Dead Space 3 Going Planetside In February

By Nathan Grayson on August 15th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Is it just me, or does that Necromorph look kind of mischievous? Maybe he left a whoopee cushion in Isaac's chair or provoked his schizophrenia or something.

Tragically, that’s a referential wink at, you know, space¬†– not news of an impending crossover between Visceral’s friendship-making, Necromorph-breaking scare-‘em-up and SOE’s massively multiplayer shooting opus. Still though, Dead Space 3 has a release date now, so that’s exciting. Specifically, it’s joining every other game in the known universe by plotting a course for February 2013. And while it’s definitely taken its fair share of flack for choosing to bind Isaac to another character, I must admit that this latest trailer has made me a bit more hopeful. Get sucked into the cold, endless vacuum below this post to see the full thing.

Admittedly, this trailer is likely a direct reaction to the backlash Dead Space 3’s gotten so far. I mean, all the old standbys are here and accounted for: cramped corridors, tons of darkness, Isaac clawing desperately at a ledge as space’s icy grip tugs at his heels, Isaac babbling like a crazy person, and so on and so on. Also, EA notes that Isaac has to do some sleuthing on this abandoned flotilla “first,” after which he’ll head to Tau Volantis. So this could just be an extended prologue section for all we know. Carver, meanwhile, takes a pretty clear backseat throughout – though that’s apparently par for the course if you opt to tackle Dead Space 3 all by your lonesome.

Gamescom apparently also brought the announcement of a crafting system, which involves the collecting of raw materials, parts, etc. It sounds like a fairly logical extension of Dead Space 2’s power-node-based upgrade system, but it remains to be seen whether or not sniffing around for all sorts of bits and bobs will detract from pacing or scares like it did in, say, Alan Wake: Find All The Coffee And Also Shoot Monsters I Guess.

I’m choosing, however, to remain optimistic. Adam’s recent run through Visceral’s haunted house of space ghosts and goblins, especially, went a ways toward putting my mind at ease, so I’m crossing my fingers that it doesn’t devolve into an all-out bro-powered blastfest later on. It’s out February 8th in Europe and February 5th in North America. I know what I want for Valentine’s Day.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Moni says:

Every time that helmet closes I start singing: “I, am, Dead Space man, dodo, do, do, doo, doo, do.”

2. Enzo says:

February is the new November.

3. Archipelagos says:

Die Space: Dead Harder!

4. vodka and cookies says:

Well from other sources {PA Report} who got their hands on the game the single player is for the most part exactly the same as past Dead Space games, they only time it’s little different in single player is when your up against human enemies which are not too common.

The co-op is a separate beast and story altogether.

5. Kablooie says:

Liked the first game and loved the second (which addressed some problems/shortcomings the first had); this’ll be a game I’ll watch for.

6. Roshin says:

I agree that giving Isaac a voice and a face dilutes things a bit. I like the idea of Isaac simply going crazy from everything he’s been through. I’d like to see them push that further and make it so he sees necros everywhere and isn’t fit for human interaction again, making him truly lost. More Amnesia than Michael Bay, you know? But that’s just me. :)

The idea of crafting sounds odd. “I know we have to save (insert name of generic damsel in distress) from the necros, but I need to find two more pieces of steel first for a gun I’ve been tinkering with…”

• BobbyDylan says:

That sounds brillaint. A game sent in a space station where you carve you way through untold masses of “horrors”, only to find out at the end of the game, that you were halucinating, and actualy butchering innocent civilians…… I would soooo buy that.

7. BreadBitten says:

“…but it remains to be seen whether or not sniffing around for all sorts of bits and bobs will detract from pacing or scares like it did in, say, Alan Wake: Find All The Coffee And Also Shoot Monsters I Guess.”

You were really hooked on collecting those thermoses weren’t you Nate? Can’t really blame the game though as the thermoses and whatnot were completely unnecessary in progressing.

8. PopeJamal says:

I’m sorry but during E3, this looked way too much like Gears of War: Dead Space for me to be interested. I shall once again try my best to “DESTROY ALL THE GAME MARKETS!111!!” by waiting for my friendly neighborhood Steam sale.

Until then, the dudes and bros can have at this title.
    BROFACE!