Swords With Friends: Assassin’s Creed 3 MP Trailer

By Craig Pearson on August 13th, 2012 at 1:03 pm.

I'm a hacker
I’m excited about the upcoming anim-awesomety(tm) of Assassin’s Creed 3’s multiplayer. I’ve had loads of fun with the previous games in the series, as they’re essentially spy-vs-spy-spy-vs-spy-spy-vs-spy. The third game adds Domination, a conquest-style team mode, and Wolfpack, a co-op mode where you sprint across rooftops with up to three other friends to chase down AI targets. The tiniest slice of the new stuff is shown in an otherwise meta-story thick trailer, detailing the nonsense about the annoying time travel tech that everyone but Ubisoft hates. It’s only 3 minutes, but if you’re really averse to the Abstergo stuff you can skip to half-way through to see the new Domination and Wolfpack multiplayer modes in action. I’ve also uncovered some other footage, because I’m a hacker of the internets.

Team Domination here looks like a decent attempt to entice those who couldn’t quite make the leap from single-player stab-master to the terrifying prospect of being run through by someone else. Lots of grouping and slashing could be the competitive Trojan Horse the series needs, although I expect most will want to team up against the game’s AI.

Unless it’s a game about guns with twelve billion scopes attached, Ubi’s multiplayer always seems rather low yield. I wonder if it’s because of their stupid insistence to tie most of their games into their own online service, rather than sticking with the more readily used alternatives? Assassin’s Creed multiplayer has never really caught on, which is a shame as it’s probably the aspect of the series with the most potential.

I expect this trailer to be part of a Gamescom push before the game’s November 23rd release, so accept it as an appetizer and I’ll let you know of any more details released this week.

Extra bonus unofficial footage of Domination and Wolfpack modes.

Domination.

Wolfpack.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. airtekh says:

Yeah, I’ve found AC’s multiplayer to be very refreshing too. Really looking forward to it in AC3.

I hope they get the abilities balanced a bit better though; in ACB and ACR there’s literally no reason not to take Smoke Bomb as an ability, it’s so powerful.

2. Milky1985 says:

Wow, the first trailer they have released where you are not just killing the british redcoats!

• Pridit says:

Second actually if I remember correctly, in the anvilnext trailer Connor was killing americans.

MajorManiac says:

I did love the multi-player for Brotherhood. But I found the match making to be very tedious.

Once selecting what game mode you’d like to play, the game would just sit you in-front of a static screen. No timer, no progress bar. Occasionally it would update to reveal more players had joined the game, sometimes they would leave. I sat looking at a non-changing screen for 15 minutes once. Its sad that I’ve sat watching virtual-paint dry for longer than actually playing the game itself.

Did this get improved with Revelations? You don’t know how much you’ll miss a simple lobby screen until it gone.

Anthile says:

Hopefully it’s going to be more successful than my attempts at playing Revelations multiplayer: http://i.imgur.com/r6DkV.png

AlwaysRight says:

Coincidentally (considering the next article) AssBro was one of the only multi-player games my girlfriend and I played together on an even playing field (ish). We got to 60th in the world in Wanted mode.

6. ArcaneSaint says:

Am I really the only one who actually likes the Animus/Abstergo framework as a storytelling device?

AlwaysRight says:

Nope, I really like it too. Plus I find the graphic design really pleasing.

• Xardas Kane says:

Nope, it’s awesome.

• Highstorm says:

I like it too. The idea that everyone hates it as the worst thing ever gets pretty tired to read.

7. Bushcat says:

Why have Ubisoft hired Dr Breen to do the voice work on the trailers?
    Doesn’t inspire confidence.Is there something they should be telling us…

8. Timthos says:

What, not available in the US? What is going on!?

9. Heliocentric says:

Coop would be a great way to learn how to play this, and it would stop level 50 guys killing you. But really, I could do with level unlock equipment being removed all together, its not a feature, its a design flaw.

10. muskieratboi says:

Yeah, the trailer seems to be geolocked in the US.. thankfully not for us aussies though. it’s been re-hosted by some other channels at the moment, so do a search, you’ll find it.

As for the plot involved.. I just can’t believe Abstergo have released the Animus as a CONSUMER PRODUCT.

What kind of data could they be tapping into our minds with, here…?