Under Pressure: Guild Wars 2 Is Stress Testing Tonight

By John Walker on August 9th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

They don't look stressed at all.

Have you pre-ordered Guild Wars 2? It seems there are an awful lot of you that have. If you’re amongst that number, then you can join in with a server stress test at 8pm tonight, lasting until midnight. A STRESS TEST, OKAY? GOD!

The announcement, rather stupidly pasted on Facebook (thanks, IncGamers), reads:

We will be conducting a stress test on Thursday, August 9 from 12:00 Noon PACIFIC Time to 4:00 PM PACIFIC Time. The stress test is open to anyone who has pre-purchased Guild Wars 2. We will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed. Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch. By participating in this stress test, you’re helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game. Thanks for your cooperation—we’ll see you in-game!

Why not join 200,000 people in watching Felicia Day taking it out of a box:

__________________

« | »

1. diamondmx says:

I guess I’ll be playing this when they release a demo.
    Or go F2P, whichever comes first.

• Malk_Content says:

There already is no subscription fee, so free to play seems unlikely. A short demo would be nice, especially if it let you get to say lvl 10 and allowed you to do some PvP.

• diamondmx says:

And join a group with other demo users.
        That’s something that’s missing from most trials at the moment – the multiplayer part.

• Wreckdum says:

Warhammer Online had a decent free trial. You could play up to level 10 or whatever the limit was and participate in RVR.

It’s a shame the game was crap. lol

GW2 on the other hand…. Holy shit I need to get my jerk off rag ready for this afternoon!

• FriendlyFire says:

You can’t not play in a “group” in GW2 considering all events happen in the world with people around you. At worst a demo would limit your ability to party up.

Forget it going F2P though, it’s as close to it as it’s gonna get.

• Byron_Black says:

I’d hope they follow the same demo scheme they did for guild wars. You got 10 hours of access to the full game. I got half way through mine before i paid for the game 6865 hour later and im still playing XD.

• wccrawford says:

They actually have an in-game store for real cash, and the previous games eventually got pretty low in price. So I could see it happening, eventually.

• RvLeshrac says:

How much more free-er can you get than not having a subscription? That’s like saying you’ll play Just Cause 2 “when it goes free to play.”

• derbefrier says:

waiting for a trial for this myself. Well if it wasn’t for darksouls coming out at the same time i would probably just buy it but since i will be busy with that for at least a month i figured i’ll wait and and see what people really think after the get a chance to really dig into the meat of the game and the shininess wears off. I have seen a lot of good first impressions but we all know how MMOs are really polished at the beginning and tend to have major issues at end game upon release since its generally the least tested content. I don’t wanna go through another SWTOR(some of the buggiest end game i have ever experienced)

• Suits says:

F2P? More like a trial, it doesn’t have subscription.

• Crius says:

Just waiting for a trial too.
      I’ve to check if my notebook can run it decently before throwing 55€ out of the window.

• Evil Betty says:

Is there place for me on the Free2Play bandwagon too?

2. Herkimer says:

All of the stress tests, including this one, have fallen square in the middle of my work day (although for one of them I was stuck in a meeting so inconsequential that I might as well have been slaughtering rats. And in the game) so it’s really no skin off my back either way, but:

If the key difference between this stress test and the previous, apparently non-stressful stress tests is that they’re actually, like, putting stress on the server, wouldn’t the previous stress tests have better been called “fun bonus time for pre-orders”?

• Malk_Content says:

The previous ones were very much Beta test. Lots of people probably used them as demo time, but the ease with which they asked for information meant I was filling out forms all the time. The weekends were primarily to test content and systems, alot of which has been tweaked, the stress tests purely to see how well the servers hold up with any tweaks they have made.

[EDIT] and you haven’t missed much with the stress tests. Presumably server populations will spread out more after release but you can definitely tell they are under pressure.

• Herkimer says:

Ah, that makes sense. I didn’t realize they were pushing out tweaked builds for the stress tests; thought it was just “that was fun, have some more!”

• RvLeshrac says:

One thing people don’t understand is that for both GW2 and GW, the “beta” was exactly that. You’re playing as close to the internal build as possible without actually being on the internal build.

Easy to push out new builds when the very nature of your game doesn’t require that you restart the servers.

• Malk_Content says:

Oh god my favourite thing so far has been “There has been an update, please restart your client” and having to only be gone for 30 seconds or so.

• Vorphalack says:

…..and then you load back in, go back to an area that had a broken event, and its working properly every time. Puts every other ”beta” i’ve been in to shame.

• Herkimer says:

Certainly the beta has played like an actual beta for me, and not just early access for preorders. Like, I’ve actually reported bugs and been contacted in-game by someone from ANet to try to replicate it. That and the automatic 1-5 “Whadya think” box that pops up when you finish doing something. But without having played the earlier stress tests (and IIRC, didn’t they keep all of the same BWE servers open for the stress tests), it didn’t seem like they were doing anything different from the BWEs.

• emertonom says:

I can’t speak with authority about the GW tests, because I haven’t been part of them, but typically in a stress test devs would artificially reduce the number of available servers, so they can make sure things don’t go sideways if a server gets maxed out. It’d mean you might encounter some unpleasant edge cases, but it helps prevent the kind of problems that plagued the Diablo 3 launch.

• Groove says:

I believe the previous ones were part still beta stuff, part ‘Oh God server, please don’t implode-test’. Now the servers have eaten their vegtables and have grown up big and strong, so they can handle a proper stress-test.

• vexis58 says:

Same for me. I would think that these “stress tests” would be more effective if they happened in the evening or on weekends when people are actually available to stress the server. The timeframe puts this stress test right in the middle of my lunchbreak, but the firewall at work completely prevents me from logging in to GW2. I’d really love to be able to help them make their servers work better….

• Blackseraph says:

It is evening/early night in whole Europe so I am fairly certain they have enough people for the stress test.

I actually like it that they aren’t being USA centrist here. There actually are people outside of it.

• RvLeshrac says:

I wonder how well they can actually stress-test when they keep running stress tests dead-center of the work day for the majority of the population.

• Phantoon says:

To be fair, it’s also when they’re at their jobs, so they don’t have to burn a late night at their job.

• Keneb says:

Is this the infamous US blindspot to European players? It’s nice and primetime over here, and for those MMOs that release the figures, the western audience is usually a fairly even split between US/EU players, so they’re not losing out. Additionally, they get to do their work in work hours!

• frymaster says:

the weekend betas let players test content, the evening stress tests are almost solely about the infrastructure guys testing loads

The first weekend I played was plagued with disconnect/login issues; there was a stress test not long after, presumably with back-end fixes, and indeed was a lot more stable

Then the next weeked featured a lot of the immediate complaints being addressed (no “sell all junk” button for example) and so on through the weekends.

3. Groove says:

The stressful part is the game not being out yet.

COME ON. GAAAMMMMEEE.

• Hoaxfish says:

Also, your girlfriend/wife/fiancé is pregnant and about to give brith, and you need to send in your tax return form by tomorrow.

• Groove says:

Also, I only have 24 hours to stop a nuclear bomb and why am I naked, I’m in the middle of a math test.

• vee41 says:

Naked in middle of math test, commenting at RPS? That’s hardcore.

4. Cinnamon says:

Watching people taking things out of boxes is in a way like watching something with a canned laughter track.

• MajorManiac says:

It is a rather strange thing to do. Though Felicia Day does make the whole thing rather funny. She’s a good comic.

• Phantoon says:

Yeah, except still not as bad as some certain shows that use canned laughter.

5. Cryo says:

Well I’m stressed.

6. mbr says:

I feel like I’m alone in thinking that Guild Wars just looks like any other Everquest derivative MMO and is getting way over hyped just like Warhammer and will probably disappoint a lot of people just like Warhammer.

• Vorphalack says:

Replace Guild Wars with SWtOR and you are not only not alone, but dead right. A few months too late, but dead right.

• Herkimer says:

From my experiences playing during the beta weekends:

There are enough points of departure from the standard DIKU-based MMO that the game feels fresh to me. There’s nothing particularly revolutionary, but enough evolutionary changes that the whole feels like something new. A couple examples:

-combat feels tighter and more engaging than the standard. Positioning and reaction are a lot more important than making sure you get your rotation off.
      -I was skeptical, but it does really seem like they got rid of the tank-heal-DPS trinity. That’s not to say that certain class and spec combinations don’t work best for certain content, but you’re not totally gimped if you want to run a party of DPS through a dungeon, or something liket hat.
      -Gathering and crafting are actually kinda fun and don’t make me want to gouge my eyes out.
      -Ditto travel.
      -As much as I enjoyed open-world PVP in other games, the strict separation here between PVE and PVP makes for much better balancing, at least so far.
      -Relatively few traditional quests, replaced by the renown hearts, which can be completed in a number of ways (I’ve done the same hearts purely by beating things up, and purely peacefully, and some combination of the two), and the world events, which actually do feel consequential.

Like I said, none of it’s revolutionary (except maybe the lack of the trinity thing), but it’s at least a different take on the standard model rather than a straight rehash.

• Ranger33 says:

The last MMO I truly enjoyed was Asheron’s Call (original EQ era), everything since then has fallen short of that first high water mark. I’ve tried a dozen MMO’s over the years and I was usually bored within an afternoon with each (SWG being the exception, until it went downhill). However, GW2 really is a fresh and fun experience that I can actually see myself playing daily for months if not years. The game doesn’t reinvent the wheel, it just does everything better. Without going into a big spiel, I will just say that I have yet to see anything in the game that I didn’t absolutely love, in terms of features, classes, races, dynamic events, PvP, crafting, graphics, art design, and everything else.

• Kuroko says:

You are right, GW2 is the same shit, with some added shallow gimmicks to make it look innovative.

7. Kaiji says:

I find it amazing how my excitement for this game went from “I think I’ll die if I don’t play it soon” about a year ago to “I couldn’t care less if I never play this game” today.

I might fart around with it if they make it F2P but the more footage I see of it the more twee and soulless it seems.

8. RegisteredUser says:

*goes to google felicia and rule34 as the sole motivation from this post*

9. Drungawunga says:

Nevermind the collectors edition, get that woman a stanley knife – cripes.

10. Etherion says:

It seems that this is only for pre-purchase, not for pre-order… I didn’t have a chance to pre-purchase, so no access for me to the beta and stress tests with my lousy pre-order.
    It’s a shame, since if it’s a real stress test, then shouldn’t all pre-orders (pre-purchase + pre-order) get access to realistically try the load that will be on launch?
    EDIT: There is another stress test today btw: “Thanks for helping in today’s Stress Test! We’re having another Stress Test tomorrow, AUG 10, 4PM-8PM PACIFIC Time http://ow.ly/cRRKG

11. syndicatedragon says:

Is there a way to report spam or spambots here?

12. Snorez says:

Best game unpacking video I’ve seen on you-tube. She sounds genuinely “unpacking a collectors edition ” excited. Oh and “that’s what she said” made me LOL :)

13. Kuroko says:

F2P in 6 months.

14. Quietavenger says:

Guild wars just like wow is nothing more then a delinquent kids games . It has nothing original to say . Boring graphics, boring combat and frankly another copy of wow.

Certainly wont waste my time in WOW pvp 2 , sorry i mean guild wars.

I will be spending my time in Secret world, not this pile of crap. Great graphic, great combat , complex quests to solve and frankly its fun exploration the world of secret world .