Deserves Some Buzz: Routine Is Amnesia On The Moon

By Craig Pearson on August 15th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Scaredronauts

Kubrick knew all about the Moon (capitalised out of fearful respect). 2001 was a huge warning to keep away or we’d be eaten by space babies and tossed down a psychedelic garbage chute. But we didn’t keep away. We meddled and then, 30 years later, he died. Think about it. Icy tendrils of fear are no doubt wrapping around your spinal column, like a snake with bad circulation that’s just drank a smoothie, so now’s the perfect time to DRAMATICALLY reveal Routine, a scarifying indie survival horror set upon Kubrick’s greatest nemesis.

There’s not a lot, other than a teaser with floaty space gibs and glitchy, scratchy images, but the trailer hits the right tone of squelchy thumps, and showing what appears to be a Robotic Slender Man in space. If you’ve not got your hands up in front of your face, you can have a look. If you do have your hands up in front of your face, don’t worry: no-one here is judging you.

More info points to a non-linear story on a fully-explorable Moon base, but with randomised puzzles and AI. There’s no HUD, no points, no health bars. When shit hits the space fan, you run and you hide, and if you die then that’s it for your progress. Perma-death, just like on the real moon. No idea when it’s out… look that’s all I know. What do you want? The moon on a stick?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Mr. Mister says:

Please tell me there’s no artificial gravity generator in the indoor levels.

2. TheManfromAntarctica says:

It’s since I finished playing the first Dead Space that I’ve been dreaming of a survival horror set in space with less shooting. However, when I watch this trailer, the only thing I can think about is: floppy disks?

3. BooRanger says:

phh talk about being a few decades to slow, mars is now where its at.

• TechnicalBen says:

The moon seems way scarier. No atmosphere means looking anywhere above the horizon looks near pitch black. Well, unless your looking towards the sun, in which case it’s blindness. So all in all, a difficult place to actually see anything… the anything creeping up behind you!

• Mr. Mister says:

Because obviously the game will look like that. I mean, it’s entirely impossible that the developers don’t make use of such an opportunity just because playing it on a console may mean that (RL) ambience light might make darkness obnoxious, right?

4. Sfitz says:

I simply must have this now.

5. Iskariot says:

I am definitely interested.
    And with realistic physics this could be very cool.

6. Jams O'Donnell says:

Obligatory moon on a stick link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERDUbAv8Qz0

This sounds excellent. Find more news and post it, RPS. Then steal the source code and send it to me.

7. AmateurScience says:

This is now firmly on my radar, very promising indeed.

Slightly off-topic, but a lot of/most of the first person adventure/explore ‘em ups out there seem to be scary ones (e.g. Amnesia, Prenumbra, this). Has anyone ever tried to make a game more in the ilk of Time Gentlemen Please! in first person? Because the idea appeals to me greatly now that I think about it :)

8. ResonanceCascade says:

I’m so glad we’re finally getting all these great first person non-shooters. It’s a childhood dream come true!

9. SelfEsteemFund says:

Impressed with everything up until I noticed it was UE3.

• dee says:

Why does that matter? It’s a solid engine, especially for this type of game.

If Amnesia, System Shock, Thief or Half Life ran on UE3, would they be worse?

• PopeJamal says:

Yes. To paraphrase Henry Ford: “You can have any color car you want as long as it makes everything look like plastic and it runs on the Unreal engine.” Henry Ford was a Nazi lover. Therefore, people who play Unreal engine games are Nazis?

MOONFACE

10. wodin says:

Anyone remember that other space game but Isometric being made by a lone developer? I think it was set on a research station or ship or something..looked really good. I can’t remember the name though.

11. wodin says:

Also got this link of this games website..about a game called..Moonhelm

“First-Person RTS/RPG Roguelike. Created by IMakeGame & Cerberus Software”

Description
    Moonhelm is a roguelike, realtime, First-Person RTS/RPG with perma-death and procedurally generated environments, objectives and campaigns. The whole game can be summarised as “that one scene inside the vents in Alien… meets The Thing”.

Players guide a single main unit through the campaign: if he dies it’s game over. In addition to this they can recruit fellow shipmates – the twist is that some of these npc’s are in fact aliens masquerading as allies; They’ll follow your orders like any other squadmate until they’re discovered by stumbling across the corpse of the person of whom they’ve assumed the identity.

The flip side is that Moonhelm is almost impossible to complete alone – squad members have unique abilities which allow access to restricted areas, damage boosts and other skills which alter the overall dynamic and feel of the game.

The player will have to choose who to trust based on past experience. It isn’t ‘game over’ if a squadmate turns, though your chances of survival will be notably slimmer!

• LennyLeonardo says:

“Thinking of space and stuff..Moon is a great film..well worth watching, also has an old school sci fi vibe aswell.”

This is objectively true. The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal. Plus it has a tiny cameo by that guy who plays Douglas Renholm in the IT crowd. And that’s good.

• Satanic Beaver says:

I loved moon. I was expecting it to just be a copy of space odyssey, especially when

SPOILER ALERT

the AI was trying to keep him from going outside, but i was actually amazed at how different and original it ended up being. Sam Rockwell is a good actor too.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Not only that, but it’s directed by David Bowie’s offspring. And he’s a cool guy! And he likes Ultima Underworld, according to a tweet I saw from him a while back!

/manswoon

12. Brise Bonbons says:

This is very exciting; we definitely need as many non-shooty survival horror games in space as we can get.

I really dig the presentation so far, too. This one goes on my watch list at the top!

13. SRTie4k says:

Wasn’t 2001 actually a warning to stay away from Jupiter?

• whydidyoumakemeregister says:

I think the movie is vague and just calls it the Jupiter mission, but I definitely remember the book has them slingshot around Jupiter to get to the signal that was coming from one of Saturn’s moons. So, still a moon.

14. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I shall begin growing a goatee so I can stroke it while considering this news.

15. zeroskill says:

Wow, this looks pretty sweet and got me excited. But 2013…

16. Satanic Beaver says:

This looks very cool, we need more space games that aren’t ship games, and a horror game on the moon sounds great, could be the perfect creepy atmosphere. Space Odyssey is one of my favorite movies, and moon was great too.

17. tomeoftom says:

I want this SO badly.

18. Shazbut says:

What the bloody hell? YES! Give this to me!

It’s almost like the cosmos responded to what I was saying in the comments of the new Aliens game.

The only thing that could make me unhappy is if it somehow becomes a game about shifting tiles and reading scraps of paper.

19. Geen says:

I’m getting nice Alien vibes from this. You, alone, in space, helpless, and one, only one deadly sonovabitch hunting you, able to rip you a new one with their pinky.

20. nimzy says:

This is like a high-fidelity SS13. In fact, if they have mod tools and multiplayer code, it could very well be the next SS13. This is definitely giving me good vibes.

And in the words of a Syndicate agent, “GET DAT FUKKEN DISK.”

21. Unaco says:

I dunno… It all feels a little regular, unvarying, habitual, unimaginative, procedural.

22. Big Murray says:

After this and Remember Me, 2012 seems to be the Year of the Flashy Trailer For Games Being Released Next Year. Or something.

23. Torgen says:

“YOU LEFT ME ON THE F**KING MOON!”
    (flails arms)

24. noom says:

Between this and Primordia, you have made this sci-fi nerd very very happy today RPS.

25. Wonderboy2402 says:

Damn, this game sounds really immersive. I will definitely be checking it out.

But what I really want from an immersive, exploration game of survival and horror? I want a REMAKE of Jurassic Park Trespasser from 1998. It would kick ass now, and they could achieve what they were trying to do.

26. amishmonster says:

If the movie Moon taught me anything, it’s that the Moon actually DOESN’T have perma-death. I’d say “spoilers”, but it’s nothing that the main character doesn’t figure out a third of the way through the movie.

27. Skabooga says:

Well if the title didn’t get me super-excited, that description sure did. It’s like game developers are making what I’m thinking!

Comment on this story