Sneaky: Ghost Recon Online Now In Open Beta

By Nathan Grayson on August 9th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

Thousands of years from now, this is what leading archaeologists will believe a game of 'Rock, Paper, Shotgun' looked like.

Zoinks, gang! Guh-guh-guh-guh, guh-guh-guh-guh– highly trained military operatives! After a closed beta skulked its way through the Internet’s murkiest rushes, Ghost Recon Online‘s seen fit to finally flip the open beta switch. This means that anyone – man, beast, or Nosferatu - with a working Internet connection can play it now. And if you’re not one of those things? Well then, too bad.

In a welcome post, Ubisoft outlined what you’ll need to do to get the open beta up-and-running as well as what’s next. Unfortunately, the notoriously janky Uplay service comes part and parcel with the gadget-heavy F2P FPS, so that’s the first hurdle you’ll have to clear. After that, simply grab the client and you’re good to go. There’s also a handy-ish beginner’s guide for the un-active-camouflaged masses, so you might want to give that a brief skim. For instance, I learned that Ghost Recon Online is both “fierce and visceral.”  That, of course, is exactly how I describe myself when meeting new people. I also frequently add that I feature “objective-based matches where the player with the quicker trigger finger isn’t necessarily the winner.”

On top of that, open beta heralds the beginning of weekly missions. This week’s? Continue shooting things, but shoot them better.

“We’re kicking off OB with the first of many weekly missions: Eagle Eye. The goal this week – maintain an accuracy of 15% over 5 matches and you will earn a rare Mark IV armor insert. These missions and their goals will change every week providing new and exciting challenges for you to overcome.”

So that’s the gist of it. Is GRO worth your time, though? Unfortunately, I don’t actually know for sure. Friends who’ve spent time with it have told me it’s pretty solid as far as F2P shooters go, but I’ve also heard reports of sketchy elements that make it pretty difficult to keep an even playing field without ponying up. So then, was anyone in the closed beta? Did it leave you without a penny to your name? Did it also take your name? Do you… do you need hug?

, , , .

1. Syra says:

But did they even fix the issues in future soldier where the keyboard just stops responding?

Can’t trust you anymore Ubi, sorry!

• xavdeman says:

Did they fix the issue where the game is terrible to play and boring on top of that with über small maps and weird ass powerups that have nothing to do with Ghost Recon as Clancy imagined them.

Gap Gen says:

Talking of Nosferatu, this game comes with a warning that it may contain right-angles, right?

3. Mavvvy says:

Hehe does it have over 1,000′s of players fighting over different continents? Free-to-fail in my opinion.

4. EPICTHEFAIL says:

Why the hell does this have Uplay? Sorry, I`m not too eager on getting a boatload of malware on my system via Ubisoft`s incompetent programming.

Jyden says:

I may very well be wrong, but I don’t think uPlay is installed along side with it. If it did, I f’ed up big time.

• Mattressi says:

Yeah, I’m moderately interested in this (so long as it does go the BF: Heroes, massively-pay-to-win [perhaps pay-to-massively-win?], route). However, if I need to install U-Play, I will never touch it. Does anyone know if you need to install Uplay or if you just need to use some website-based version of Uplay?

• s3rioussam says:

Nope, no uPlay installation required. It needs you to sign up for (or log in to) a uPlay account, which is Ubi’s account/id thing on the web, but does not require you to install uPlay at all.

5. Flukie says:

God damn online multiplayer game requiring always on internet connection. Boycotting because of this.

Gap Gen says:

Ooh, ooh. How about conversely, if you connect to the internet while the single player game is installed, you are banned from playing the game ever again?

6. Ocho says:

Okay,

I’ve played it for an hour or so. It doesn’t have uPlay. And it may just be that I’ve never played A ghost recon game, but I feel that the TPS gameplay simply doesn’t work on PC. after an hour of getting used to the game it still felt tedious and slow paced. (You have to trek the entire map every time you respawn, and health regeneration is 1hp/s up to 140hp)

There’s not much harm in trying it (though it is 4GB), but I was hugely disappointed.

• Mattressi says:

Wait, it’s third person only?? I assumed that since it had ironsights, it would allow you to switch into a permanent first person view. Did they really make a TPS with ironsights and no first person? That just seems ridiculous. I can understand making third person views available for cover-shooting and looking around corners, but to put ironsights into a TPS just seems really odd.

Guess I’ll pass on this then. I really thought (hoped…) that TPSs were dead, never to return.

• Snargelfargen says:

“And it may just be that I’ve never played A ghost recon game, but I feel that the TPS gameplay simply doesn’t work on PC. ”

It’s not just you. Ghost Recon was a series of first person shooters that had more in common with games like Rainbow 6 and ARMA. They were slow paced though!

7. irongamer says:

I really wanted to make this game work but the engine is not optimized for two core systems. I’ve been in a number of recent beta and it seems many of the engines are really making use of all those extra cores, finally. Sadly two core systems have been side lined (for optimization “later” or not at all), that means an upgrade for my system.

The gameplay of GRO itself is more like a prolonged trench war. I haven’t played the port of future warrior but the controls for GRO function pretty well on the PC. You will want something with more than 2 cores, even at the lowest settings my old E8400 chunks at times. I’ve scoured their forums and systems with more cores and the same graphics cards seem to do fine.

Hypocee says:

This…is the one with heavy class interdependency, exoskeletal riot-shield charges and such, right? Yeah, I just looked. I’d gotten the impression it was supposed to be more MMO PVP than a shooter per se.

9. Baines says:

“pretty solid as far as F2P shooters go” isn’t necessarily a ringing endorsement. I’d consider most of the F2P shooters that I’ve played as “pretty solid”. No stellar, certainly flawed, but not actually bad. The kind of things that would have been found in a discount bin in a retail store, or a 5-8 year old game you’d pick up at 75% off during a Steam sale. The critical factor of being able to find an online audience to play with/against tends to make up for a lot of shortcomings.

I’m not sure “pretty solid as far as F2P shooters go” is enough to deal with Ubisoft/Uplay and a customization system apparently designed to unbalance the game (going by the promo vid that was hyping the advantage of leveling up and items) which itself reeks of encouraging pay-to-win in a free-to-play model.

10. Beartastic says:

Did anyone else get a popup window from the installer, trying to go to “some.url”? Looks like debug code left in the installer.