Stompy Bot Announce New Heavy Gear Game

By Jim Rossignol on August 8th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Dustbin lid and drainpipe armed!
Newly formed developers Stompy Bot are, yes, going to make another Heavy Gear game. We know this because they announced “the exclusive licensing of Dream Pod 9′s Heavy Gear franchise for PC, mobile and console 3D gaming” earlier today…

The last videogame – Heavy Gear II – was in 1999, so it’s been a while since the mech universe has had a digital outing, but that’s all set to change. Robert Dubois, President of Dream Pod 9, press-speaked: “Dream Pod 9 looks forward to working closely with Stompy Bot Productions in developing the next incarnation of Heavy Gear’s 3D video game. Stompy Bot has the drive and talent to bring the world of Heavy Gear to life for all of our fans and a whole new generation of gamers.” The time seems right for another battle of the mech games, too. I noticed someone in an MWO story commenting that “Hawken is Heavy Gear to Mechwarrior Online’s Mechwarrior 2″, or similar. Well, now what does that make the new Heavy Gear game?

Sadly there are no further details at this time, so why not distract yourself by looking at the trailer for the original Heavy Gear game, which I’ve posted below. Oh now things change / stay the same…

The new game will looking infinitely better than this in-game, you’d think. You’d hope. Right guys?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. gulag says:

This is good news. I always found the Heavy Gear games the more ‘convincing’ of the mech games.

• vodka and cookies says:

Yeah me too, the mechs are more realistic compared to walking office towers of Mechwarrior/Battletech and the ludicrous anime mechs.

2. kirkbjerk says:

Black Mamba!

• zind says:

Kodiak!

When I got bored, I used to turn on invincibility so that I could strip off all the armor on my mech in favor of more weapons.

Not that you needed anything but a nice big railgun.

3. Jharakn says:

I hope that’s not their artwork as that’s quite clearly a Tau Crisis Suit there (http://fwd4.me/17LS)

• caddyB says:

That looks like a Tau Battlesuit indeed.
      No I don’t mean GW invented mecha, but come on.

• Antsy says:

Considering that the Tau were introduced years after Heavy Gear was released I fail to understand your outrage.

And lets face it, they’re all just borrowing from Appleseed and its ilk.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

“But they’re totally ripping Blizzard off!!!!”

Second of all, I can’t believe anyone’s defending the stylistic originality of the Tau. If they’d colored that thing in the picture anything but dirty orange, I doubt the connection would ever have been made.

(Anyway, it looks like a looted one judging from the jawpiece. Waaagh~n.)

• KDR_11k says:

I think it looks more like the Tortoise than any of the Dogs. The shoulder parts look like those from the RX-79 Gundams though.

• Syra says:

Looks more like one of the old plastic gundam model kits I had, the arm joints and the shield (grasped in the hand) and all.

Thinking of tau first makes me think you are either very new to mecha or very young… for tau are the most derivative of all of these things and it’s really only the colours that make me think even remotely of them!

• Dilapinated says:

Honestly, the first thing I saw was a Tau battlesuit, too. I think it’s the colour scheme (dirty orange + white + blueish grey) and the head that really do it.

I’m not saying the Tau are original, but it certainly jumped out at me as one.

• ZyloMarkIII says:

I have to agree. The Tau’s distinctive color scheme along with the head piece made me think this was a Battlesuit as well. The choice of a forearm-strapped shield, though, made me think otherwise.

• mondomau says:

Seriously? The only thing that is ‘unique’ to the Tau suit is the colour (orange not all that common for mechs) – everything else about it is just generic mecha heritage.

4. Trithne says:

I have to say this pleases me. Heavy Gear’s mechs are actually pretty grounded in reality: They’re smaller than Battletech’s and their design is aimed at actually leveraging the advantages of being a bipedal robot rather than just being a giant walking tank. Also tanks are a goddamn threat to you.

And the SMS was so much fun.

• campingfag says:

I mean I don’t have anything against the more humanoid, gear/gundam style of mech (I mean its all entertainment, so whatever floats your boat) but don’t even try to argue that giving giant complicated battle machines hands and arms are more grounded in reality. Control issues aside, read up on armored vehicle design. The more complexity you add to a design, the less space you have for armor and weapons.

Why bother with an articulated hand, when just putting a gun there is going to do the job? Why bother with arms at all? I could kind of see battletech mechs having a use in that they combine the greater armament load of a ground vehicle with far greater mobility than tracked or wheeled vehicles (its why the military is developing walking robots), but they really are just tanks.

• KDR_11k says:

In VOTOMS (which supposedly inspired Heavy Gear) the mechs are pretty much very lightly armored vehicles for urban environments. They’re only slightly larger than power armor, protect only against small arms fire and carry larger weapons than infantry does (and you can fit six of them on one transport truck). Tanks are still a massive threat to the mechs in open environments but the mech is about on par with infantry in terms of dealing with narrow areas. Of course in the VOTOMS setting buildings tend to be large enough that mechs can go indoors. At that scale it’s kinda understandable that you’d want manipulator arms on your vehicle to deal with obstacles.

Oh and the setting has an endless war between galaxy spanning superpowers that will sacrifice men as readily as WH40k’s Imperial Guard and can deploy forces of hundreds of thousands of mechs easily.

• Trithne says:

So you just don’t like manipulators?

It’s a scale thing anyway, what I was referring to. Gears are not dozens of feet tall mechs that knock over trees. Gears can hide behind trees if they’re clever about it. That is what I find I prefer about it, it’s sensible. Mechwarrior, while great fun, is utterly absurd on every level, and a lot of the mechs honestly are tanks with legs glued to the bottom.

Manipulators make more sense at that level too, since there’s actually a possibility of there being things worth having the ability to pick up and hold.

• Blackhound says:

“Why bother with an articulated hand, when just putting a gun there is going to do the job? Why bother with arms at all?”

In Heavy Gear, they have almost the full movement of humans. They crawl, kneel, leap, swim, climb, drop weapons, pick up others, and you can even deploy folding weapons. Sure, there’s mounted and fixed weaponry in many cases. But do you want to have a huge weapon hanging off of your ride for a week after you’ve already expended all the ammo and you can’t get to a supply depot?

Gears are heavily reinforced military exosuits and the technology originated as mining hardware, being that Heavy Gear takes place solely on a harsh colonized world. Some of them have complex and advanced AI that allows them to move and react independently of their pilots, or in the event their pilot is incapacitated continue fighting in their stead, but they’re only a few meters tall, and the superheavy tanks that Earth fields are giant behemoths of death and destruction beside them.

These things are in no way related to Battlemechs or even comparable, so perhaps you should look at BattleTech, where most things do just have guns for arms. The Gears in Heavy Gear are just oversized powerarmor, meant to augment what a soldier can already do naturally.

5. Hicks233 says:

Nice one! Haven’t played Heavy Gear for years!

6. squareking says:

MECHFACE

Also I remember watching this on the “Coming Soon” section of my Dark Reign disc!

7. Dominic White says:

Heavy Gear 2 was fantastic. Far better than Mechwarrior, IMHO. You actually felt like you were in a humanoid mech that was capable of everything a human was and then some. Jump-jets, space maneuvering thrusters + grav-boots, deployable rollers for fast movement over flat terrain and melee weapons.

The way it handled health was very interesting, too. Armor actually behaved like armor. A heavy unit would just laugh at machinegun fire at long range – it would literally do zero damage, bouncing harmlessly off the plates. Get right up to point blank and hit the weaker rear armor and it would punch straight through and do internal damage despite being the same weapon.

• mckertis says:

“You actually felt like you were in a humanoid mech that was capable of everything a human was”

What was the point then ??

• Trithne says:

The “and then some”. They have more movement options than Battlemechs, in fact.

• Dominic White says:

What’s the point of making humanoid mechs that can do less than a human? You might was well just make a tank. The entire concept of giant walking robots is that they’ve got all the advantages of a living creature, but a whole bunch of perks from being machines.

• LionsPhil says:

Because lumbering walking tanks are cool.

Big blokes wearing cardboard boxes are not. Mechas with hands are rubbish. Rubbish, I say.

• Brun says:

That’s essentially what the mechs in Mechwarrior are. Mechs are very similar to tanks in that they serve the same purpose – a mobile, armored, ground-based platform for heavy weaponry. The biggest difference between them is size (and corresponding weapon potency and capacity) and mode of locomotion. It’s implied that mechs have an advantage over tracked or wheeled armored vehicles because they’re more maneuverable and agile in rough terrain. It’s also implied that there’s a limit to the scalability of the traditional tracked/wheeled “tank” – that is, you can only scale it up (to accommodate larger/more weapons) so far before it starts becoming impractical.

Finally, the design of mechs is meant to intimidate – like the AT-ATs from Star Wars, their most effective use is as terror weapons.

• Dominic White says:

In the Battletech rules, mechs can climb, crawl, kick, punch, carry stuff and generally behave a lot more flexibly. They can also trip, skid, get pushed over and have some disadvantages befitting a giant robot, too.

The irony here is that Heavy Gear is probably much closer to Battletech than Mechwarrior, and yet the Mechwarrior fans are complaining isn’t not mech-ish enough.

8. lorddon says:

Keep your Mad Cats, I want a lithe and agile Hunter or even a Kodiak any day.

9. tlarn says:

Wouldn’t the robots in Heavy Gear be classified as armor rather than a full mech, since they move and act so much like a person and aren’t that much larger than one?

Reason I enjoy Battletech design is because they are so large and unwieldly; they have to be treated differently and with a different mode of thought. You know?

I just like big stompy mechs over big robo-people.

10. Durkonkell says:

Whee! I was thinking only a couple of days ago “I wish someone would make a new Heavy Gear game”! Heavy Gear 2 was really good, I liked it a lot. Although I did have a tendency to take fire in an inconvenient place causing my torso to lock up (and in the game).

(Also: you seem to have tagged this “drop pod 9″. Although actually I think that’s a better name than “dream pod 9″ anyway. Maybe they should change to accommodate you rather than the other way round?)

• Antsy says:

Me too! I’ve been thinking about it a lot since Mechwarrior reappeared and did a double-take when I saw this article.

Now what I want is a remake of Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri!

11. Lemming says:

Like others have also said, I always preferred the Gears to the Mechs. I always loved that original trailer when he hops out of the suit and runs for it as well. hopefully stuff like that will play into the new game more.

12. mckertis says:

Do we need more of this DP9 nonsense ? Just license the damn 0079 already !

13. mrmalodor says:

Such a shame that it’s impossible to play the old Heavy Gears on modern PCs. I never got to play them back in the day because my PC was too slow.

14. JackDandy says:

This is fucking sweet. I’ve always wanted to play the games, but none of them run on more modern machines.

I’m a sucker for VOTOMS-style “small-scale, roller-dashing mechs”.

I just hope it won’t be another F2P deal, like MWO and Hawken.

15. Skeletor68 says:

Aw man I used to love the original (never played 2). Used to use nothing but the cheetah armour with high speed and stealth and only the snub gun. Unbelievable fun,

16. c-Row says:

Yay, I’m officially ‘someone’! :-)

To keep the analogy, I hope Heavy Gear 3 will be what Mechwarrior 3 was to its predecessor – a worthy sequel that improved on its assets, gameplay and storytelling while not straying away too far from the “original” game.

I wasn’t too fond of MW4, though, so they better keep that out of the equation.

• Tom De Roeck says:

Did you try MW4 Mercs?

• adonf says:

Does this mean that Hawken is the new Heavy Gear like MWO was the new Mechwarrior 2 ?

If so, shouldn’t it be “Hawken is Heavy Gear to Mechwarrior 2’s Mechwarrior Online″ ?

I’m sorry to dig up an old thread but I’ve just spent my lunch break trying to figure out this single sentence. I’m a complete stranger to these SAT analogies, and because of this I miss out on most American late night shows. Someone please help me find Conan funny.

17. subedii says:

For me the key question is: Is this going to be a standalone title, or another F2P “online” title?

Because the latter I’m afraid loses a lot of interest from me.

18. Solidstate89 says:

I’d love it if SEGA were to bring back a sequel to Chromehounds to the PC. It was an utterly brilliant mech game that never got very much light being stuck on the Consolebox 360.

19. Yosharian says:

YES YES YES I _LOVE_ those old Heavy Gear games

20. SeraphyGoodness says:

Oh dear god YES! Sooo many hours/days/weeks lost to the HG universe.. this is very very good news.

21. Kageru says:

Sounds good to me. The huge scale of the robots in mechwarrior means the interaction with the environment is limited and the combat looks simplistic. In World of tanks a really good player can use every terrain feature and thus the terrain and inter-play of units becomes highly tactical. Power-suits and urban environments like this or Hawken also have potential for the use of terrain.

22. kzrkp says:

Dear RPS please make my Heavy Gear 1 and Heavy Gear 2 work under Windows 7, thanks. :(

23. One Pigeon says:

Can we just quit all this messing around and get to the meat of this mecha revival issue.

Terra Nova remake please.

24. aircool says:

Does that mean that the new Tau Codex is ready for release?

25. Pindie says:

The mobile and console games part worried me until I realized they must be thinking about re-using assets and making different games for different platforms. I hope.

I just hope tey do not change the feel of the game and make it console-primary like they did with the Front Mission:Combat Evolved. That was such let down.

Fingers crossed and wallet open.

Comment on this story