish and loved (almost) every second. It found it really worked well as a homage/satire of heavy metal fantasy. Such a shame we’ll never see it on PC.

• Pazguato says:

I couldn’t agree more. The mix of RTS and action-adventure seemed sacrilegious to some but it was fresh and ambitious. Loved the world, characters and story.

RedViv says:

Essentially, it’s Sacrifice with a bit more direct character action, and Heavy Metal instead of weird bubbly fantasy.
        And I loved every bloody minute of it. Maybe not every second. But every minute.

• D3xter says:

Same here, not sure if I want to get it yet and I would prefer Brütal Legend so much more but the fact that it’s turning up on PC somehow got my interest up from “bah, screw this!” to “might be alright” being somewhat marred by the likelyhood of GFWL on this (since Microsoft Games Studios likely paid for it and published it). Although if this is actually Co-Op it might turn that interest right up again…
      Toy Soldiers btw. is one of the first games to launch with GFWL and abandon it with the latest (upcoming) Patch, that put that game right up on my radar: http://www.signalstudios.net/forums/#/discussion/291/toy-soldiers-patch-notes-for-1-1/p1

That said, why would they want our children? They’re useless!

• KDR_11k says:

It’s definitely a coop game. The main campaign is a bit easy for coop but the expansion levels and the endless survival levels should offer enough challenge even with the full four people in play.

PoulWrist says:

If you are a metal head BL will tickle a few fun bones, especially if you like 80s metal and poking fun at it. Other than that, the game was incredibly hard to play with a controller and I pined for a mouse and keyboard. Never finished it as a result.

• InternetBatman says:

Brutal Legend is one of the very few games on the X-box that I really want to see on PC. Blue dragon (I think) is another.

9. JackDandy says:

I’ve always wanted to play this. This is pretty good news!

G-Lord says:

I guess I have to speed up the co-op playthrough of Orcs Must Die 2 then. Didn’t buy it on console as I hoped for a PC release.

11. RagingLion says:

More like Brad Muir is a national treasure. I hear salutes can be pretty fun.

12. squirrel says:

The mechs look quite similar to those in Capcom’s Lost Planet, but without infantry gameplay.

13. Magnusm1 says:

I don’t get it. Is the game named Trenched or Iron Brigade?

• PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Iron Brigade is the new name Trenched was the original name for the game but triggered a lengthy legal dispute which is why this game has taken such a long time to reach PC.

• KDR_11k says:

I don’t think that was the reason for the delay to the PC. It was the reason for the delayed European release but that’s been a while ago. The PC delay was purely MS deciding that the XBox needs exclusives.

14. Arglebargle says:

Don’t care who made it, or what the subject is: After my experiances with GFWL, I don’t play any games infected with it, even if they are free.

15. MeestaNob says:

GFWL = no.

Love Double Fine, but they can thank MS for their failure to sell this one.

16. adonf says:

“aside from that motion-controlled Sesame Street game”

They also made a casual motion-controlled game that we’re probably not going to see on PC.

17. Scrawnto says:

Man, Brad Muir getting snubbed here. Tim may be the creative-director for the studio, but Mr. Muir was the director and project-lead of this game.