Alloda Changes: Allods Expansion Allows Allod Ownership

By Jim Rossignol on August 8th, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

An Allod, as I understand it, is one of the many shattered bits of the Allods Online world that makes up the floating archipelago in which the game is set. The latest patch, New Horizons, introduces the opportunity for players to own an Allod, as well as build upon it. There’s also a revamped psionicist class, and some other changes to how things work that are intended to please the existing audience. All this is detailed in a new trailer, which I’ve carelessly dropped down the back of this post. It’s introduced, for reasons I can’t quite fathom, by a crab and a troll playing battleships with Allods own flying space galleons.

Allods Online is of course free to play, very pretty, and by all accounts, a bit unbalanced. Still, it might be worth a look if you’re in the market for paying nothing at all.

As a footnote, I still love the look of the Arisen faction. More games should have an undead Egypto-goth technomagic sect.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. aliksy says:

I remember this game. Played for about an hour, got bored. Friend got obsessed, played for a month, afterwards thought he must’ve gone temporarily insane.

2. Baines says:

Watched the video and still don’t really know what the game actually is. Or even what an “Allod” is. I just know that it has flying boats, people with fairy wings, and little connection between attack and hit animations.

• werix says:

Yeah, I don’t think that video is supposed to make sense if you actually don’t play the game. Something tells me it you do, things like trade wars and Dragon aspects or whatever makes perfect sense.

• LionsPhil says:

And, apparently, a pirate ship full of little yappy dogs.

• dazman76 says:

My initial thought when seeing the main image was “Ooo, they have Eldar in this game?” :) Unfortunately Firefox has eaten all of my tooltips for some time now, so if the tooltip mentions Eldar please don’t judge my IQ to be in single figures. It’s at least 11!

EDIT: Crap, reply fail. OK, so maybe I was over-selling the IQ thing.

3. SeraphyGoodness says:

That Arisen faction looks like its taking some serious design cues from Privateer Press’ Cryx faction.

• daemon23 says:

When I saw the screenshot, first thing I thought was “soul cages?”

• Screwie says:

Oh yes, that was my first thought too. Also the reason why I chose the Arisen in my brief stint with the game last year.

They are Cryx mixed with slightly gothic Egyptian and technological themes… so Cryx meets Necron (meets Khemri)? Ignoring what the game is like to actually play, its character design is rather pretty and the Arisen are the best looking race in it.

4. hypercrisis says:

I’m getting a Skies of Arcadia vibe

5. Whisperduke says:

Update or not. Still a fail pay to win MMO.

6. LionsPhil says:

In what version of Battleships™ do you get to move again after a hit?

7. lorddon says:

Allods at one point had an incredible amount of buzz going for it, then gpotato shit all over the in-game store and killed whatever excitement people had for the game.

Seriously, how can you screw up ship to ship combat between player-built space galleons? Goddamnit I’m still pissed about this.

8. sokkur says:

Imagine yourself that Allodos never existed. Instead there would be a game similar in size based on the Heroes of Might and Magic series. What do you think it would be like?

Comment on this story