What Is This Game About? Wargame: AirLand Battle

By Jim Rossignol on August 10th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Doomed Russian helicopters, yesterday.
Yes, Eugen Systems have announced a sequel to the unimaginatively titled Cold War RTS Wargame: European Escalation, and it’s called, amusingly, Wargame: AirLand Battle. This sequel is, once again, an imaginary World War III scenario in which NATO and Warsaw Pact forces duke it out across Europe. It is also going to come with added shiny, as they explain: “Wargame: AirLand Battle will be the series’s leap forward by bringing a level of detail never before seen in a real-time strategy game. The new version of the IRISZOOM Engine(tm) will display spectacular graphics with a wide variety of units, scenery, and impressive topography reproduced from satellite maps.”

There’s a teaser trailer showing off some of this stuff below. (It’s got helicopters being shot down by F-15s!)

The game is out next year.

, .

1. Shooop says:

This is a dumber name than Warface.

• Luke says:

This is a really, really dumb name.

• AlphaCentauri says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirLand_Battle Blame the US Army, not the developers.

• RaveTurned says:

No, do blame the developers. Devs who choose to use the US Army’s dry and nonsensical terms for their game titles clearly do not want them to stand out from the crowd.

• Misnomer says:

I don’t remember complaining about bland names when Full Spectrum Warrior and Joint Ops came out.

Defense names have always been pretty dumb and devs have been using them for a long time. What is new is this “warface” meme on RPS.

• Zeewolf says:

Well, at least the main series’ name is more interesting.

• Syra says:

It really is like devs are doing it just for us. Seen more games with WARTITLE this last year than in the last decade O_o..

2. Thurgret says:

Someone probably spent whole minutes devising that name.

Also, er, NATA? With an A?

• AlphaCentauri says:

“AirLand Battle was the overall conceptual framework that formed the basis of the US Army’s European warfighting doctrine from 1982 into the late 1990s. AirLand Battle emphasized close coordination between land forces acting as an aggressively maneuvering defense, and air forces attacking rear-echelon forces feeding those front line enemy forces.”

The name is there for a reason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirLand_Battle

• Phasma Felis says:

That’s great. It’s still a stupid name.

I will choose to believe that the game is about battling for the freedom of the little-known Eastern European nation of Airland.

• Mad Hamish says:

You keep saying that like it actually matters. It doesn’t work for games. It may be perfectly fine for a “conceptual framework that formed the basis of the US Army’s European warfighting doctrine from 1982 into the late 1990s”, but it sound silly as the name of a game.

3. kevmscotland says:

A sequel already?
    Cant we just have a expansion or something.

visually tho, its crazy to think this is a RTS

• timmyvos says:

It’s not a sequel, it’s a standalone expansion.

• kevmscotland says:

Official Announcement:
        “Today, we are proud to unveil in a first video teaser Wargame: AirLand Battle, the sequel to Wargame!”

First sentence of this very article….
        “Yes, Eugen Systems have announced a sequel to the unimaginatively titled Cold War RTS Wargame: European Escalation, and it’s called, amusingly, Wargame: AirLand Battle.”

Not sure where you get that its a expansion.

4. SonicTitan says:

GAMEFACE

OF WAR

OF HONOR 18:

I SHOOT YOUR WARGAME FACE

(Seriously, this is getting silly. Day’s not even half over yet.)

5. purdz says:

I’m looking forward to this but I do hope they fix the matchmaking aspect of multiplayer a little bit.

It was all a bit broken and not very intuitive.

6. westyfield says:

Is there some in-joke I’m not getting with these titles?

7. Wodge says:

Wargame: ManShoot SkyField will be the next one, you heard it here first.

8. Fazer says:

The only winning move is not to play.

• Koozer says:

How about a nice game of chess?

(I just watched this film for the first time not half an hour ago \o/ yeah I’m slow)

9. FreshwaterAU says:

No sea combat?!?! Preorder Canceled.

10. Goodtwist says:

The guys at Eugen did a splendid job both with RUSE and WEE. I’ll be more than happy to buy into the next game. Not least their games are getting better and better.

11. Hunchback says:

WARFACE!

AIRLANDSEA BATTLE SPACE WAR

12. apocraphyn says:

The only conceivable explanation I can come up with is that all these developers coming up with names such as Warface, Wargame: Airland Battle, Warframe and Warfighter are all secretly big fans of RPS and are purposefully contributing to the joke. Other than that, I…I got nothin’.

• Luke says:

If only this turned out to be true.

I don’t have that much faith in humanity publishers to actually believe it though.

• AlphaCentauri says:

As I’ve pointed out elsewhere, it’s a historical name, named after http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirLand_Battle

• apocraphyn says:

Gosh. Well, the US army are terrible at naming things. Weren’t they the ones that came up with the term “warfighter”, too?

…I guess the fans of this franchise can look forward to the inevitable “AirSea Battle” sequel, anyway.

• Xardas Kane says:

That explains the stupid name. It doesn’t excuse it.

And don’t you thinking linking that three times is a bit of an overkill?

13. -Zarathustra- says:

I quite enjoyed W:EE, but I bought it not realising it was primarily a multiplayer game. A little more single player content would be nice, and would entice me to purchase this new game.

14. Aggressor says:

I just hope they fix unit control. In EE they borked it big time.

15. Pindie says:

I bought EE thinking it was a semi-realistic SP game with MP similar to Close Combat but set in Cold War. I dropped it 60 hours in because it lacked active pause and other, pretty standard, features. It also had pretty much no micro-AI and you had to resupply units manually and do other busywork. In that regard even Starcraft was automatic and you did not have to order around any trucks and do supply runs and Starcraft is considered clicking fest.

In short I felt like a busy worker at an office, frantically micro-managing my units under time pressure and it was not fun for me. I realize some people might like clicking around frantically but for me that’s not the essence of strategy games.

The multitude of units was nice but in the end the game was not really balanced for finesse tactics that required you to be in 3 places at once.

Adding in airstrikes to the mix will just mean more busy work, I will skip it.

• DK says:

That’s just wrong in so many ways. You can play EE with a sub 20 APM and win handily. In no way do you have to frantically click or constantly manage supplies.

Claiming starcraft does it better when starcraft has ludicrous menchanics like LARVA INJECT – the very definition of pointless busywork – shows a lack of knowledge about the game.

Not to mention “I dropped it 60 hours in” – yes, you got 60 hours of gameplay out of a 50 buck game. That is far more than you’d get from most triple AAA games all of which demand a 10 buck extra just because they can.

• DuddBudda says:

this

I’ve got 40 hours in team v team multiplayer, have enjoyed every minute of it

being an SC2 player, I’ve kept an eye on my apm in wargame for yucks
        when I started, back in beta, I ran about 5 apm, after a couple weeks I hit 9 – in spite of my apparent lethargy I won most of my games

currently, I have a ~75% win/loss rate with 14 apm

why? because Wargame is a Real Time STRATEGY game

as for resupply automation: a big part of the game is tied up in the logistics of supply, and it’s not exactly challenging to keep four groups of two HEMTT active and safe

• oatbag says:

THESE.

OP super wrong – objectively speaking.

For anyone interested yes the SP is puzzle-y – but the AI for skirmish is decent enough if you’re online MP shy.

• Pindie says:

To reply:
            Shifting focus away from SP is the main criticism I was making.
            I want just “normal” missions.

Last Starcraft I played was called “Starcraft” (and expansions). It had its own lore and a player had no preconceptions regarding the builds he should go for or what units were good at what tasks.

Not going to go into details of AI, unless you want examples, but I think we will all agree it is quite basic.

I supose there are two kinds of people who buy the game: RTS fans and history geeks. The game was not made for the history geek but it sure made the impression and reviews were written from RTS fan perspective. Nobody mentioned the uneven pace, scripted waves of enemies and lack of active pause feature and looking at graphical authenticity I assumed the best possible scenario.
            I suppose today’s RTS players do not remember Close Combat series so they do not make the comparision.

Active pause. Would make the game really easy for me. I was having a lot of problems with checking on all my units and accurate clicking on bushes. Not to mention rearming the helicopters directly at FOBs (cannot just click directly on FOB to have helicopter find a place to land next to it for some reason but I kept doing that).

16. bwion says:

Upcoming future titles:

Wargame: Shootyshootybangbang
    Wargame: Battle Tennis
    Wargame: It’s Historical, Don’t Laugh

• The Infamous Woodchuck says:

Wargame: WWII: Deceptions

and thus the cycle ends.

• Phasma Felis says:

I thought you said “WWII: Decepticons.”

Man, how amazing would that be? Megatron turns into a King Tiger. Starscream is an Me109. Not sure who gets to be the Ratte. Brawl? Trypticon? Combaticons’ combined form?

17. Dana says:

Wargame is barely 6 months old and they are already making the sequel ? Thanks, but no thanks.

• Chimpyang says:

It’ll be out probably next Feb – when Wargame has been out a year. Plus…they’re making DLC 3 to sooth the pain a bit…

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yeah, I hate it when a developer that has previously released a game then goes and releases another game.

It’s like when your girlfriend or boyfriend has sex with you and it’s great, but then cheats on the past you by having sex with you again.

It’s a betrayal of trust and/or logic.

• DuddBudda says:

wargame is barely six months old and we’ve got two sets of free DLC already, which has included Skirmish AI: two new game modes and six extra maps

not exactly Bioware is it?

18. Elukka says:

The name isn’t that stupid if you know what it means but nobody including me does without Wikipedia, so…

They had a stupid name for their doctrine.

19. Evil Betty says:

That’s not how an F15 cannon sounds like.

20. mckertis says:

Airland Battle. Reminds me of this idea i once had, strategy game where you fight using dirigibles that transport tanks, at the beginning of the 20th century.

21. sgnl05 says:

Oh cool maybe you guys can actually do a proper WIT on this one.

You know, since you didn’t with the original.

22. Kevin says:

Awesome news. For two long, there’s been an A-10/Su-25-shaped hole in Wargame for me.

And for all those Pact players who hold their SA-11s so dear, be prepare to meet my dear friend AGM-88 HARM.

23. Keasar says:

They had me at Scandinavia, please say Sweden is in there! :D

• 4026 says:

FUCK YEAH FJORDS.

Man, it’ll be good to have some real terrain to deal with, rather than miles and miles of flat fields and forests interrupted by the occasional patch of slightly higher flat fields and forests.

• Alfius says:

Believe it or not folks this is about the closest he gets to being stoked about something.

In other news: Woop woop Wargame!

• VFRHawk says:

“FUCK YEAH FJORDS.”

Get Slartibartfast to design them!

24. Jimbo says:

Spam Skytanks.

25. Eli Just says:

I actually only clicked on this because of the last sentence

26. Hensler says:

Wargame: EE was a fantastic strategy game that seemed to get overlooked by a lot of places. But it was definitely my favorite game in the genre since Company of Heroes. I’m really looking forward to this one – my only real complaint with the game was a lack of air battles.

Both of Eugen’s previous games, the bloody brilliant and also overlooked Act of War and RUSE, were a couple of the only games where I thought the air units and gameplay mechanics for them made sense, so I was really surprised to see only helicopters in European Escalation. AirLand battle is a must purchase for me.

With this, and DCS: Combined Arms both coming out in the relatively near future, I’m pretty damn excited for the semi-sim RTS genre at the moment. Plus whatever the hell Bioware is going to do with C&C: Generals 2, and Company of Heroes 2 providing more cartoon/arcade type action. Almost makes up for the fact that Ubisoft has Massive Entertainment working on Assassin Creed and Far Cry games, instead of World in Conflict 2 or Ground Control 3.