Humble Android Bundle #3 Is For PC, Mac, Linux Too

By John Walker on August 15th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

Because Android people are just better than iOS people. FACT.

After a brief foray into the world of music, the Humble folks are back with their third Android bundle. Which is also a PC, Linux and Mac bundle too. Buy them, and you’ll get versions for each. In there this time are BIT.TRIP.BEAT, Fieldrunners, SpaceChem, Uplink and for those who pay above the average, début release Spirits. So that’s quite an… wait, what, Uplink’s out on Android!

BIT.TRIP.BEAT is obviously a bit of an oldie, originally released in 2010, and having appeared in Valve’s original Potato Sack bundle over a year back. Fieldrunners too (and not, sadly, Fieldrunners 2) goes back even further, its first mobile release in 2009. The Android version was originally released in July last year, but at least the PC version only came out this May. SpaceChem is obviously hugely loved by RPSers, but also originally featured in January 2011, and of course Uplink was created by the ancient Mayans. But! But! This means Uplink is finally out on Android!

So it’s not exactly the freshest bundle, unless you fork out enough for the unknown Spirits. Obviously this provides an excellent way for people to plug gaps in their collection, and all of the games are splendid (well, I’m told Fieldrunners is splendid – I had it on my iPhone the entire time I owned one, but could never get past my “but it’s a tower defence game” barrier.) And I’ve been dying to get Uplink for my Transformer Prime since it was announced. Just think about playing that on a nice big tablet (yeah, whatever, iOS users – you’re using iOS) – you would basically be the coolest haX0r everz.

I know it makes me a platform betrayer, but I also think having SpaceChem on a tablet might finally be enough for me to fix my ways and get around to figuring it out. And Humble are releasing an improved version of their Android app to accompany all this.

I’m not sure this will be one of their “Oh my god, they’re draining the banks of every major nation!” releases, but I can see a lot of people using this as the way to grab a missing game from their collection, or grab it for a new platform. And you can be sure they’ll add at least a couple more games this time next week.

, , , , , , .

1. mmalove says:

No link?

2. DJJoeJoe says:

Link should be provided, but whatever. I guess the humble bundle is popular enough that people already know? http://www.humblebundle.com/

3. Chap O says:

Edit: Ninja’d.

4. h4mst4h says:

How nice, I just bought an android phone.

• Premium User Badge LTK says:

So did I. Bought this in a heartbeat, without caring a whole lot about which games are in it, but it’s the Humble Indie Bundle, so you can’t go wrong!

5. tlarn says:

Wait. Wait a minute.

Uplink on Android? Sure, it says it’s just for tablets, but Uplink played with a touchscreen? I’m probably gonna nab this bundle just for that.

• Premium User Badge FriendlyFire says:

Gotta say that’s what’s attracting me to this bundle. I’m not exactly sure how Uplink translates to tablets, but I loved the game.

Anybody’s tried it yet?

• Premium User Badge Hodge says:

Not tried it, but I’m hoping that it means they’ve fixed the interface so that it scales nicely to different resolutions… and that they’ve updated the PC versions with the same enhancement. Playing PC Uplink on a modern screen is almost impossible due to the tinyfonts, and the sole reason I’ve never gone back and finished it properly.

• MaximKat says:

Nope. Everything is small, and it also crashes regularly. Very disappointing.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

That does sound fun. Sadly, I don’t have an Android tablet, though I’m considering a Nexus 7 when it’s released in Europe.

Might just buy the iPad version of Uplink for $5, which I didn’t know existed until now – it’s been out since June.

• Humppakummitus says:

I’m wondering how it works too. Isn’t Uplink about typing in a console window really fast? Well, among other stuff, but that’s the best part. :)

6. Henke says:

Spirits is pretty good. It’s like Lemmings but with more aerodynamics.

7. SkittleDiddler says:

After the quality of the last Humble bundle, this one looks pretty paltry by comparison. And BIT.TRIP.BEAT made me feel like I was going to have an epileptic fit when I tried to play it.

Meh.

• Starky says:

Yeah I got it for space chem, but paid the minimum ($5.80) – if they pull the usual trick of addig more stuff later (and assuming it isn’t crap) I’ll probably up my payment to them to $10 (which I think if more than fair given I own a couple on PC already).

• Picklesworth says:

You’re lucky you got that far. I got a headache trying to read the font in that game’s menus.

• JD Ogre says:

BIT.TRIP BEAT is no BIT.TRIP RUNNER, that’s for sure. Of course, that’s not too surprising, given it’s the first game, so I guess it should be expected to be a bit rougher ’round the edges.

8. Kodeen says:

FYI, they also updated the HIB app to 1.3, which is acting flaky on my Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.1.1. The new version will keep crashing until you clear the app’s data, and even then it’s a little wonky.

Edit: Please be aware that SpaceChem and Uplink are tablet-only.

• Premium User Badge Trinnet says:

While they’re labelled ‘tablet only’, both seem to run fine on my phone (although I strongly suspect Uplink will prove pretty much unplaytable on a phone sized screen).

9. Premium User Badge Carra says:

I’m gonna pass this one, already have the games I want.

But no problem, I still have some games from the previous bundles which I haven’t played yet…

10. Dinger says:

and just a couple hours ago, Google Play refused my credit card for a Spacechem purchase due to unknown bugginess. Now, everything’s coming up Milhouse!

I should add, that, from my experience with the Demo, Spacechem on an Android tablet is awesome. In the same way that the PC interface is a little tedious, the tablet touch interface is fairly intuitive (once you figure out the menu-tapping part).

Err, wait, this is a PC gaming blog. Only on the PC version do you get the live-action Spacechem interludes, and Steam Cloud functionality.

11. JD Ogre says:

Already have SpaceChem and Uplink, of course, from previous Bundles, and don’t own an Android device, but I still tossed $10 their way for the other 3 games. And I like that they now let us have accounts with Humble so we don’t have to juggle a half-dozen plus keys whenever we want to redownload something…

12. RegisteredUser says:

To be perfectly honest, I’m not impressed.

Also: Gaming on Android? If I wanted to power down my phone within seconds, I’d just hold down the power button… :P

• Starky says:

My nexus 7 gives me a solid 4 hours minimum of gaming between charges – usually more like 7-8 with the usual breaks and distractions.

Of course phones don’t have half that, but most of these games are focused on tablet play anyway.

• John Walker says:

My Transformer Prime gives me 10 hours min. Admittedly typing this comment on my Galaxy Nexus has drained the battery.

• RegisteredUser says:

Which is enviable. But I’ve got a ZTE Blade, in the UK known as Orange San Francisco on Orange U.K., which basically goes from green to “shutting down” the minute you glance away form it. :p

And running anything “intense” on it(just a trickle of a data feed and a visual UI for the feed in my case) cuts use time to about 2 hours tops.

First generation / low end curses, I guess.

Still not something I’d consider as an awesome interface for gaming, regardless, tbh.
      If it had another panel with NES like digipad and buttons, then maybe. But touch screen gaming so far I’ve experienced as games like “Angry Birds”, and that just makes me yawn. And thinking about stuff like DOOM via touchscreen on such a tiny display?
      The horror.

About the only thing I can picture is turn based tactical RPGs, SNES style(or roguelikes etc). Or such as Nintendo DS or what it is now.

13. tanith says:

I wonder when people will lurn that PC = Linux = Mac.
    It should be Windows, Linux, Mac, since these are all operating systems that can be run on a PC.
    Therefore this is not a strictly mathematical expression.

• Premium User Badge James G says:

Wouldn’t Windows, Linux, OSX be even more accurate, as Mac tends to refer to the hardware.

• Kaira- says:

OS X is just the version of Mac OS. Yeah, actually it would make sense currently.

On the subject, technically even Android can be a PC OS, since they now have the x86 version. Not to speak about that Android is also Linux (though not GNU/Linux).

14. Premium User Badge James G says:

Jumped in on this one mainly for the Android versions. I’ll have to look in to seeing if I can share my progress between my desktop and my tablet, that would be neat.

15. Premium User Badge Mungrul says:

Sweet, more toys for my Nexus 7, which has turned out to be a lot more interesting and useful than I’d hoped :)

16. Pheeze says:

Can’t play Uplink on my S2, shucks. Maybe I can decompile it and remove the force quit that happens when you try to launch…

• Rich says:

Presumably you’ll also need tiny fingers and a magnifying glass.

17. Moraven says:

Awww…Uplink is Tablet only. Not expecting to invest in one still holidays. (Nexus 7 or Asus Transformer)

Wish I got the first Humble Android. At the time I had no device that could play any of the games. Same with #2 but was smart to pick it up.

• Starky says:

Get the nexus 7 – honestly I’m a convert, larger tablets (10 inchers) are a waste of time – they’re too big to comfortably hold, too big to carry without a bag, and if you’re going to carry a bag that big you’d be better off with a cheaper, more powerful netbook. The transformer is nice and all, but it’s still a big mobile OS – only the windows surface tablet might be a worthy hybrid (because it actually runs regular windows and x86 instructions).

10 inch tablets are great if you want something to keep in the house as a semi-mobile entertainment hub, as in just around the house sat on the couch with it.

But 7 inch is defiantly the right size for a proper take-it-anywhere app/games/entertainment device (especially if like me you hate the trend for phones with massive screens that you can’t fit in your damn pocket anymore).

I’d say the only drawback of the N7 is the lack of 3G, but frankly for £200 (and forget the 8gb model, you will need 16 – hell google should have only offered 16 and 32 for £260) it is price worth paying, and you never need to worry about contracts or apps using a crapload of data on the sly.

• Rich says:

“only the windows surface tablet might be a worthy hybrid (because it actually runs regular windows and x86 instructions).”
        If you get the x86 one. The ARM one is going to come with Windows RT and will only run Microsft App store stuff.

• Premium User Badge emertonom says:

Having used a Nexus 7 for a while now, I would say there are two other drawbacks to it. The first is that it lacks an SD slot, so the memory you buy is all you get. They’re trying to claim cloud storage makes that insignificant, but I’m not yet certain that’ll be the case long-term. The second is that, unlike previous Android devices, it doesn’t support Flash at all. Market says it’s incompatible. You can technically sideload flash onto the device using an APK from XDA developers, but the Chrome browser won’t run it anyway, and it rarely works if you try to use it in Firefox Beta. It supposedly works fine in the AOSP browser (what’s commonly called the “Android stock browser”), but that doesn’t come on the Nexus 7, and you can’t install it on there without rooting the device. And rooting the device makes it not work for Google Play Movies, which sucks. In short, it’s a *real* pain to get Flash working on the thing, well past the scope of what the average user can do, and Flash was one of the points where Android had an advantage over the iPad. It’s surprising how hampered your web experience is without it. (The third and relatively minor point is that it doesn’t have a removable battery, so in the event that it hangs, there’s no way to shut the thing down. I haven’t read any reports of anyone encountering this yet, though. I thought I had a few days ago, but while I was at the computer frantically googling how to force it to shut down [long-pressing power wasn't working], it finally responded to my earlier “back” presses and force-quit the Facebook app that had caused it to hang.) It’s basically an excellent tablet, but it’s not without its own little foibles.

18. Gnoupi says:

Oh look, more already successful and famous indie games in the humble bundle.

• Rich says:

Yes, just like every other one. What’s your point?

• Starky says:

The humble bundle was never about featuring unknown indie games – it was always about raising money for charity (and the devs) by putting together a bundle of great quality indie games.

Frankly I’m glad they are not filling their bundles with the dross of indie gaming – other bundler can only really manage 1 draw title and then 5-6 fillers. HiB usually manages at least 3.

• Rich says:

Less successful indie games tend to be arcadey rubbish. I’ve never bought a Royal Bundle or whatever they’re called, since none of the games looked good.

• RegisteredUser says:

Indie Royale bundles over time have featured several good games, from classic RPGs to Hard Reset to Gemini Rue adventures, all of which got favorable RPS impressions, too.
          However around half of them were a bit “meh”, admittedly.

• Gnoupi says:

The Indie Royale bundle is more pushing games which are not really known, on side of more popular ones. Like “RegisteredUser” said, there was Hard Reset and Gemini Rue. There was also Sanctum, Nuclear Dawn, Dungeon Defenders, Defense Grid, or Zeno Clash, etc.

On side of that, you have great games which are not particularly popular: UnEpic, 1000 amps, Explodemon, Hask Slash Loot, Really Big Sky, for example.

And “smaller” games, added to it, which are nice to play once or twice. Probably what you put in the “arcadey rubbish” category.

But in my opinion, it’s a pity to dismiss these bundles like this.

• Dinger says:

Yes. Success, unfortunately, breeds success.
      Note that this is an Android bundle, and not an indie bundle, since while these titles might be indie on PC, that label has even less meaning on the Android/iOS marketplaces.
      I’m happy to see that all these old school 2D platformers can get their “me too” bundles harking back to the glory days of the eighties. To paraphrase the Hold Steady, I survived Nintendo California Raisins once, and I don’t remember them all that fondly.

That said, I did see the Google Play information on SpaceChem before the bundle launched: it went on sale at the end of June, and in the intervening six weeks, is listed as having sold between 500 and 1000 copies. So, when an excellent game by a designer who has already achieved cult status isn’t getting any mobile traction, you have to wonder whether the problem is the viability of the genre, or the difficulty of finding something good.

• Premium User Badge LTK says:

I’d say that the problem is that the game is balls-to-the-wall hard and unsuitable for the average mobile gamer. Spacechem is more work than play, you really need to sit down and concentrate if you want to make any progress at all. You can’t do nuclear chain fission on a train or a bus.

19. Premium User Badge LTK says:

Did anyone else notice that you can customize your contribution to pay more or less to specific developers? I never knew that was possible! Humble support told me they’ve had that option since the fourth bundle. I can’t believe I missed that all this time.

I remember someone on RPS saying that they didn’t want to give money to a certain developer featured in the bundle (I think the dev was McMillen) but that turns out to be perfectly doable. You just drop the menu down and slide one of the bars down to zero.

Now, since I already owned Spacechem, I could reduce my contribution to Zachtronics to zero… but really, Spacechem is awesome, I’m not going to stop giving Zach my money, even if it is just a little bit.

• MrTambourineMan says:

McMillen’s games are awesome, I’ve put more time in Binding of Isaac than in any other game in past 2 years.

20. mwoody says:

Aww, I’d totally go for SpaceChem on my phone, but tablet-only means no go. Ah well; hard to see how it would work on the small screen anyway.

21. Premium User Badge Earl-Grey says:

Oh god, Space Chem. Just reading the name makes my brain squeal in agony.
    I just can’t figure it out. Every time I sit down to play it feels like work, and then it makes me cry.

• JD Ogre says:

It definitely doesn’t pull any punches – I never made it past the tutorial. Hell, even the tutorial made my brain hurt ‘cos it made absolutely no sense to me… :(

• Premium User Badge Earl-Grey says:

I belive I made it to level three or four, that was sometime around christmas. Haven’t thouched the infernal thing since.
        All the timing, and the triggers, and the combining and the spinning…it’s just Too Much Hard Work.
        Then I tried looking for solutions on YouTube…but…I still couldn’t get it right! *sobs*