Huh: Sacred Citadel Is A Side-Scrolling Brawler

By Nathan Grayson on August 8th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Aaaaugh, killing you is the only way I can get this health meter out of my eyes.

First up, a disclaimer: Sacred Citadel is not Sacred 3. If it was, the entire planet would be rent asunder by a volcanic eruption of enraged fans that’d spew out into the streets and converge on developer Southend Interactive’s offices. That’s because it’s a self-described “co-op side-scrolling brawler set in the world of Ancaria,” which is quite the far cry from the Sacred series Diablo-ish ARPG lineage. As a prelude to the in-development Sacred 3, then, it’s a bit of an odd choice. Honestly, though, it doesn’t look half-bad. Different? Sure. But I’m up for hacking and slashing from a side view as well as a top-down one. I am, in that respect, an incredibly versatile human being.

Looks sort of fun, right? Now then, here’s the official word from Sacred HQ:

“Sacred Citadel, a downloadable title developed by Southend Interactive, is a co-op side-scrolling brawler set in the world of Ancaria. Sacred Citadel is not Sacred 3. That game is still being developed, and we’ll have more news about both Sacred Citadel and Sacred 3 relatively soon.”

“There are several playable character classes, such as the Safiri Warrior, the Ancarian Ranger and the Khukuri Shaman, each with a different skill set that can be further individualized through RPG features and collectible items. Each character will also have the ability to dual-wield two exchangeable weapons, use combo attacks and perform double jumps.”

And, sure enough, a quick trip to Sacred’s official website yields, among other things, a grayed-out image of Sacred 3 that reads “coming soon.” So hopefully we’ll know something about it before too long – especially since original series developer Ascaron looted an epic set of insolvency papers back in 2009. The developer has since closed up shop entirely. Southend’s portfolio, meanwhile, doesn’t provide evidence of any experience in the realm of ARPGs, so odds are, someone else will be doing the honors on Sacred 3. (Update: According to a press release, keen games is handling development and aiming for a 2013 release. That’s a bit worrisome, seeing as keen’s track record is, er, kind of not great.)

We’ll see, though. Citadel’s slated to launch in 2013, and both Gamescom and PAX are right around the corner, so perhaps some form of announcement is in order? That is, after all, traditionally the way these things work. Or maybe Sacred 3′s actually been out for years, and no one’s noticed. I mean, have we really, you know, checked? I’m gonna go dig through my sofa cushions, just to make sure.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. mr.ioes says:

At least we know that Sacred 3 won’t be an MMO according to an official forum post. Also, Keen Games created Anno 1701 amongst many “uninteresting” titles, so they are able to produce AAA titles, when they planets align accordingly.

2. Zeewolf says:

Liked the trailer. Mostly because of the music, though.

3. Tom De Roeck says:

Ah. Yes. Anno 1701 DS was supposedly on the poor side.

So why are they letting a console porter take care of development of a strong brand? Im telling you, german publishers are mad.

• Felixader says:

I think it has a bit more to do with a miss of identity.

You know how there is kinda a battle going on between the business and the creative side of us game making?
      I have the feeling this is very balanced in germany to a point where none of these sides come to bare exceptional ll fruits of their respective half.
      I further have the feeling that the german games industry doesn’t really have an identity and that is reflected in many things of the “industry”.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Admittedly, I don’t know much about the German game industry, but I always thought of Crytek as being the big face of the industry.

• ScubaMonster says:

Would there even be a way to make a GOOD port of Anno 1701 for the DS?

4. SkittleDiddler says:

waitwaitwaitwait…Sacred 3 is in development? Sweet Jesus cinnamon titties blarrahagsdfkl;awert34gbujhklts45

• Balm says:

Precisely. I too am baffled that this franchise is still not buried, considering how awful first two Sacreds were.

• DK says:

You are crazy. Sacred 1 and 2 were both excellent. Especially the unique classes and skill system.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Yeah, you seemingly mistook my excitement for some kind of hatred for the series. I love both Sacred and Sacred 2; they’re both highly immersive, graphically stunning, and offer more content that most other ARPGs out today.

I want — no, I need — another Sacred game.

5. Metonymy says:

Finally, a background boss that takes the battle seriously.

6. theleif says:

Makes me think of Golden Axe. Me like.

7. Andy says:

It’s hard to tell but is this completely in two dimensions (a bit like Shank) or is there some vertical movement too more like Streets of Rage or Knights of the Round.
    Actually, this reminds me quite a lot of Knights of the Round. I could definitely go a modernised version or something like that. Somebody phone Capcom immediately!

8. Raydalyze says:

Well, the trailer was fabulous. I shan’t get my hopes up, but I’ve been needing some more co-op side scroller fun

9. MadTinkerer says:

Oh look: someone is finally making a new Golden Axe game. It’s about time.

10. pakoito says:

They finally got it: 2012 graphics, 90s gameplay!

11. Njordsk says:

Just finish whatever you’re doing and work on the damn sacred 3.

More interesting fights and i’m all good.

In S2 it had huge universe, good writing, cool skills but fights felt a little bit “flat”

12. zeroskill says:

Looks sweet, also it apparently has b*tchin battles. You can never go wrong with b*chin battles. Did I mention it has b*tchin battles?

Comment on this story