Blades To A Cannon Fight: Assassin’s Creed’s Ship Battles

By Nathan Grayson on August 15th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

OK, yes, this all looks quite good. But how will they mess up the Desmond sections this time?

I sort of love it when game trailers have zero context. For instance, I’m sure there’s a story-based reason full of love, loss, and QTE-based hugs for Connor’s sudden ability to captain a warship, but this quick glimpse makes it look like he simply stole someone’s clothes, strolled aboard, and started barking orders. I wish I could do that. I need more clothes. Also, a boat. At any rate, Assassin’s Creed III is blending high-seas shenanigans with its trademark brand of biffstabs, but don’t take my word for it. I tell only lies. See (note the merciful lack of an ocean pun here) for yourself after the break.

It definitely looks wild, with bits of plank, sail, and person flying every which way. I’m digging the ground-level – or, I suppose, deck-level, technically – approach to naval combat, and I’m sure there’ll be plenty of high-flying leaps and rope swings to back it up.

Perhaps more interesting, however, is a bit from Ubisoft’s brief description of the swashbucklier bits. Apparently, we’ll be able to “explore and conquer the open ocean,” which makes it sound like we’ve got free rein to do as we please. I like that, because it makes me think of Sid Meier’s Pirates or – if you’re a fan of one-eyed, one-horned flying purple consoleboxes – Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. I strongly doubt, however, that it’ll be much like either of those things.

But oh well. As you probably know, Assassin’s Creed III recently hit choppy waters during its voyage to PC – banishing it to November’s briniest depths. Not that another Ubidelay really took anyone by surprise, but here we are. In the meantime, does anyone have a luxurious ship captain’s outfit they’d let me borrow? I must at least try this. For if I do not try, how can I know for sure that it won’t work?

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. yurusei says:

I am blown away (sorry) by this. If they make it a multiplayer feature it’s definitely pre-order for me. Loves me some ship combat.

Chaz says:

That’s what I was thinking. Ship combat in stormy seas would be a great feature for multiplayer battles. Perhaps add in a strategy element of capturing and holding ports, and it’d be a pretty fantastic MP game.

2. BobbyDylan says:

Why do the AssCred protagonists always walk everywhere in slow motion. It must take them ages to get anywhere.

LTK says:

Nah, you’ve got it backwards. It’s all the other video game protagonists who are always running everywhere. Walking has class. See also: Batman and Hitman.

3. Slinkyboy says:

I would laugh so hard if it’s only one level and half of it is a big long cut scene.

4. kikito says:

I refuse to be treated like a pirate.

If it has ubi’s DRM, I will sail to other waters.

• Bobsy says:

Water strange video. It’s avast improvement on the last game, certainly. I can sea this is going to get a lot of sails in its first week. Still, it’s all a bit tack-y. I don’t know yacht to make of it, but something tells me this is not a ferry good reflection of the full game. Schooner be one to watch, at least, if we can all get dhow off our high horses about it.

• The Greatness says:

Wow, it mast have taken you quite a lot of time to think up all those puns. I’d bow to your puns, but I fear others may be a little more stern.

• Droopy The Dog says:

That avatar, those words, it’s the perfect storm of puns.

And all for a little clipper ACIII footage.

• yurusei says:

Bet he had a whale of a time.

Look at the broadside – at least they decided to sail for new waters and introduced new ideas.

• Satanic Beaver says:

Holy Shit.

• Satanic Beaver says:

I do agree though, unless it is a vast improvement over the last few games, without uplay, i will wait until it is dirt cheap in a summer sale.

5. BloonerNL says:

“See for yourself after the break of the waves.” FTFY

6. UncleLou says:

It looks good, but I’d be more interested in a game where what is in this trailer is the main focus.

7. Avish says:

Assassins – Secretly and stealthily killing people with battleships ( and big explosions ).

Edit: I wish UBI would put more effort in creating a true assassins game and not the Micheal Bay version.

• UncleLou says:

Yeah. Before AC1 was released, I was expecting an open-world, historical Hitman, with clever level/assassination design etc., and the game even occasionally hinted at that. I never quite got over the disappoinment that that wasn’t really what the series is about though, and continue to judge it unfairly on what I wish it was rather than what it is. If that makes any sense. :)

• Ultra Superior says:

It does and I have it xactly the same. The gameyness and the ridiculous premise ruined what could’ve been a brilliant hitman / thief sim in an amazing world.

8. Inigo says:

SOCIAL CAMOUFLAGE™

9. Screamer says:

MASTER AND AssCOMMANDER: The far side of a stealth kill!

10. Didero says:

The guys pushing the anchor wheel didn’t connect with the thing, the guy pulling the rope had the rope go through his hand, and when the sails were let down, they just clipped the ropes already there.

That may be nitpicking, but if you’re going for realistic, at least do it right.

11. AngelAtTheTomb says:

So nobody on the boat is wondering why the captain is taking everyone else’s job? Steering, climbing ropes, hanging out on crow’s nests, stabbing… Aren’t they concerned they’ll be laid off?

12. Bungled says:

Seriously, this game has sold me on just this feature! i need a game this is all of this, all the time!
    There is not nearly enough(Or maybe none that comes to memory that is less than 10 years old) games that captures the incredibly sexy time of 16-18th century ship on ship combat in the 3rd or first person.