Found In Space: Legends Of Pegasus Out Today

By Adam Smith on August 10th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

I thought it would be a game about hooves

Legends of Pegasus is a turn-based space strategy game with realtime but pausable combat, colony management and a plot that falls out of a wormhole and comes across a bit Galactica-like. It’s out later today and I’ve managed to have a quick look, only really testing up to where it stops being a tutorial. With Gamescom and Weissbier taking up so much time next week, closer examination and eventual words about wot we think will be a little delayed so I thought I’d say, ‘hey, that game is out today’ and then add ‘I’m not sure I like the fact that combat, exploring, colonisation and management all take place on what is probably referred to as a ‘seamless’ galactic map.’

Before more words, here’s the trailer for the final race to be revealed.

OK. Good. Now here are my experiences so far and keep in mind they are based on a brief session and also look at Alec’s rather in depth preview as well.

The game starts with a fight between the few surviving ships of my fleet, which have just zipped into an unknown sector of space, and some nasty aliens. Thankfully the nasty aliens have rubbish ships so all I need to do is drag a box around my own vessels and then right click on the enemies. No tactics or strategy, just a lesson in interface and, for the aliens, a lesson in humility.

Once the fight is over, the screen remains on the fleet, drifting around in space, but now an ‘end turn’ button has appeared. I’m told to colonise the only planet in the vicinity, so I select the appropriate ship and right click on the planet. Done. To set the colony into action, I have to double click on the planet and then drag buildings from a menu onto blocks on the planet that represent how much space there is. Some carry bonuses for specific types of building so I drop my factories on the industry tiles and my housing on the social tiles. I am already very good at Legends of Pegasus.

It’s a very basic introduction, teaching movement, construction and combat. However, the next step demonstrated the perils of integrating the turn-based and the realtime on the same map, with no distinction in terms of interface or appearance. The tutorial told me to build a repair dock in orbit around the colonised planet but as I did so, clicking end turn over and over again to complete the job, the ‘end turn’ button suddenly vanished. Enemies were approaching.

When I zoomed out though, I saw that they were so far away that it’d take a couple of minutes for my ships to fly out to them, possibly even longer to wait for them to come into range. So how long is a turn, how far can ships travel between one click and the next? Why couldn’t I just keep ending turns and be alerted when they were closer again? I gathered my ships and sent them into battle. They won because the enemy ships were tinier and less numerous.

I sent my ships back to the planet, waiting for the repair dock to be finished. I couldn’t end the turn. A tiny corvette had now entered the vicinity of the planet and another few minutes was wasted sending a ship to kill it and then return. The interruptions might become less evident when the game becomes more interesting, or they may well become more distracting, but it struck me as being like playing a game of Civ and having to enter real time whenever a barbarian wandered close to a city, not allowed to continue with the actual strategy until it was dead.

I’m interested to see what happens next, with complex research trees and ship construction promised, and all of this probably sounds like nitpicking, but I was genuinely baffled by the way all aspects of the game have been bunched together. I guess I like to do my warring in the war room and my management in the management suite rather than having tiny wars intruding on my all-important strategic summits. Alec’s preview did mention an auto-resolve option and maybe that is revealed later, just like the seemingly awesome terraforming. Maybe it’s already there and I’m too dense to notice it. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Full thoughts when the madness of Gamescom is done, just felt the need to share some quick reservations in case anyone was ready to throw thirty and a few pounds down simply because space is the best.

Legends of Pegasus is available today, priced at £34.99 at the Kalypso digital store and GamersGate or £29.74 on Steam until 6PM when it is released thanks to a 15% preorder discount. It’s probably available other places as well, so apologies if I didn’t mention your favourite shop. EDIT: ChainsawHands down in yon comments spots what looks like the best deal yet – £22.85 at shopto.net.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. RF says:

I’m sorry, but I’m not paying £30 for a random Kalypso 4x when there’re a lot out there far more competitively priced and (more than likely) better.

• chromeshelter says:

This.

I mean, dont get me wrong: Tropico 4, as Kalypsos flagship is awesome, but a new developer releasing a game in a curently buzzing genre (with Sins Rebellion and Endless Space out there, many great titles around the corner)… this is just a no.

RedViv says:

Judging from the official boards and various others, I’d tell everyone to stay away from this game as of now. Massively buggy, heavy performance issues, clunky interface, weird balance issues, dev team looking for excuses…
      I get that it’s the first release from a small independent studio, but still – that’s not exactly painting the best picture.

• socrate says:

kalypso is an horrible company and even with other x4 title coming out i still think the best of all of them is still Master of Orion 2 without any competition coming even close to an old ass 16 year old game

for me endless space was just another huge deception,with dumbed down gameplay and non interactive gameplay with good graphic showing yet again that graphic doesn’t equal good gameplay

even the race in most x4 are usually extremely similar and don’t have any special feel to them other then a few bonus,the best ive seen other then master of orion 2 of course was galactic civ 2 and even then it was still just a bunch of bonus that didn’t really make them feel “unique”

in Master of orion 2 you end up with telepathic race that don’t even need to send ground troop to take over planet,silicon based life form that eat 100% mineral(production) and race that either have no imagination and give you random research pushing you to really think out your strategy or race that are genius that research everything available in the research tree and the list goes on and on

• belgand says:

It’s not perfect, but I’d suggest 4X fans considering looking at some the various 4X boardgames out there. Twilight Imperium is one of the most well-known, but a slew of recent releases have come out in the past year as well with Eclipse and Space Empires: 4X both making an impact.

It’s always fun to be able to have complex diplomacy with a human player that isn’t at the mercy of what the game is capable of letting you offer each other. Things like having another empire become a protectorate in exchange for access to their research. Or getting into lengthy political maneuvering in order to see a particular bill pass or fail in the Galactic Senate.

• Sardonic says:

Personally, I always rated Imperium Galactica 2 over MOO2. Mainly because of the story, combat, and colony building. MOO2 is still great though of course.

• socrate says:

i admit i never actually tried Imperium Galactica 2 il have to give it a go

MoO2 had just awesome and diverse combat system(although i wish the AI would actually use the extreme variety of tactic you can yourself employ) its turn based system is just extremely fun and is as of now still the only game that make boarding a fun tactic to use and give you really fun way to counter it efficiently

• Metonymy says:

I have to agree pretty strongly. I don’t know how this genre even continues to exist.

Moo1 is still about a 8/10
        Moo2 is still about a 9/10

Every other 4x space empire simulator is a 4/10 at best. They just…never get anything right. And nothing is worse than their shoehorned real time battles. Do they imagine that they can make a real time space battle that is half as good as a dedicated RTS game? Pressing turn buttons is the entire strength of this type of game. It’s as if they willfully ignore the world around them, determined to somehow improve upon things that are working exactly correctly.

I could say many of the same things about other genres as well. FPS, RPG, TBS. Gentlemen, please. You’re terrible. Just improve upon existing games, made by men who are ten times as talented as you are. Quit trying to make something new. You haven’t succeeded in over a decade now.

• Victuz says:

Ok while I love the Master of Orion games (except for the 3’rd one for widely known reasons) I have to disagree with your point.
          There are at least a few more great 4x games in space. And some of them fairly recent:
          – Galactic Civilizations 1 and 2 are both great.
          – Sword of the Stars (the first one) is a fantastic game with an interesting twist on the genre (with grand menaces).
          – Distant Worlds provides a truly GRAND game to play in with hundreds of star systems and mechanics that focus on ruling an empire rather than micromanaging it. (seriously look it up)
          – Star ruler is interesting allowing you to build ships the size of stars. Building star sized stations with mass drivers to shoot at planets and bigger ships from light years away is actually a valid tactic.
          – Sins of Solar empire that changed the way the game is played in quite a few ways.
          – All of the Space Empire games provide that oldschool MoO feel if you want it that much.

And those are just the big releases. I’m pretty certain there are at least a few indie games that didn’t get much exposure (quick look at desura shows at least 2) but can be qualified as “pretty awesome”.
          I understand that the last 2 loudest releases are pretty damn meh or even bad (I’ve played a bit of LoP and it IS bad) and that can lead to some serious negative thoughts on the whole genre. But don’t ditch it. There is a lot of good out there and if we’re at least a tiny bit lucky, than someone will realize how to make these games right.

• Metonymy says:

I already explained how to ‘make it right,’ no need to not say the same thing twice.

Your standards are painfully lower than mine. You’ve probably played less games, and thus have a lower crap tolerance.

No surprise. I encounter this regularly.

I state opinion, you state opinion, we both win!

• Victuz says:

“You’ve probably played less games, and thus have a lower crap tolerance” oh really? I thought it’s more about quality of what I play than just churning out numbers. I’m sorry my glorious overlord of eternal knowledge if my oh so lowly standards don’t meet up with yours, clearly I’m an inferior being that just resents being an overtly negative ass. Have you reached the pure energy state of being yet oh superior one?

Nah honestly man, if you just want to call games crap for the sake of feeling better all the power to ya. I’m just going to sit in my corner and play games that I like while chuckling and the unnecessary hatred that people like you have to the subject.

• Joshua Northey says:

Meto-

You just sound like someone looking for something overly specific. I played a ton of MOO1 and MO2, I love those games and still play them.

But I also played almost all the Victuz listed to some extent.

SotS1 was excellent after the first expansion, and added a lot to the genre. GalCiv1&2 were both worth many many playthroughs if not quite up to MOO’s standards.

Endless Space is great if a tiny bit shallow, but it is also inexpensive.

Star Ruler is not quite robust enough to merit many playthroughs, but the ship design system is awesome.

And distant worlds is frankly amazing.

Sins I see as a different genra, so I don’t think that quite is comparable.

I admit none of those games is MOO2, but if your standard for a 4X game is: Is this an exact replica of MOO2 you are going to be waiting a really long time.

2. MadMatty says:

Yeah 4X market is totally swamped right now… nearly fell asleep 30 secs into the trailer….. this again zzzzzzzz.

Also i´ve managed to develop hate for the lurid looking coloured gaseous enviroments, which now seem to be everywhere.

• Mavvvy says:

Careful its that mentality that killed the space combat sim!!! In my opinion keep ‘em coming, flood the marke,t and maybe at some point we will get a masterpiece.

• belgand says:

While it would be nice to get a masterpiece it would also be nice just to get a game that isn’t Elite, MoO, or Star Control/Escape Velocity rehashed with only minor changes. Homeworld is the last space game I can recall that truly did something astoundingly innovative.

Not an astounding change, but I could actually see a mash-up of Wing Commander and Persona being interesting. Playing a student at the academy and pushing the classic Wing Commander focus on story and interaction up to the point that it starts to become an RPG.

• jonfitt says:

Actually, while I praise Homeworld when given the chance, I’d say don’t forget AI War: Fleet Command as a more recent game which did something interesting with the space RTS genre.

• belgand says:

I didn’t play it because it really didn’t look like my sort of thing, but from what I saw it looked like the space theme was just sort of pasted on. I guess in a way you could say that about a lot of games, I mean, Pirates is just Elite in the Carribean, but it still feels like the odd man out.

I will give you that it certainly appeared to be different though.

• Arkh says:

Star Control Rehashed

Please do tell me of one. Please tell me of a Star Control 2 proper sequel o rehash who is deserving of Star Control 2.

• Bahoxu says:

Echo this.

Not to be rude, but because i really really really want to play one.

• MadMatty says:

Well, if you´ve got an outstanding original product, just release it anytime.
        If you got another pretty rehash with nothing new going on whatsoever, you gotta watch the markets.

3. kafiend says:

I was thinking hope this is a little cheaper than Endless Space which has a lot more awesome than what this seems to have. I lol’d when I saw the price. Still. would have picked it up at around £15. Devs wake up! – if its not AAA, price it accordingly. Otherwise people just think you are tools and wait for the inevitable Steam sale..

• Ultra-Humanite says:

I can guarantee I think you are a tool after that useless comment. You are really quite clueless as to how economics work.

• Jdopus says:

In what way is he ignorant? These guys have clearly overpriced their product, they’re a completely unknown studio releasing a new IP that looks fairly low budget and they’re charging AAA prices.

Hell, just look at their competitors, I could buy the new Sins of a Solar Empire game, which I already know is a good game from a developer with experience in this field for £10 cheaper than this.

4. Hunchback says:

IMHO, game devs are seriously benefiting from the internet and digital distribution – Most companies still sell their big games for the same price offline and online. Except that online there’s no packaging, no shipping and logistics, no warehousing, no dvd printing, and when it’s sold by the companies themselves (and not a reseller such as Steam or whatever) the price doesn’t even include a reseller’s % of the sale.

I am all for digital distribution, but to be honest if the companies were a bit more humble in their pricing, i’d surely buy more and pirate less. I’ve already bought many an indie games just because they are awesome and i’d like to help their devs create more.

So yeah, selling this game at 30+ euros is kinda lol, come on…

• Ultra-Humanite says:

It’s almost as if they want to make money under a capitalist system. Shocking.

• belgand says:

But Steam sales have shown that when you price low you sell at a much greater volume and tend to make more than you would selling fewer copies at a higher price. Trying to convince someone to try your new game from a smaller publisher means you want to lower the barrier to entry.

• Victuz says:

There is this thing in economics where if something doesn’t sell you lower the price. There is no point in lowering the price BEFORE you even start selling.

• Baines says:

Steam sales show that people will buy something if they think they are saving a lot of money.

A game marked at $50 and then “reduced” to $25 during a Steam sale may make more money than a game that is permanently “full price” at $25.

On a related note, look at Magicka. Magicka seems to be constantly on sale somewhere. So why not just reduce its full price? Because people who haven’t bought it yet are probably more likely to buy it if they see “40% off” or “75% off” or “Deal of the Day: Magicka” or whatever. Same goes ARMA II:CO’s price being raised, and then being put on “sale”.

ChainsawHands says:

It’s “only” £22.85 on shopto.net, but much as I love space 4Xs I think I might be waiting for a Steam sale on this one. Especially since I’ve heard SotS2 is finally about done…

• Didden says:

You mean they might have finished the game now? How patches was that?

• BwenGun says:

Eh… I’d hesitate to say SOTS: II is done yet. It’s certainly closer to functional than it was at release but it remains an overambitious game that doesn’t explain itself very well, has terribad AI and suffers from UI lag that gets progressively worse as games run and eventually makes it all but impossible for anyone without the patience of a God to complete a game.

The biggest improvement from release to now is that despite it’s problems it’s actually fun for the first hundred or so turns now before the lag drags it down and makes playing a chore.

• Victuz says:

I’d say give it another year or two. The first Sword of the Stars took quite a bit of patching as well before they got it to the (brilliant) state it’s at today. I bought the game during this summer sale and I can say it’s nowhere near ready yet.

Hopefully when I start it in a year the gates of heaven will open and Saint Peter will say “oh my… they did it!”

6. Flappybat says:

You are right that the profit made by the publisher on a sale has probably doubled with retail no longer taking 50% of the sale price, much lower overheads and no returned/unsold stock to buy back.

• frightlever says:

First rule of business: know your market. Just saying.

• Ultra-Humanite says:

*sigh* And I imagine you came up with that after consulting the statistics you have regarding Steam’s sales figures. Oh wait what’s that? You mean you pulled that out of the nether regions of your asshole? Look why don’t you worry about whatever dipshit line of work you are involved in and let Kalypso and Novacore worry about what price they release games at? It’s obvious it’s too expensive for you to buy, that doesn’t mean they have no clue how to sell videogames.

FriendlyFire says:

Do you have shares in Kalypso or something? You’re jumping at the throat of everyone who dares to criticize the game. Seriously, cool off.

• Jimbo says:

“However steam sales point towards publishers £30~ standard price point being too high.”

That seems like a very questionable claim to make.

7. abandonhope says:

This actually looks fairly interesting, like a mash-up of Alpha Centauri and Homeworld in some ways. Endless Space seemed promising, but after seeing gameplay I don’t think I’m a fan of the combat. Still, until I actually get around to playing Galactic Civ II and more Sins I’m not really in the market for a game like this. But come next Steam sale, definitely.

• frightlever says:

Gal Civ II has similar combat to Endless Space, but does have a cool ship designer you can play with for hours.

• Ateius says:

The ship designer is the main reason I keep going back to GC2, and micromanaging a zillion constructor ships across my sprawling empire is the reason I keep leaving.

Although, speaking of GC2, the colonization system Adam described sounds almost exactly like how GC2’s worked.

8. Aaax says:

Is this game going to be unique in some way from the endless others that litter 4X space?

From what I’ve seen about this game the innovation seem very mild…

• belgand says:

Endless Space was a huge letdown for the same reason. It seems like they focused on combat pretty heavily and everything else is just reheated gameplay from Civ and MoO with little to no change. When you actually get into combat it suddenly goes real-time making you quickly read a ton of cards with a lot of fiddly rules bonuses or the game just goes on ahead without you. It may also just be me, but it often wasn’t very obvious what some of the bonuses were doing and how they worked. The manual was little help either being little more than an offline repeat of the tutorial and pretty much just explaining the interface.

It feels like it only adds one new thing and that new thing is sort of janky and awkward.

• Aaax says:

Exactly, I find 4x no fun anymore, because it was done (and played) many times already. I wish developers went more into space strategy/roguelike/adventure/rpg boundary or other innovative genres. Examples are FTL and Drox Operative. I personaly skip most games these days, because I’ve usualy played something similar until I got bored of it.

My dream game is something like roguelike Far Cry 2. When you die you are completely dead, shootouts are extremely dangerous as in real life since guards are the same strenght and ability and wounds stick with you for the rest of the game. So think twice before attacking outpost head-on! The environment would be somewhat proceduraly generated, there would be tricks how to deal with various situations as in usual roguelike and player would have single game goal such as reaching some place. The game-daytime would always be late evening as to utilize stealth and each session would take 1 hour tops (=until you win). Should I start kickstarter for this?

Kong says:

With you until you wish for always late evening.

I play civ5 and consorts in order get pass one day, to lose a few hours and not to worry about any I getting the better of me.
          Master of Orion and Homeworld. So beautiful. A shame they did not marry and produced offspring.

Late evening is paradise and I, being just a man, cannot live in paradise.

• fooga44 says:

The reality is developers do 4X games because they are orders of magnitude much easier they don’t have to deal with the complexity of genuinely interacting models and animations. This is why endless space has automated space battles, where-as something like Freespace 2 is all realtime awesome dogfighting you can play again and again.

9. Freud says:

I watched the trailer, then I went to the Starfarer site to get an idea how that game is coming along.

• Reapy says:

Pretty well I think. I believe the focus is turning towards the campaign now, as he just released his a heavily focused combat patch with all the new ship systems. I downloaded and installed but haven’t had a moment to fire it up…hrm, it appears I do have plans for tonight.

10. pakoito says:

Quick reminder: Endless Space still updating with new gameplay content. And last patch added modding support

• belgand says:

“New content” seems to be a bit disingenuous. They added an auto-explore option, modding support (which was previously just a non-working menu item and thus, doesn’t count as adding so much as being late), and tweaked the balance and interface some.

• pakoito says:

For this patch, yes. If you follow the games2gether gameplan a bunch of new features are in the making, and will be released when finished.

• belgand says:

From what I saw I didn’t notice much in the way of major content releases on G2G either. Perhaps I overlooked it, but it all just looked like minor tweaks.

11. MythArcana says:

A new rash of hastily made, Gleam-rushed “strategy” games that offer the complexity of Candyland in space. I wish these devs would take their time and create something solid instead of rushing the thing out with half the feature set missing. And holy cow, this badboy is much more expensive than GalCiv 2 complete.

Erithtotl says:

I’m afraid this game is going to be a pass for me through no real fault of its own. I have already been burnt twice this year of 4X space games. First was Sword of the Stars 2 which shipped in a pre-alpha state, then it was Endless Space which was polished but boring.

Until something comes along and proves to everyone its THE 4X space game to buy, I’m keeping my money in my pockets.

13. Ultra-Humanite says:

Here’s a pro tip for you brainless twats: Just because you don’t think it’s an appropriate price doesn’t mean they are clueless idiots and should have released at a lower price. Shocking as it may be, they will sell copy at their desired price, just like eventually they will sell copies at your desired price. There are seriously few things that bother me more than clearly ignorant tools who think they know everything. Respect your ignorance.

• the.celt says:

I’m one of a large group of brainless twats.

Also, I’m a clearly ignorant tool who thinks he knows everything. I’m learning, though, to respect my ignorance.

Thank you for being gentle with me, Ultra-Humanite. Please feed us again soon.

• Grygus says:

Another heads-up: ad hominem and needless aggression do not make you appear secure in your stance; quite the opposite, actually.

If your goal is to make sure people associate your frightened lashing out with the game, so that it gets even fewer sales, then you are a good astroturfer for the competition. Otherwise, your presence here is not helping your cause at all.

• Jimbo says:

“Heads-up: if the target consumers for a product believe that the price is too high, then it is. This is a gaming blog; these are the target consumers you are arguing with.”

Heads up: The world doesn’t work like that at all. People always say the price of everything is too high; doesn’t mean they won’t buy it anyway. If game pricing was really determined by what people said on gaming blogs then games would cost £0 and none would ever get made.

• belgand says:

The Humble Indie Bundles seem to disprove that. I’m continually amazed at how much people end up spending there. Far more than I would consider. Not just the outliers either, but the averages. Even adjusting for the weighting of the one cent and high end you’re usually looking at a pretty good price that was paid voluntarily.

You see the same sort of thing with other choose-your-price schemes even when it doesn’t donate to charity, like when Radiohead did it for In Rainbows.

• Jimbo says:

The games in those bundles aren’t typically brand new though are they? They get whatever money is available from conventional sales and then, when sales are dead on their ass, they see how much they can get out of selling charity and taking a cut.

Steam sales kick in at the same point in the sales curve. Yes more units will be sold selling a game dirt cheap, but you do that *after* selling it to people who are prepared to pay for it, not before.

Gimmick pricing models only work (as Plan A) as long as they are gimmicks.

• BulletMagnet says:

You may have a point, however you make it in such a profoundly stupid and needlessly aggressiveness way that you just end up looking like the bigger idiot here.

• MadMatty says:

Well, it looks like they spent a lot of money on graphics- those cost the most money to make, and people will buy games for it.
      Also: the neat terraforming effect might have taken a while etc.
      The ship building part seems fairly comprehensive.
      Endless Space does Out-pretty it, but whatever.
      Its clearly an triple-A production, in a genre of clones thats deemed “safe” enough, for them to have a chance at getting their money back.
      So price is probably fair enough, for WHAT IT IS.

For me, it lacks any interesting features or design breakthroughs to completement the snazzy graphics. Then again, i´ve played most 4x games since Master of Orion- maybe the young ones will appreciate this? Still, gotta be said MoO has far more interesting and varied gameplay, by the looks of it.

14. datom says:

The pricing comments here are confusing me (although not making me angry, as it seems to some others!). How can you judge its worth on principle?

I completely understand saying “I’ve played this game and it’s not worth £x” but I don’t fully understand “I would not pay £30 for this game regardless of quality”.

Or maybe I do understand – I waited years to buy Dominions 3 because the price was too high. I could afford it, but it seemed I could buy 2 or 3 other games for the same value. Recently, I bought it, and it turns out it’s completely amazing and the best fantasy 4x ever by a country mile. Is it worth $50? Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I’ve played it more than pretty much every other game I bought last year combined in one month.

I’m not saying Legends of Pegasus (not a good title) is as good as Dom3 – I’m sure it isn’t. But it was a stupid decision for me not to buy it on principle, because in actual fact, it was worth $50.

• Ateius says:

Nobody here but you has said anything about not buying it at its current price out of “principle”. The pricing comments are driven by personal interest, and are not statements of demand.

For example: I personally am not willing to pay the current price for this game. I already own several space 4X games and this one does not appear to offer anything new. This is not a statement of principle; the game simply does not interest me enough for me to pay the amount they want, and I’m certainly not paying that much just to double-check and be extra-sure whether or not it’s interesting.

Again, nothing in there about “principle”. The developers have simply failed to sufficiently motivate me to purchase their product.

• datom says:

But that’s not what I’m responding to. I’m responding to comments like the following:

“IMHO, game devs are seriously benefiting from the internet and digital distribution – Most companies still sell their big games for the same price offline and online. Except that online there’s no packaging, no shipping and logistics, no warehousing, no dvd printing, and when it’s sold by the companies themselves (and not a reseller such as Steam or whatever) the price doesn’t even include a reseller’s % of the sale….

So yeah, selling this game at 30+ euros is kinda lol, come on…”

or

“Well the first rule of business is to sell at an optimum price point, which involves a bit of guess work. However steam sales point towards publishers £30~ standard price point being too high.”

or

“Devs wake up! – if its not AAA, price it accordingly. Otherwise people just think you are tools and wait for the inevitable Steam sale..”

It’s not really fair to say I’m strawmanning when you make a different argument to the one I’m arguing against. I’m arguing against posts that discuss the pricing policy, not the product. You are clearly discussing the product, saying the game doesn’t interest you. That’s a perfectly fine argument.

• Xardas Kane says:

That’s the thing, it’s not an AAA title. It’s a mediocre indie 4X game by a new studio that has yet to establish a fan-base. It costs more than Endless Space or SoaSE: Rebellion, even though it’s a new player on the market. One of the comments you quoted really sums it up:

One look at the competition tells me this is not the optimum price point.

• Sayori says:

Well… The price is same as The Witcher 2.
            Do you think they have invested the same amount of money and time as CdProject for The Witcher?!
            Absolutely not.

• Joshua Northey says:

Sayori-

The game also has a much smaller market than the Witcher 2.

Almost no one in this thread talking about pricing has the faintest idea how it works. It is comical. A bunch of self important teenagers with no experience in the business world spouting off about how a product should be priced.

• theleif says:

The reason there are lots of comments like that is because two other 4x games (SoaSE:Rebellion and Endless Space) have recently been released, both at a lower price point, and both of them well received. The logical thing to do would be to release this game at about the same price a the other games. As it is now, it’s 15€ more expensive than SoaSE:Rebellion and more than twice the price of Endless Space.

• Baines says:

People make those kinds of decisions every day. Except maybe compulsive, or more accurately impulsive, spenders.

There are thousands of games that I am currently not buying on Steam. I haven’t played them, but they aren’t worth $X to me.

Heck, there are free games that I am not playing, and have no intentions to play, because they aren’t worth the time for me to play them.

In some cases, I am missing out. But odds are that in the majority I am not. And it isn’t feasible for me to play every free game, much less buy every game that *might* be worth its asking price.

(Note that I do have some tendency towards impulsive spending, so I *do* consciously think about prices, worth, and impulse buys as a safety measure. The result is that I’m probably much more constrained that the average gamer during a Steam sale. But I have to be, because I literally cannot afford to live the alternative.)

15. datom says:

Actually, I hope this isn’t a double-post, but…

Distant Worlds with expansions, for example, costs far more the LoP. My only question is: which is better, and is LoP (or Endless Space) close enough to be a better purchase?

Info:
    Like: Doms3, SEIV, GSB
    Dislike: GalCiv2 (feels a bit – well, a lot – bland), SoaSe

• timmyvos says:

Distant Worlds is kinda similar to Hearts of Iron III in that the expansions are absolutely needed, that it’s kinda buggy and that the gameplay mostly consists of either micromanaging the shit out of everything in your giant empire or watching the AI do everything for you. It’s also real-time while Legends of Pegasus is a turn-based game with real-time combat.

• Redrigo says:

Distant Worlds is great fun and I think one of the unsung gems of 4X games, it does have a fair bit of micromanagment, but I quite enjoy that, and its not a crazy level of micromanagment. You do need all the expansions, and the game itself is pauseable real time..so issue orders hit play (space bar) …pause to re-issue orders. Has excellent options in the set up ..if you find the pirates ..micromanaging you to hell ..take them out or reduce them etc

I havent found it buggy at all, since the last patch (jan this year-ish), although it can get a bit laggy late game, on huge galaxy and 24 factions..but that has more to do with straining the sinews of my puny PC.
      Bought Endless Space ..played it briefly ..didnt really grab me after an hour (I will look at it again at some point ) and thought ..time to fire up distant worlds.

One of the few 4x that I replay relativley regularly. Its definatley a hard drive keeper for me

16. Dreforian says:

Like many I too think the price point is too high. The difference is, I’m dumb enough to ignore it just this once to get a 4x game with a campaign. I’m praying it can ease me in to the genre so that I can tolerate more titles without campaigns. Sins fooled me once (just plain forgot after reading a PCG preview), I’m trying not to be fooled again. At least, not by the same thing. Also someone mentioned Imperium Galactica 2. Digital Reality also made Haegemonia and the similarities between LoP and that title are what attracted me to the game. Maybe I’ll be better off finding IG2 since it seems to have a campaign as well…

17. Dariune says:

@Ultra-Humanite You seem to be very laboriously trying to make a point.

Problem is, you are being so rude and so inherently arrogant about your point that you are just coming across as

a) A disgruntled dev who cant handle criticism
    b) A fanboy
    c) A dick
    d) all of the above.

Reread all of your above messages, because regardless of peoples opinions on here (Just to remotely be on topic, i disagree with you. Too expensive IMO), your reactions are …. for want of a better word, daft!

Kong says:

The presentation video pauses at 1:52.

How many heirs of the ancients are looking for a warm welcome.

What about the civil war in the solar system? The media does not report about it. Asteroid Belt is Anarchy. Mars is unstable, sells to the leading firm. The Corporation’s fleets are weakened by their constant fighting each other. Sol Revolution.

4x with real time 3D battles. I have had enough of ancients. Wargame: Sol-Civ

19. Sayori says:

LOL @ the price tag. It is just insane. And I don’t hear any positive feedback from the game to at least justify and make it worth.
    Not to mention it’s by an indie dev, first game. Way to go, Kalypso, you greedy twats.
    Endless Space is much better though no ship design but it’s at least balanced. And 20 euro.

20. Joshua Northey says:

Almost no one in this thread talking about pricing has the faintest idea how pricing works. It is comical. A bunch of self important teenagers with no experience in the business world spouting off about how a product should be priced.

You have your cost to make the product AND the likely number sold AND what you think customers will pay. Its not just “Hey AAA game cost 30 dollars and they obviously spent 1/100th the money on this so it should be under $30. “WWII FPS simulator part MCCLXII” with a multimillion dollar marketing budget will likely sell many hundreds of thousands of copies, “Small 4X game” with no marketing budget might be only planning on selling a few tens of thousands.

Obviously lots of the posters here feel the price is too high, but I suspect that is because the game doesn’t look that great, not because it is mispriced. Quality computer games are an incredibly cheap form of entertainment and quibbling over whether they cost you 1 hour or 4 hours of work for dozens or hundreds of hours f entertainment is just silly.

The main thing you want to avoid when purchasing games is the huge number of them you will put 1-10 hours in and then decide “this is crap I am never playing it again”.

• Jimbo says:

“You have your cost to make the product AND the likely number sold AND what you think customers will pay.”

ish. Development cost becomes pretty much irrelevant to your pricing strategy once you’ve already paid it though – it’s too late to worry about it. The likely number sold is largely determined by your pricing and obviously some customers will pay more than others.

It’s an incredibly complex set of variables, which will be constantly changing over time, which for something like this boils down to ‘how do I think / guess / cross my fingers and hope I can make the most money?’. It’s effectively impossible to work out what the pricing strategy ‘should’ be in this case. It’s a one-off product, there are way too many unpredictable factors to consider and not enough relevant historical data to base a strategy on.

• Joshua Northey says:

Which is exactly why some random yahoo’s “This should be cheaper because random game X was cheap” is so silly.

Also don’t underestimate people’s ability/desire to cling to projections long after they are realistic. It might be clear you should sell the game at X, but if not collapsing and closing up shop means selling it at Y instead, you can bet it will be priced at Y even if that is a fantasy that will lead t an even worse outcome than X.