Paradox ‘Truman’ Announcement At 3PM UK Time

By Adam Smith on August 10th, 2012 at 2:50 pm.

Dewey is an MMOFPS conversion of Crusader Kings 2

If you’re not quite as obsessed with grand strategy games as me, it’s entirely conceivable that you don’t know that Paradox have been teasing an announcement from their internal development studio. They’ve done this in typical humurous style, dropping obscure hints that are far from obscure and building up to a video announcement that should be streamed on their twitch.tv channel very shortly, which is to say 3pm UK time (4pm CET, 10am EST). You may have missed it already, but it should be archived there for a short while and if not I’ll find a copy and link/embed it somewhere hereabouts. We’ll have more details on the announcement later this evening, so do check back. In the meantime, why not join in the discussion and speculation over at the Paradox forums.

For those playing catchup, here are the hints.

‘Project Truman’ is a historical grand strategy game developed by Paradox Development Studio.

Is this the game you have been waiting for?

You will explore a revolutionary trade system.

Who leads your country is immensely important.

Don´t worry about being a bad boy.

You need to grow your empire home and abroad.

Religion matters… Spread your faith!

Some of those seem like suggestions about changes to a formula as much as hints about the game itself. What do you reckon? What do you want?

, , .

1. Soulstrider says:

I am hoping Rome II or a new ip, but everything points out for EUIV

• Bobsy says:

If it is EUIV, my interest will make or break on the ability to import 1453 saves from Crusader Kings II.

• Soulstrider says:

Now of course people will speculate they cancelled Magna Mundi to clear the way/steal ideas for EU IV

• pakoito says:

Already asked the devs. The feature was planned, but right now it’s buggy and depends on the producer on whether it’ll make the release cut or not.

• wodin says:

we already have AGEOD doing a new rome game I’m looking forward to

• Soulstrider says:

Well yes, but AGEOD’s game is more of a historical wargame focused on a specific campaign, whereas I really do like peacefully expand my economy, diplomacy and non-war aspects in a grand campaign.

2. Lynchbread says:

Didn’t paradox make Hearts of Iron, if so count me in.

Maltose says:

Paradox Development Studios made Hearts of Iron, Victoria, Crusader Kings, all the Europa Universalis games, and all the applicable sequels.

3. Njordsk says:

CIV V?

I won?

4. Unaco says:

I want to be alone with my Viscount, but that’s neither here nor there Adam.

As for the game… I’m going for New World Discovery and Colonisation simulator.

5. obie191970 says:

Truman? How to drop the bomb?

6. xenothaulus says:

I want to believe it is a pagan/Viking expansion for Crusader Kings 2, but everything is pointing at EU4.

• felis says:

Afaik their DLC/expansion team is different from their full-title team(s).

• Njordsk says:

vikings in 1066? You won’t have much time to play then.

• xenothaulus says:

Nonsense. Red Thor will beat back the milkdrinking followers of the White Christ, and leave their wound-dew upon the grass!

7. Baboonanza says:

It’s pretty dull so far

8. Beef says:

The patch that makes HoI3 playable and fun? Oh please please please

• Meusli says:

I love HOI3, but I did buy the expansions so maybe it’s that.

9. Kingmarzo says:

Watching that stream, it feels like Paradox has died lol

10. lordcooper says:

I want some chips. Also, Pagan DLC.

11. Kingmarzo says:

“we can’t really say much about Truman”

Thanks for that…

12. timmyvos says:

Definitely EU 4

13. Dowson says:

EU4 then.

Nice.

SMiD says:

Huzzah! EU4!!!

15. killias2 says:

YAY EU4

• killias2 says:

I hear the internal development team is really excited about what they’re doing with EU4, and the hints above imply better trade and some sort of replacement for the bad boy system. I hope this ends up being as good as it could be. The EU series is definitely one of my favorite video game series, and I’m -so- eager to see what they’ve done here. I hope they use EU3 as a jumping off point, but that it’s different enough to warrant the number.

16. Didden says:

Urgghhh Paradox really need to hire me to do their PR.

17. MythArcana says:

I hope they use a legible font this time that isn’t the size of a flea’s nipple.

18. Freud says:

Perhaps DLC for Magicka.

19. Vinraith says:

Hmm. I love Pdox-developed strategy games but no thanks. I’ve barely scratched the surface of EU3, I simply have no reason to buy a full-on sequel any time in the next few years. A new Rome, or an era they haven’t tried yet, would have been a preorder.

I’m sure I’ll get it eventually, mind, but by then they’ll probably be announcing EUV.

• pakoito says:

It’ll be 6 years between one and the other. I think it’s enough.

• Torgen says:

Still not enough time to work through my game backlog. It seems every week or two, I run across a game I’ve bought that I forgot about. The thing is, they’re all games I *want* to play, just no time.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

@ Torgen

I know that feeling well. Around one hundred games in my steam library (not to mention all the games I’ve picked up off GOG or through various bundles) and I’ve only completed a fifth, at best. Haven’t yet got around to even touching half of them. :(

Also; inb4 first world problems.

• Vinraith says:

6 years would be EU3 vanilla, the last expansion was 2 years ago, and I’ve yet to find time to play it.

I’m not saying it’s too soon for them to release a sequel, I’m saying it’s too soon for me to buy one. I don’t have the time for games I once did and big, epic strategy games last me a long time. I’m in no hurry, and I’ve still got an EU game that suits my needs just fine, so I wish they’d done something else here.

• killias2 says:

I understand where you’re coming from, and, to some extent, I think Rome 2 could’ve been exciting. After they turned stinky CK1 into amazing CK2, I wonder if they can do the same for stinky Rome 1.

However, the main EU series has always been my favorite, and I’ve played EU3 to death. I’m -very- curious to see what they can do to change things up, and the early suggestions seem that big changes are coming.

Even if you aren’t excited to see EUIV, I’d also note that the EU series is PDS’s main series. This is the series where they throw big changes out there, and this is the series that they really pour their time and effort into. In a way, I think you can pretty much count Paradox generations by mainline EU entries. If you aren’t excited about EUIV, you might want to get excited for the impact it has on PDS’s other games.

• killias2 says:

Also, to clarify, I like both CK1 and Rome 1. However, they’re.. highly flawed. I actually think I might prefer Victoria 1 to Victoria 2, although that whole ‘thing’ is complicated, and I won’t go into it right now.

• Zwebbie says:

@Vinraith: “it’s too soon for me to buy one”. You’re saying that as if it’s an odd thing; in general I think skipping every other title in a sequence like this, or buying only one part of game trilogies is a good way to avoid disappointment over too few improvements.

20. Anders Wrist says:

I for one am looking forward to this.

21. thebigJ_A says:

It’s Europa Universalis IV!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONWTGEZKzn8 Yay!

22. TC-27 says:

great news – CK2 was playable min release state without any Expansion so let hope EUIV is similar.

23. dontnormally says:

Er, so what is it?
    Looks like it should have been announced two hours ago?

[edit]: Nevermind.

24. ts061282 says:

I -want- to like Paradox games, but I’ve always had more fun working on spreadsheets. They seem to range from pedantic and obtuse to unplayable.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Pendantic and obtuse kinda describe Paradox’s more dedicated fans.

• utharda says:

I – Don’t like your tweed, sir!
        Will – Teach you the professor’s ready!
        Not – Let’s see who strikes the loudest!
        Lose – Put on my fighting trousers!

-All due credit to the professor for the snappy response, for I am obtuse and pedantic. Though I fail to see how calling me an angle larger than 45 degrees explains away your inability to play a gentleman’s game. Queensbury rules then?