Independent Games Festival 2013 Submissions Open

By Jim Rossignol on August 9th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

It's independent!
Indies can now submit their game to the IGF. The IGF Committee report: “Following over 850 entries to IGF 2012, the Festival has expanded each existing category to six finalists, all of which will be available in playable form at a larger, expanded IGF Pavilion on the GDC show floor, and will compete for nearly $60,000 in prizes.” $30,000 of that is for the Seumas McNally Grand Prize. Really, though, it’s about the prestige of being a game development hero.

Submissions close on October 17th, 2012 at 11:59pm PDT. So hurry!

1. Jams O'Donnell says:

Will you be entering, Mr. R?

2. rustybroomhandle says:

So far no bickering, just mild snarking in the Twitterverse.

3. TillEulenspiegel says:

Really, though, it’s about the prestige of being a game development hero.

For prestige, wouldn’t you need someone besides the winners to care about who won the award? An Oscar it ain’t.

4. Hoaxfish says:

Fez needs a hat trick

• rustybroomhandle says:

Maybe they can enter the patch that they could not submit to XBLA.

• BooleanBob says:

Yeowch. So much burn, it went all the way back around to cold.

• Gnoupi says:

Maybe he will announce a “special pc remastered edition”.

5. Gasmask Hero says:

Why should I care?

The only reason that such awards exist is to provide a measure of a given developers esteem amongst other developers. This does not equate to wider recognition, is not a measure of any given games quality within it’s genre and does not drive sales.

I do not base my purchases on whether or not any given game is an IGF finalist. I do not know if any of the games that I own have IGF awards and to be honest, as stated, I do not care.

6. hemmingjay says:

IGF is a total wank! Multiple “winners” have never finished their games even 2-3 years later(I’m looking at you particularly Monaco). Until they stop treating this as a hipster exercise in masturbation consider me and the world at large, unimpressed and uninterested.

• BurningPet says:

I think the main advantage of it is the exposure really, plus, i bet a nominees in there have much easier life at getting into steam.

• hemmingjay says:

If you were to enter Towns I am sure you would get much support.

7. caddyB says:

How good is Fez anyway?

Mo says:

My GOTY so far.

RobF says:

Very good.

• DuddBudda says:

to paraphrase idle thumbs:
      a mediocre platformer with an obsfuscated Myst waiting within

in my own experience:
      my 360 was bust, and it was not worth buying the replacement just for Fez

• MadTinkerer says:

It doesn’t matter because it’s not out for PC yet. I consider all XBLA games to be PC games that are still in development. So the final version of Fez isn’t out yet, and all “reviews” are previews.

See also Retro City Rampage, if they’ll actually finish it this year. Been on my Steam wish list for at least two months now.

8. pakoito says:

Pay 95$ for a judge not to play your game more than 5 minutes. Or at all if there’s any error during installation.

9. noodlecake says:

Hmm… I think they are definitely useful. I’ve never seen a bad game be a finalist and I always check out the games that get nominated. Most years I discover a fair few interesting projects through the awards although the last one was very disappointing for that, especially with Fez winning again. Who did that benefit? Anybody who might be excited about Fez would have heard about it by then…