Half-Life 3 To Be Announced At Gamescom? Who Knows

By John Walker on August 14th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

UPDATE: Guess what! Gamescom are now saying that Half-Life 3 and Dragon Age 3′s appearances on the list was “a mistake”, according to Eurogamer. Although they won’t say how that mistake happened. Also, Lamda Generation heard from Valve (a rare treat) saying they weren’t showing any games this year.

Another Half-Life 3 confirmation rumour? Why not. T3 have spotted, on the Gamescom pdf designed to show press what games are appearing, the Half-Life 3 is listed as Valve’s entry. You can see it for yourself right here.

It could of course me a mistake. It could be a joke by someone. It could be a crack in the fabric of time and space, allowing an entry from Gamescom 2098 to appear on 2012′s list.

But then, as T3 reports, that magazine that sells a lot of copies in Gamestop and is owned by Gamestop is delaying its print date this month in order to fit in an enormous announcement. In fairness, their penchant for hyperbole and their dedication to giving 2,901,393 pages to absolutely anything if they get some stupid month-long exclusive on promoting a product for someone else, means it could well be City Bus Simulator München, also appearing on that GC list.

Half-Life 3 rumours have been getting busier and busier of late, but seemingly not ever at the hand of Valve. A gamer spots what looks like Gordon Freeman’s face on their toast and causes a mass pilgrimage to their house, or someone plays Wheatley’s Spike Award acceptance speech backward and translates it into Swahili to get the number 3, and the entire internet explodes in a frenzy of frothing speculation, us included. This time it’s a word on a pdf, so back up that salt truck before taking this as genuine.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. golem09 says:

That’s tempting. Considering I already do live in Cologne…

2. Toberoth says:

Jolly good.

3. Donncha O Caoimh says:

I really should finish Episode 2 now, and quickly. (Hope springs eternal)

• zergl says:

I picked up HL2+Ep1+Ep2 shortly after the Orange Box release and figured I’d just wait until Ep3 is announced/released before I play it so I don’t have to bother with the waiting game after a cliffhangery ending. I mean, how long could it be?

• OddsAgainst says:

You best wait till release. Who knows how long the Valve time turnover could be for this title.

• golem09 says:

I bought the orange box about 2 years ago, still haven’t ep1 and 2. I guess at this point I’m waiting for Black Mesa to come out and play EVERYTHING again, since I’ve only played the first half of Half Life 1.

4. DeathHamsterDude says:

It . . . it’s happening, it’s finally happening.

• Ian says:

No it isn’t.

(I hope I’m wrong but there’s no use getting your hopes up any more.)

• hatseflats says:

I’m not sure what Valve could do at this point. Releasing an episode similar to HL2 and Ep 1 and 2 would probably disappoint; I played HL2 for the first time only a year ago and boy it hasn’t aged well. The kind of game HL2 was is simply old-fashioned. And I’m not saying that because I like CoD.
      Releasing a Half-Life 3 which is vastly different in terms of gameplay from the previous episodes would probably upset fans. Not releasing anything is probably the easiest way to go about it, but that, too, disappoints fans. They’ve moved themselves in a difficult position.

• egg-zoo-bear-ant will e 91 says:

Half Life 2 was quite different from HL1. They just need a similar jump in technology and to make the new gameplay good.

5. Askeladd says:

Let’s hope no alien invasion stops that uncertain announcement.

6. DarkLiberator says:

Please be true.

7. Fashigady says:

Valve to announce they are not announcing HL3 at Gamescom!

• Spengbab says:

TBH, it’d be worth getting floorspace just for a stand that says “Nope, no HL 3 this year, move on”.

• PoLLeNSKi says:

Literally having just replayed HL2 + episodes in the past week (well actually still gotta do the last little rocket bit in Ep2) I read that in the voice of one of the metrocops… ‘Nothing to see here, move along citizen.’

• RaveTurned says:

If I were Valve, at this point I’d create a three minute Half-Life themed remake of that scene from Dallas. Gordon Freeman wakes up in his suburban home to find he’s still a scientist at Black Mesa. The resonance cascade, Xen, the seven hour war etc were all part of some crazy dream.

There you go everyone, story’s over, thanks for playing and good night.

• Klatu says:

By ‘that scene in Dallas’ I presumed you meant Gordon in the back of an open topped limo, his shattered cranium being held together by Alyx as the G-Man exited the grassy knoll.

• RaveTurned says:

“HL3 officially announced as JFK: Reloaded remake!” – You heard it here first.

8. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

Oh my.

9. Namey says:

I’ll believe it when I see it.

10. Bauul says:

That… actually looks almost like it could be legit! Although I’ll believe it when I see it.

11. pakoito says:

We are organizing a meetup at the gamescom. COME JOIN:

12. Jams O'Donnell says:

There have been so many “will Valve announce Half Life 3 at [Event X]” rumors that have ended up in disappointment that I’m not even going to bother getting my hopes up any more.

Dammit. My hopes are up.

13. mrwonko says:

It does contain this disclaimer though: “* Bitte beachten Sie die Quellen: Aussteller, Gamesmedien, Internet, Foren, Blogs. Angaben ohne Gewähr.” Roughly: “Mind the sources: Exhibitors, Gaming Media, the Internet, Forums, Blogs. All information is subject to change.”

I wouldn’t get my hopes up, but I’ll be super pumped if they do announce it, since I’ll be there. :)

• RaveTurned says:

With that kind of disclaimer they could put pretty much anything on there, then turn around later and say “Whoops, sorry guys and gals that was just an inside joke!”. Meanwhile, they get free press coverage free hype, sell tickets. Can’t see why they wouldn’t deliberately stir up these kinds of rumours really – aside from, y’know, integrity. :/

• bitbof says:

This needs to be mentioned in the news. In fact I’m disappointing that it hasn’t been already.

One more pointless rumor.

14. The Hammer says:

Pleeeeeeeeaaase.

15. GetUpKidAK says:

F1 2011 is also on that list.

Didn’t Valve announce that they wouldn’t be at Gamescom?

16. c-Row says:

Not convinced yet. It even says “all indications without engagement” right under the headline and mentions forums and blogs as its source.

[edit] Beaten by mrwonko – damn! ;)

17. Bobka says:

Lots of “Online” titles (seems to me, at least)… Ice Age Online? Really?

Dragon Age 3 though, haven’t heard anything about that one yet.

Sleepings Dogs… damn it, every time I see that name I think it’s something else about Watch_Dogs!

“Rayman and Legends”. teehee

• dawnmane says:

Dragon Age 3!!!!

• RandomEsa says:

Dragon age 3 will have features that were considered standard 15 years ago, but still not quite as much like in Dragon Age: Origins: Source . The whole video is really really embarrassing to watch especially when they call out the cosplayers.

18. MajesticXII says:

Don’t really care that much anymore :(

I would be interested in a new source engine only to play the awesome mods that it shall spawn. :3

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’m in the same boat as you. Five years ago, HL3 would have been a day one purchase for me, but now I struggle to see myself even buying it at heavy discount later down the line.

I just don’t give a crap about the series anymore. Valve Time tends to do that to people.

19. PapaVoodoo says:

Hefty dose of salt: taken.

20. Meat Circus says:

Nope. Nope. Nope.

21. Dominic White says:

So, this year Valve are releasing CS:GO, DOTA 2, the Mann Vs Machine expansion for TF2 and officially unveiling HL3? As well as that big community update for Steam in general? And all in the wake of yet another mega-sale event and the release of Source Film Maker?

But hey, we all know they never do anything productive, eh?

• Fazer says:

It’s logical that bossless company can be anything but productive.

• JackShandy says:

It’s a bit odd that RPS hasn’t said much about Dota 2, actually. I understand waiting for release before giving out a full review, but it’s out there, it’s a complete polished game that’s getting the most players on steam.

22. Fazer says:

It seems legit this time O_o

23. AmateurScience says:

Oh my indeed.

24. corbain says:

This would be excellent, my taste for the Half Life universe was re-whetted by the Mission Improbable Mod, which I reccomend you all play.

it’s so good, it could easily have been an outtake from EP2, a la Lost Coast (it is in fact way better than Lost Coast)

25. Henke says:

Haha, I love the headline. :D

It’s so attention-grabbing and at the same time so unsubstantial. RPS should run headlines like that all the time just to keep things interesting. “Half Life 3 to be released tomorrow? I don’t know, maybe!”

26. max pain says:

Spoiler:

It’s not true.

27. ran93r says:

Maybe they will announce they have just started development on it, see you in five years folks.

28. golem09 says:

Half Life 3 dubstep trailer incoming?

29. Suriyawong says:

The universe will undoubtedly explode if/when this is announced.

30. JohnnyMaverik says:

The day they announce episode 3 is the day the world ends… so maybe 2012 is the end of days after all.

31. Delusibeta says:

The entire list is bollocks, since there’s a disclaimer:
    ‘Expected announcements gamescom 2012′
    *Please take note of the sources: exhibitors, media, intenet forums, blogs.
    *no responsibility is taken for the correctness of this information

32. KauhuK says:

My body is ready. I’ve been itching for some Half-Life style fps.

33. Network Crayon says:

I Can Haz End Times???

• TheApologist says:

I love this comment so much that I now love you.

• Obc says:

you sir, have won the internet. congratulations. you possibly cannot achieve a grander feat.

34. AJ_Wings says:

I think people should pay attention to this section of the first page:

* Vereinzelt werden Spiele ausschließlich in business area für Fachpublikum vorgestellt.

Courtesy of google translate:

* Please note the sources. Exhibitors, games media, internet forums, blogs No responsibility.

* Chance Games are exclusively in business area presented for trade visitors.

Could be fake.

35. thepaleking says:

“We are very pleased to announce, here at gamescom, the release of the Half-Life Trilogy. Combining the original Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and the episodes into a single package, updated with HD graphics and facebook integration. Thank you, bitches.”

36. Maldomel says:

I don’t believe it. Or rather, I’ll keep my skepticism around me like a cloak till it’s confirmed (or not).

37. Visualante says:

Welp, no Dota or CS:GO listed. Can only assume this is a joke.

38. Surlywombat says:

They also list “Fifa 13″ .. like that is gonna happen!

39. Squirrelfanatic says:

“Gameforge AG – AION”. AION?

40. Lambchops says:

I love John’s continuing dedication at refusing to name “that magazine.” Gloriously childish, but I’d watch out for one of their employees sneaking up behind him and giving him a wedgie!

• LennyLeonardo says:

Maybe his mum reads this site and he doesn’t want her to know he’s aware of “that magazine”.
      We’re talking about Razzle, right?

• LukeNukem says:

The internet also thinks that the cover for “that magazine” could be GTA5

41. Defiant Badger says:

Nonsense nonsense nonsense!

42. Hypernetic says:

NOPE I REFUSE

43. Lambchops says:

Glances at list;

WARFACE!

44. LTK says:

LALALALALALALALALALA I CAN’T HEAR YOU

45. Milky1985 says:

Bet valve come on stage and say

“Hello all. Yes we are working on Half Life 3, we don’t have anything to show you but we thought you would want to know.

Now go away and stop asking us about it”

46. Eddy9000 says:

Apparently the death rate rises between January and February because the elderly and infirm will themselves to hold onto life long enough to see another Christmas. I wonder if there will be a similar phenomenon after the Half Life 3 release as a multitude of now elderly gamers slip away with a satisfied smile on their lips…

47. TheApologist says:

This is it. It’s going to happen. The planets are aligned.

Next gen console specs are pretty much locked in, source 2 is coming, and Valve is pushing Steam onto Linux. Half-Life 3 is their machine to drive forward on all these fronts.

I can feel a good moon rising…

(And just like astrology, none of this means anything of course, other than I want it to be true, so leave me along to my rocking in a chair)