Remember Me, I’m The One That Kicked You In The Eyes

By Alec Meer on August 14th, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GODDAMN HONEY

Capcom apparently first announced Remember Me at GamesCom last year, but ironically most of the internet doesn’t remember that and has treated it like a new reveal today. Regardless, we have a trailer to watch, a confirmation that it’s on PC as well as the consoletoys, an elaboration on the Total Recall-esque story (but set in ‘Neo-Paris’ rather getting its ass to Mars), and a lead female character with kung-fu skills, mismatched gloves, brain-tapping abilities and clipped English tones shouting stuff like “WHO ERASED MY MEMORY?” and “I’M THE HUNTER! WHY AM I BEING HUNTED?’ It’s perhaps our answer to the question “what if Inception was penned by the writer of the Wicker Man remake?

Dialogue aside, it looks pretty snazzy/frenzied.

OH SILLY ME. Try this one:

If I’m not me, who da hell am I?

That’s due out next May, and here’s your blurb. “In Remember Me, players assume the role of Nilin, an elite memory hunter who is not only incredibly athletic and trained in martial arts, but also has the special ability to break into people’s minds and steal or even change their memories. When her own memory is erased, Nilin begins her journey to reclaim her identity and discover how she can change the world.”

Nilin, eh? Nil like ‘nothing’, presumably, because she’s a blank slate and that. I think they should have called her “Madame Zero.”

We also heard at the Capcom GamesCom presser this was shown at that Lost Planet 3 and DmC are both PC-bound too. The former is “early 2013″ and the latter lands January on console but “later in the year” on Winders.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Hoaxfish says:

Mirror’s Beyond Good and Edge?

I wonder if future Paris’s transport system still smells of wee

• c-Row says:

You forgot Psychonauts for the “Breaking into other people’s mind” bit.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I smell a bit of oni in the fighting, but maybe it’s just the hair that smell’s of everyone’s favourite brawler.

• snakeo_x says:

Bourne: Arkham neo-city

• pilouuuu says:

It reminds me of Watch Dogs meets Deus Ex meets Mirror Edge meets Assassin’s Creed, which can only be a good thing.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Replace Mirror’s Edge with Prince of Persia and I can definitely see it.

• Madzack says:

It’s that Strident: Shadow Front game we’ve been wanting to play

• SF Legend says:

In future Paris, all the transport smells of oui.

• maninahat says:

This game smells of ennui.

Nah, it probably won’t be too bad. Kind of bland though.

EDIT: After seeing some gameplay footage, I take back the bit about the bland. Some really impressive stuff going on there. Only the boring protagonist to complain about.

• Muzman says:

Total Mirror’s Blade Edge Recall Runner

2. Anthile says:

Remember Me would be a great name for a Amnesia sequel

3. magnus says:

‘Step away from the bike!’

4. Yhamm says:

no words for the developer Don’t Nod? =(

also, 7min of gameplay : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m82AF52mFi4

5. AmateurScience says:

This looks rather snazzy, struggling to find a functional reason why you would need gloves that don’t cover your index and pinky fingers: FUTURE CLOTHING!

6. elfbarf says:

How long do you figure until articles begin to pop up about how misogynist this game is?

• Alec Meer says:

You think you’re soooooo clever, WHICH IS HIGHLY IRONIC

• CrookedLittleVein says:

Ironic, eh? That’s rich coming from the guy with a ROBOT for an avatar.

I am on to you Meer.

@elfbarf; Don’t go being silly now, there’s a good chap/ette.

• Xardas Kane says:

You do know robots don’t make a difference between genders? Men, women – they all have to die. Destroy all humans!

7. Lambchops says:

Got the song reference before clicking on the story, quality tune.

8. Priestman says:

People don’t remember Capcom revealing it because they didn’t. Last year at Gamescom, DONTNOD were still pitching Remember Me (which was then called Adrift) and negotiating with various publishers, and even mentioned going full indie. Obviously they didn’t.

The idea behind the game, according to DONTNOD last year, was that it was set in 2084 (ref: 1984) when people had accepted the ‘surveillance society’ as normality. To be fair, I think we have already.

This is what I jotted down from speaking to the developers last year:

“the universe of [Remember Me] sees its people able to digitize, buy, sell or trade their own personal memories. Each citizen is fitted with a brain implant technology known as SenSen that somehow records experiences and memories. The exchange of personal information has been blown out of control and it now dominates the lives of its people, even acting as a form of currency. As is often the case with dystopian worlds, this corruption of humanity has allowed the transfer of power to a very privileged few who are under the false impression that they can control it. Mega corporations dictate above everything else, and the population is enslaved to their service.”

There’s more regarding the gameplay as well, all of this is from last year:

“A big influence for Adrift seems to be Rocksteady’s Batman titles, with a heavy focus on combat, complimented with light exploration and some puzzle elements. At the moment, the team is working on creating a solid action adventure experience, but they say they have at least one innovative feature to brag about as their unique selling point.”

They kept saying that this “innovative feature” was going to blow people’s minds. I doubted that then and further doubt that now.

• felisc says:

Are you some kind of videogame spy ?
      How much for intel on HL3 ?

• Didero says:

A memory of an afternoon’s frolic through a field of daisies.
        I’m willing to negotiate down to a weekend lazing about with friends, but no further.

• Arglebargle says:

For a great exploration of what happens when memory becomes detachable and transferable, try Pat Cadigan’s novel, Fools. Memory junkies…shiver…

9. tanith says:

Ah, I see they are still going for the old “if she doesn’t have tight clothing, cleavage, long nails and doesn’t swing her butt while walking then she’s not female”.
    Next.

(ironically RPS “remember me” function doesn’t remember me either)

• noodlecake says:

Nope3. Just a dumpy woman with glasses in her hello kitty pink pyjamas would look ridiculous… As would a guy in tie dye and John Lennon glasses… As would a a balding biker with a handlebar moustache. She needs to look aerodynamic and futuristic and slick. She has a really unique look from what I can see in the video. Pretty cool, I think

• Hoaxfish says:

tie dye, and balding, was Max Payne 3

• maninahat says:

Show me an unattractive female game protagonist over the age of 27. I’ll wait.

• Xardas Kane says:

On high heels. All them acrobatics with high heels. They are essential, without them any woman would simply struggle to even stand still.

10. Iskariot says:

This looks very promising.
    Another game I want.
    I am a sucker for anything cyberpunk.

What is the game world like? Is it open? Semi-open?

11. MadTinkerer says:

You know, there’s a great Occham’s Razor to apply to this situation that is rarely thought of by characters in this scenario: maybe your last mission was to retire and erase your own memory. Maybe they’re hunting you down because you’re a kung-fu master lunatic who is supposed to be relaxing in the Bahamas instead of beating up the poor security guys and other people you can’t remember are your allies.

But, similarly to how the Internet turned out, the logical applications of the tech don’t make for exciting sci fi. :)

• Zombie Jesus says:

I would not describe YouTube comments as a “logical application of the tech.”

• xrabohrok says:

“We are going to put you into retirement!”
      *shoved through window*
      “no waiiiiittttt….”

12. noodlecake says:

Wow. This looks like a Capcom game with bearable cheese levels. I quite like the look of this. I generally find them too cringeworthy! If you’re going to have dialogue that is as unbelievably terrible as most capcom games then surely you could just save money by firing all your script writers and actors and just have a series of levels.

• Wedge says:

Appears to just be a game Capcom picked up to publish, though this is the first time I can think of them doing this with a large scale title (whereas other Japanese companies like Sega and obviously SE have branched out as Western publishers for a while now).

13. Nick says:

OH GOD THEY’RE IN MY EYES ARRRGH

14. Bobka says:

Holy bovine, I do like the look of this.

15. Jason Moyer says:

“(but set in ‘Neo-Paris’ rather getting its ass Mars)”

I hate being pedantic, but I’ve re-read that about 5 times and I’m still not sure I understand what you were trying to say there.

• westyfield says:

There’s a scene in Total Recall where a recording of Arnie tells Arnie to “get your ass to Mars”.

• MrLakestream says:

Wouldn’t Paris in the future would just be called Paris?

• CrookedLittleVein says:

I have neo idea what you mean.

• Bobka says:

Maybe it was razed to the ground to be replaced by cyberpunks and deliciously electronic sound effects.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

The only survivors in the post-Parisian future were Daft Punk, because they were the only ones who remembered to wear helmets.

• maninahat says:

But but but, how else are we supposed to know its in the future? Huh?

16. Yachmenev says:

Capcom titles means GfWL titles so….meh!

17. Moni says:

Gameplay looks great. The movement of Enslaved, the future themes from Deus Ex and Syndicate, and the point-and-click puzzling from Ghost Trick.

Also the developer’s name is palindromic, so this is automatically awesome.

18. Jason Moyer says:

Half of my brain thinks that trailer is fantastic. The other half wishes they would have tried pulling it off first-person. Maybe a little Bladerunner mixed in your Mirror’s Edge.

• Xardas Kane says:

You just described Prey 2. Assuming it’s actually happening.

19. voidburn says:

Staring eyes?

20. trillex says:

She sounds like Jenna Sharpe, anyone who can confirm?

• Luke says:

I thought it was Lauren Cohan. Or maybe Kate-Beckinsale-a-like Rhona Mitra.

21. Freud says:

I like the basic idea and the setting looks great in a Blade Runner/Deus Ex kind of way. It does seem to have a bit of Assassin’s Creed parkour to it also.

Hopefully gameplay will be hold up.

22. Flint says:

I seem to be in the minority here but the plot outline doesn’t seem all that exciting or interesting and the gameplay looks a bit run-of-the-mill. The memory manipulation minigame looks like one of those things that look fancy as a concept but nothing too amazing in reality.

23. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Generic as hell. What is it with sci-fi being conflated with sparse or barren visual design, anyway.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

Laziness, pure and simple.

• maninahat says:

It’s because that is what we like now: Sci fi futures always resemble a hyper stylised ideal of contemporary culture – that’s why everything has that reductive, white, i-pod look, whilst everything from the 50s future had a stream-lined, silver, art deco look.

But you’re right. I’d like to see a future that throws back to an art nouveau, organic look – with curving lines and branching embellishments.

24. yurusei says:

It’s like Kate Beckinsale switched roles with Colin Farrell in Total Recall 2012

25. Milky1985 says:

Theres something wrong with the voice acting, it just doesn’t seem right to me, but i can’t put my finger on excatly why it doesn’t seem right.

Interesting to have another combat avoidance game however as i guess from the stuff i have seen that avoiding combat seems to be the main objective. Liking this move from shoot them in the face games to sneak around and stab them in the back we are having with watchdogs, dishonoured etc.

But that might say more about me than anything else.

26. Ovno says:

REMEMBER ME!!!! {flames}

Ahh bender….

27. HisMastersVoice says:

The memory manipulation looks boring as hell – here, watch the same scene three or four times, press a button twice, done in four completely wasted minutes. And it seems like you’ll be doing a lot of it.

Also, what’s with the animation set for the protagonist? Why does she move like a constipated man?

• Koozer says:

Go and play Ghost Trick for the DS. Replaying the same 5 minutes over and over with different outcomes is fun!

28. Jesse L says:

Spoiler: she erased her own memory.

29. Muzman says:

I’ll check this out as soon I can get past her elbow being a fingernail for some reason.

30. Kefren says:

Is that a fried egg on her neck?

31. Justin Keverne says:

Used to be called Adrift… I think that was a better name, simpler and more evocative.

32. aepervius says:

I can understand that “we will remember it wholesale for you-esque” isn’t as snazy as “total-recall-esque”… But I wish people would remember that the story and genre is not from total recall but from a story from Philip K. Dick….

PS: Neither a story blade-runner-esque , but rather “do androids dream of electronic sheep” esque :D. Ah whatever get off my lawn and go on with your snazy film reference.

• Xardas Kane says:

Last time I checked that visual steampunk style was nowhere to be seen in Do Androis Dream of Electric Sheep. Most certainly not in my version. The comparisons to Blade Runner mostly stem from that.

33. Felixader says:

Calling it now, she did it to herself cause of something that she did as “the hunter” or experienced and she wanted to forget it.

• Xardas Kane says:

I say she did it because she wanted to kill a lot of dudes. Kind of like Leonard in Memento.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I say she does remember everything, it’s just a scheme to gain the trust of some baddies.

34. Big Murray says:

This actually looks quite promising. The gameplay is quite obviously boringly linear and restrictive in the scope of its levels … but hey, so is Mass Effect. And that didn’t do badly for itself.

If the story is good (and it has the potential to be) and they do some interesting things with that “memory changing” mechanic which actually affects how the story develops … then I might just buy this.

35. Dizzard says:

Just watching the gameplay video…

I’m not really impressed with how the game just tells you exactly what you need to do. (kill alexis) It’s things like this that make me feel a game thinks I’m a moron. Also the gameplay seems a bit one dimensional….we’re getting so used to having many options open to us in these type of games but it seems like the only way to kill this guy is to make him think he killed his wife/lover.

The setting looks nice though but I can’t get over how the game seems to just lead you around. Half the fun sometimes is messing things up spectacularly and then figuring out how to properly fix the problem.

36. Kevin says:

Interesting premise.

Not a great big fan of that dialogue.