Silly Name, Interesting-Looking Game: Warframe

By Nathan Grayson on August 10th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Is anyone else expecting the guy on the far right to do the cartoon 'Yeah, I'm just standing here but oh no I just noticed that there's no ground beneath me and aaaaaaaaaarrrgh [splat]' thing?

A Warframe could be anything from the estranged twin cousin of Firefall’s “battleframes” to a homicidal portrait well-versed in the art of large-scale military combat, but you know what? The F2P videogame called Warframe doesn’t look half-bad. Digital Extremes has finally seen fit to show off some real (read: not paused in a state of dramatic tension) gameplay, and there’s definite potential here. I mean, yeah, it looks like Mass Effect 3 meets Metal Gear Solid’s Gray Fox, but wait, let me re-read that thing I just wrote. Oh my.

Admittedly, it’s a pretty brief snippet, but I spotted Vanguard-esque teleportation, fleet-footed space ninja sprinting, techno-magic projectiles, and a stasis power that reclassified the situation from “even fight” to “sci-fi version of Fruit Ninja.” These are things I can get behind.

As a quick refresher, Warframe’s not actually competitive. Rather, it sounds like Horde Mode with a bit of Left 4 Dead thrown in for good measure. On top of that, levels are procedurally generated – though obviously, that feature could turn out incredibly hit-or-miss. Tossed in a blender with showy sci-fi katanas and lots of neon lights, though, it sounds like it could make for a pretty refreshing recipe – at least, as far as F2P offerings go.

That said, Digital Extremes’ track record on original projects has – in the past – trended decidedly toward the middle of the road (see: Dark Sector, Pariah, Warpath, etc) so here’s hoping this one can finally make the leap from “OK” to “great.” Or the cybernetically enhanced rocket lunge, as it were.

You can sign up for the beta now, and you can expect it to kick off “soon” – which, in this case, might actually mean sooner rather than later, seeing as Warframe’s set to launch in “Winter 2012.”

, , .

1. Spacewalk says:

I cannot for the life of me tell what is going on in that screenshot.

• Ciber says:

He is making them fall over by magic.

• Dreforian says:

If you’re familiar with ME3 multiplayer, it’s the thing the human Vanguard does where he smashes the ground with a biotic falcon punch and the resulting shockwave knocks down/up/back enemies in a small radius around him. You can see it in the last 10~15 seconds of the video.

• noom says:

There having a dance contest, obv.

2. Tridae says:

Looks like one big mod for Mass Effect. If there’s no ability to crouch behind waist high walls then it may actually be worth trying out.

3. Nemon says:

WARFRAME!

4. Yuri says:

Guyver. That is all.

• Chandos says:

Indeed! I kept thinking it looked very familiar but couldn’t put my finger on it. Thanks for putting your finger on Guyver.

Big Murray says:

WAR in your FRAME!!

Wait, no …

6. thepaleking says:

Wow, I was worried this would become some Gears of War blended with CoD tripe. But that video showed some incredibly interesting gameplay. I’m reminded of the Splinter Cell multiplayer mode, mercs versus spies, but with the spies replaced with, as you said, cyber-ninjas.

7. Bobsy says:

Wait, that voice. I’ve heard that exact computer voice before. Where was it? Gaaah. This is going to irritate me now.

Homeworld perhaps?

8. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

F2P needs to die fast just go back to the traditional model instead where you pay for the game upfront & all DLC is included @ launch!

To most gamers F2P means your getting a lesser experience not sure why they want to keep pushing that model anyway.

Anthile says:

…and then you end up with empty servers after two weeks, regardless of quality. Well, unless you have a big marketing budget.

9. Lekker Pain says:

Original Dark Sector with F2P model. I would suggest following little changes:

- remove F2P
    - forget the Dark Sector you released ever existed
    - rename this to Dark Sector
    - bring the original plot/setting/universe back
    - release it.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Openyourfuckingeyeswedontwantanotherf2pgame

• JackShandy says:

Like anthile says, indie games become ghost towns within a few weeks unless they’re free to play. S’pretty obvious the collective “We” wants free2Play, regardless of your feelings.

Hardlylikely says:

Maybe an alternative would be to accept that if the player numbers aren’t there, then not every title needs to have multiplayer? That a lot of people, despite protestations, in fact are happy to play a game and move on?

Nothing against MP for those who like it, but sometimes as a fan of mostly SP games it feels like the industry is trying to contort itself into keeping as many MP games alive at all costs. I can only wonder why, when the only way to keep players around is to give the game away and charge for tat or higher powered items.

That just needed to come out, not entirely a reply to you, but I’ll leave it here.

• wiredhuman says:

So Im not the only one seeing Dark Sector. Glad they actually made something from the original Idea.

AmateurScience says:

I may be having Freudian moment, but was anyone else slightly concerned that the main character model had what appears to be a giant phallus attached to the front of its helmet?

Edit: just watched it again, now all I can see is penis.

• The Hammer says:

Oh my god, what makes it even better is that it gradually rotates around the character’s head, revealing more and more of that metal member.

That’s made my day.

• HisMastersVoice says:

If that’s what you see every morning when taking the loo, I suggest visiting a doctor. Fast.

• Ciber says:

He has a futuristic pepa pig head. Which also looks like genitalia.

11. Kinsha says:

I would like to shake the hand of the man who thought “oh yes, this screenshot will change the world.. UNLEASH IT”. I have no idea wtf is going on there.

• The Hammer says:

I think it’s just a still Nathan’s taken from the trailer. Not a great one!

Did like the footage, though. Interesting.

12. HisMastersVoice says:

I really like what I see here. ME multiplayer was ruined by crappy controls, bad cover and lousy map design, but the core concept was pretty decent. Those brief flashes look like they fix all that.

13. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Dark Sector on Steam should be removed from sale its a travesty (only supports 4:3 FOV due to them outsourcing to a russian developer who obviously spent the FOV budget on Vodka!!!). Just like Bioshock2 MP is a travesty…oh wait same developer!! NEXT

(But they also somehow got the contract from Namco for the megabudget Star Trek Co-Op based game coming to PC in early 2013. Guess that will be another Namco PC special with GFWL & console textures!).

14. Ciber says:

This just looks like a shooty future world of warcraft. It’s third person perspective which is no good for a shooter. It involves hitting things with sticks, even if they are future looking sticks. It involves what look like magic spells. It’s orks & dorks re imagined!

[dragons den]
    And for those reasons I’m out.
    [/dragons den]

• Dominic White says:

RPS is the only place on the internet I’ve seen this ‘Third-person is no good for action games’ meme. It’s baffling.

• Ciber says:

Action games yes. Ones with shooting? OK but not for me.

I suppose you need 3rd person view to look at the waist high walls you are crouching behind?

• Flakfizer says:

Third person has no place in a shooter. It’s like trying to have a nice firefight with someone constantly standing in the way.

• Shooop says:

That’s just how things are. Third person is terrible for shooting unless you’re Max Payne.

15. Shooop says:

The future is terrible lighting and phallic helmets!

16. NightShift says:

Man, this game looks awesome. Is there a rise in third person shooter co-op games? With Firefall, now this? And the chance of a Global Agenda 2?

17. JohnnyMaverik says:

So… you get to play an Alien? O.o

If so then cool.

18. Adventurous Putty says:

She seems terribly bored. “*Yawn* The warframes.”