Good Day To Defy: Defiance Shoots For A Seamless World

By Nathan Grayson on August 10th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

Game over, man! Game over!

I must confess that, for the longest time, Defiance was just “that game with its own Syfy TV show” to me – probably because that seems to be exactly what Trion and Syfy wanted me to think. Well, they probably also wanted me to think “Syfy, a magical one-stop destination for all my science fiction and Sharktopus needs that I don’t totally begrudge for unceremoniously pulling the plug on Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome,” but I digress. Now the media power couple that is, itself, basically a plot out of a sci-fi novel has finally seen fit to give Defiance’s inner workings a proper spotlight. And, if I’m being honest, it’s not looking half-bad.

I’m definitely digging the idea of a big seamless world where – if I so choose – I can just go ramp ATVs off cliffs for a while. (I hope that’s the plot of at least four episodes of the show.) Meanwhile, the Rift influence is obvious, given that the place is overrun with giant beasties of all grotesquely unnatural shapes and sizes.

And it sounds like PVP is getting some serious attention too, although separate, instanced levels make that aspect of the game sound a lot more like a traditional third-person shooter than an MMOFPS. Perhaps, though, Trion’s Defiance team will take some cues from Rift’s brand new open world PVP before it’s all said and done.

MMO shooters like All Points Bulletin and even Firefall have served up some pretty malnourished PVE content, so here’s hoping Defiance can strike a better balance between shooty-shooty and shooty-questy. Or, failing that, fingers crossed that it’ll at least let us hunt a Sharktopus.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Maybe instead of vehicles named ‘Warthog’ this will let you drive a Pirhannaconda.

2. Catweasel says:

I prefer the old Avalon Hill FPS.

3. Malk_Content says:

Wonder if progression is going to be in the instanced PvP. If yes then I have no interest, if not then this just became interesting.

4. Kinsha says:

Finally, another MMO to play. I was running out of MMO’s. We need more MMO. World needs MMO’s like MMO’s need virgins.

5. sinister agent says:

An MMO with combat where your hindrances are actual enemies, not the game itself. Why has this taken so long?

6. Dominic White says:

If they manage to regularly provide battles like the one in the screenshot above, I’ll officially be interested. MMO co-op Starship Troopers? Yes please.

• RF says:

Rift had battles MUCH larger than that on a regular basis. Monsters would spawn out of rifts and charge toward towns which you had to defend and stuff. It was absolutely amazing.

You had a lot of famous last stands and stuff, where you’d defend the last ward crystal in the zone whilst 500+ monsters rush in and try to roflstomp it to the ground. I remember a talent build (very tanky warrior) I made exactly for situations like that, where I’d use a series of skills and a thirty minute (or something ridiculous) cooldown ability to reduce damage to as low as possible and to cause any damage I took to instead heal me. Basically turned me into a titan for about 30 seconds, enough time to turn the tide of battle, clear up most of the wave and instead push and shut down the rifts.

• Chris D says:

On the one hand I imagine the developers are very happy that their year-old MMO is receiving this kind of praise but, on the other, probably less happy that it’s already being referred to in past tense.

• RF says:

I’ve not played it since last year, so yeah. And the reason the spawns were so big was because there were so many people in the zones, and I seriously doubt that’s the same fact as now.

• DK says:

I doubt any game will be able to do the Starship Troopers style base defense as seamlessy and as well as Tabula Rasa did. Players calling in airstrikes, people with shoulder-launched missiles and beam cannons taking out tripods, turrets being set up. Tabula Rasa…real shame it’s gone.

7. abandonhope says:

I remember Syfy. It’s that channel that sci-fi aficionados used to watch.

If the series turns out to be halfway decent, they’ll surely cancel it for costing too much/not being broad enough (broad like WWE Smackdown), after which the game will be a mighty big turd dangling over the bowl.

8. JackShandy says:

Talk about too big to fail… I don’t want to think about what’s going to happen if this thing doesn’t sell a million bajillion copies.

• sinister agent says:

I’m not optimistic. Does anyone even watch the Sci Fi channel anymore? Most people I know still call it that… plus this is the first I’ve heard of the game, despite it sounding quite interesting. An MMO that isn’t etc, etc.

9. Syra says:

Whoa… a shooter where you either make a headshot or you don’t based on what you are aiming at. Colour me amazed.

• Spengbab says:

Yea, but you see, this is in a MMO, where the world continues, EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT PLAYING, because thats what a MMO is. Even if you are not logged on, THE WORLD CONTINUES. STUFF IS CONTINUEING all the time. Even when you are not logged in! ITS A MMO!

Cripes this was a dumb video. I should hope you don’t have to explain the MMO genre in this day and age, but to emphasise it like they did in the vid is just nnnnnnnggggggGGGG

10. westyfield says:

“unceremoniously pulling the plug on Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome”

Unforgivable.

• abandonhope says:

But hey, there’s still Warehouse 13, Haven and Alphas. Don’t you want to watch these? You know, with your girlfriend, while you’re both on laptops, not really paying attention? Don’t you love the interplay between snarky, fake nerds and “regular” people? Can’t you relate to all the references to gadgetry? And what’s wrong with a little lighthearted, generic supernatural entertainment? Why won’t you watch Syfy’s shows, WHY?

11. hjd_uk says:

How do they not realise that without a hyphon it reads “Siffie” ?

12. mckertis says:

“Syfy TV show”

Never heard of it.

13. socrate says:

look good but there is to much against it for me

1.this kind of quality=monthly fee which at this point i have to much F2P game to play and have a good time with to really bother to deal with that again and GW2 so far after 30 lvl i still didn’t get tired of it and if it stay like that till lvl 80 i could still see myself maxxing all the class to that lvl(hell i did it in WoW with boring and atrocious questing system even before battleground gave xp)

monthly fee also never really gave us much imo usually we would end up getting boring content and expansion would tend to be extremely boring with recycled content in WoW often appearing all the time and “revamped talent system” that they tend to do every damn expansion to “fix” them but they always come back to having some ability wayyyy better then other i don’t even get why they put this as a big thing for each expansion cause even if you don’t own it you will benefit from it

the only content that were worth adding imo was ulduar…it was fresh…well made…interesting encounter and hard mode

2.cross platform:its been shown that it is impossible to get the console crowd with the PC because the PC doesn’t impose the restriction the console have….patching on console take forever and go through unnecessary process and issue…imagine adding content each month…or patching each month…or doing the server maintenance each week…

and look how all cross platform title turned out….either pushed back year after year or ending up just giving up on that stupid cross platforming idea(it is an awesome idea….but there is wayyyy to much problem with it to be viable)

3.lag:from my experience better graphic in MMO tends to mean easier to lag the place up even with an high end computer and put with that that i played skyrim the other day at my friend house on is Xbox360(wanted to try dawnguard…totally not worth 15$….i think he actually paid 20$…crazy consoler)and it was having framerate issue quite often when to much happened or when stuff was…emmm loading i guess…looked extremely crappy compared to mine and all around ran like crap,so you can see how i feel about cross platforming

4.the story:i mean i never even heard of the series before just now….i have no clue at all what the hell is going on and they could have gotten the same damn result creating a story of their own instead of an obscure series and to say it quite frankly i have no interest in this silly story,also spacey sci-fi show need to be in space or on strange planet….i have no interest in earth getting invaded or stupid stuff like that because they make no sense at all and i just can’t get into the story with that in mind

5.instance:i have a problem with instance,in MMO they tend to remove the entire purpose of MMO and if its just to make a load of instances and just have a big open lobby where there is no impact on your action i don’t really see why i shouldn’t just go play Planetside 2 or Tribe really

sorry for the wall post btw but getting tired of MMO that could do much better and just end up doing the same error as all the past one

Comment on this story