Shadery Business: Zineth Released

By Jim Rossignol on August 10th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Looks better in motion, trust me.
Our eyes popped out of our tiny heads when we saw Zineth‘s trailer back in May, and it’s now out and available to download. I’ve been having a play with this psychedelic, near-abstract skating game, and I can report: INSAAAAAAAAAAAANE. You skate about in a vast landscape, building up huge momentum for crazy jumps, and do missions that arrive by cellphone. It can be a little tricky to get a handle on the movement physics at first, meaning navigating some of the ramps and jumps isn’t entirely straightforward, but that doesn’t take away from its peculiar beauty. You probably aren’t going to get another freeware (on Mac and Windows) mission-based freeform skating game today, so I would say: DOWNLOAAAAAAAAAD.

There’s also a spectacular launch trailer below, to watch if you are trapped on a work machine or something. Go. Go!

That’s the stuff.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Greggh says:

This is the stuff that my delirious, fever-ridden dreams are made of. This and, of course, giant Super-Deformed Mario Kart (SNES) races with coins everywhere on the screen.

• Dominic White says:

It really does have that ‘This is what videogames feel like in dreams’ vibe to it, doesn’t it? It’s rather brilliant.

lasikbear says:

I once had a very bad fever and spent the day playing Mario Kart, later that day I was walking outside and imagined myself powersliding whenever I turned. I could even see the speed lines from the boost.

Also this game looks lovely.

• mnishan111 says:

I find the extreme sports action camera! Perfect! Cheap!

This extreme sports action camera, buy on ebay! Requires a minimum of $ 153.5! I found a website! Only $ 133! Really cheap! Is here: http://www2.nl/oux/

2. xaphoo says:

The music in that trailer is something else. I hope it’s downloadable…

3. kibble-n-bullets says:

Ooh this looks snazzy. And it’s free you say?

LTK says:

The developer… put his OkCupid profile in the readme.txt?

That’s novel.

• Dominic White says:

Just wait til’ you get in-game and start playing around with the phone features. OKCupid links are mild compared to the quirkiness in there.

5. Bhazor says:

… the fuck did I just watch?!?

5 Stars

6. Eclipse says:

DAT SOBEL FILTER

7. Kefren says:

Jet Ski Radio Future

8. Terragot says:

Bravo, this looks great. And free you say? Other Indies should pay attention, in an over-saturated market, this is a fine way to win a fan!

9. Phasma Felis says:

It’s kind of amazing how well the pulled-back camera highlights the vastness of the landscape. You really don’t get that in a typical third-person view, and I wasn’t expecting it.

10. Tuggy Tug says:

DOWNLOADFACE

11. Tei says:

This looks like a hybrid of a old quake1 mod called “Slide” and Facebook. On LSD. With minigames. I approve!.

• Spacewalk says:

This is almost exactly what I imagined a standalone implementation of Slide to be like. It’s like they opened up my head and had a look ’round in it and then turned it into an actual game.

12. Untitled says:

This game is incredible

LTK says:

Using the right mouse button to select things on a screen is so unintuitive it hurts. What could possibly possess someone to do this?

• Dominic White says:

The game outright tells you that it’s designed to be played with a gamepad – it’s what the developers used, and it works so much better with one.

If you really don’t have one at this point and want to play anything other than RTS and FPS games, I really don’t know what to say.

LTK says:

That doesn’t answer my question. Every single person who has ever used a mouse knows that left-click = select. Every. Single. Person. Obviously this game has mouse and keyboard support, so why would the developer deviate from the single most intuitive bit of interface design possible?

I tried to rebind the functions skate = RMB and click = LMB but the only thing that did was make both buttons skate.

• Eukatheude says:

Actually they made it so that you wouldn’t accidentally click on the phone thingy while skating.

• stillunverified says:

Bullshit, you don’t design something really badly and then say “well if you wanted to use it then that’s your fault”, the game would work fine on mouse and keyboard if they actually put some effort into it.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Yeah, I still haven’t encountered a good reason to get one of those belly-sitting controllers. I completed Super Meat Boy, played through Arkham Asylum & City, all the GTAs, all with keaboard and mouse. And everytime someone reminds me of the console companies’s tendencies to only release shooters, I just can’t stop wondering why anyone would even do that.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

You are joking, right?

If not, well, then it’s probably futile trying to explain how useful the old mouse ‘n keyboard combo can be.

14. TheMusingMoose says:

Has anyone figured out how to get to the moon yet?

LTK says:

Well, in the desert where you begin you can see a long tunnel on your left side that eventually curves up by 90 degrees. Presumably that will launch you into space. It’s fenced off, so you can’t get there from the desert. There’s only one way to get into the structure where it originates. I’ll be damned if I know how to get there. Gave up on it for now.

• TheMusingMoose says:

This is where I am at this point. I think I will go do some missions instead.

• Eukatheude says:

You mean that sort of highway thing?
        I managed to get on top of it but it’s no use. Though there’s an opening under it, but how to get through it is beyond me.

tomeoftom says:

At the far end of the rail that leads from the gun-pointed-at-moon, on the underside of the bridge, there’s a hole. You have to get in that hole and ride the rain through the glass tunnel. To get in the hole, though, you need to be able to travel straight up (ie, use the hawk that picks you up when you fly out-of-bounds). To control the hawk, you have to defeat it in the phone shmup before it returns you to its roost. To do THAT you need to have a high magic stat, and do heaps of damage to it quickly.

I did it with a Magic of 40 with a bit of ingenuity: I launched myself really, really, really far out into the desert by wallriding the very top lip of the Speed Ring, then jumping over the edge when I was going about at 2000. That way, it took ages for the hawk to get home.

tomeoftom says:

When you’re heading towards the moon, do whatever you can to /not/ return to Earth. It glitched me out so now I can’t finish the game :(

• Eukatheude says:

Thanks! Where is the speed ring?

edit: nevermind

LTK says:

Yeah, where is the speed ring?

• liance says:

To reach the Speed Ring, you’ll want to grind the half loops within the city to gain enough speed to ascend to the top level – you should eventually get to an enclosed room that has a trainer inside it, and a series of opposing ramps. At the top of this room is an accelerating rail, which leads to another series of half loops, that you need to ride at full speed into another ramp to take you closer.

I think there are multiple ways to get the speed loop, it’s simply a matter of trying to go as high as you can in the city – all paths lead to the same place.

LTK says:

You have to defeat the hawk… at a phone game? WTF. Okay, I get that the signs with “No hawks please” were a hint to getting the hawk to fly through there, although I didn’t realize as much when I saw them, but you can’t honestly have expected me to know that the hawk has a phone. If I hadn’t read this I would have had to happen to look at my phone’s home screen while being carried by the hawk, which is not an impossible occurence, but pretty obscure nonetheless.

When the game said I needed to go to the moon, I thought: “Great. Nice to see that they’re foregoing all the hand-holding that pervades modern games.” But, damn, this is a bit much!

I did manage to defeat the hawk on my second attempt by using a lot of melee attacks. Did you know melee attacks destroy enemy bullets? That would have been nice to know beforehand. Anyway, the hawk’s attacks are not that strong, so if you have a reasonably upgraded creature then you can walk up to it and spam the melee attack. Most of his attacks won’t be able to get through, and its health quickly goes down.

After getting in the tunnel I actually wasn’t able to get to the moon using only the rail. Even leaving the rail at speed 1000 only got me halfway there or so. Fortunately, I went just a bit out of bounds, so the hawk picked me up and I flew it the rest of the way there.

Apparently the moon is just another bit of geometry high in the sky, so the hawk and I bumped into the bottom, and that caused me to fall down again. No lunar gravity, it seems. Didn’t glitch out on me though, I fell back to earth easily and went on with my business.

Also, check the debug menu for a hawk whistle. Instant flight! Woo!

This game is great!

• DXN says:

god damn it GET BACK IN THE ATTIC. GET. GO. NO. GO BACK. GO AWAY.

(spammer)

tomeoftom says:

I love this game so much.

Hodge says:

So the download gets to around 98% and then Firefox pops up a dialog saying I’m out of disk space. WHY MUST YOU TAUNT ME?

17. Xardas Kane says:

Fresh, original, fanatastically looking and sounding – if this was a boxed game, I would buy it the moment it hits Steam. And I almost never buy games on launch!

One minor complaint would be the way you activate wall gliding. It feels very unintuitive and random. That aside – developers, expand upon this! My body is ready!

And man, was the soundrack great.

A stray observation – thanks to the sand effects when skating through the desert (there’s a sentence I never though I’d say) the sense of speed is much stronger than on the cold hard surfaces of the city.

18. MatW says:

I love this.

But the low FOV and lack of mouselook really hurt it.

19. hosndosn says:

They really should charge money for it. Doesn’t have to be a lot. This deserves to pay their food for a while.

20. blanchjo says:

ZOMG! FLCL the game!

21. Net_Bastard says:

I’m pretty sure that when I was a little boy, I had dreams that looked a lot like this.

22. Lukuluk says:

It reminds me Hayasa, another student game from my school which had a similar gameplay and a multiplayer mode.
    The trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7YvZ4tNnfA
    Unfortunately, it looks like they didn’t continued.